The Ted Cruz Train Wreck

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tjg_marantz

Re: The Ted Cruz Train Wreck

Post by tjg_marantz »

Jesus. It's like watching him talk to Hodor.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

tjg_marantz wrote:Jesus. It's like watching him talk to Hodor.
Yes. It's the ever flowing examples like these that lead people to label Trump supporters as simpletons.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

why did cruz seen almost reasonable in that clip?

I guess trump and his supporters can make even cruz seem sane.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: That was my first thought as well. Cruz comes across as almost the hero of that incident.
Covfefe!
PLW

Post by PLW »

I literally cannot watch more than a minute of that "conversation" at a time. It's so awkward and uncomfortable and inhumane. I disagree with lots of Cruz's policies and priorities. But the idea of having an important public figure that has anything important in common with the dude in the glasses scares the shit out of me. It's like going back to (a terrible version of) elementary school, where schoolyard arguments are won by the loudest, meanest, and most violent.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chrisoc13 wrote:why did cruz seen almost reasonable in that clip?

I guess trump and his supporters can make even cruz seem sane.
Ted Cruz knows how to debate.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rip

Post by Rip »

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

He's out. Never thought his ego would let him. I expect Kaisch will be done soon

Didn't endorse The Donald ...
Last edited by tru1cy on Tue May 03, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Rip

Post by Rip »

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

The laughing stock that is this cycles election.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

:lol:
Thousands Of Cheering Americans Packed Into Park For Ted Cruz Concession Speech

HOUSTON—Gathering to celebrate a milestone that many throughout the country had long eagerly awaited, an estimated 150,000 cheering citizens packed into a public park in downtown Houston Wednesday night to hear Ted Cruz confirm his campaign for president of the United States was over, sources reported.

“I’ve been dreaming about this moment since the first time I heard Ted Cruz speak, and I just had to be here to see it happen,” said Kevin Chavis,

“We were all so excited watching the numbers come in and realizing this was finally going to happen,” Chavis added. “Words can’t express how happy I am right now.”
Last edited by Exodor on Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well at least he can get back to serial killing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Poor Carly. She was <this close> to the presidency.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Technically, he shouldn't be here.
PLW

Post by PLW »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if Cruz will back Trump as the GOP nominee. I assume that he'll eventually issue some "Trump's better than Clinton" type statement, but the question is whether he does it in any emphatic or believable way.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's never struck me as the type that lets go of grudges. And the battle between Trump and Cruz was definitely nasty and petty.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote:He's never struck me as the type that lets go of grudges. And the battle between Trump and Cruz was definitely nasty and petty.
For the record, Cruz was one of the first to embrace Trump and treat him cordially. While I was certain it was all for show (mostly because I thought/think Trump is a joke), he treated Trump with more respect than he deserved compared to how the other candidates treated him.

And see where it got him? :D
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

GreenGoo wrote:For the record, Cruz was one of the first to embrace Trump and treat him cordially. While I was certain it was all for show (mostly because I thought/think Trump is a joke), he treated Trump with more respect than he deserved compared to how the other candidates treated him.
I think Cruz was trying to cozy up to Trump voters so they would turn to him when Trump self-destructed and had to drop out - then Trump failed to self-destruct and after eliminating all the other competition he turned on Cruz.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought I was watching Shark Week most of the time.
Covfefe!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Enlarge Image
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote:I wonder if Cruz will back Trump as the GOP nominee. I assume that he'll eventually issue some "Trump's better than Clinton" type statement, but the question is whether he does it in any emphatic or believable way.
I would be surprised if he backed Trump in any way. First, Cruz has made it clear throughout his career that he doesn't care what the Republican establishment thinks, so he's not going to fall in line just because the party wants to unite. Second, Trump branded him "Lyin' Ted Cruz", claimed he had multiple affairs, and said that Cruz's dad was buddies with Lee Harvey Oswald. That's so beyond just typical campaign smearing that I would be amazed if Cruz could overcome it. If I had any respect for Cruz to begin with, I'd certainly lose it if he endorsed Trump.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I wonder if Cruz will back Trump as the GOP nominee. I assume that he'll eventually issue some "Trump's better than Clinton" type statement, but the question is whether he does it in any emphatic or believable way.
I would be surprised if he backed Trump in any way. First, Cruz has made it clear throughout his career that he doesn't care what the Republican establishment thinks, so he's not going to fall in line just because the party wants to unite. Second, Trump branded him "Lyin' Ted Cruz", claimed he had multiple affairs, and said that Cruz's dad was buddies with Lee Harvey Oswald. That's so beyond just typical campaign smearing that I would be amazed if Cruz could overcome it. If I had any respect for Cruz to begin with, I'd certainly lose it if he endorsed Trump.
I very much doubt that Cruz would back Trump in any meaningful way. But what I'm wondering is whether it would be a McCain-in-2000 type deal - after McCain conceded to Bush in that race, he waited something like a month or two without issuing any sort of endorsement of Bush. Finally he did it, but was incredibly monotone and robotic such that it was obvious that he wasn't actually endorsing him.
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

ImLawBoy wrote:
But at least Trump's not Clinton.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Cruz got out now to prevent any further humiliation in the remaining primaries. He's smart enough to see the odds stacked against Trump in the general, and is setting himself up as the "true conservative" savior to run against Hillary in 2020... who of course only won in 2016 because once again the GOP chose to nominate a RINO.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't secretly rooting for Hillary to win in the general.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Exodor wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:For the record, Cruz was one of the first to embrace Trump and treat him cordially. While I was certain it was all for show (mostly because I thought/think Trump is a joke), he treated Trump with more respect than he deserved compared to how the other candidates treated him.
I think Cruz was trying to cozy up to Trump voters so they would turn to him when Trump self-destructed and had to drop out - then Trump failed to self-destruct and after eliminating all the other competition he turned on Cruz.
Oh for sure, but he was the only one who embraced Trump, at least in public.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Captain Caveman wrote:Cruz got out now to prevent any further humiliation in the remaining primaries. He's smart enough to see the odds stacked against Trump in the general, and is setting himself up as the "true conservative" savior to run against Hillary in 2020... who of course only won in 2016 because once again the GOP chose to nominate a RINO.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't secretly rooting for Hillary to win in the general.
Probably so, but there's a little problem with his plan. Everyone now knows him for the unlikeable turd that he is, and the party isn't exactly going to be singing his praises no matter what (I expect that bonehead Paul Ryan will be the chosen golden boy that year). Disinterest in Cruz will be palpable, and we likely won't have to put up with his douchebaggery much beyond Iowa.

There is no rising star among the party losers this year...no Ronald Reagan who will come back in 4 years as a dominant force. If the party doesn't take steps to return to center over the next 4 years, another set of loons will fill the bingo card in 2020.
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

How has nobody yet posted a gif of last night's blatant domestic violence committed by Ted Cruz?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:Cruz got out now to prevent any further humiliation in the remaining primaries. He's smart enough to see the odds stacked against Trump in the general, and is setting himself up as the "true conservative" savior to run against Hillary in 2020... who of course only won in 2016 because once again the GOP chose to nominate a RINO.

Probably so, but there's a little problem with his plan. Everyone now knows him for the unlikeable turd that he is, and the party isn't exactly going to be singing his praises no matter what (I expect that bonehead Paul Ryan will be the chosen golden boy that year). Disinterest in Cruz will be palpable, and we likely won't have to put up with his douchebaggery much beyond Iowa.

There is no rising star among the party losers this year...no Ronald Reagan who will come back in 4 years as a dominant force. If the party doesn't take steps to return to center over the next 4 years, another set of loons will fill the bingo card in 2020.
Everyone already knew that he was an unlikable turd. Cruz is almost certainly going to try again in 2020. He came reasonably close this year. If his opposition is bad enough in 2020, and/or if he can manage to polish that turd just a little, he might well have a shot.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe now he'll get his ass back to Washington and do his job.
From Jan 2013 to Apr 2016, Cruz missed 187 of 1,061 roll call votes, which is 17.6%. This is much worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving.
Pres campaign and missed votes
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Everyone already knew that he was an unlikable turd.
Everyone? Maybe all of the political junkies, but I wager what success he did have this year was due to people who didn't know anything about him, and knew only that he wasn't Donald Trump (who has gotten far, far more media attention than should ever be considered "fair.") The majority of the population only got to know him in recent months, and much of his "support" has been more anti-Trump than pro-Cruz. Yes, I think he'll be back, but unless 2020 is another Comedy Central reality show, I think he'll get run out pretty quickly; not unlike all of 2012 failures who tried again this year with even worse results (ala Rick Santorum).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Everyone already knew that he was an unlikable turd.
Everyone? Maybe all of the political junkies, but I wager what success he did have this year was due to people who didn't know anything about him, and knew only that he wasn't Donald Trump (who has gotten far, far more media attention than should ever be considered "fair.") The majority of the population only got to know him in recent months, and much of his "support" has been more anti-Trump than pro-Cruz. Yes, I think he'll be back, but unless 2020 is another Comedy Central reality show, I think he'll get run out pretty quickly; not unlike all of 2012 failures who tried again this year with even worse results (ala Rick Santorum).
The entire GOP party knew it, anyway. I will say I didn't fully appreciate just *how intensely* everyone hates Ted Cruz, to a kind of staggering degree that I still have trouble wrapping my head around.

The point is that this campaign didn't create his unlikeability. Cruz himself did it, and he was going to run up against that whether he ran this year or not.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Maybe now he'll get his ass back to Washington and do his job.
From Jan 2013 to Apr 2016, Cruz missed 187 of 1,061 roll call votes, which is 17.6%. This is much worse than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving.
Pres campaign and missed votes
eh, he's run a long campaign. He deserves an extended vacation - the rest of his term ought to cover it.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't know which option scares me more.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know which option scares me more.

Please don't let him go back to representing Texas.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tough luck, pal. Someone's gotta protect your bathrooms.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's got two more years on his Senate term.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:Tough luck, pal. Someone's gotta protect your bathrooms.
Now that that court order prevents you from doing so, anyway.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

New wigs, new chances...
Covfefe!