Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Freyland wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 pm
The power that I have as an American guaranteed at birth is one man, one vote, and they are diluting it.
If it were physically possible to "dilute" Tucker Carlson, I would buy a bus.
A vat of acid would do the trick.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:50 am
Freyland wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 pm
The power that I have as an American guaranteed at birth is one man, one vote, and they are diluting it.
If it were physically possible to "dilute" Tucker Carlson, I would buy a bus.
A vat of acid would do the trick.
How about offering him to cut him in half but give each half a vote (each vote being worth half a vote) or in four and giving each quarter a vote (worth a fourth each)? Think he would go for that? ;)

Of course, with our luck, each part would grow back into a full Tucker, so maybe that's a bad idea.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're saying he's a troll?

The acid would solve that, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Immigrants, you bloodthirsty people! Immigrants! Lol.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Why are members of Congress allowed to make leveraged "investments" on companies they have insider information on and also have a direct hand in outcomes of?

(Note, that's not actually "how it started". The calls were bought in January from what I understand. Still looks bad)
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Why are members of Congress allowed to make leveraged "investments" on companies they have insider information on and also have a direct hand in outcomes of?

(Note, that's not actually "how it started". The calls were bought in January from what I understand. Still looks bad)
Beats me. I think every elected official higher than the local level should have to put their investments in a blind trust. It's complete bullshit that they can trade on insider information.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

It makes me sick to my stomach that nobody is really holding Tucker Carlson accountable for the vile he spews. How do we have and keep someone so obviously racist on the air? Why has there not been much bigger outcry against his filth?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

1st Amendment
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm1st Amendment
Doesn't protect against criticism, boycott, private sector firing, etc.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Its nice that companies are boycotting but that is countered by the fact that his ratings are at the top of the heap.
forbes
It is disgusting and depressing that so many people are watching him promote racist and hateful views.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hasn't it been a known forever that Fox News makes less than half its revenue from advertising? They're like an NFL team that doesn't bring anyone to the game. They get more than enough of their money as long as cable subscribers pay cable companies and cable companies pay them.

and the top answer on google says!!!!

...paywall from the NYT...

X

Number 2... is old...

XX

Number 3. If I don't get this one I guess Izzy will have to steal....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... n-fox-news
Fox also posted affiliate fees collected from cable, satellite and online distributors rising 6 percent to $1.51 billion, even as subscriber volume fell.

Overall revenue rose 8 percent to $4.09 billion. At the same time, Fox's quarterly earnings fell to $224 million, compared with $300 million in the same period a year earlier, "primarily due to higher gains" recognized in a segment entitled "other, net" in the prior-year period, which includes equity losses of affiliates and other operations.
XXX

Dammit
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yet these departures also opened the door for the likes of new advertisers too. That list included right-wing misinformation hub PragerU, Theraworx Relief, Hero Health, the Indianapolis Colts, Kubota and Bass Pro Shops, to name a few.
Wait - what??? The Colts have ad spots?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cable Network Programming reported quarterly segment revenues of $1.49 billion, an increase of $19 million or 1% from the amount reported in the prior year quarter, as higher advertising revenues were largely offset by lower affiliate and other revenues. Advertising revenues increased $104 million or 31% driven by stronger linear and digital results at FOX News Media. Affiliate revenues decreased $29 million or 3% as continued healthy underlying increases in affiliate revenues, led by double-digit growth at FOX News Media, were more than offset by the impact of an accrual for potential distribution credits as a result of cancelled college football games in the quarter due to COVID-19. Other revenues decreased $56 million or 32% as lower sports sublicensing revenues were also the result of cancelled college football games in the quarter due to COVID-19. Cable Network Programming reported quarterly segment EBITDA of $571 million, an increase of $15 million or 3% from the amount reported in the prior year quarter, primarily due to the revenue increases noted above.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

So would it help if we all boycotted any cable provider that carries Fox News? Encourage the world to cut the cable? If advertisers leaving won't impact their bottom line and thus won't impact Carlson's racist rants is there anything the general public can do about it?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lis Smith
@Lis_Smith

That’s a lot of egg on a lot of faces, given how fast this news traveled and how breathlessly it was covered.
Quote Tweet
Noah Shachtman
@NoahShachtman

NEW: U.S. intel walks back blockbuster 'Russian bounties' claim
https://thedailybeast.com/us-intel-walks
Disappointing that they got it wrong, but a relief that there are no bounties.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm
Lis Smith
@Lis_Smith

That’s a lot of egg on a lot of faces, given how fast this news traveled and how breathlessly it was covered.
Quote Tweet
Noah Shachtman
@NoahShachtman

Full url:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-intel- ... can-troops

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm
Lis Smith
@Lis_Smith

Quote Tweet
Noah Shachtman
@NoahShachtman

Frankly we don't know who got what wrong. The Biden administration said it was judged as low to moderate but the contemporaneous NY Times article was much, much stronger than that. Was it translated wrong? Was it reported inaccurately? Did they hear draft language? And it isn't even a full walk back. If these reports are accurate, essentially say they heard about it in the field but couldn't directly confirm it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Arkansas House passes bill to allow Creationism in schools.

The fact that the bill is two friggin' lines long yet includes a typo is just... awesome.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm Arkansas House passes bill to allow Creationism in schools.

The fact that the bill is two friggin' lines long yet includes a typo is just... awesome.
Since "creationism" is undefined, if I were a science teacher I could see having a hell of a lot of fun with this.

Maybe even to make a (now) legally protected point...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In the beginning, God created Darwin...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Republican Rep. Steve Stivers of Ohio announced Monday on Twitter that he is leaving Congress next month to become the president and CEO of the Ohio Chamber of Commerce, giving the GOP at least temporarily one fewer vote in the narrowly divided House of Representatives.
Currently the House balance is 218 Democrats and 212 Republicans with five vacancies. With Stivers leaving, Republicans would have 211.
First elected in 2010, Stivers serves on the Financial Services Committee. He also chaired the National Republican Congressional Committee, the campaign arm of House Republicans, during the 2018 election cycle, when his party lost 40 seats.

Before joining Congress, Stivers served in the Ohio state senate. He's also a member of the Ohio Army National Guard and earned a Bronze Star for his service during Operation Iraqi Freedom in Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar and Djibouti.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carlson grew up rich in California and definitely would have known who Dan White was.

In 1991, the year this was published, the AIDS epidemic was very well known and still rising towards its peak.

Tucker Carlson has always been Tucker Carlson.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:14 pm

Carlson grew up rich in California and definitely would have known who Dan White was.

In 1991, the year this was published, the AIDS epidemic was very well known and still rising towards its peak.

Tucker Carlson has always been Tucker Carlson.
Yup - he was also pretty intolerable back in the now quaint soft madness of the Crossfire era. He mostly kept it under control there but he had moments.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So many real life countries out there are like me when I play a video game. I always like to play fascist/dictator so I can keep the people under control and I don't care about losses. As long as the people don't cause trouble I feel okay. nerve stapling is good.
If I can't control them with fear I throw money at them until they shutup. In Civ 6 I like to pollute the air and cause the sea to rise and drown out everybody's coastal cities while I build protection barriers for my cities.
I guess I'm sort of like Trump when I play video games.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:38 am So many real life countries out there are like me when I play a video game. I always like to play fascist/dictator so I can keep the people under control and I don't care about losses. As long as the people don't cause trouble I feel okay. nerve stapling is good.
If I can't control them with fear I throw money at them until they shutup. In Civ 6 I like to pollute the air and cause the sea to rise and drown out everybody's coastal cities while I build protection barriers for my cities.
I guess I'm sort of like Trump when I play video games.
It's easy to scorch the earth when you don't live in it. We view video game citizens the way people like Trump view us. Non-living entities out there to cause problems with their wants and needs, hopes and dreams.

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't understand how people in countries that are not Hispanic think that the easiest way into the US is thru Mexico.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In other news.....Arkansas has passed a law saying local law enforcement cannot help Federal authorities enforce Federal gun laws.
Stores can use any kind of containers they want null and voiding local laws banning Styrofoam and fees for one use plastic bags.
And also numerous anti abortion laws.
We're going to party like it's 1899!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:16 am In other news.....Arkansas has passed a law saying local law enforcement cannot help Federal authorities enforce Federal gun laws.
Stores can use any kind of containers they want null and voiding local laws banning Styrofoam and fees for one use plastic bags.
IANAL, but I've read that state laws against helping the Feds can be stepped right over with a judges' signature, meaning that such laws are largely symbolic and serve only to put individual law enforcement officials in a political tight spot.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Plus it creates a potential hilarious scenario of cops arresting cops for helping cops.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:29 am
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:16 am In other news.....Arkansas has passed a law saying local law enforcement cannot help Federal authorities enforce Federal gun laws.
IANAL, but I've read that state laws against helping the Feds can be stepped right over with a judges' signature, meaning that such laws are largely symbolic and serve only to put individual law enforcement officials in a political tight spot.
It's using the police to make a political statement. It's the same thing as directing local LEO not to enforce immigration laws or cooperate with ICE.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You might want to sit down:
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said on Sunday that he had enjoyed a good relationship with then-President Donald Trump, with whom the senator said he had frequent conversations.

“I got along well with Donald Trump,” he said. “We had a good rapport.”

“He called me all the time. We talked back and forth,” the Democrat added.
"Disgraced President that incited an insurrection and still claims the election was stolen from him is someone I enjoyed speaking with, frequently."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:13 pm You might want to sit down:
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said on Sunday that he had enjoyed a good relationship with then-President Donald Trump, with whom the senator said he had frequent conversations.

“I got along well with Donald Trump,” he said. “We had a good rapport.”

“He called me all the time. We talked back and forth,” the Democrat added.
"Disgraced President that incited an insurrection and still claims the election was stolen from him Someone who won West Virginia in 2020 by 39 points is someone I enjoyed speaking with, frequently."
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The best part is if and when our democracy collapses power hungry cowards like Manchin won't face any sort of reckoning for going along to get along. It's really nice to be completely unaccountable if you can get away with it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As frustrating as it is to have all sorts of important and good ideas die in Joe Manchin's office, I really don't bear him any significant animus. The man has to represent West Virginia. Given that, he's shockingly progressive.

Rather, I save my animus for a political structure that gives West Virginia (pop. ~ 1.8 million) much more representation than Los Angeles County (pop. ~ 10 million). Hate the game not the player, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This entire story is batshit insane.

Short version: Kansas State GOP rep was substitute teaching and apparently lost his damn mind. Ranting at students about sex, suicide, and Jesus, then bullying specific kids and assaulting others by shoving them and kicking them in the balls. Parents found out, Rep got arrested, then released this completely bonkers official statement.

Dude needs some serious help.
I am truly sorry that this has caused confusion and pain, especially in my native hometown. But this is not about me. It never has been. If it were up to me, I’d be sitting on a beach in Australia or exploring the jungles in Africa. Maybe the beach in San Diego, or Portland or Madison remain on my bucket list of places to travel. Of course, I’m pretty blue collar, so Melvern Lake or a Royals game is more my style.

But my FAMILY has been in Kansas by choice and pro-life (iron-ic, huh?) since 1869. I’m not quite that old, but they must have some pretty good character and roots, because they voluntarily left amazing places like Indiana and Pennsylvania to come here, Kansas, a FREE STATE.

Some of us attend church on Sunday, some of us don’t. But WE are all God-fearing people. In fact, my family voluntarily donated land to establish a beautiful church here in the outskirts of nowhere/somewhere the world will never stop to visit. We prefer it that way, because we are busy farming, teaching, hunting, and attending or watching as many sporting events as possible, from youth to high school to college to professional sports on the world stage (c’mon World Cup, KC would love to host you with our unbeatable Midwestern hospitality).

What happened in Wellsville on Wednesday? Only God knows.

I have my version. You have yours. The kids, as we discussed in each hour BEFORE 5th hour and then also at the beginning of 5th hour before anything “newsworthy” occurred, each as theirs.

So how do we find the Truth? It’s probably not be listening to the yellers and the screamers, is it? Yet look how quickly they get headline news today. They come after everyone. Our educators, our law enforcement, our doctors and frontline workers, our judges and court personnel. They attack Christianity while calling for God to be removed from the classroom and cancelled or erased from American history and modern society.

It’s not going to work folks. Do you like how our world looks right now? Do you like the skyrocketing divorce rates and teenage suicide rates? Of course we don’t. But how many of us pause to CHANGE our own actions? Any of you attended a #ZeroReasonsWhy meeting lately? You should. That group is amazing, and it’s turning the tide on mental health.

Any of you volunteered to substitute teach #ForTheKids? It’s a financial sacrifice. Or ref middle school or high school sports to #CallItBothWays? Let me tell you, the pay is great. And if you think MY behavior in the classroom on Wednesday was inappropriate or even criminal, how about we compare it to YOUR behavior at any given PUBLIC SCHOOL (or private or home school) sporting event? Look how the world treats our children and our referees in those settings? I know, because I’ve reffed countless of them. And we are at wit’s end. I literally had a grandma on the front row holding a baby in Gardner, Kansas last week (AAU tournament, shocking they couldn’t find any refs who wanted to show up) calling me every 4-letter word in the book, and then some, because she was acting out of anger, hostility, and resentment. In those scenarios, we referees are frequently in fear for our safety. Yet THAT is American society that has become “normal.” And the helpers and good guys keep showing up so the kids can play. Why? God only knows. I would suggest it’s because we love the kids and we love the game so much that we tolerate more abuse than the average American and dare I say keyboard warrior or yeller or screamer or chicken can fathom. THE KIDS NEED US. Like Coach Martin said, the kids haven’t changed. But boy has our society and parenting. And it’s not good for our young people, folks.

On Sundays, I attend church. I know where I am going. A church that actually makes sense and uses the Lord’s Word in a positive manner. I am aware that not all churches necessarily operate that way. I can’t change the world. And only Jesus can save. I am fine. I am saved. I am doing my absolute best to bring national attention to teenage mental health and prevention of suicide.

Folks, I get messages from our young people about every day, maybe every-other-day, dealing with things I couldn’t even imagine when I was a student at Wellsville myself. Anxiety, depression, hallucinations, suicidal ideation, attempted suicide, etc. In our small towns, ONE suicide deeply hurts our entire community. NO MORE FOLKS. Step up. Do something. Check on our neighbors. Get off our phones and social media. God’s country and His people are still incredible. He didn’t create skin colors. Humans screwed that up. He didn’t create hate. Yet look at what we do via social media every single day.

As President Lincoln, our beautiful Nation — founded on God while fully respecting and protecting freedom of religion — will NEVER be brought down from the outside. Conservative or liberal, black or white, gay or straight, it makes no difference, folks. In moments of need, AMERICANS rally together to heed the call. Out of many, ONE. Yet as so many prior American leaders have warned, here we are on the brink of destroying ourselves from within. How many more wake-up signs do we need? Riots at the Capitol? Mass shootings? Pure evil and hatred?

Dear God, enough is enough. I pray the NEW NORMAL is one based on love. And compassion. And patience. And yes, fearing God Almighty and doing our best to understand and follow His word. The Bible. The 10 Commandments. I pray that Kansas and America returns to a NEW NORMAL where the laws WE mere mortals write are consistent with the teachings of Jesus. And that we all do our best to respect one another. We follow and obey the manmade laws that sit well with our own morals and religious beliefs, and when not, we firmly yet gracefully protest publicly — quietly at first, then loudly if necessary — in the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Justin Bieber figured it out. And Katy Perry. And Blake Shelton. And Patrick Mahomes. And what politician…..it’s hard to find one isn’t it, and yet we keep voting for these folks who do the same things over and over like SHEEP. For their special interests, political parties, and wealthy donors. Do we really wonder why America is hurting so badly right now? I don’t. It’s not rocket science. I would suggest Liz Cheney has it figured out. And yet look how she gets crucified. God bless her, her family, and all of Wyoming for sending her to Washington, DC to clean up a mess of perhaps unparalleled proportions. And yet how many of us have already moved on from the attack by the so-called “Patriots” on OUR Nation’s Capitol? I cried that day. I pray to God every day that we UNITE as a country to fix it. Yet I don’t see it. No, sadly, it looks like more business and life “as usual.”

Was Wednesday unorthodox? Absolutely. Did I intend to hurt a soul or act for a single moment out of rage, animosity, or any other element of battery? Absolutely not. I honest to God love all His children. That’s what Jesus teaches. I’m not trying to sound preachy. But how else do you tell the truth and speak about the Bible? I don’t know. I’m doing my best folks, and I am genuinely sorry for any pain or confusion this may cause anyone. But I will put my hand on the Bible right now and swear that I didn’t do anything wrong. Those kids are the LAST people on the planet I would ever do anything to intentionally hurt. I’ve known most of them for years, some for over a decade.

Now let’s compare that to YOUR actions. I know several kids who care about me deeply and because of the nasty and false/misleading things written by the KC Star and others here on social media, THEY are hurting. That’s not caused by me folks. Nope, that’s you, keyboard warriors. I actually show up at their events. Or at least I used to. And I will again after this storm passes, because their parents and they want me there. They invite me there. Not all of them. But many, or most. I can’t do anything about the haters. Nope, that’s beyond me. But I do listen to T-Swift. I shake it off. Always will. God has me exactly where He NEEDS me. And that scares folks and confuses ’em. Some of them anyway.

The truth will continue to unfold over the coming days. Remember that patience is a virtue. Notwithstanding the efforts of some to convict immediately — some for caring but misguided motives, others for ill motives — here in American we are innocent until proven guilty. For all those worried about me and my mental condition, please put your fears to rest. I am good. Better than ok, but not great. It seems that’s about the best we can do in this world for anything more than a short period. For all the haters attacking me relentlessly, please stop. Your words are immaterial to me. You don’t know me. You don’t care to. That’s fine. But your words are hurting the young people who are watching and paying attention. I deeply regret that my actions may have caused confusion or sadness among a handful of some young folks. But I only had ONE RULE. They know what is was, and it was simple. If they broke the rule, I told them the truth. Some of them did lie. Deceive. Etc. But not the vast majority. And many of them that appeared to, knew exactly what they were doing to serve a higher purpose. MENTAL HEALTH FOR OUR YOUNG PEOPLE, and even our not-so-young. I said that every single hour, 1st-5th. I am beyond tired of attending funerals of our kids. I will scream that from about anywhere. If that upsets you, we probably don’t have much to discuss, so perhaps your keyboard is the best place for you. But I would honestly suggest that here a lot more important uses of our time, both yours and mine.

Please keep all the prayers coming for healing, for Teddy, for mental health reform, for criminal justice reform, for the right balance of God to be allowed in our public places and schools. Because it’s not there right now folks. The proof is in the pudding.

I’m off to church. Take care everyone. Let’s Go Royals! clap, clap, clap clap clap.

Rep. Mark Samsel
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm MENTAL HEALTH FOR OUR YOUNG PEOPLE, and even our not-so-young.
Well he nailed this part, at least.

Whenever something like this happens I wonder how much of it was that the person lost their mind, and how much of it was always there and it's just that context and unimportance shielded it. With this guy I'm going to guess it's mostly the latter.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pmHate the game not the player, I suppose.
When the players make the rules of the game, it's ok to hate the players.

MYT