The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Re: The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Per Twitter (via Captain Caveman), it was just a dude trying to hold up a sign. Crowd panicked, someone yelled "gun", and then the dude got pummeled.
Trump's campaign is already framing this as an "assassination attempt".
Dan Scavino Jr., Trump's social media director, and Donald Trump Jr., the nominee's oldest son, retweeted Jack Posobiec, a supporter who wrote: "Hillary (Clinton) ran away from rain today. Trump is back on stage minutes after assassination attempt."
:roll: :roll:
It's been confirmed that there was no assassination attempt whatsoever.

The protester was actually a registered Republican with a "Republicans Against Trump" sign.
Initially, there was the expected reaction of people around him booing, he said. “And then all of a sudden people next to me are starting to get violent; they’re grabbing at my arm, trying to rip the sign out of my hand,” he said.

He said he could not be sure but “it looked like” Trump was pointing at him, and may have been “instigating something”. Either way, the crowd piled on him, he said, kicking, punching, holding him on the ground and grabbing his testicles.

He said he was a wrestler in his youth and used his training to turn his head to the side to maintain an airway open as he was being choked by one man who had him in a headlock. “But there were people wrenching on my neck they could have strangled me to death,” he added.

Crites said when he was on the ground he heard someone yell “something about a gun” and he kept telling those on top of him that he had merely been holding a sign.

He was unaware, until the Guardian told him, that Trump had been ushered from the stage amid the mayhem.

For his part, Crites said he felt relieved when police arrived and placed him in handcuffs, but said officers had to fend off Trump supporters who continued to attack him.
He's been released with no charges, of course, but that hasn't stopped the assassination attempt meme from propagating.
How long until we start hearing that he was paid by Hlilary and/or the DNC?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Also from CC, Trump running a national ad with classic anti-Semitic tropes. I seriously never thought I would see such a vile person as the head of a major party. And yet 45% of the country is voting for him. What the hell is wrong with people?
So I am 100% anti Trump but this is an extreme stretch. Seriously. It is fitting the narrative people want it to fit by squeezing it in but it honestly doesn't fit. He's said enough ridiculous stuff we don't need to start looking for something when it's a stretch.

Look I'm part of a religious minority with a long history of persecution (not as long as Jews but hey that's hard to top). Last election there were comments made about my religion right and left which were absurd and nothing but an attack on a religious minority. It was disgusting. I'm empathetic to all religious minorities who get targeted, and Trump had targeted them in the past especially Muslims, but this is a stretch. Only if you were trying to find anti Semitism in that ad would you find it. Call a spade a spade. Trump is a racist bigot. There is plenty of evidence of that. That ad is not part of that evidence.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm sure that is what the Clintons tell themselves about Qatar giving homosexuals lashes and tossing them in jail as they extend their hands for that nice big check.

Would you defend Trump the same way if he was on stage giving David Duke a big hug? I mean it isn't like he is responsible for the vile crap that comes out of David Duke's mouth either.

When you take peoples money and embrace them on stage in public you actually are kind of responsible for promoting the vile things they practice/preach. Of course being a misogynist must be a good thing since it is celebrated in performances at the WH.
"Put molly all in her champagne/ She ain't even know it / I took her home and I enjoyed that/ She ain't even know it."
When are they bringing in Bill Cosby for a party?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:I'm sure that is what the Clintons tell themselves about Qatar giving homosexuals lashes and tossing them in jail as they extend their hands for that nice big check.

Would you defend Trump the same way if he was on stage giving David Duke a big hug? I mean it isn't like he is responsible for the vile crap that comes out of David Duke's mouth either.

When you take peoples money and embrace them on stage in public you actually are kind of responsible for promoting the vile things they practice/preach. Of course being a misogynist must be a good thing since it is celebrated in performances at the WH.
"Put molly all in her champagne/ She ain't even know it / I took her home and I enjoyed that/ She ain't even know it."
When you start equating words coming out of Jay Z's mouth to David Duke, there's no point in even arguing.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Rip

Post by Rip »

tgb wrote:
Rip wrote:I'm sure that is what the Clintons tell themselves about Qatar giving homosexuals lashes and tossing them in jail as they extend their hands for that nice big check.

When you start equating words coming out of Jay Z's mouth to David Duke, there's no point in even arguing.
Because treating women like property is different than treating African Americans like property?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Run with that equivalence, Rip. Explain how briefly appearing on stage with Jay Z is the same as invigorating and legitimizing actually avowed, committed racists to the point where they endorse you openly as the white nationalist candidate they've been waiting for.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:Run with that equivalence, Rip. Explain how briefly appearing on stage with Jay Z is the same as invigorating and legitimizing actually avowed, committed racists to the point where they endorse you openly as the white nationalist candidate they've been waiting for.
I'm not legitimizing anything. My hope is that Jay Z doesn't actually believe and practice what his music celebrates. It is still hypocritical to the message of female equality and respect.

But don't mind me, it is their own agenda they are shitting all over.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm not familiar with Jay Z's music at all, so I don't know if it's intended to reflect his own beliefs or if he's just creating characters. For all I know he could be the Black Randy Newman (NSFW).
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Technically that's true, if they were all Supergirl.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

tgb wrote:
Holman wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Per Twitter (via Captain Caveman), it was just a dude trying to hold up a sign. Crowd panicked, someone yelled "gun", and then the dude got pummeled.
Trump's campaign is already framing this as an "assassination attempt".
Dan Scavino Jr., Trump's social media director, and Donald Trump Jr., the nominee's oldest son, retweeted Jack Posobiec, a supporter who wrote: "Hillary (Clinton) ran away from rain today. Trump is back on stage minutes after assassination attempt."
:roll: :roll:
It's been confirmed that there was no assassination attempt whatsoever.

The protester was actually a registered Republican with a "Republicans Against Trump" sign.
Initially, there was the expected reaction of people around him booing, he said. “And then all of a sudden people next to me are starting to get violent; they’re grabbing at my arm, trying to rip the sign out of my hand,” he said.

He said he could not be sure but “it looked like” Trump was pointing at him, and may have been “instigating something”. Either way, the crowd piled on him, he said, kicking, punching, holding him on the ground and grabbing his testicles.

He said he was a wrestler in his youth and used his training to turn his head to the side to maintain an airway open as he was being choked by one man who had him in a headlock. “But there were people wrenching on my neck they could have strangled me to death,” he added.

Crites said when he was on the ground he heard someone yell “something about a gun” and he kept telling those on top of him that he had merely been holding a sign.

He was unaware, until the Guardian told him, that Trump had been ushered from the stage amid the mayhem.

For his part, Crites said he felt relieved when police arrived and placed him in handcuffs, but said officers had to fend off Trump supporters who continued to attack him.
He's been released with no charges, of course, but that hasn't stopped the assassination attempt meme from propagating.
How long until we start hearing that he was paid by Hlilary and/or the DNC?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! (1:35 in)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymann wrote:
Apparently, you missed that very special episode, where she was drugged with rokryptonol.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote:
Women aren't the only victims of rape.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

In her world, they are.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Also from CC, Trump running a national ad with classic anti-Semitic tropes. I seriously never thought I would see such a vile person as the head of a major party. And yet 45% of the country is voting for him. What the hell is wrong with people?
So I am 100% anti Trump but this is an extreme stretch. Seriously. It is fitting the narrative people want it to fit by squeezing it in but it honestly doesn't fit. He's said enough ridiculous stuff we don't need to start looking for something when it's a stretch.

Look I'm part of a religious minority with a long history of persecution (not as long as Jews but hey that's hard to top). Last election there were comments made about my religion right and left which were absurd and nothing but an attack on a religious minority. It was disgusting. I'm empathetic to all religious minorities who get targeted, and Trump had targeted them in the past especially Muslims, but this is a stretch. Only if you were trying to find anti Semitism in that ad would you find it. Call a spade a spade. Trump is a racist bigot. There is plenty of evidence of that. That ad is not part of that evidence.
I have to agree, I don't see any thing anti-Semitic here. I didn't even know what Soros or Yellen were Jewish, and I suspect a lot of people didn't even know who they were in the video. I think this accusation is a stretch and I can't stand Trump.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:
Holman wrote:Run with that equivalence, Rip. Explain how briefly appearing on stage with Jay Z is the same as invigorating and legitimizing actually avowed, committed racists to the point where they endorse you openly as the white nationalist candidate they've been waiting for.
I'm not legitimizing anything. My hope is that Jay Z doesn't actually believe and practice what his music celebrates. It is still hypocritical to the message of female equality and respect.

Far be it from me to agree with Rip, but he does have a point. It's more than a bit hypocritical to call out Trump for his alleged activities and then have a singer who describes the same thing in his songs on your get out the vote tour. Yeah, singing about it is not the same as doing it but still . . .
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It's not overt, and I imagine those that are much more sensitive about antiSemitism - either because they are Jewish or aware of Jewish persecution or, on the flip side, because they believe in anti-Semitic tropes and conspiracy theories - are far more likely to recognize them, but the overtones that are present, and they are consistent both with anti-Semitic things Trump has said, and the pandering he has done to the alt-Right.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I would suspect that the average American wouldn't recognize it. That's not the point. There's a specific group of Trump supporters who are the targets of that message, and they got it. I assure you.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote:I have to agree, I don't see any thing anti-Semitic here. I didn't even know what Soros or Yellen were Jewish, and I suspect a lot of people didn't even know who they were in the video. I think this accusation is a stretch and I can't stand Trump.
To underscore what RM9 just said, anti-Semitic attacks on Soros and Yellen as Globalizing Jews are common in Alt Right circles.

The hatred of Soros has been going on for years. It always seemed really weird to me until I learned that it was bubbling up from those particular depths.

(Incidentally, don't Google "alt right Soros" unless you're tired of your faith in humanity.)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Grifman wrote:
Rip wrote:

Far be it from me to agree with Rip, but he does have a point. It's more than a bit hypocritical to call out Trump for his alleged activities and then have a singer who describes the same thing in his songs on your get out the vote tour. Yeah, singing about it is not the same as doing it but still . . .
I also agree a bit here. It's not a huge deal... But... Claiming the moral high ground then trotting out jay z... I don't know about that...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:

I have to agree, I don't see any thing anti-Semitic here. I didn't even know what Soros or Yellen were Jewish, and I suspect a lot of people didn't even know who they were in the video. I think this accusation is a stretch and I can't stand Trump.
The issue isn't really whether ordinary citizens recognize the coded language, but that people with those beliefs, the alt-right, are effectively in control of the Trump campaign and may well hold high offices in a Trump administration.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NYT reporting Trump no longer in charge of his Twitter account:
Aides to Mr. Trump have finally wrested away the Twitter account that he used to colorfully — and often counterproductively — savage his rivals. But offline, Mr. Trump still privately muses about all of the ways he will punish his enemies after Election Day, including a threat to fund a “super PAC” with vengeance as its core mission.
I'm amazed he allowed this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm amazed he allowed this.
I'm also amazed a 70-year old Presidential candidate had to be grounded from using his social media account.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He just isn't good at the cybers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have to say to the % of America that isn't Jewish or Sovereign Citizen/Neo-NAZI/Rahowa, that ad was mostly benign political normalcy. It did ramp up the usual "omg wtf you will die if you don't elect ME!" BS. But I didn't read any anti-Jew overtones. (And can we please get rid of "anti-Semitic" as a term for people who are against Judaism and Jewish people? There are plenty of non-Semitic Jews.)

I read the corresponding article about throwing in all the people in exactly the right spots. I suppose you could say it's a hit piece, but I'd bet that nobody I know (including myself) could identify that every single person they showed in that ad is Jewish.

I read all the time about "George Soros!" on the right wing blogs. I couldn't pick him out of a photo lineup if my life depended on it. Let alone the other people they named in that article.

I don't know, maybe it really is a dog-whistle ad. Given that I'm not Jewish and really don't give a shit about most politics I guess I'm not the whistle's target from either side.
There is no hug button. Sad!
AjD

Post by AjD »

killbot737 wrote:I don't know, maybe it really is a dog-whistle ad. Given that I'm not Jewish and really don't give a shit about most politics I guess I'm not the whistle's target from either side.
My two cents:

It's definitely an anti-semitic dog whistle. Which makes this new ad all the more insidious. I am Jewish, and happened to see this ad before hearing any of the negative commentary calling it "Trump's shocking anti-semitic campaign ad!!!".

I immediately was (1) shocked, and 2) recognized the ad as cut from the same "rich greedy Jews control the global economic system" lie I've been hearing from anti-semites my whole life; and (3) sent it to my Jewish wife, without any commentary, who immediately said, "oh my god, that's the most anti-semitic message I've ever seen from any mainstream politician."

Within the hour, my sphere of Jewish hommies were blowing up on the phone, social media, etc. -- pointing out the same thing. Again, all before most of the media caught on. So you have to trust me when I say -- the Jewish community knows when it's being painted with the brush of conspiracy, lies and hate. We've heard it all before. We also know when it's being couched in a dog whistle in order to get away with it in the larger non-Jewish community. It's like someone secretly giving you the finger when no one else in the room is looking.

So suffice to say... in my community, this is some serious shit. I had the worst sleep of my life this weekend, just thinking about what we might be in for on Tuesday. Fuck Trump -- and his racist anti-semitic group of brownshirted thugs. God help us all if they win.

P.S. Also, Jews do not appreciate when the word "Jew" is used as an adjective. As in "Jew politics" or "Jew voters". It's commonly considered a slur by Jewish people (my skin crawls just thinking about it). We prefer "Jewish voters," etc. I blame South Park for this problem (although it was funny when they did it).
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

killbot737 wrote: (And can we please get rid of "anti-Semitic" as a term for people who are against Judaism and Jewish people? There are plenty of non-Semitic Jews.)
Err, that would consist of converts and Ethiopian Jews... at a guess, what 2 percent of Jews? 3 percent?

I suspect you meant that in the reverse (non-Jewish Semites). But the word is idiomatic not literal. So it means exactly the way it's used.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Ironically, my aunt, who is as rabidly anti-Trump as they come, forwarded a video to me just this morning that supposedly offered evidence that Trump isn't anti-Semitic. It had been sent to her by a friend who's a big deal in Jewish Republican circles in New York, and she passed it along as food for thought

The argument boiled down to a) all of his kids (not just Ivanka) being married to, or dating, Jews, and the large proportion of high-level tribe members in the Trump organization.

I pointed out to her that he probably thinks his kids are infiltrating the Global Conspiracy, with the plan to someday see the Trump name among the Elders of Zion.

As to the latter, he's been quoted more than once as as saying he only wants Jews in charge of his money. If that's not an anti-Semitic trope, I don't know what is.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I'm amazed he allowed this.
I'm also amazed a 70-year old Presidential candidate had to be grounded from using his social media account.
I do like how Obama just DGAF anymore. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote:NYT reporting Trump no longer in charge of his Twitter account:
Aides to Mr. Trump have finally wrested away the Twitter account that he used to colorfully — and often counterproductively — savage his rivals. But offline, Mr. Trump still privately muses about all of the ways he will punish his enemies after Election Day, including a threat to fund a “super PAC” with vengeance as its core mission.
I'm amazed he allowed this.
That whole story is pretty amazing. Trump's campaign is managing the endgame by soothing Trump's fragile ego and keeping him away from the media so he can't do harm.

Leadership!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

tgb wrote: I pointed out to her that he probably thinks his kids are infiltrating the Global Conspiracy, with the plan to someday see the Trump name among the Elders of Zion.
To be honest, he probably didn't think much about it all until he decided to run for President. Other than hold the old stereotype about Jews being good with money, because it would be a "useful" thing for him to think.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gilraen wrote: Other than hold the old stereotype about Jews being good with money, because it would be a "useful" thing for him to think.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

You know it is bad when redstate is calling you racist restate
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A liberal redneck on Trump. This is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/ZurTgx_ZE50
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote:A liberal redneck on Trump. This is hilarious.

He and Randy Rainbow have been the few bright spots of this election.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

omg. "Catch a ride!"

Such a drawl on that guy. He speaks the truth.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

killbot737 wrote:

Such a drawl on that guy.
Yeah, he's overdoing it a little/a lot, but the message is solid. Funny.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Donald Trump surrogate Called Molotov Cocktail A ‘Mazel Tov Cocktail’ On CNN

:lol:

I'm gunna order a Mazel Tov Cocktail the next time I go to a bar.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Defiant wrote:Donald Trump surrogate Called Molotov Cocktail A ‘Mazel Tov Cocktail’ On CNN

I'm gunna order a Mazel Tov Cocktail the next time I go to a bar.
Thank you for that. That's the first time the Negan Trump campaign has given me something to laugh about in a very long time.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

killbot737 wrote:

omg. "Catch a ride!"

Such a drawl on that guy. He speaks the truth.
"He's gonna to go get our touchdowns back from the Mexicans. It's gonna be awesome!"
Black Lives Matter