Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: Political Randomness

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:40 pm I'm still trying to articulate what the truck has to do with it
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ckup-truck
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:52 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:40 pm I'm still trying to articulate what the truck has to do with it
Very good article!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive hated modern pickup trucks for many years now. They are too big. In the old days they were like a car with a bed in them. Now you cant see around them at all and I hate that. Hell I think the beds are still the same size lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:25 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:52 pm
Very good article!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:17 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 pm No. No. He had a "bad day" and was a sex addict. Really. That's the story right now.
When the police chief is trying to get you sympathize with the killer at the press conference...

This is almost surreal to see.
It gets even fucking better...
“He was pretty much fed up and kind of at the end of his rope. Yesterday was a really bad day for him and this is what he did,” Cherokee County sheriff’s office Capt. Jay Baker said Wednesday. He was describing the 21-year-old man accused of killing eight people, mostly Asian and almost all women, in a rampage across three Atlanta-area spas.

Then — as the violence stirred fears in an Asian-American community that already felt under attack — Internet sleuths and journalists found Baker’s Facebook posts promoting shirts that called the novel coronavirus an “IMPORTED VIRUS FROM CHY-NA.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... r-bad-day/
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

45 keeps on giving...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wait, wouldn’t a t-shirt with China spelled “Chy-na” like that be mocking Trump since he says it like the moron he is?
Holman

Post by Holman »

[Oopsie wrong thread...]
Last edited by Holman on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 am Wait, wouldn’t a t-shirt with China spelled “Chy-na” like that be mocking Trump since he says it like the moron he is?
Would anyone who disliked Trump wear a shirt endorsing his "China Virus" slur?

This kind of thing is common in the right-wing meme game: a certain amount of self-mockery confuses the normies and provides cover for the real message.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know plenty of people who mocked Trump's speech, Twitter tirades and the like, and still 100% believed in everything he stood for.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Mr. Fed surfaced on St. Paddy's Day on the All the Presidents' Lawyers podcast.

A highlight:
...this was one rioter realizing, 'Hey, maybe it's better that this not end up on television.' And yet, he was also there wearing a sweatshirt from the school that his children attend so it doesn't look like even he had the presence of mind to try to keep himself anonymous … but I guess that's also evidence of consciousness of guilt?

Ken White: Very much so. Doing something with the camera is exactly what you do if you knew you were doing something wrong and that could get you into trouble. So that's going to be strong evidence that he knew he shouldn't be doing what he was doing. Yes, I understand the kids' private school is not appreciative and they've gotten a lot of comments. I tend to try to stick to just embarrassing my kids at parent-teacher conferences.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tennessee Senate passes permitless carry bill, folks react

So no permits needed. No training required. Just get a gun and carry it...hidden or open. Sounds like complete stupidity to me.
The Constitutional Carry or Permitless bill means the majority of law abiding citizens over 21 in Tennessee won’t need a permit to tote a handgun open or concealed. “I would encourage people to take the training that they want to take, but that’s their right not to do that. Their right is to be able to carry a pistol for protection, a handgun,” Senator Gardenhire said.
Hahah Get some training or not..up to you. Ya like wearing a mask was up to them.

Then you have common sense folk saying the permit system helps while the Repugnicans claim it doesn't do anything. Id tend to disagree with them.
“Nobody wants the permitting system to change. The permitting system works. It keeps guns out of the hands of dangerous people. Look, one law can’t stop all crime, but if it can stop some of the crime then it’s worth having,” Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense East TN Group Lead Jodi Scheer said.

Tennessee State Director for the NRA Matt Herriman said the legislation is a great step for advancing second amendment rights.

“I’ll say this, there’s been a lot of talk about the permit system. There’s been a lot of talk about, you know, sky is falling, wild wild west. The permit system does not keep bad actors from doing bad things, and so, whether this legislation passes or not, this is not going to change the way criminals behave,” Herriman said.
So lets see. The one group who wants to keep permits is for saving lives and protecting people and the NRA who supports no permits is all about making money..hmmmm.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Matthew Yglesias and a chunk of the right is going after Rupar for his 'bad day' tweet.

FWIW Yglesias has been flaming out having been driven out of vox.com which he founded and forced into substack for 'editorial independence'. Which is weird to claim when you quit a place you co-founded. Anyway, the side note here is that there is a loud group trying to defend the officer and the kid and it's just sickening.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Ken Vogel at the NY Times makes the same bizarre mistake. I don't understand this. There appears to be a weird movement to defend this cop despite what you can see with your own eyes if you click play on the clip in the original tweet.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Until after this incident I never realized there was much racism against orientals. Except for WW2 veterans who fought in the Pacific like my dad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, we locked a large number of them up in WWII simply because they were Asian. However, German Americans were mostly okay because they were white.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, but I think the word oriental fell out of favor a long time ago. I would recommend avoiding its use.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:29 pm Until after this incident I never realized there was much racism against orientals. Except for WW2 veterans who fought in the Pacific like my dad.
We have a fairly large Asian population -- my neighbors across the street are Vietnamese; two towns away, Quincy is largely Asian; and Chinatown is a prominent Boston neighborhood. I haven't noticed bigotry against them myself, although I've read news reports about incidents in Chinatown since Florida Man stirred the pot with the kung flu. I'm not Asian and I don't get out much, so it could very well exist without me knowing. IDK what's in my neighbors' hearts, except for those few who advertise it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:35 pm I mean, we locked a large number of them up in WWII simply because they were Asian. However, German Americans were mostly okay because they were white.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, but I think the word oriental fell out of favor a long time ago. I would recommend avoiding its use.
Referring to people as orientals has fallen out of favor. I think it's still acceptable for rugs, food, etc.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Asian prejudice and stereotypes have a long history in America. Dr. Seuss is a recent example of it.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/the ... in-the-u-s
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Also, dude, ‘Chinaman’ is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:28 am

Referring to people as orientals has fallen out of favor. I think it's still acceptable for rugs, food, etc.
Partially because 'oriental' was always applied to the stereotypes, and partially because if you live in Laos, you're right in the middle of your world. You're only an oriental from the perspective of a European (oriental = easterner.) And defining a people as being a function of another people reduces them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:59 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:29 pm Until after this incident I never realized there was much racism against orientals. Except for WW2 veterans who fought in the Pacific like my dad.
We have a fairly large Asian population -- my neighbors across the street are Vietnamese; two towns away, Quincy is largely Asian; and Chinatown is a prominent Boston neighborhood. I haven't noticed bigotry against them myself, although I've read news reports about incidents in Chinatown since Florida Man stirred the pot with the kung flu. I'm not Asian and I don't get out much, so it could very well exist without me knowing. IDK what's in my neighbors' hearts, except for those few who advertise it.

In enlightened Lexington I was told to go back to China last summer. While walking my dog the other day there was a pickup truck pulled over with an upside down flag sticker with a blue stripe and a "Thanks China" sticker. 'Merica...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 pm

In enlightened Lexington I was told to go back to China last summer. While walking my dog the other day there was a pickup truck pulled over with an upside down flag sticker with a blue stripe and a "Thanks China" sticker. 'Merica...
Lexington.....???

States with cities named Lexington:
Alabama
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
Washington

:P
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Didn't realize Lex Luthor was that popular.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:38 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Lexington.....???

States with cities named Lexington:
Alabama
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia
Washington

:P
MA
Black lives matter!

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:09 pm Tennessee Senate passes permitless carry bill, folks react So no permits needed. No training required. Just get a gun and carry it...hidden or open. Sounds like complete stupidity to me.
Maine moved to a concealed carry permit-free state and it's made zero difference. In the years since the law passed, the state didn't suddenly devolve into the wild west or experience an uptick in crime or mass shootings. You would never know anything changed.

If someone is a legal gun owner, they'll jump through the hoops if they want to carry - or they won't if they don't. Making the option paperwork free doesn't change much.

The only thing it really seems to impact is whether or not the cops have an extra charge to levy against someone who was carrying illegally to begin with.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:54 amThe only thing it really seems to impact is whether or not the cops have an extra charge to levy against someone who was carrying illegally to begin with.
I totally support that reason.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I support the idea of a federal permit or national standard for reciprocity. Individual state permits are ridiculously complicated. That's why these states are going to "Constitutional Carry." If there was a federal permit or a national standard for state permits it would be a lot easier to sell the idea.

The convoluted patchwork we current have just makes it easier for states to justify permitless "constitutional carry."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

From the "double entendre headlines" department:

"Biden Holds Fundraiser for Bottoms"

:gay-umbrella:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman

Post by Holman »

That dude's haircut is his whole argument.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The dumbest, dumbest, dumbest time line. Luckily this is Egypt so no idiot mouth-breather with an AR-15 is going to board the ship to find the imprisoned child sex slaves.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I REALLY wish I had not read through some of that. Gah.

I'm renaming my pet name for these people from "The Crazy" to "The Stupid".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They seem to think Hillary is the Riddler. "I've planned the perfect crime! Now, to seed clues all over Gotham to prove I'm smarter than BatAnon!"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:35 am They seem to think Hillary is the Riddler. "I've planned the perfect crime! Now, to seed clues all over Gotham to prove I'm smarter than BatAnon!"
My favorite comments are the ones where some of the Qdiots are like this conspiracy is too easy to link together. Why would the deep state be this obvious. Like there is another dimension to it that *must be there*.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:35 am They seem to think Hillary is the Riddler. "I've planned the perfect crime! Now, to seed clues all over Gotham to prove I'm smarter than BatAnon!"
QAnon is way ahead of you. The diabolical pedophile cabal *has* to leave clues and give decipherable signals because *declaration* is how Satan fights God. Or something.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey look, stupid electoral rules might screw over Democrats again:

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wait so a recall turns into a jungle governorship race?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:12 am Wait so a recall turns into a jungle governorship race?
You bet! And Newsom can't be a candidate in the "phase 2" voting if the "phase 1" recall vote passes. So Democrats have to either run at least one candidate (potentially splitting the phase 1 vote) or not and risk having no Democratic options on the ballot if Phase 1 passes anyway. And obviously no ranked choice voting on the second part. So stupid.

Of course, as the underlying article notes Newsom could just resign before the election if it looks like the phase 1 is likely to pass and short circuit the whole thing.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And then you have worry about Feinstein being a billion years old. What a way to run a country.
Of course, as the underlying article notes Newsom could just resign before the election if it looks like the phase 1 is likely to pass and short circuit the whole thing.
We're at the point where the Democrats have to start being smart about things so that should be the back up plan. The main reason to not do it is they'll piss off Republicans is what I gleaned. Pissing off Republicans shouldn't be a worry. They are already rabid and seeking to tear up our democracy by playing these bullshit games.