Gun Politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Gun Politics

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm Sounds like a good start.
Seems flimsy unless they have some kind of evidence that they planned to commit felonies. The harboring and transportating charges I can see.

There's no doubt in my mind that they intended mischief and I'm glad they got picked up but proving it is a different matter.

"William Garfield Bilbrough IV." It's like the Mayflower landed at The Shire.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:06 pm "William Garfield Bilbrough IV." It's like the Mayflower landed at The Shire.
On a Monday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There were rumblings in the gun community among single issue voters that voting Democrat in the presidential race wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

The logic was there under Obama gun sales soared and no gun rights were lost. Under Trump there have been the "Trump slump" and gun rights have been weakened (Trump's bump-stock ban and his statements in throwing out due process for red flag laws). Also, they argued, 2A support organizations were more active and fired up with a Democrat in the White House.

Tenuous as it was, it was gaining traction. That's probably done now, thanks to VA.

"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Virginia 'experiment' shows that even limited attempts to address gun violence are going to be amplified through the right-wing outrage machine recklessly. Perhaps the Dems in VA went too far too fast drafting three separate laws but it probably didn't matter. Even the background check bill alone would have led to this mayhem probably. My Virginian colleague said to me the other day that they over-rotated on the issue. Fair enough but the outrage machine still spun up enough nuts that the FBI felt they needed to step in to prevent violence. And our President is egging it on. This country is an insane mess.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The measures being protested by armed "militias" seem utterly sane and reasonable.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 pm The measures being protested by armed "militias" seem utterly sane and reasonable.

Those are the laws that passed the VA Senate. There are several other proposed bills that are being protested.

MYT
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:24 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 pm The measures being protested by armed "militias" seem utterly sane and reasonable.

Those are the laws that passed the VA Senate. There are several other proposed bills that are being protested.
None of the other bills are going anywhere. These are the only three that will pass.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fireball wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:24 pm

None of the other bills are going anywhere. These are the only three that will pass.
So partial victory for both sides? No one is happy? Everyone is happy?

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isn't there an assault weapons ban too?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:09 am Isn't there an assault weapons ban too?
No.

Earlier this week, the Senate Judiciary Committee made waves by killing controversial Senate Bill 16, which would have re-defined and banned assault bills [sic], while passing several other gun bills.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a supporter of guns. I own guns and have since I was a little kid. Grew up with them. I dont want my gun right infringed upon. But I dont see any use for a everyday citizen to own an assault rifle anymore than they should own a minigun or a rocket launcher. No use for it. You dont need an assault rifle for home or personal protection or hunting. Rifles, shotguns, handguns are plenty. I think a gun owners biggest fear is by banning one thing you start down a road of banning it all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:42 pm I think a gun owners biggest fear is by banning one thing you start down a road of banning it all.
That's part of it. The other is how "assault weapons" are defined. Where I live a 10/22 is a banned assault weapon. But an AR-Pistol is legal.

A vertical foregrip or threaded barrel under the law is more indicative of an "assault weapon" than caliber.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wish MSD would have gone in his Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The .22 I had as a kid held 18 shots. I miss that gun. Pawned it when I was 18 and lost it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The Supreme Court left in place on Monday President Donald Trump's ban on bump stocks, turning away an appeal from owners of the device and gun rights groups.
"Justice Gorsuch's separate opinion isn't about the merits of the bump stocks rule, but rather whether the lower court applied the correct standard of review in considering those merits. The court's denial here suggests that the justices are willing to let lower court litigation over the controversial Trump administration rule run its course before deciding if -- and how -- to intervene," said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.
Last spring, the justices denied a request to temporarily block the administration's rule -- which took effect in April 2019 -- while the issue played out in lower courts. It was the third time the court was asked to issue such an order.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:29 pm The .22 I had as a kid held 18 shots. I miss that gun. Pawned it when I was 18 and lost it.
Well, at least you got off one shot a year before then.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Right now seems like a great time to send this message. I mean, it's not like anything else is happening that you should be concerned about in CO.

I have just one message for Joe Biden and Beto O’Rourke, if you want to take everyone’s AR-15s, why don’t you swing by my office in Washington, D.C. and start with this one?

Come and take it. #2A
Dear Congressman Buck,

You're an asshole

Respectfully,
Smoove_B
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What is that monstrosity? Any gun owmed solely for display is superfluous. What a douche.

He also handles it like the guy who puts 3 rounds in the ceiling at the range.

All about the [perceived] votes.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Way to sweep the room with a gun you haven't determined to be unloaded.

Also, it might actually be illegal to have an AR-15 on government property like your Congressional office, asshole.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Would be kinda funny for someone to call police about a man making threatening comments online while holding an AR-15.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo, Dec '18
House Democrats are looking to roll back a little-known, five-decade-old Capitol Hill regulation that allows members of Congress to keep guns in their offices and carry them around the Capitol grounds.

The effort has been spearheaded by Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.), who has pressed Capitol Hill authorities to revisit the 1967 regulation for months, and he now has the support of Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who has been nominated by her party to become House speaker early next year.
It is unclear how common it is for lawmakers to keep guns in their offices. Multiple Republican lawmakers said this week that they are aware of colleagues who keep guns in the Capitol complex but do not know how widespread the practice is. Bringing firearms legally to Capitol Hill involves complying with strict D.C. gun laws, which include a registration requirement.

Huffman said he has heard rumors about colleagues keeping weapons and carrying them on campus but did not have firsthand knowledge about any particular instance. The House Sergeant at Arms, he said, informed him in a briefing that Capitol authorities do not keep records or track which civilians might be in possession of firearms on the grounds.
The Meal

CO-4 :( :( :(

Post by The Meal »

Ugh. :angry-banghead:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

How many people think Ken Buck would actually shoot and murder Joe Biden or Beto O'Rourke if they came into his office and grabbed that gun?

These guys talk a big game but in the end they're a bunch of pussies. That's why they have to have giant guns hanging on their wall.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 am How many people think Ken Buck would actually shoot and murder Joe Biden or Beto O'Rourke if they came into his office and grabbed that gun?

These guys talk a big game but in the end they're a bunch of pussies. That's why they have to have giant guns hanging on their wall.
There would be a lot of lawyering and discussion amongst the Secret Service and Capitol security. All while Buck and Biden and Beto discussed vacation homes over drinks in the private lounge.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

The silliness of the “Come and Take It” slogan (Leonidas and the 300 Spartans’ Molon labe) is that, well, the Persians actually did come and kick Greek ass and take all the weapons.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:37 pm I see California's law requiring a background check to buy ammo was struck down.
Not so fast
A federal appeals court late Friday ruled that California could continue requiring background checks of ammunition buyers as a challenge to the voter-approved rule makes its way through the justice system.
The California Attorney General's office said in an email Saturday that "California's laws and regulations concerning ammunition transactions and background checks are in effect and will be enforced until further notice while the appellate court considers whether to stay the preliminary injunction for the duration of the appeal."
Attorney General Xavier Bacerra said in his late Friday emergency filing that retailers immediately offered ammo for sale without background checks after Thursday's ruling.

He argued there was a "near certainty that prohibited persons—convicted felons, violent misdemeanants, and others prohibited by law from possessing firearms and ammunition—will have easy access to ammunition" unless the San Diego ruling was paused.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:48 pm Way to sweep the room with a gun you haven't determined to be unloaded.

Also, it might actually be illegal to have an AR-15 on government property like your Congressional office, asshole.
It defiantly has a trigger lock on it. It's grey. If you go full screen you get a nice high res picture you can make it out. Also it may be a replica or firing pin removed. If it's a replica that would be defiantly be ok to have there.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

UsulofDoom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:16 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:48 pm Way to sweep the room with a gun you haven't determined to be unloaded.

It defiantly has a trigger lock on it. It's grey. If you go full screen you get a nice high res picture you can make it out. Also it may be a replica or firing pin removed. If it's a replica that would be defiantly be ok to have there.
1. All guns are always loaded [and functional].

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

4. Identify your target, and what is behind it.
Unless he has a chamber flag he was being a dick. And even then, not off the hook.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If it has a trigger lock or is a replica, then it seems like the least defiant thing that he could do. :coffee:

Aside from that, why would he have a trigger lock on a replica? Is that a common practice?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ah. So he's just *pretending* to threaten to murder his political rivals, with an expensive toy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wat

The Trump admin has lifted a ban on sales of silencers to private overseas buyers that was intended to protect U.S. troops from ambushes.

The change was championed by a lawyer for the president who had worked for a firearms trade group.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NY AG moves to dissolve NRA:
Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.

The suit alleges that top NRA executives misused charitable funds for personal gain, awarded contracts to friends and family members, and provided contracts to former employees to ensure loyalty.

Seeking to dissolve the NRA is the most aggressive sanction James could have sought against the not-for-profit organization, which James has jurisdiction over because it is registered in New York. James has a wide range of authorities relating to nonprofits in the state, including the authority to force organizations to cease operations or dissolve. The NRA is all but certain to contest it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Beat me by seconds.

This is going to be interesting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is going to be stupid. The NY AG just served Trump up a huge favor. Maybe this could have waited a few months.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It'll certainly give him a rallying cry.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:25 pm This is going to be stupid. The NY AG just served Trump up a huge favor. Maybe this could have waited a few months.
My thoughts exactly. :grund:

Regardless of the suit's validity, this is going to provide a huge boost to Trump due to how it will be positioned in the derp-o-sphere ("See, they ARE coming for your guns!!")
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I dunno. I don't think we can sit around an argue "this will embolden Trumpaloos" anymore, particularly with the way everything is going right now. You do something, it encourages them. You do nothing, it encourages them. Time to just take your shot when you have the goods - which apparently she does.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:40 pm I dunno. I don't think we can sit around an argue "this will embolden Trumpaloos" anymore, particularly with the way everything is going right now. You do something, it encourages them. You do nothing, it encourages them. Time to just take your shot when you have the goods - which apparently she does.
She'll have the same goods on November 4th. I won't split hairs - this seems to be about her ambition to be next Governor of NY. That said, I don't think emboldening Trumpaloos is the risk. This is 4th rail stuff that blows out well beyond Trump's base. It might not hurt either in the long run but why take the risk?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe there's some concern over funneling money into the campaign right now and through November? Maybe she thinks the executives in the NRA know they're in trouble and would likely flee the country. There's likely any number of reasons, and yeah, maybe it is tied to her political dreams.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What I find sad/depressing is that this would even trigger that response. That's like saying "abolishing AAA = they are coming for your cars!!!!!1!".
I don't own a gun. But I'm sure that the NRA would happily take my membership $$$.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.