Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Alefroth »

Come on attrition!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unfortunately the most reliable 'to actually vote' voters align with those age brackets too.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am IMHO, this is going to split the Republicans in half. A good portion of Republicans would never vote for Trump again, and feel betrayed by the GOP leaders for picking Trump in the first place. Either they defect or they don't turn out.
Or they just swallow the Crazy down like Lindsey Fucking Graham did. Whatever it takes to make it OK in your head (which is not much, since basic human behavior tells us we HATES admitting we were wrong about something, especially something Big and Important and Serious).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fascism on parade.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:52 pmOr they just swallow the Crazy down like Lindsey Fucking Graham did. Whatever it takes to make it OK in your head (which is not much, since basic human behavior tells us we HATES admitting we were wrong about something, especially something Big and Important and Serious).
Lindsey has jumped off the deep end even considering recent behavior. If anyone missed it, 2 days ago he went on Bartiromo's program to call a carve out in the pademic bill for black farmers 'reparations'. Which is flat out racist at this point. Farm aid has disproportionately favored corporations and white farmers forever. A relatively small debt relief component aimed at minorities is hardly reparations. Good lord. Last night he went on Fox and said border insecurity was a great way to sneak in terrorists. The guy has simply decided he doesn't need to be anything but an tacticitly racist fearmonger.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I don’t even think it’s that ‘organized’. Much like (but even worse maybe) Mitch McConnell, he takes on WHATEVER persona he needs to at any given moment, to sound “relevant” as he put it.

At least the Mitch rarely if ever (can’t?!) changes his demeanor, though his positions flail wildly. Graham one-ups him here by not only wildly changing positions to suit his ‘relevancy’, but ALSO his demeanor.

He can be whining and almost in tears begging for money one day on Hannity, then banging a gavel and having an angry tantrum pretending to be a hard ass the next.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's a good point. I have to wonder if it is an act or not. In 2014, they were saying his willingness to be serious and compromise were going to earn him a tea party challenge. Here we are 7 years later and he has suddenly sprouted nearly all of Trump's worst traits and adopted his policy positions. My opinion? He is another cynical power hungry POS.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:57 am That's a good point. I have to wonder if it is an act or not. In 2014, they were saying his willingness to be serious and compromise were going to earn him a tea party challenge. Here we are 7 years later and he has suddenly sprouted nearly all of Trump's worst traits and adopted his policy positions. My opinion? He is another cynical power hungry POS.
Yup. I think that 2016 disabused him of the notion that there was any future in McCain-ism in Republican politics, so he made the calculated (and unfortunately, probably correct) decision to go full MAGA.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant believe so many people support Mitch even when he stands up and preaches not giving Americans free money. Never mind not supporting good bills and supporting stuff that hurts lower and middle class but supports the rich. Common sense says someone like that is instantly voted out quick as possible. But nope.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:46 am I cant believe so many people support Mitch even when he stands up and preaches not giving Americans free money. Never mind not supporting good bills and supporting stuff that hurts lower and middle class but supports the rich. Common sense says someone like that is instantly voted out quick as possible. But nope.
Because in the end they'll still get the money. They'll twist it into some fairy tale about how Mitch et. al. tried to stop minorities who don't deserve it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 am I've yet to met a Republican that is not in Trump's side. The idea they are splitting is just wishful thinking. Our only hope is that he choaks to death on one of his steaks.
It could be that those "moderate Republicans" have gone into hiding or declared themselves independent instead. :) I know I did. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"I don't take any responsibility at all."
— Trump on March 13, 2020

"How dare you not give me all credit."
— Trump on March 13, 2021

Modern GOP in a nutshell.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Small survey finds 5 factions in the GOP. I'm quoting the whole story because it's short.
k Times

The Republican Party in the era following Donald J. Trump’s presidency is comprised of five “tribes” that have ranging affinity for the former president and different desires when it comes to seeing him continue to lead the party, according to a new survey by Mr. Trump’s former pollster.

The survey of 1,264 voters, who are registered Republicans or identify as Republicans, is the first comprehensive one conducted about G.O.P. voter sentiment since Mr. Trump left office, and as he considers running again in 2024. It was conducted by the Republican polling firm Fabrizio and Lee — which worked for Mr. Trump in his 2020 campaign but does not any longer.

The former president “still wields tremendous influence over the party, yet it is not universal or homogeneous,” the pollsters wrote in their summary. “We found that there are clear and distinct ‘tribes’ of Trump supporters within the G.O.P. and, not surprisingly, a small Never Trump group.”

Those “tribes” were identified as “Trump Boosters,” “Die-hard Trumpers,” “Post-Trump G.O.P.,” “Never Trump,” and “Infowars G.O.P.” The latter group, among other things, was described as viewing QAnon conspiracy theories favorably and believing in many of them.

According to the data, some 57 percent of Republicans polled said they would support Mr. Trump in an election again. That’s a strong majority, but nowhere near the job approval that he enjoys among all Republicans polled, which was 88 percent.

Among the groups, according to the survey, there were some distinctions in terms of how they viewed Trump.

The group identified as “Die-hard Trumpers” — supporters of the former president who would back him in a hypothetical primary regardless of who else was running but who don’t believe in QAnon conspiracy theories — comprised 27 percent of the Republican voters surveyed. Another 28 percent comprised the “Trump Boosters,” Republicans who said they approve of how Mr. Trump did his job, but only a slight majority of them support him being the nominee again, and they are more supportive of the Republican Party than Mr. Trump personally.

The “Never Trump” Republicans comprised 15 percent of the Republicans surveyed. Another 20 percent were described as “Post-Trump G.O.P.,” who like Mr. Trump but want to see someone else as the party’s nominee.

The “Infowars G.O.P.” voters, named for the conspiracy-laden news outlet that was founded by Alex Jones, comprised 10 percent of the voters surveyed, far from a majority but a significant enough portion of voters that, in a multicandidate primary, could play a factor. Only 13 percent of all the voters surveyed believed in QAnon conspiracy theories, the poll showed, but 69 percent of the “Infowars G.O.P.” voters backed those theories.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alabama GOP issued a resolution last week calling for everyone to view Trump as one of the greatest presidents in our country’s history. They gave him a signed and framed copy last night at Mar-a-Lago during their monthly Suck on Trump’s Balls event.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They are absolutely going to deify him when he croaks and his kids are going to go on tour and spread the word of Trump. I 100% believe we're witnessing the origins of a new religion here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 am They are absolutely going to deify him when he croaks and his kids are going to go on tour and spread the word of Trump. I 100% believe we're witnessing the origins of a new religion here.
They're at least going to try to Saint Reaganize him. Republicans for decades to come will be required to declare their loyalty to him even after he's long dead.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I guess he knows his base.
Yahoo wrote: Explaining why he didn’t feel threatened during the Capitol riot, Johnson said the largely white pro-Trump crowd that stormed the Capitol were patriots and then claimed race as a reason for why he might have felt differently.

"Even though those thousands of people that were marching to the Capitol were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, and so I wasn't concerned," Johnson said on the conservative radio talk show.

"Now, had the tables been turned -- Joe, this could get me in trouble -- had the tables been turned, and President Trump won the election and those were tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter and Antifa protesters, I might have been a little concerned."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Storming the capitol, refusing to disburse, breaking down doors and windows avoiding security entry taking tours of the floors of Congress and the private offices is not doing "anything to break the law?

We know what you are as one of the highest law makers of the land and how much respect for the law you actually have.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If this doesn't perfectly describe the current state of the GOP, I've got nothing:

GOP argument is always:

1. It's illegitimate for Dems to do anything without at least some cooperation from us.
2. We're not gonna cooperate on shit.

The logic is that Dems can't ever do anything legitimate. And that is exactly the point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As another follow up, the only 12 votes against awarding medals to the capitol police for their work on 1/6 were (sit down) all GOP members. The problem? The language and description as to why they were being awarded medals.

12 members who voted against House bill to award the Congressional Gold Medal to Capitol Police & those who protected the Capitol on Jan 6
Sports medal

Massie
Harris
Gooden
Good
Gaetz
Cloud
Clyde
Steube
Biggs
Gohmert
Greene
Rose

Final Tally: 413-12
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, we all knew Gohmert's a piece of shit anyway.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

IIRC, Gohmert wrote up a counter-bill that officially honored the officers who "died in January" but made no mention of Capitol attack whatsoever.

We'll see more and more of this kind of alternative history.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Someone confront Gaetz on this. I wanna see if he whips out another teenage boy as his defense.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's some more data points as to what the Alabama GOP is up to today - what they're currently prioritizing.

Alabama House has what promises to be a contentious calendar today. It includes bills banning on transgender youth playing sports of the sex with which they identify; a "born alive" abortion bill; legislation expanding rioting definitions & a ban on curbside voting.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

While we're defining the Republican Party, can we change it's nickname from GOP to GQP?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:45 pm While we're defining the Republican Party, can we change it's nickname from GOP to GQP?
I think QOP is both sounds better and is more aesthetically pleasing.
Holman

Post by Holman »

QKK sounds accurate to me.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well this happened. I'd casually mention to the guest that they already are aligned behind a fascist but that's just subtext.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We're fascist extremists because you kind of forced us into it. Shrug. Whaddya gonna do?

I'm also soooo tired of the lie that BLM protesters who destroyed property were not held accountable. There were over 10,000 arrests, and many of those were non-violent protesters. And in fact, any quick Google search will show the statistics that BLM protesters were arrested in far greater numbers than even the Capitol insurrectionists.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Whiny little bitch fascists.

If conservatives don’t want to follow the law because it’s too hard, then it’s time to go to jail. You don’t follow the rules because they’re convenient. Or because you think the other side isn’t.

Tucker Carlson is an evil conspirator.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree about the accountability lie. It is completely tiresome. Especially with their ridiculous justifications and self-parody on this issue alone. Really? After 1/6 this is your take. Come on, man!

On the whiny front - that is the thing that strikes me too. They are jumping up and down like spoiled children because they don't get to keep blacks or the poor or whoever their disfavored enemy is in 'their place.' And what's scary is they still feel comfortable talking openly like this and get validation from a public figure with millions of viewers. This is bad stuff.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, there's a reason why Tucker Carlson is the alt-right's favorite talking head.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If you don't let us be extremists we'll be extremists?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thread...

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Oh look, the Ku Klux Kemp.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe it'll be a girlfriend of the adopted son who fell out of the sky.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Birds of a feather...
The three people said that the examination of Mr. Gaetz, 38, is part of a broader investigation into a political ally of his, a local official in Florida named Joel Greenberg, who was indicted last summer on an array of charges, including sex trafficking of a child and financially supporting people in exchange for sex, at least one of whom was an underage girl.

Mr. Greenberg, who has since resigned his post as tax collector in Seminole County, north of Orlando, visited the White House with Mr. Gaetz in 2019, according to a photograph that Mr. Greenberg posted on Twitter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Must be "nice". Kick back with the President at the White House. Reminisce about the good old days with Epstein.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.