Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Political Randomness

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:07 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pm but I think the people that took action were just waiting for an excuse, any excuse, to act out their fantasies. Just like most rioters and looters.
In the end, people are responsible for their own actions, lemmings are not.
Just like the one guy in the Lincoln Project. Although their leaders actually did speak out against him. So I'm not sure why you tried to associate his actions with the entire Lincoln Project by calling out it in your post instead of the one man who did those horrible things. :?
Because we all know when one person does something bad, it reflects on all those around him who may have supported him at one point in time......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:33 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:40 pm but I think the people that took action were just waiting for an excuse, any excuse, to act out their fantasies. Just like most rioters and looters.
Just like the one guy in the Lincoln Project. Although their leaders actually did speak out against him. So I'm not sure why you tried to associate his actions with the entire Lincoln Project by calling out it in your post instead of the one man who did those horrible things. :?
Because we all know when one person does something bad, it reflects on all those around him who may have supported him at one point in time......
There might be a distinction between when the people knew that the bad actor did something bad and still supported him vs. when the bad actor did something bad then his supporters abandoned him. (And to avoid any confusion, anyone who didn't know that Trump was bad person who did bad things back in 2016 and still supported him either had their heads in the ground or are bad people themselves.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:33 pm
It does if they don’t call him out on it, yes. Thanks for the addendum. I had forgot to mention that. In light of the last four years, it’s an important and damning addendum.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How about no.
Mike DeWine announced Monday that he wants to spend $50 million on a marketing campaign to convince East Coast and West Coast residents to live, work and spend their money in Ohio.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also:

Meet the USPS Fairness Act.

USPS is forced to prefund its employees’ health care *50 years in advance* — the #1 cause of USPS’s money problems.

Last year we voted 309-106(!!) to repeal this monstrosity. Mcconnell blocked it for 333 days.

We are moving fast to pass it again.
F Mitch McConnell.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 pm How about no.
Mike DeWine announced Monday that he wants to spend $50 million on a marketing campaign to convince East Coast and West Coast residents to live, work and spend their money in Ohio.
Shouldn't we encourage this? It would help fix the problems with the Senate to move 'extra' Californians and New Yorkers to Ohio. To be sure it would be cheaper and more efficient to move them to Wyoming and Nebraska and the like, but if Ohio's putting up the money I'm fine with them as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've often thought that if Soros was the evil leftist mastermind that the right believes him to be, he'd be busily colonizing the low-population red states with enclaves of coastal elites and liberals.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:45 pm
Shouldn't we encourage this? It would help fix the problems with the Senate to move 'extra' Californians and New Yorkers to Ohio. To be sure it would be cheaper and more efficient to move them to Wyoming and Nebraska and the like, but if Ohio's putting up the money I'm fine with them as well.
I'm super in favor of this. For people who aren't me, because no.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

were i to return to the midwest, i would find it very difficult to go anywhere other than my native place-of-birth region (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN), especially since i still have family and friends there. (tho it is a thought i have had multiple times, given the cost of housing here...)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My MIL lives in Ohio (she relocated there) and has repeatedly commented that it's a culture shock to be living around so many hardcore conservative / Republicans. And yet...she relocated there, fully knowing what it was like.

I don't plan on ever setting foot in the state, for reference. The insane public health laws they propose (and pass) plus that hard swing for Trump in 2020? Nah, I'm good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres some useless tidbit info. Biden gave his pilots that fly him around a coin..one of those military coins..cant remember what they are called. Shook hands with them and always thanked them. Trump...nothing...didn't speak to them or acknowledge they were alive and no coin.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:32 pm Heres some useless tidbit info. Biden gave his pilots that fly him around a coin..one of those military coins..cant remember what they are called. Shook hands with them and always thanked them. Trump...nothing...didn't speak to them or acknowledge they were alive and no coin.
So I suppose you're going to tell me Florida Man's favorite performer is Tom Petty.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Better not be as I love Tom Petty and couldn't stand to like something florida man does.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:32 pm Heres some useless tidbit info. Biden gave his pilots that fly him around a coin..one of those military coins..cant remember what they are called. Shook hands with them and always thanked them. Trump...nothing...didn't speak to them or acknowledge they were alive and no coin.
Challenge coin.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes! Thank you. Someday Ill ask to see the coin and get a pic.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:26 am I've often thought that if Soros was the evil leftist mastermind that the right believes him to be, he'd be busily colonizing the low-population red states with enclaves of coastal elites and liberals.
There's a serious movement encouraging African-Americans to return to the South and (alongside Blue others) become politically dominant.

What happened in Georgia could happen in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama in this decade with some immigration and a lot of political activism.

NYT columnist Charles Blow just published a book on it: The Devil You Know: A Black Power Manifesto
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Trump's pilots are working towards sobriety coins now, if that helps.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Wyoming? No.
Faced with COVID-19 and the collapse of Wyoming’s coal industry, Republican Gov. Mark Gordon said recently that the state might have to start abandoning small towns because there’s not enough money to maintain their sewers and streets.
Sundance, Wyoming, is considering axing its entire police force because they can’t pay for it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe if they weren't 47th in tax burden, they'd have more money. :think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Right, but if we moved in (say) 600,000 people from NYC, LA, SF, and SD, you'd have a lot larger tax base, plus a population more politically willing to support tax levels needed to actually maintain government.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Real shame we cant have leaders where our choices are who can do more and better stuff for us citizens, the country and the world rather than what alien they believe in.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:34 pm Maybe if they weren't 47th in tax burden, they'd have more money. :think:
I thought maybe you were being snarky, but no. It's true. Tax a little more, afford more services. That's not very GOP, though. It's better to die in the ditch than beg for a band-aid.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe they could light the river on fire and charge admission to come to the campout.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 pm
Wyoming? No.
Faced with COVID-19 and the collapse of Wyoming’s coal industry, Republican Gov. Mark Gordon said recently that the state might have to start abandoning small towns because there’s not enough money to maintain their sewers and streets.
Sundance, Wyoming, is considering axing its entire police force because they can’t pay for it.
If only there was some way for the people who represent the state to support some kind of relief package.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:15 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:34 pm Maybe if they weren't 47th in tax burden, they'd have more money. :think:
I thought maybe you were being snarky, but no. It's true. Tax a little more, afford more services. That's not very GOP, though. It's better to die in the ditch than beg for a band-aid.
:D

The best snark is based on facts.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:15 pm
My wife's uncle literarly did this... well not the ditch part. But he did refuse to sign up for Obamacare even though it could have been used to prevent his death.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So they're considering defunding the police?

Radical Pinko leftists. :ninja: :wink:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

My county in NE Colorado is entertaining the idea of declaring itself part of Wyoming, with predictable fallout from the various red state/blue state residence residents. Of course, this is the largest agricultural producer in the US east of the Rockies, so it'd immediately become Wyoming's biggest deal going.

Wyoming Gov. Mark Gordon on Weld County secession: 'We would love that'

Local red staters *love* the idea of seceding, until blue staters point out it'd immediately make both states more Democratic.

[edit: word]
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 pm
This is local sentiment that drives me to stop talking to people with whom I can't just agree to disagree. They don't want to pay any taxes but are happy to live in a place where services are provided by the grace of government and regulation. Which means taxes and bureaucracy. but no, "tax is theft. Obama care destroyed my portfolio and drove prescription costs through the roof. You can only tax me for the services I[i/i] use and they must exceed the cost of me using them. Why should I pay for public schools? COVID isn't really killing people. There was no disruption on the (Michigan) march on the Capitol." I have up. I shut them all down. All of them. I've lost my ability to dialog. To be patient. To listen. I'm not sure how I'll get it back or if I can.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Meal wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:36 pm
Local red staters *love* the idea of seceding, until blue staters point out it'd immediately make both states more Democratic.
Sssh! Let's not spoil the surprise for them.
Formix

Post by Formix »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:52 pm Right, but if we moved in (say) 600,000 people from NYC, LA, SF, and SD, you'd have a lot larger tax base, plus a population more politically willing to support tax levels needed to actually maintain government.
I actually love ideas like this. Like what if a like-minded group of 10,000 folks decided to move to one of these "failing towns" and completely dominate it and the surrounding county. Like a bunch of IT remote workers who are used to paying California taxes, and agreed to pay 50% of that in their Wyoming town, and show everyone else what that could do.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Giuliani: The Worlds Worst Lawyer. I mean...he isn't even aware that disclaimers on opinion shows are normal?
WABC Radio inserted in the following statement before cutting back to Giuliani's show: "The views, assumptions and opinions expressed by former U.S. Attorney, former attorney to the President of the United States and New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, his guests and callers on the program are strictly their own, and do not necessarily represent the opinions, beliefs or policies of WABC Radio, its owner Red Apple Group and other WABC hosts or our advertisers.
"I would have thought they would have told me about that before just doing what they just did," Giuliani said after he came back on air. "Rather insulting."

Giuliani then tried to make the disclaimer some sort of free speech issye. "Gives you a sense of how far this free speech thing has gone. And how they frighten everybody. I mean, we're in America, we're not in East Germany. They got to warn you about me? I'm going to have to give that a lot of consideration. I also think putting it on without telling me, not the right thing to do. Not the right thing to do at all."
Has he always been this bad? Or are we witnessing someone going through a mental health tragedy?
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m past the point of thinking that it could be an actual mental illness. Gotta be.

Chronic delusion, at least.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's all part of the new rhetoric. If a social media site or news agency won't broadcast your lies, they're against free speech and anti-American. A store won't let you come in without a mask? Anti-American. They're morphing the Constitution into whatever they need it to be because it actually will get people to rally behind them and support their nonsense.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Formix wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:05 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:52 pm Right, but if we moved in (say) 600,000 people from NYC, LA, SF, and SD, you'd have a lot larger tax base, plus a population more politically willing to support tax levels needed to actually maintain government.
I actually love ideas like this. Like what if a like-minded group of 10,000 folks decided to move to one of these "failing towns" and completely dominate it and the surrounding county. Like a bunch of IT remote workers who are used to paying California taxes, and agreed to pay 50% of that in their Wyoming town, and show everyone else what that could do.
New Republic: The Town That Went Feral
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I had no idea that ex-Presidents could continue to receive classified intelligence briefings once they're out of office. I'd have presumed they never have a need to know anything, which is the criteria that goes hand-in-hand with an appropriate clearance in order to have access to anything.

Biden: 'Erratic' Trump should not get intelligence briefings
President Joe Biden has said his predecessor Donald Trump should not be given access to intelligence briefings because of his "erratic behaviour".

The US has a tradition of allowing former presidents to be briefed on the nation's security issues - as a courtesy extended by the incumbent.

But when asked by CBS News if Mr Trump would receive the same courtesy, President Biden said "I think not".

He cited Mr Trump's "erratic behaviour" as his reason for refusing access.

"I don't think there's any need for him to have an intelligence briefing," Mr Biden said in his first sit-down interview since becoming president.

He declined to speculate on what his worst fears would be if Mr Trump were allowed to see classified reports, but he suggested the former president could not be trusted to keep confidential information to himself.

"What value is giving him an intelligence briefing? What impact does he have at all, other than the fact he might slip and say something?" Mr Biden said.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It shouldn't even be because he's erratic. We know he's compromised by the Russians. May as well set up a hotline info dump to Putin's phone.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:13 am It shouldn't even be because he's erratic. We know he's compromised by the Russians. May as well set up a hotline info dump to Putin's phone.
Biden just can't say that out loud.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Political Randomness

Post by Carpet_pissr »

On the surface, it seems like an absurd, dangerous idea in general (but 20x more dangerous wrt Trump obviously). What am I missing?

If it’s simply for ‘perk’ reasons, I hope we ditch it permanently.

It could also be one of those “it’s a necessity, we just can’t tell you WHY” situations. 🥷