The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

His Orangeness had others make the calls, so his stubby little fingers could rest for his next tweet. Or Putin's people made the call to deliver their instructions.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote:
“As of right now, I don’t have any evidence of any phone calls. It doesn’t mean they don’t exist. . . . What I’ve been told by many folks is that there’s nothing there,” Nunes (R-Calif.) said.

Nunes contended there was no need at this time for a special prosecutor to investigate allegations of contact between Russian officials and Trump campaign aides.
This statement is amazing. He's saying that he personally right now doesn't have evidence, that it may or may not exist, but that the fact that he's been told by "many folks" that there's nothing there is sufficient for there not to be an investigation.

For context, the ranking democrat on the committee said that they haven't reviewed any documents or taken any testimony. Which is consistent with Nunes's "I don't actually want to investigate this" statement above.
Black Lives Matter.
PLW

Post by PLW »

To be fair.. I never see much when my eyes are closed, either.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Archinerd wrote: Trump actually does do a pretty good job of doing what he says he's going to do. His policies are just based on lies.
The flaw with that line of reasoning is that he was that he was 1) often very vague and 2) he took many positions on many issues

It's easy to say you've followed through on something you've said when you were intentionally vague and took multiple positions on lots of issues.

(And yes, his policies are based on lies, too)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Remember the good old days, when Trump (knowing more than the generals) had a secret plan for destroying IS?

Pentagon delivers draft plan to defeat Islamic State to White House
A Pentagon-led preliminary plan to defeat Islamic State was delivered to the White House on Monday and U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was expected to brief senior administration officials, a Defense Department spokesman told reporters.

Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis told reporters that it was the framework for a broader plan and looked at Islamic State around the world, not just Iraq and Syria.

Davis said the plan would define what defeating Islamic State meant and was one that would "rapidly" defeat the militant group.

He added that Mattis would discuss the plan, which is primarily a written one with accompanying graphics, with members of the Cabinet-level Principals Committee.
I'm a little disappointed to find that it is primarily written, with graphics. I was hoping for something involving interpretive dance.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote:Remember the good old days, when Trump (knowing more than the generals) had a secret plan for destroying IS?

Pentagon delivers draft plan to defeat Islamic State to White House
A Pentagon-led preliminary plan to defeat Islamic State was delivered to the White House on Monday and U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was expected to brief senior administration officials, a Defense Department spokesman told reporters.

Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis told reporters that it was the framework for a broader plan and looked at Islamic State around the world, not just Iraq and Syria.

Davis said the plan would define what defeating Islamic State meant and was one that would "rapidly" defeat the militant group.

He added that Mattis would discuss the plan, which is primarily a written one with accompanying graphics, with members of the Cabinet-level Principals Committee.
I'm a little disappointed to find that it is primarily written, with graphics. I was hoping for something involving interpretive dance.
Ah yes, the great Powerpoint army......
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Kraken wrote: At least NASA should be safe, if the rumors about Trump's (literal) moonshot are true. NASA has been directed to explore making the first flight of Orion crewed, essentially duplicating Apollo 8, and Trump would like to see that happen before the 2020 election. If NASA wants to protect their budget I'm sure they'll find that it's feasible.
I hadn't heard about this. So the plan is to do what we did 50 years ago or is there something more that I'm missing? I'm all for space flight, but that seems a pretty big waste of money when we could be using it for other things (manned mission to Mars?).
Max Peck covered it. NASA is cautious. Trump is not cautious.

Neither is Elon Musk, who has announced that he, too, wants to duplicate Apollo 8, and he wants to do it next year. That's even bolder than Trump's reelection stunt if they follow through. The SpaceX capsule isn't even man-rated yet, the heavy booster hasn't flown, and their cargo booster blows up more often than one would like.

Musk's focused on Mars. Officially, so is NASA. But it's looking more and more likely that NASA's going to try to beat China to the moon in the '20s.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lengthy NYT piece on Bannon, Sessions, and the Justice Department.
Department of Justification
Stephen Bannon and Jeff Sessions, the new attorney general, have long shared a vision for remaking America. Now the nation’s top law-enforcement agency can serve as a tool for enacting it.

BY EMILY BAZELONFEB. 28, 2017
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Business Insider
In a time of extreme policy confusion, 3% GDP growth is one of the only firm targets we have to hang onto.

The problem is that in interview after interview, Donald Trump and his surrogates have demonstrated that they have no idea how to get there.

Take, for example, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross' confirmation hearing. He told senators that a combination of tax reform, a more self-sufficient energy policy, and increasing exports would do the trick.
Chief White House Economic Adviser Gary Cohn has also talked about the magic path to 3% GDP growth, mostly saying that tax reform and deregulation would get us there. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the target was "very achievable" and spouted the same lines.

Unfortunately, that's not how GDP growth works.

GDP growth is a function of how many workers enter the workforce and how productive those workers are. It has nothing to do with energy consumption or how much we export — unless that manages to bring in more workers.

"The problem for the Trumpians is that we've had eight years of recovery," Lee Branstetter, a professor of economics at Carnegie Mellon University, told Business Insider. "Now unemployment is well below 5%, and there's just not a lot of slack in the US labor market. ... It's essentially mathematically impossible to get the growth they're talking about."
A lot of Trump's ideas — like increasing the defense budget, cutting taxes, and slashing budgets for tiny programs — come from the Reagan playbook.

GDP growth was stronger during his presidency, but it wasn't because of those policies. Again, it was a function of demographics. Reagan, more like Obama, took office during a deep recession, when there was plenty of slack in the labor market.

"Back in the '80s, baby boomers were coming into the labor force, and many women were entering the workforce for the first time, too," Branstetter said. "That resulted in the workforce increasing by 1.7%, and because of technological advancement, productivity growth was running at about 1.7% as well."

That's where you get your 3% GDP growth number.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Instead, Trump is going to shrink the labor force and discount education. We might get a one time burst of investment in worker-replacing technology paid by tax breaks.

The border tax is going to cause its own economic chaos.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Step 1: Gut the government workforce
Step 2: Claim it is inefficient and the functions need to be privatized
Step 3: Profit!!

AP:
6:56 a.m.

President Donald Trump acknowledges that there remains hundreds of unfilled jobs in his administration, but says "they're unnecessary to have."

In an interview with Fox News Channel's "Fox & Friends" that aired Tuesday, Trump says he has no intention of filling many of the open positions.

He says, "I say, 'What do all these people do?' You don't need all those jobs."

Trump also says that some are looking to criticize him for eliminating those positions, but he adds, "That's not a bad thing. That's a good thing. We're running a very good, efficient government."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If I rip open an old watch and shake out the gears, then pick up a few of them and stuff them back in, I can't close it up and then declare "This works great!" as I show people how the hands on the front just flop and spin without control. The only objective you can possibly accomplish with that is supporting people who hate time and want to live without it.

The only people who are going to benefit from what Trump is doing will be large scale businesses who will be allowed to plunder and ravage the American landscape with impunity until we spend 30 years trying to rein them in. It's not at all unsettling that Trump and his clan will be riding that charge while screaming "PROFIT!!!" after he's left office.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Can someone definitively say what time Fuckhead's speech is today? I've tried Googling and have come up with 3 different answers - 5 EST, 7 EST and 9 EST. Which is correct?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

tgb wrote:Can someone definitively say what time Fuckhead's speech is today? I've tried Googling and have come up with 3 different answers - 5 EST, 7 EST and 9 EST. Which is correct?
I am hearing it's 9:00 EST
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tgb wrote:Can someone definitively say what time Fuckhead's speech is today? I've tried Googling and have come up with 3 different answers - 5 EST, 7 EST and 9 EST. Which is correct?
I really don't know - but I'm inclined to think the NY Times did some checking and got it right.
NY Times wrote:Mr. Trump’s address is scheduled to begin shortly after 9 p.m. The New York Times will be providing live coverage.
Page last updated at 1:36pm
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I don't think I need to listen to an hour of rambling bullshit. I'll just catch the summary on fake news sites tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:I don't think I need to listen to an hour of rambling bullshit. I'll just catch the summary on fake news sites tomorrow.
Yup.

As a side note, I hope that somebody's organizing Nielsen families to not watch.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The Root has a drinking game for anyone interested:
http://www.theroot.com/the-donald-trump ... 1792821218

As long as he stays on the 'prompter it shouldn't result in too much alcohol poisoning.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote:The Root has a drinking game for anyone interested:
http://www.theroot.com/the-donald-trump ... 1792821218

As long as he stays on the 'prompter it shouldn't result in too much alcohol poisoning.
Unless his aides have finally managed to nerve staple him, he won't confine himself to the teleprompter.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ThinkProgress
In an interview with the Miami Herald published Sunday, Bill Owens — father of Chief Ryan Owens, the 36-year-old Navy SEAL who died during President Trump’s first military operation — criticized the Yemen raid, and said he doesn’t have any interest in talking with Trump.

“Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn’t even barely a week into [President Trump’s] administration?” Owens said. “For two years prior… everything was missiles and drones (in Yemen)… Now all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?”

Trump was asked about Owens’ comments during a Fox & Friends interview that aired Tuesday morning. He responded by trying to blame President Obama for a mission Trump gave final approval for over dinner with his advisers during his first full weekend as president.

“Well, this was a mission that was started before I got here,” Trump said. “This was something that was, you know, they wanted to do. They came to see me, they explained what they wanted to do — the generals, who are very respected, my generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe.”
And despite Trump’s attempt to dodge accountability, NBC reports that “[p]lans for the raid were begun during the Obama administration, but Obama officials declined to sign off on what officials described as a significant escalation in Yemen. Just five days in, Trump greenlighted the mission.”
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Isn't it funny how during the campaign, Trump said that the generals were terrible and crumbling, but now that he's in office, they're suddenly great? We know he didn't just replace all of them. He does realize that those generals probably still remember what he said about them before, and are comparing it to what he's saying about them now, right?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"You know I love you, baby. I didn't mean all those things that I said. I'll be better in the future. You just make me so angry sometimes."
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Trump wrote:my generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe.
His generals?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

During a meeting Tuesday with state attorneys general, President Trump apparently suggested the recent spate of anti-Semitic threats across the U.S. could have been an attempt to make other people "look bad." When asked about the fact that there have been 89 bomb threats at 72 Jewish community centers and schools in the U.S. and Canada since the start of 2017, Trump reportedly responded by saying "sometimes it's the reverse." "He just said, 'Sometimes it's the reverse, to make people — or to make others — look bad,' and he used the word 'reverse' I would say two or three times in his comments," Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro said.
link
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Truly ripian logic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm not even sure what "reverse" means in that context. Sometimes JCCs threaten callers?
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Maybe Jewish people are calling in bomb threats to Christian community centers or something?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote:I'm not even sure what "reverse" means in that context. Sometimes JCCs threaten callers?
He's saying it might not be anti-semites toppling Jewish graves and threatening JCCs, but someone who wants to make Trump look bad by having such terrible things happen after he became president. Or something. The dude is an Info Wars-consuming nutjob.

Also, this isn't new. He made the same "false flag" accusation at his off the rails news conference last week. I think it got lost behind all the other crazy stuff that happened during that event.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OMFG. Trump has been talking to Alex Jones again.

I wish I hadn't, but I glanced at InfoWars on this. Over there the discussion is all about how these threats are false flags, either Jews calling in the threats on themselves to make Trump's America look bad or else some kind of civil war between Orthodox and Reform Jews.

I can't believe Trump said this out loud.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Defiant wrote:
During a meeting Tuesday with state attorneys general, President Trump apparently suggested the recent spate of anti-Semitic threats across the U.S. could have been an attempt to make other people "look bad." When asked about the fact that there have been 89 bomb threats at 72 Jewish community centers and schools in the U.S. and Canada since the start of 2017, Trump reportedly responded by saying "sometimes it's the reverse." "He just said, 'Sometimes it's the reverse, to make people — or to make others — look bad,' and he used the word 'reverse' I would say two or three times in his comments," Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro said.
link
That's the line for me. NOTHING he does from here on out will ever redeem him in my eyes. He is done, I want him out.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

My bomb threats are tremendous! They are the best bomb threats! Are you threatening me?!?! I am the great cornholio!
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What an asshole.

(Which seems to be my every-day mantra now)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote:Instead, Trump is going to shrink the labor force and discount education. We might get a one time burst of investment in worker-replacing technology paid by tax breaks.

The border tax is going to cause its own economic chaos.
An ex-Fed official called Trump's proposals "a sugar high." As noted, the economy is already functioning near capacity. Deficit-fueled labor shortages would be good for wages, but the wages of wages is inflation and higher interest rates. (I'm assuming they won't encourage immigration.)

By my calculations, this sugar high would wear off just about the time we elect a Democrat to clean up all the vomit.
El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:I don't think I need to listen to an hour of rambling bullshit. I'll just catch the summary on fake news sites tomorrow.
Yup.

As a side note, I hope that somebody's organizing Nielsen families to not watch.
I'm just now getting over my seasonal depression. I don't need the aggravation. He's aggravating enough in print media.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote:OMFG. Trump has been talking to Alex Jones again.
Or David Duke, who tweeted a week ago: "President Trump, do you think it might be the Jews themselves making these calls to get sympathy to push their ethnic agenda?"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Incidentally, the InfoWars forums are nauseatingly anti-semitic.

I steer clear of the really angry right-wing sites and I never read comments on YouTube, so I don't often encounter pure Hitler-level bullshit hatred.

InfoWars has it in buckets. The next time someone tells you that only jihadists are truly anti-semitic, hold your nose and give that site a visit.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I'm not even sure what "reverse" means in that context. Sometimes JCCs threaten callers?
He's saying it might not be anti-semites toppling Jewish graves and threatening JCCs, but someone who wants to make Trump look bad by having such terrible things happen after he became president. Or something. The dude is an Info Wars-consuming nutjob.

Also, this isn't new. He made the same "false flag" accusation at his off the rails news conference last week. I think it got lost behind all the other crazy stuff that happened during that event.
That's not the reverse of anti-semites calling in bomb threats to JCCs, though. I mean, not that I expect Trump to be a master of precision, but still.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I need someone to get me press credentials so I can ask President Trump about reverse vampires.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote:I need someone to get me press credentials so I can ask President Trump about reverse vampires.
We're through the looking glass here, people.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
tgb

Post by tgb »

He's right. If it weren't for all the damn Jews in Europe, Hitler might have gotten some really good press.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.