Ferguson, Mo

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Ferguson, Mo

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:
hepcat wrote:Holder calls out the damn punks who shot the officers.
I wish he'd make up his mind about which side he's on. :mrgreen:
Care to enlighten us as to what the sides are, in your opinion?
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote:Holder calls out the damn punks who shot the officers.
Way to go out on a limb there Holder.

Criminals trying to assassinate police aren't looked upon too fondly by most people.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Go back to Ferguson you...
The incident began about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday as Street and Ford approached the same gas pump from different directions. Ford backed up and proceeded to another pump while the second vehicle continued through, passed the pump and pulled into a parking spot directly in front of the store, police said.

When Ford exited his vehicle, Street got out of his car and began shouting racial slurs. Street then entered the store, and Ford tried to avoid a confrontation, police said. Ford then walked toward the front of the store to pay for his gas. Street was exiting the store when he approached Ford, and unprovoked, punched him in the face, according to police. He then drove away.

Prosecutors charged Street with one count of assault motivated by discrimination in the third degree, a Class D felony. His criminal history includes guilty pleas for possession of marijuana and assault.

A police report said the man told Ford to “go back to Ferguson, you (racial slur).” The document did not say what racial slur was used.
In broad daylight.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

He should be popular in prison. He deserves every stroke.
Rip

Post by Rip »

On the other side of the coin.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/28/us/st-lou ... index.html
The victim, 43, was commuting home when a young man in a red T-shirt and cap walked up to him. The victim asked not to be named in media reports.

The man asked to use the victim's cell phone. He declined, and the young man sat down beside him.

"Then he asked me my opinion on the Michael Brown thing," the victim told KMOV, "and I responded I was too tired to think about it right now."

The suspect, in his 20s, stood up.

"The next thing I know, he sucker punches me right in the middle of my face," the victim said. The video showed the suspect unleashing a barrage of punches at the head of the victim, who covered himself with his hand and forearms.

The two other men, also in their 20s, joined in, police said. As the train pulled into a station, a security guard saw part of the beating and alerted police.

The man in the red T-shirt could be seen on video kicking at the victim's face before the train's doors opened and the assailants ran out.
Only for some reason this is just a misdemeanor whereas the gas station incident is a Class D Felony.

:?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:On the other side of the coin.
The last thing we need is to start picking sides for crimes that everyone should condemn...no matter what your race.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:On the other side of the coin.
The last thing we need is to start picking sides for crimes that everyone should condemn...no matter what your race.
I wasn't suggesting one should. They are both equally heinous acts. I was just noting that one is seen as a more substantial crime than the other, which I don't see. They were equally disgusting and the perps should be equally punished.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing (without a law degree) that because racial slurs were used in the former, it was elevated to that. In the latter, the victim was most likely targeted because he was white, but I don't believe it was front and center in the attack based on the video. That doesn't mean it's right, of course.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:I'm guessing (without a law degree) that because racial slurs were used in the former, it was elevated to that. In the latter, the victim was most likely targeted because he was white, but I don't believe it was front and center in the attack based on the video. That doesn't mean it's right, of course.

Would you make up your mind? I've typed three responses now and by the time I do the post no longer exists and it won't let me post. Anyway here was my response to your latest post/retraction.

No just that "one count of assault motivated by discrimination in the third degree" is a class D felony. For some reason the bus assault is apparently not viewed as being discriminatory, while anyone with half a brain can see it clearly was racially motivated.

In fact I could see the bus attack as slightly worse because it was likely premeditated. It wasn't just chance that lead those guys to pick a white guy on the bus and ask him about the shooting. Anything short of parroting the "hands up don't shoot" fairy tale was going to result in an ass kicking.

The gas station things sounds as though it was a racist with a tinge of road rage to get things going. Doesn't sound like he was out looking for some guy to go off on, he just let his prejudice seize the moment.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:I'm guessing (without a law degree) that because racial slurs were used in the former, it was elevated to that. In the latter, the victim was most likely targeted because he was white, but I don't believe it was front and center in the attack based on the video. That doesn't mean it's right, of course.

So in a bus full of black people the fact that the white guy was picked out to be asked about Michael Brown and pummeled when the response wasn't what was desired was pure coincidence? Really?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you even read my reply?

I said he was most likely targeted because he was white. I also said it wasn't right. You're trying to argue against someone who essentially agrees with you that it was wrong.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Did you even read my reply?

I said he was most likely targeted because he was white. I also said it wasn't right. You're trying to argue against someone who essentially agrees with you that it was wrong.
You said it wasn't front and center. Then what was? Is there something other than his being white that resulted in it being him and not someone else on the bus that was beaten? If you reverse the races would you still say it wasn't primarily a racially motivated attack? Do you think asking him how he felt about the Michael Brown shooting was just a random question? Clearly he knew it wasn't which I am sure is why he tried to dodge even answering the question. He knew no good could come from it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You REALLY wanna argue, don't you? :lol:
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:You REALLY wanna argue, don't you? :lol:

Not really arguments to me. Discussions.

Although now that you mention it, there have been a few people throughout my life that said I was "argumentative". I've always assumed they are soft skinned and just wanted me to be a pushover. I guess it is possible that....mmm, well, ah no that couldn't be, nevermind.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Here's a hint: learn to recognize when someone actually agrees with you, and when they don't. :wink:
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just got back from Jury Duty selections in a rather high-profile case (bank robbery). I wasn't called up, but was in the court over 4 days of selection and questioning.

Ferguson came up on multiple occasions, with some medium opinions and some very strong ones (some which didn't even have any impact on the case at hand - the alleged robber and shooter is white and an alleged heroin junkie- but just some people who couldn't help venting about some really non-pertinent pieces of the Ferguson cases).

They were all peremptorily challenged and booted - rather predictably - so if you want to get out of a crimminal case involving a shooting, just start having strong opinions about Ferguson, either way.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

see below.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The emails which got the Court Clerk and Police Supervisors fired in Ferguson:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Yeah, after the 1st warning you'd be suspended in just about any public job out there as a supervisor. In Ferguson where 90% of the residents are black? Hoo boy, that's just asking for trouble.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By the spelling of check, it seems like they believe the subjects of the joke are also from England.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Firings in SF over similar filth.
San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr said Friday he is moving to fire a captain, a sergeant and six other officers implicated in sending and receiving “reprehensible” racist and homophobic text messages that came to light during a federal corruption probe.
Spoiler:
Federal prosecutors called Furminger, 48, a “virulent” racist and homophobe. In one exchange with an unnamed officer, Furminger asked whether he should be worried that the black husband of one of his then-wife’s friends had come over to his home.

The officer responded, “Get ur pocket gun. Keep it available in case the monkey returns to his roots. Its (sic) not against the law to put an animal down.”

“Well said!” Furminger replied, according to a court filing. “You may have to kill the half-breeds too,’’ the unnamed officer replied, adding: “Don’t worry. Their (sic) an abomination of nature anyway.”
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote:The emails which got the Court Clerk and Police Supervisors fired in Ferguson:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Yeah, after the 1st warning you'd be suspended in just about any public job out there as a supervisor. In Ferguson where 90% of the residents are black? Hoo boy, that's just asking for trouble.
Yeah, no, that's not a complete recipe for disaster. Combined that with heavy-handed armed response and no shit there is going to be trouble. I can't believe Ferguson hasn't burned to the ground yet.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Yeah, no, that's not a complete recipe for disaster. Combined that with heavy-handed armed response and no shit there is going to be trouble. I can't believe Ferguson hasn't burned to the ground yet.
Some people there figured out the whole cutting off their nose to spite their face riddle.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Pentagon doesn't sell surplus gear to police, it donates it.
Presidential revision of the program:
[T]he White House said that effective immediately, the federal government will no longer fund or provide armored vehicles that run on a tracked system instead of wheels, weaponized aircraft or vehicles, firearms or ammunition of .50-caliber or higher, grenade launchers, bayonets or camouflage uniforms. The federal government also is exploring ways to recall prohibited equipment already distributed.

In addition, a longer list of equipment the federal government provides will come under tighter control, including wheeled armored vehicles like Humvees, manned aircraft, drones, specialized firearms, explosives, battering rams and riot batons, helmets and shields. Starting in October, police will have to get approval from their city council, mayor or some other local governing body to obtain it, provide a persuasive explanation of why it is needed and have more training and data collection on the use of the equipment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like a step in the right direction.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:Sounds like a step in the right direction.
Until you realize that it is in reaction to the well-armed Patriots in local law enforcement who stood up to the Jade Helm takeover attempt.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

They should just give me all the weapons, since I am very trustworthy.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote:Sounds like a step in the right direction.
My concern is how are they going to execute search warrants or deliver subpoenas without armoured personnel carriers. Won't someone think of the police?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Didn't it just say the had to get the local bureaucracy to approve it? I can't imagine that being all that hard in Texas.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:Didn't it just say the had to get the local bureaucracy to approve it? I can't imagine that being all that hard in Texas.
I was watching some of the Waco biker news footage and I saw a bunch of the police in camo -WTF do they need camo for? So that theremay be a police officer around when you need them but they'll be hidden?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote:
Rip wrote:Didn't it just say the had to get the local bureaucracy to approve it? I can't imagine that being all that hard in Texas.
I was watching some of the Waco biker news footage and I saw a bunch of the police in camo -WTF do they need camo for? So that theremay be a police officer around when you need them but they'll be hidden?
Apparently they had ghillie suited shooters on the roof of the restaurant.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, the only ones the military gave them were for jungle warfare. So the local residents were left wondering why there were moving shrubs on the rooftops of the buildings.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

"Bring me a shrubbery! "

Toe

Post by Toe »

The White House said that effective immediately, the federal government will no longer fund or provide armored vehicles that run on a tracked system instead of wheels, weaponized aircraft or vehicles, firearms or ammunition of .50-caliber or higher...
The military just authorized the production of .49 caliber firearms and ammunition.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What in the holy christ would be the use of .50 cal weaponry in policing?

This brings to mind the opening scene from Predator II.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Pyperkub wrote:"Bring me a shrubbery! "
Man, piss in the wrong bush and you're gonna be shot dead. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote:What in the holy christ would be the use of .50 cal weaponry in policing?
Shooting the engine blocks of semi-trucks that are suddenly animated after the Earth passes through the tail of a comet?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Still the finest Emilio Estevez performance ever captured on film.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:What in the holy christ would be the use of .50 cal weaponry in policing?
Shooting the engine blocks of semi-trucks that are suddenly animated after the Earth passes through the tail of a comet?
I enjoyed the Maximum Overdrive references in Archer.

That's about it.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

The only item that I'm actually "upset" over them taking away is the grenade launchers since that is also how they deploy things like tear gas, you know their less than lethal option for crowds.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Texas boat above has .50s. I imagine it's for sinking other boats. And for strafing shorelines, just to be sure. When 5.56 and 7.62 just won't do.

MYT