Ferguson, Mo

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Brian

Re: Ferguson, Mo

Post by Brian »

LawBeefaroni wrote:The Texas boat above has .50s. I imagine it's for sinking other boats. And for strafing shorelines, just to be sure. When 5.56 and 7.62 just won't do.

I don't see any .50s on the boat. I do see what appear to be four M249 SAWs which are 5.56mm.

The Coast Guard does use .50 rifles to shoot out boat engines but, the CG is not your small town police force either.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Brian wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:The Texas boat above has .50s. I imagine it's for sinking other boats. And for strafing shorelines, just to be sure. When 5.56 and 7.62 just won't do.

I don't see any .50s on the boat. I do see what appear to be four M249 SAWs which are 5.56mm.

The Coast Guard does use .50 rifles to shoot out boat engines but, the CG is not your small town police force either.
I checked, the one above has FN M240s (7.62). But it was reputed to have been armed with .50s on delivery. That may be a tall tale though.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

Hooray for open carry laws and the Oath Keepers! :?

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote:Hooray for open carry laws and the Oath Keepers! :?
The one with a selfie stick. LOL.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote:Image
Lexi Kozhedsky, 19, of University City stands in front of the police line to protect them from protesters on West Florissant Avenue on Monday, Aug. 10, 2015. "They deserve to be protected. I would rather get hit by something than let it hit them," she said. "I feel like I'm going to get a lot of hate for supporting the police, but someone has to do it."

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Enough

Post by Enough »

Apparently she has been memed:

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Her shirt has a Constitution class looking starship on it. Nice!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote:Her shirt has a Constitution class looking starship on it. Nice!
It's a dreamcatcher.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
It's a dreamcatcher.

Ahh, I see that now. Wasn't as clear from the angle of the shot to me. But I like my interpretation better! Catching the dream of a "federation of planets" working together in harmony and "boldly going where no one has gone...before!"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thnks fr th Mmrs
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That was my impression as well. I'm not a fallout boy fan so I had no idea what I was looking at.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote:
That was my impression as well. I'm not a fallout boy fan so I had no idea what I was looking at.
It's more commonly associated with Native Americans than Fallout Boy.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Well duh, but it's clearly on a Fallout Boy tee-shirt, and if I was a Fallout Boy fan, I assume I would have recognized it right away as a dream catcher and not a stylized USS Enterprise. I'm assuming it's cover art for one of their albums or something. I can't imagine it's just a random image on a Fallout Boy tee-shirt that just happens to be a dream catcher.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Well duh, but it's clearly on a Fallout Boy tee-shirt, and if I was a Fallout Boy fan, I assume I would have recognized it right away as a dream catcher and not a stylized USS Enterprise. I'm assuming it's cover art for one of their albums or something. I can't imagine it's just a random image on a Fallout Boy tee-shirt that just happens to be a dream catcher.
As far as I can tell, it's only found on the t-shirt. It's not an album cover.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: As far as I can tell, it's only found on the t-shirt. It's not an album cover.
Huh. Does it tie into one of their songs or something? Or is it common practice for bands to cut and paste images they think are nice onto their merch?

Weird.

p.s. That's right, I said merch.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: As far as I can tell, it's only found on the t-shirt. It's not an album cover.
Huh. Does it tie into one of their songs or something?
I have no idea. I just thought it looked like a dreamcatcher and searched "Fall Out Boy Dreamcatcher." Every reference was to the shirt, primarily shopping links to Hot Topic/Forever21 and Amazon. It says "F O B XIV" on it but that doesn't turn up anything.

All I know about them is that they did this misheard classic (the first Youtube video I ever favorited) and that they're from Chicago and that they recorded at a really fun studio in my neighborhood.

But this girl in Ferguson has no doubt immortalized that t-shirt.

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

Had no idea who Fallout Boy was, never heard of em.

:)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
I have no idea. I just thought it looked like a dreamcatcher and searched "Fall Out Boy Dreamcatcher." Every reference was to the shirt, primarily shopping links to Hot Topic/Forever21 and Amazon. It says "F O B XIV" on it but that doesn't turn up anything.

All I know about them is that they did this misheard classic (the first Youtube video I ever favorited) and that they're from Chicago and that they recorded at a really fun studio in my neighborhood.

That's pretty close to how I hear the world.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

I thought little emo stick dude in the video was cute.
Black lives matter!

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Am I really the only one who thought of the Simpsons when I saw "Fallout Boy"?

Although I was puzzled what a Constitution Class starship had to do with him too.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daveman wrote:Am I really the only one who thought of the Simpsons when I saw "Fallout Boy"?
I'm pretty sure that's where they got the name.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Daveman wrote:Am I really the only one who thought of the Simpsons when I saw "Fallout Boy"?
I'm pretty sure that's where they got the name.
Their name makes me think of this:

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Not being a Fall Out Boy has nothing to do with one's ability to recognize a dreamcatcher. Like I said, they are recognizable because of Native Americans (and rear view mirrors), not Fall Out Boy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All the Stephen King and Painkiller fans know what's up.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Alefroth wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Not being a Fall Out Boy has nothing to do with one's ability to recognize a dreamcatcher. Like I said, they are recognizable because of Native Americans (and rear view mirrors), not Fall Out Boy.
#nativeamericantraditionsmatter

But from the angle of the original pic...

#spacethefinalfrontier
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#OccupyQuark's
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote:Their name makes me think of this:

They're actually named after:

Enlarge Image

as pointed out by Daveman.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:
Moliere wrote:Their name makes me think of this:

They're actually named after:

Enlarge Image

as pointed out by Daveman.
I wasn't trying to say he was wrong, only that it's not what I think of when hearing Fallout Boy.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the inanity of this derail is really something to behold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Talking about the origins of Fallout Boy is infinitely less depressing than recognizing the insanity that is currently occurring in Ferguson?

If you're asking me whether or not I'd rather see people arguing about a band's T-shirt or whether or not the Oath Keepers are adding value to the protests...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Warrant amnesty
The City of Ferguson, Mo., announced Monday that it was withdrawing thousands of arrest warrants for municipal violations and taking steps to prevent the incarceration of people who cannot pay fines and fees, a response to the sharp criticism of its court system that emerged after the killing of Michael Brown last year.

The measures go beyond a state law set to take effect on Friday that limits the amount of money municipalities can keep from minor traffic offenses and imposes safeguards on the amount of time people can be locked up for failing to pay fines and fees. Several other municipalities in the region have announced similar warrant amnesties.
Yet court reform advocates, while applauding the measures as a step in the right direction, said the region’s municipal court system needed a complete overhaul. They questioned whether the changes announced Monday would withstand changing financial times and changing judges, and whether the new standards could be enforced.
The changes, ordered by Judge Donald McCullin, who was appointed as Ferguson’s municipal judge in June, called for withdrawing all municipal warrants issued before Dec. 31, 2014. That should amount to nearly 10,000 warrants, the city said. It does not apply to state charges for more serious crimes.

Defendants will get new court dates, according to the order, and may be put on installment plans to pay off their fines or ordered to perform community service instead. Some indigent persons could have their fines commuted, according to the order.
These changes come as Ferguson, with about 21,000 residents, had already stopped assessing additional fees for people who failed to appear in court.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chicago
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Tuesday that he has asked for the resignation of Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy.

The announcement at a press conference came amid angry protests in Chicago over the way the city responded to the killing by police of a black teenager.
In Chicago, the outrage has been focused squarely on the killing of Laquan McDonald in October 2014. Dashboard camera footage recorded the teen, who was carrying a 4-inch knife, walking yards away and turning his back to Officer Jason Van Dyke when Van Dyke opens fire, shooting the teen 16 times.

A freelance journalist filed suit, arguing that the video was public record. The city went to court to prevent its release. A judge sided with the journalist, and the footage was released last week.
When the video was released last week, Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder.

He walked out of jail on bond Monday evening after a judge set his bail at $1.5 million.

Van Dyke had a history of complaints before he gunned down McDonald, and in almost every case, he was cleared in one way or another. The allegations mostly involve excessive force, and at least one complaint alleges that he used a racial slur.

There appear to be no criminal proceedings against Van Dyke before last week, but a jury did award a Chicago man $350,000 after determining that Van Dyke used excessive force during a traffic stop. (The city of Chicago also gave McDonald's mother, who had not yet filed a lawsuit, $5 million in April.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was listening to the press conference on the radio while driving for lunch. It was painfully awkward. Rahm sounded like he wanted to be anywhere but in that room.

The fact that the city fought the release of this video is inexcusable in my opinion. The police should operate with transparency. At least at this level. I can understand undercover operations requiring discretion when it comes to what the public can see, but this was not the case. This was the department covering its ass and reinforcing the opinion that Chicago is one giant cesspool of corruption.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:I was listening to the press conference on the radio while driving for lunch. It was painfully awkward. Rahm sounded like he wanted to be anywhere but in that room.

The fact that the city fought the release of this video is inexcusable in my opinion. The police should operate with transparency. At least at this level. I can understand undercover operations requiring discretion when it comes to what the public can see, but this was not the case. This was the department covering its ass and reinforcing the opinion that Chicago is one giant cesspool of corruption.
Sun Times (in April 2014) wrote:Brutality-related lawsuits have cost Chicago taxpayers $521 million over the last decade — that’s more than half a billion dollars — and Burge’s team accounts only for about 15 percent of that staggering figure.

In 2013 alone, the city paid out $84.6 million in settlements, judgments, legal fees and other expenses, more than triple the budgeted amount.

That’s a huge expenditure for a city with billions of dollars in unfunded pension obligations, and a budget crisis severe enough to force mental health clinic shutdowns, reduced library hours and higher fees for water, parking and other services.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I made the mistake of responding to one of the more conservative coworkers in the office when she brought up the resignation. I mentioned that I thought he needed to go in light of the damning video and the department's attempts to squelch its release. She got a bit flustered and said I hadn't viewed the entire video. I informed her I had watched all that had been released (as have many Chicagoans) and there was no way in hell that wasn't a murder...pure and simple.

Which caused her to rail against how the protesters were all criminals, she wasn't racist...but, and a slew of other borderline racist rants.

That's two people I need to avoid political discourse with in this office. :oops:
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: That's two people I need to avoid political discourse with in this office. :oops:
With that attitude...the idiots win. :(
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have met Escalante the new interim Superintendent. He was the former Commander for my police district and has a good internal reputation and can interact well with citizens. I don't envy him, but he's a good choice.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Black Lives Matter is mouthy, offensive — and spot on
No intelligent person should be tempted by "All lives matter," the insidious slogan that's increasingly fashionable in conservative circles. Not that it isn't true. Its self-evident banality is actually its power. How can anyone argue with such a sentiment? But let's be clear: the slogan was specifically designed as a political weapon to neutralize Black Lives Matter, an angry, noisy movement that is beginning to frighten the mostly non-black people who possess power in the U.S. and Canada, and their uniformed enforcers. As it should.

Consider that just this week, the mayor of Chicago fired his police chief, who, for more than a year, had refused to make public the dash-cam video of one of his officers shooting 16 rounds into a young black teenager, Laquan McDonald. The uniformed shooter has now been charged with murder. Take a look at the video if you need any convincing that there is a need for the Black Lives Matter movement. McDonald, 17, was walking jauntily along under streetlights, after having used a knife to vandalize the tire of a police cruiser. There is no audio, but all the reports have said he wasn't showing the absolute deference demanded by the white police who were pointing their weapons at him from a few metres away. Suddenly, one of them fires, and McDonald collapses. The officer then unloads 15 more rounds into his body, emptying his clip. You can see the corpse jerk as the rounds hit; each creates a puff of dust. No wonder the police chief didn't want anyone seeing the video while the shooting was being investigated. Had it not been for the determined protests of the Black Lives Matter people, though, this "matter" might have been dealt with internally, ending with a bland written statement that the shooting was justified, as has been the case so often in the past.

Of course, the policeman charged with murdering McDonald may yet be found not guilty, if history is any guide. Just last year, a grand jury declined even to indict a white New York policeman who leapt onto Eric Garner, an obese black man who'd been committing the crime of selling loose cigarettes in public, and choked him to death after he noisily resisted orders to submit. There's video of that episode, too.
A postscript: There is one Black Lives Matter chapter outside the U.S., in Toronto, where racially tinged police shootings have occurred. But, says spokeswoman Sandy Hudson, the Canadian chapter is hobbled. Data, she says, is compiled differently in Canada. Race isn't considered in statistics the way it is in the U.S. "The black community knows these things are going on, because we are affected," she says. But "when people ask us to prove it, it's difficult." Difficult, but impossible to dismiss. Is Canada better? Ask the indigenous leaders who have been seeking an inquiry into their nearly 1,200 missing and murdered aboriginal women over the past 30 years. All lives may indeed matter, just some a lot more than others.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So much for living in a post-racial society:
The Alabama Justice Project has obtained documents that reveal a Dothan Police Department’s Internal Affairs investigation was covered up by the district attorney. A group of up to a dozen police officers on a specialized narcotics team were found to have planted drugs and weapons on young black men for years. They were supervised at the time by Lt. Steve Parrish, current Dothan Police Chief, and Sgt. Andy Hughes, current Asst. Director of Homeland Security for the State of Alabama. All of the officers reportedly were members of a Neoconfederate organization that the Southern Poverty Law Center labels “racial extremists.” The group has advocated for blacks to return to Africa, published that the civil rights movement is really a Jewish conspiracy, and that blacks have lower IQ’s . Both Parrish and Hughes held leadership positions in the group and are pictured above holding a confederate battle flag at one of the club’s secret meetings.
Dumbfounded and speechless.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.