For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Royalty

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Drazzil wrote: Sometimes, very rarely they can serve in leadership/national mascot roles. I am by and large in favor of handling royalty the way the Russians handled their royalty. Round them all up and machine gun them to death in their basements.
I'd hardly call the British royalty a tyrannical rule.
And I thought we were talking about Royalty in general, not the British monarchy specifically.
So... who? You think we should machine gun Leopold II? Richard III? King Friday?

Is there somewhere in the world today where royalty deserves slaughter?
I never did trust that bitch Grace Kelley.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Most of Queen is still around. Freddie is gone though.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Drazzil wrote: Sometimes, very rarely they can serve in leadership/national mascot roles. I am by and large in favor of handling royalty the way the Russians handled their royalty. Round them all up and machine gun them to death in their basements.
And I thought we were talking about Royalty in general, not the British monarchy specifically.
So... who? You think we should machine gun Leopold II? Richard III? King Friday?

I hate to be the designated asshole here, but royalty is a bad idea and historically bad ideas become fashionable every so often. Why don't you think we have seen the Tzars try and make a return, or the French nobility? Because most if not all of those guys are dead. So yes, horrible horrible me for suggesting that we save ourselves a lot of work down the road...
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Big man talk tough
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:Most of Queen is still around. Freddie is gone though.
Don't forget the last great Kings of the 20th century - Freddie, Albert, & B.B.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil wrote:
Holman wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
hepcat wrote:

I hate to be the designated asshole here, but royalty is a bad idea and historically bad ideas become fashionable every so often. Why don't you think we have seen the Tzars try and make a return, or the French nobility? Because most if not all of those guys are dead. So yes, horrible horrible me for suggesting that we save ourselves a lot of work down the road...
Somehow I don't worry about the return of the Bourbons.

But for a really monstrous idea that becomes fashionable every so often, look no further than "let's machine gun all the [xxxxx]'s."
Last edited by Holman on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Drazzil wrote:
If you really don't want to be the designated asshole, stop posting stupid shit.

If you really want to save work down the road, perhaps we should use DNA testing to find everyone with royal blood and kill them all.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

tgb wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
If you really don't want to be the designated asshole, stop posting stupid shit.

If you really want to save work down the road, perhaps we should use DNA testing to find everyone with royal blood and kill them all.
:roll:
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Drazzil wrote:
tgb wrote:
Drazzil wrote:

Roll your eyes all you like, you deserve every bit of scorn you get for the murderous shit you post.
Insert witty comment here.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

TiLT wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
tgb wrote:
Drazzil wrote:

Roll your eyes all you like, you deserve every bit of scorn you get for the murderous shit you post.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is easily one of the weirdest discussion tangents we've had on OO. And that includes buying baby ducks to support the return of Smallville.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:This is easily one of the weirdest discussion tangents we've had on OO. And that includes buying baby ducks to support the return of Smallville.
Not meaning to indulge in self promotion but I thought my post in the Ferguson thread about how some girl's tee shirt had the USS Enterprise on it but it was a dream catcher was pretty odd.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

$iljanus wrote: Not meaning to indulge in self promotion but I thought my post in the Ferguson thread about how some girl's tee shirt had the USS Enterprise on it but it was a dream catcher was pretty odd.
Point.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:This is easily one of the weirdest discussion tangents we've had on OO. And that includes buying baby ducks to support the return of Smallville.

:lol:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

RuperT wrote:
TiLT wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
tgb wrote:
Drazzil wrote:

Right?

That being said. I've been doing some thinking lately, and I really don't think it would serve a purpose to machine gun everyone with royal lineage. I think that if people ever did get it into their heads to install royalty again, they probably wouldn't care if the person had royal blood or not.

So, walking that one back a bit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Someone hasn't been keeping up on their Order of the Stick reading.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote:Someone hasn't been keeping up on their Order of the Stick reading.
I miss something?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Start at comics 624-40, then jump to 842-3, 857, 866-, etc.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Drazzil wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Someone hasn't been keeping up on their Order of the Stick reading.
I miss something?
Yes, only they used sticks instead of machine guns.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Back when monarchs needed killing, it was because they represented impediment to change and they held too much real power (ie, military force) to simply allow them to step aside. Today's monarchs (at least in first world countries) are figureheads a best and have marginal, if any, influence on national policy. Any change that radically changed the government probably would not meet with any significant resistance from those who will soon need real jobs. I suppose it's always possible that a coup by groups that exert their will by force would find such executions would serve their purpose in cowing a resistant populace. I find such a coup in a first world country to be extremely unlikely, however.
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

I could go for some cake right now.
words
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I could give or take on the notion of royalty, but the existence of the Crown has allowed the British to fall ass backwards into one of the best systems of government in the world. Without the Head of State role filled by a figurehead, they can have a pure parliamentary system that is still tethered to some symbol of national unity. I'm very jealous of the Westminster system.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thailand
Thailand’s Royal Palace announced on Thursday that King Bhumibol Adulyadej died at Bangkok’s Siriraj Hospital, and people around the world responded with an outpouring of grief.

Hundreds of Thais had gathered by the hospital since Sunday to chant prayers and offer flowers after news spread of the monarch’s deteriorating health. By Wednesday, the palace announced that the 88-year-old leader’s kidneys and liver were not working properly, and his health had “overall not yet stabilized.”

The king—who was the world’s longest reining monarch, having been on the throne for seven decades—is widely revered in Thailand. He will be succeeded by his son and male heir Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn, says the country’s Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who has led the country since a 2014 coup. He says Thailand will hold a yearlong grieving period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn is somewhat more fashion-forward than his late father:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd have traded them any POtuS, since the Gipper, one for one for King Bhumibol. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Thailand's King Vajiralongkorn has stripped his royal consort of her rank and titles for "misbehaviour and disloyalty against the monarch".

An official announcement said Sineenat Wongvajirapakdi had been "ambitious" and tried to "elevate herself to the same state as the queen".

"The royal consort's behaviours were considered disrespectful," it said.

She was appointed in July, just two months after the king married Queen Suthida, his fourth wife.

Sineenat, who was a major-general and is a trained pilot, nurse and bodyguard, was the first person to be awarded the title of Royal Noble Consort in nearly a century.

Queen Suthida - a 41-year-old former flight attendant and deputy head of his bodyguard unit - is King Vajiralongkorn's long-term partner and has been seen with him in public for many years.
The statement published on Monday said Sineenat had "shown resistance and pressure in every manner to stop the appointment of the Queen" ahead of the coronation in May.
It also accused the royal consort of "resistance against the king and the queen" and of abusing her power to give orders on the king's behalf.

The king, the statement said, had learnt "she neither was grateful to the title bestowed upon her, nor did she behave appropriately according to her status".

He ordered her stripped of all royal titles, decorations, status in the royal guard and her military ranks.
He has had four wives - Princess Soamsawali from 1977 to 1993; Yuvadhida Polpraserth from 1994 to 1996; Srirasmi Suwadee between 2001 and 2014; and Queen Suthida.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 pm BBC
Thailand's King Vajiralongkorn has stripped his royal consort of her rank and titles for "misbehaviour and disloyalty against the monarch".

An official announcement said Sineenat Wongvajirapakdi had been "ambitious" and tried to "elevate herself to the same state as the queen".

"The royal consort's behaviours were considered disrespectful," it said.

She was appointed in July, just two months after the king married Queen Suthida, his fourth wife.

Sineenat, who was a major-general and is a trained pilot, nurse and bodyguard, was the first person to be awarded the title of Royal Noble Consort in nearly a century.

Queen Suthida - a 41-year-old former flight attendant and deputy head of his bodyguard unit - is King Vajiralongkorn's long-term partner and has been seen with him in public for many years.
The statement published on Monday said Sineenat had "shown resistance and pressure in every manner to stop the appointment of the Queen" ahead of the coronation in May.
It also accused the royal consort of "resistance against the king and the queen" and of abusing her power to give orders on the king's behalf.

The king, the statement said, had learnt "she neither was grateful to the title bestowed upon her, nor did she behave appropriately according to her status".

He ordered her stripped of all royal titles, decorations, status in the royal guard and her military ranks.
He has had four wives - Princess Soamsawali from 1977 to 1993; Yuvadhida Polpraserth from 1994 to 1996; Srirasmi Suwadee between 2001 and 2014; and Queen Suthida.
Looks like the Thai king is trying to beat Henry the VIII's record.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guardian
Thailand’s king has reinstated his royal consort almost a year after she was abruptly stripped of her titles and accused of seeking to undermine the queen.

An announcement published in the Royal Gazette said Sineenatra Wongvajirabhakdi had not committed any wrongdoing. “Henceforth, it will be as if she had never been stripped of her military ranks or royal decorations,” it said.
The king, who spends most of his time living in Germany, succeeded his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, in 2016. Since then he has strengthened his authority, bringing the wealth of the crown and key army units under his direct control.

Sineenatra had not been seen publicly since her dramatic fall from grace, and her whereabouts were never made clear.