50 Reported Dead, 53 Injured In Shooting At Fl. Club

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: 50 Reported Dead, 53 Injured In Shooting At Fl. Club

Post by GreenGoo »

Enough wrote: I also wish they would start calling this more than just radical Islamic terror, but then it's probably too long for a lede to say American homophobe with a history of domestic abuse, who likely found some fertile ground for his homophobia, misogyny and abusiveness in ISIS propaganda, heh.
And there is evidence that he committed himself to 2 or 3 different organizations (I don't recall off the top of my head) that are explicit enemies of each other, although all are Islamic extremists, so it's not like he had a coherent view or strong ideological identification with any of them, or he would have understood the differences between the groups.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

This particular shooting is really hurting me and my wife.

My wife has several really close gay and lesbian friends she has known for 20+ years. On occasion she will go out to clubs and drag shows for fun. I've met all these people and I can tell you these are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Any of them would literally drop whatever they are doing and help my wife with anything she'd need.

To read the hate and accusations against the gay community, particularly after this massacre, is hurtful beyond measure.

I'm not a religious guy and I don't believe in God. However, if there is something out there after this life and punishment is dealt out according to how you've lived now, there are plenty of scum bags getting theirs.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sorry Xmann. When people in power are willing to make laws about bathrooms just to screw with a person's sense of gender identity, we've got a long way to go towards acceptance. The attack was horrific. The public response has been both glorious on the one hand and ugly on the other.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote:Sorry Xmann. When people in power are willing to make laws about bathrooms just to screw with a person's sense of gender identity, we've got a long way to go towards acceptance. The attack was horrific. The public response has been both glorious on the one hand and ugly on the other.
The "in your face" agenda of the LGBT community/news/gov't/Zuckerberg should probably consider that they may share some blame in this. Constantly bombarding your enemy is bound to upset some of them, particularly a Radical Islamic dude. I'm not saying he doesn't bear 99.99999999% of the blame, but they should just consider how they promote themselves. Nobody likes to constantly hear somebody quoting John 3:16 either.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Even assigning 0.0000000001% of the blame to the victims is so beyond the pale I don't know what to say.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

em2nought wrote:The "in your face" agenda of the LGBT community/news/gov't/Zuckerberg should probably consider that they may share some blame in this. Constantly bombarding your enemy is bound to upset some of them, particularly a Radical Islamic dude. I'm not saying he doesn't bear 99.99999999% of the blame, but they should just consider how they promote themselves. Nobody likes to constantly hear somebody quoting John 3:16 either.
Thanks for letting us know that we should never care about what you have to say again. There's no place for victim blaming, even if it's 0.00000001%.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

em2nought wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Sorry Xmann. When people in power are willing to make laws about bathrooms just to screw with a person's sense of gender identity, we've got a long way to go towards acceptance. The attack was horrific. The public response has been both glorious on the one hand and ugly on the other.
The "in your face" agenda of the LGBT community/news/gov't/Zuckerberg should probably consider that they may share some blame in this. Constantly bombarding your enemy is bound to upset some of them, particularly a Radical Islamic dude. I'm not saying he doesn't bear 99.99999999% of the blame, but they should just consider how they promote themselves. Nobody likes to constantly hear somebody quoting John 3:16 either.
Kinda like women who don't wear clothing that fully cover their bodies share some blame if someone decide to rape them.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I see no mention of assigning blame to the victims in my statement. Maybe I should have said to the leadership in their communities instead. Nice quick twisting of my words to suit your purposes though.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

em2nought wrote:
Are you fucking serious? That's some grade A stupidity right there. Jesus fuckballs on a pogo stick.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rip

Post by Rip »

tgb wrote:Even assigning 0.0000000001% of the blame to the victims is so beyond the pale I don't know what to say.
Unless of course they are Trump supporters. Anything they fall victim to lands at the feet of Trump and themselves.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

em2nought wrote:
Yeah, sort of like when election volunteers get murdered in the south during the civil rights movement. Nobody likes hearing what they don't like to hear. Those uppity civil rights folks wanting to vote and all.

Oh and no, I don't think the LGBT community shares any blame in this and such an opinion is not only asinine but pretty damn inflammatory.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:I see no mention of assigning blame to the victims in my statement. Maybe I should have said to the leadership in their communities instead. Nice quick twisting of my words to suit your purposes though.
Sadly, there's no twisting needed to understand who you are. You've expressed pretty ugly sentiments like this before.
Rip wrote:
tgb wrote:Even assigning 0.0000000001% of the blame to the victims is so beyond the pale I don't know what to say.
Unless of course they are Trump supporters. Anything they fall victim to lands at the feet of Trump and themselves.
And your mentor chimes in... :roll:
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

em2nought wrote:The "in your face" agenda of the LGBT community/news/gov't/Zuckerberg should probably consider that they may share some blame in this. Constantly bombarding your enemy is bound to upset some of them, particularly a Radical Islamic dude. I'm not saying he doesn't bear 99.99999999% of the blame, but they should just consider how they promote themselves. Nobody likes to constantly hear somebody quoting John 3:16 either.
Nobody likes to constantly hear somebody quoting John 3:16, which is why we blame Christians when someone guns them down for doing it, right?
em2nought wrote:I see no mention of assigning blame to the victims in my statement. Maybe I should have said to the leadership in their communities instead. Nice quick twisting of my words to suit your purposes though.
You're absolutely blaming them. Your "99.9999%" is just a fig leaf; the whole point of your post is that they shouldn't have been so "in your face" about existing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:
Totally uncalled for.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

em2nought wrote:The "in your face" agenda of the LGBT community/news/gov't/Zuckerberg should probably consider that they may share some blame in this.
Its always fun to see a person defend their bigotry with lies right after they put that bigotry in print.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you don't want to see GLBTs kissing in public, then why attack the "safe" place where they can kiss in private? From the start your whole argument is just plain ignorant, em2. It also brings the homophobia out more clearly.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

msteelers wrote:
Thanks for letting us know that we should never care about what you have to say again. There's no place for victim blaming, even if it's 0.00000001%.
For me from the get go in the first sentence...now I have him permanently on the ignore list.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

So yesterday brought us Newt Gingrinch wistfully yearning for the return of one of the black marks on our past, restarting the House Un-American Activities Committee (which is at least the most appropriate name for a committee of all-time, considering that I can think of few things that represent a more Un-American Activity than such a committee). That was followed up by some sweet lecturing from Ted Cruz about how liberals should really be defending the LGBT community from anti-LGBT violence (HINT: coincidentally, it turns out that in the eyes of Ted Cruz, he is a champion of protecting this community from violence, because he understands that the countries that are his enemies engage in horrific treatment of the LGBT community).

Which would be a more compelling point if Ted Cruz didn't make it a habit of cozying up to people in this country that yearn to engage in the horrific treatment of the LGBT community. Where was his bravery and courage when he was being introduced to the National Religious Liberties Conference by Pastor Kevin Swanson - WHO HAD LITERALLY JUST GOTTEN DONE EXPLAINING TO THE CROWD THAT THE US SHOULD ENFORCE THE DEATH PENALTY FOR BEING HOMOSEXUAL, AND THAT THROWING THEM OFF OF CLIFFS WOULD MAKE A GOOD START?

Where was your bravery then Ted, when you embraced that despicable piece of shit?

And of course, the NRA blaming Orlando on political correctness and Obama. I mean Jesus H. Christ.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trivializing any attempt to decry bigotry by denouncing it as "political correctness" is the new rallying cry of the homophobic and racist portion of our country. It's like calling someone a "Red" during the era of McCarthyism.
Covfefe!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I just don't know what to say...
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sort of like when I hear the word 'thug' being used as the new less filling N-word with the same terrible taste. I mean not every usage - Game of Thrones calling someone a thug would probably refer to the traditional usage - but if say thug is used in any news source's comments section.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

em2nought wrote: The "in your face" agenda of the LGBT community/news/gov't/Zuckerberg should probably consider that they may share some blame in this. Constantly bombarding your enemy is bound to upset some of them, particularly a Radical Islamic dude. I'm not saying he doesn't bear 99.99999999% of the blame, but they should just consider how they promote themselves. Nobody likes to constantly hear somebody quoting John 3:16 either.
Go to hell.

*plonk*
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote:
I've always maintained that although we may disagree on things, I would always have respect for every one of my OO brothers and sisters. Sadly, I have finally found the exception to that rule.

I'm embarrassed to share digital space with you.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

A reminder that it is against forum policy (such as it is) to publicly announce putting people on your ignore list. That was a major concern with implementing ignore lists to begin with, because announcements of them cause problems.

Thanks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW - sorry for the confusion and the unintentional rule breaking - I was talked metaphorically. I forgot that ignore lists were a 'feature'.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Changing Hearts and Minds:
's Republican lieutenant governor surprised many with his speech at a vigil for victims of the Orlando shooting on Monday, where he apologized for his previous attitude and actions against LGBT people, KSL.com reported...

..."I grew up in a small town and went to a small rural high school," he said, according to the news site. "There were some kids in my class that were different. Sometimes I wasn’t kind to them. I didn’t know it at the time, but I know now that they were gay. I will forever regret not treating them with the kindness, dignity and respect — the love — that they deserved. For that, I sincerely and humbly apologize."...

..."Over the intervening years, my heart has changed," he said, according to KSL. "It has changed because of you. It has changed because I have gotten to know many of you. You have been patient with me. You helped me learn the right letters of the alphabet in the right order even though you keep adding new ones. You have been kind to me."
Kudos. Need more like him who don't need tragedies to change their minds.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote:Changing Hearts and Minds:
's Republican lieutenant governor
For those wondering, the correct answer is Utah.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Pyperkub wrote:Changing Hearts and Minds:
's Republican lieutenant governor surprised many with his speech at a vigil for victims of the Orlando shooting on Monday, where he apologized for his previous attitude and actions against LGBT people, KSL.com reported...

..."I grew up in a small town and went to a small rural high school," he said, according to the news site. "There were some kids in my class that were different. Sometimes I wasn’t kind to them. I didn’t know it at the time, but I know now that they were gay. I will forever regret not treating them with the kindness, dignity and respect — the love — that they deserved. For that, I sincerely and humbly apologize."...

..."Over the intervening years, my heart has changed," he said, according to KSL. "It has changed because of you. It has changed because I have gotten to know many of you. You have been patient with me. You helped me learn the right letters of the alphabet in the right order even though you keep adding new ones. You have been kind to me."
This. Things like this are the cure for my cynicism and help to move us forward to a better path. Week made.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I never thought I'd be envious of Utah's Lt. Gov over my own.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Enough wrote:Something interesting my dad pointed out: the media is actually wrong about this being the largest US mass killing. Wounded Knee? Sand Creek (2/3 of the killed American Indians were women and children for that one)? Ludlow?
I've heard most saying largest "in recent history" since it happened, but I guess it depends on the source.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've had at least one gay, and several who are bisexual. I've been to at least one LGBT club, and no not to scope it out as a potential target. I've got no problem with LGBT people personally. It seems like there are two sets of rules in this country now. The left are permitted to say anything they want. The right can't even share an idea that crosses their mind without being labeled a pariah.
Toe

Post by Toe »

em2nought wrote:I've had at least one gay, and several who are bisexual...
Oh really? :think:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Toe wrote:
em2nought wrote:I've had at least one gay, and several who are bisexual...
Oh really? :think:
Really, I hang out with swingers. My member's probably even touched another man's semen. I don't feel like killing anyone because of it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

em2nought wrote:I've had at least one gay, and several who are bisexual. I've been to at least one LGBT club, and no not to scope it out as a potential target. I've got no problem with LGBT people personally. It seems like there are two sets of rules in this country now. The left are permitted to say anything they want. The right can't even share an idea that crosses their mind without being labeled a pariah.
It must be really hard to just want to be yourself and be treated equally like everyone else.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

msteelers wrote:
em2nought wrote:I've had at least one gay, and several who are bisexual. I've been to at least one LGBT club, and no not to scope it out as a potential target. I've got no problem with LGBT people personally. It seems like there are two sets of rules in this country now. The left are permitted to say anything they want. The right can't even share an idea that crosses their mind without being labeled a pariah.
It must be really hard to just want to be yourself and be treated equally like everyone else.
That's a valid point, it used to be the other way around. Y'all didn't like that too much either I suspect.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RE: "In your face agendas", I honestly can't imagine living in a world where I would fear for my safety walking around holding hands with my wife in public. The idea that someone would potentially seek to cause us harm because we're displaying "in your face" heterosexual affection in public is something I can't even conceptualize. It boggles the mind.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

em2nought wrote:The left are permitted to say anything they want. The right can't even share an idea that crosses their mind without being labeled a pariah.
Well, that's not precisely true, but as a rule, the left are allowed to say things they want to say like "everyone deserves the dignity of being who they are without fear of persecution", while the right is occasionally reviled and labeled a pariah because ideas like "these people are an abomination and should be given the death penalty" cross their mind and then escape their stupid lips.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: It seems like there are two sets of rules in this country now. The left are permitted to say anything they want. The right can't even share an idea that crosses their mind without being labeled a pariah.
I think there's a third rule now too. The right can say any bigoted thing they want just as long as they trivialize the backlash as people being too uptight.

And did I read you right? Did you seriously just try to justify saying that the gay community should be blaming themselves for this tragedy because they're too "in your face" about their desire to be treated as equals in our society...by stating you may have touched a man's bodily fluids at some point?
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:And did I read you right? Did you seriously just try to justify saying that the gay community should be blaming themselves for this tragedy because they're too "in your face" about their desire to be treated as equals in our society...by stating you may have touched a man's bodily fluids at some point?
Stop twisting his words.
Spoiler:
The man's fluids touched HIM.
See, he's the victim here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Off this goes to R&P since there are few updates and it's mostly R&P now.

Carry on.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT