Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:14 pm Heard bits of Greene speech about how this is the party of Trump and that republicans voting against her are voting against the base and they are done. So all of the ones who didn't vote against her are complicity or cowards. She drew the line and the masses chose a side.

Man, is she loahesome human being.
We're really at the point of having one serious political party and one huge cult that's dedicated to killing it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Two House Republicans fined $5,000 each for not completing security screening to enter House floor

The video to that story pisses me off. They should be arrested. Barred totally from entering.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:23 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:14 pm Heard bits of Greene speech about how this is the party of Trump and that republicans voting against her are voting against the base and they are done. So all of the ones who didn't vote against her are complicity or cowards. She drew the line and the masses chose a side.

Man, is she loahesome human being.
We're really at the point of having one serious political party and one huge cult that's dedicated to killing everyone.
FTFY
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Dozens of former Republican officials, who view the party as unwilling to stand up to former President Donald Trump and his attempts to undermine U.S. democracy, are in talks to form a center-right breakaway party, four people involved in the discussions told Reuters.

The early stage discussions include former elected Republicans, former officials in the Republican administrations of Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush and Trump, ex-Republican ambassadors and Republican strategists, the people involved say.
The plan would be to run candidates in some races but also to endorse center-right candidates in others, be they Republicans, independents or Democrats, the people say.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN2AB07P

I'd be more optimistic if it included a few current Republican politicians.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:14 am Nikki Haley after criticizing Trump now says, "Give him a break",
And now she says they shouldn't have listened to him.

"We need to acknowledge he let us down," Haley said. "He went down a path he shouldn't have, and we shouldn't have followed him, and we shouldn't have listened to him. And we can't let that ever happen again."
Haley is a despicable two faced piece of garbage. She says whatever she needs to get in the good graces of whoever has the power. I have zero respect for her after all her enabling of Trump over the years. I hope her political career is dead.

He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:25 am
Grifman wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:14 am Nikki Haley after criticizing Trump now says, "Give him a break",

"We need to acknowledge he let us down," Haley said. "He went down a path he shouldn't have, and we shouldn't have followed him, and we shouldn't have listened to him. And we can't let that ever happen again."
Haley is a despicable two faced piece of garbage. She says whatever she needs to get in the good graces of whoever has the power. I have zero respect for her after all her enabling of Trump over the years. I hope her political career is dead.

She could earn points if she said we shouldn't have followed him and people need to stop following him now. That means legislative bodies and the voters who empower them. If she can't make that leap then I don't know what good the first leap was.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

She should not earn points no matter what she says now. Every thing she does/says is based on her calculation of how it will help her in a 2024 run. In other words...

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:25 am

1. She's following the Lindsey Graham playbook, which to date has worked out well for him. No reason to think it wouldn't also work for her.

2. A two-faced politician? [insert image of Will Ferrell in a robe on a couch in his Mom's basement] "MA?!? Where the F^%# are my PEARLS!?!" :D

3. SERIOUSLY doubt her political career is dead, but I wish it were so. I wished REALLY bad things on her for abandoning us to the Trumpster Gov we have now. Whom I suspect had a backroom deal with Trump - Trump appoints Haley to UN Ambassador, to make way for Foghorn to slide into her old Gov position. "Slither" is a better word. Nothing swampy about that, nope! (obviously speculation on my part, but Guvnah Henry "Foghorn Leghorn" McMaster was the first to support Trump for Pres, so I assume he needed to be rewarded)

4. She is apparently "up and coming" in possibly both the Trump party, and the New GOP party...she is trying hard to navigate between those two, as are many tricksy pols who want to be in play within the next decade. Like everyone else, she has no idea how things will shake out exactly (IMO, the GOP is already split and broken, and now it's just admin details to work out names, etc). So she is playing both sides until she gets a whiff of clarity. Because she is truly despicable, she really could go either way, because she has enough "material" to pull from the past 4 -6 years to use whichever path she chooses.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Side note: I just noticed recently that there's a picture of Nikki Haley (with others) right next to my office door. :puke-front:
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now imagine the veterans having to walk past the president's picture when they go to the VA.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Somehow MWGA doesn't flow as nice.
Patriot Party of Wisconsin

The logo of the six-week-old Patriot Party of the State of Wisconsin is neither elephant or donkey, but a lion. It's site reads "Make Wisconsin Great Again."

The party was officially formed on Dec. 20, 2020 in a filing with the Wisconsin Ethics Commission, which was amended on Jan. 25, 2021. No names were included on the filing. In the blank space for the name of a treasurer is written "appointed, Not Yet."
It will be interesting to see if these fringe groups in various states gain traction.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:45 pm
In the blank space for the name of a treasurer is written "appointed, Not Yet."
"Appointed, Not Yet" is such bizarre phrasing. Was "Not Yet Appointed" entered into an input mask intended to parse an actual name (i.e. interpreted as given names Not Yet and surname Appointed)? :think:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

NY Times
A central issue in last week’s impeachment trial was whether former President Donald J. Trump deserves a political future. But his acquittal sparked speculation on Sunday about the electoral prospects of another Trump: his daughter-in-law, Lara.

Senator Richard M. Burr’s decision to vote for the conviction of Mr. Trump incensed many Republicans in his home state of North Carolina, and in doing so reignited talk that Ms. Trump, a native of Wilmington, N.C., would seek the Senate seat Mr. Burr will vacate in 2022.

“My friend Richard Burr just made Lara Trump almost the certain nominee for the Senate seat in North Carolina to replace him if she runs,” Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, said in an interview on Fox News on Sunday.

Ms. Trump did not respond to a request for comment. One senior Republican official with knowledge of her plans said that the Jan. 6 riot soured her desire to seek office, but that she would decide over the next few months whether to run as part of a coordinated Trump family comeback.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:46 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:45 pm
In the blank space for the name of a treasurer is written "appointed, Not Yet."
"Appointed, Not Yet" is such bizarre phrasing. Was "Not Yet Appointed" entered into an input mask intended to parse an actual name (i.e. interpreted as given names Not Yet and surname Appointed)? :think:
Most people don't know that Yoda is super active among right wing political groups.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well we now have a glimmer of Trump's plan. He'll "speak" using his PAC. He clearly didn't write it but it is imbued with his malevolent spirit. I'm still surprised he didn't tap MTG or some other person who can get on camera to be the 'Voice of Trump'. But then again maybe we shouldn't give him ideas.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Drive that wedge in deep. Tool.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Mitch's turn to realize that it's not a good idea to let the face-eating leopard out of the zoo.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

They're still committed to the Big Lie while they are implementing more election controls across the country. Notice how he slipped in some utter horse shit about how Biden killed millions of energy jobs to paper over the GOP policy disaster in Texas, and just blustered on in general. It's all a fantasy with these guys.

While I want to also be mad at these networks for giving these guys a podium, I don't know what they can do now. No strategy works when one party has gone over the edge. We're in big trouble here.

Bonus clip of absolute absurdity (referring to the bottom one since it is doing the Twitter thread thing):

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Read this short article on CNN this morning about Kinzinger and the letter 11 members of his family wrote condemning him for failing to support Trump.
Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God! We were once so proud of your accomplishments! Instead, you go against your Christian principles and join the “devil’s army” (Democrats and the fake news media) . . .

You have embarrassed the Kinzinger family name!
Unreal. And heartbreaking. I can’t even begin to understand what motivates these people.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 pmUnreal. And heartbreaking. I can’t even begin to understand what motivates these people.
Cognitive dissonance.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 pmUnreal. And heartbreaking. I can’t even begin to understand what motivates these people.
I've said it elsewhere. We're witnessing the emergence of a Scientology-equivalent movement inside the GOP. They've found their cult leader and there is no other way for them except Trump. As long as any of the non-Trump silent GOP party members shrug their shoulders and allow these fringe insurgents to act as the mouthpiece for the party instead of purging them, the GOP will continue to rot from the inside. They are 100% a cult at this point and getting more dangerous every day.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 pm
I've said it elsewhere. We're witnessing the emergence of a Scientology-equivalent movement inside the GOP. They've found their cult leader and there is no other way for them except Trump. As long as any of the non-Trump silent GOP party members shrug their shoulders and allow these fringe insurgents to act as the mouthpiece for the party instead of purging them, the GOP will continue to rot from the inside. They are 100% a cult at this point and getting more dangerous every day.
I think this is probably right. When will L. Ron Trumpy try to declare MAGA a religion so he can avoid paying taxes altogether?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My guess is it won't be him, it'll be his kids after Trump dies. They'll start to organize conferences and seminars that use books, quotes, video clips, etc... of Trump in action to help "elevate' his followers. Look what Trump was able to accomplish by acting this way! Just follow the Trump method and you too can drive change as a local committee member, PTO President or local business owner. They'll incorporate low-key Christian values at first to get more people to join - extolling the value of service and charity (like the Trump Org has always done), encouraging followers to get into public service and be the change that their communities need. And they can double-down on how much he was hated and how everyone railed against Trump because of all the change he was trying to bring to America, even going so far as to deny him his hard-won second term. But he was a fighter to the very end and now they need to carry the mantle of MAGA.

I need to stop; it's all too plausible.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Instead, you go against your Christian principles and join the “devil’s army” (Democrats and the fake news media) . . .
Someone has been watching Attack on Titan on Toonami. Are the Eldians the bad guys and the comfortable Marleans who have used the Eldians to retain power for millenia the good guys. It's yet to be known for those of us who haven't read the source material.

Also, how very Christian of his family.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm curious how it'll be reported but Greene got up and gave a bigoted anti-trans speech on the House floor and then moved to adjourn the House for the day...and basically every member of the GOP willing to cast a vote is joining her.

Edit: FWIW bigoted seems fair. I actually went looking for this because I saw it live on C-SPAN and was struck by her description of this law working (to paraphrase) "against God's creation".

Edit: We might be witnessing the birth of a new obstructionist tactic. I don't know House rules well enough to say how successful this would be on the regular but I see she bought an hour plus delay with this adjournment motion because they need to keep corralling House members to come down and vote.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well if it makes anyone feel better if Trump can stall all his cases until 2024 he will 100% run again to make himself immune again. We really need him to get hit by a bus or something between now and then. Oh and I think he could win again. We're that broken.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 pmWe're that broken.
I happened to have C-SPAN on because of the DeJoy hearing - which is a shit show of a different order but that aside - what I saw was just unhinged behavior. They started with the usual one minute speeches at the beginning of the day which are usually...all over the board. Today was organized to an extent.

Today's sequence was not great. Early we saw a GOP member make a declaration that the chamber must recognize that the majority is the slimmest since 1875 (or whatever) and only had a majority by 30K votes. Here is the crazy thing. That math might be exactly right despite the Democrats getting 5M more votes overall and still *losing seats*. That is something we've known a long time and is directly tied to gerrymandering.

Anyway, eventually Greene stood up and gave voice to hate against trans people and then moved to adjourn the House's business. In my opinion, the message I heard them communicate is that this Democratic majority is barely legitimate, that they are being stepped on by the majority, and the GOP wants to take their ball and go home. We'll see if this turns into a regular occurrence or not but this ground the house to halt for over an hour. I don't know how anyone can watch this and not come away with the sense that we're in a worsening crisis.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I can't watch this nonsense in much detail or I'll go insane. It's been super nice to not have ridiculous shit people said by the president at least.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Carpet_pissr

Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:My guess is it won't be him, it'll be his kids after Trump dies. They'll start to organize conferences and seminars that use books, quotes, video clips, etc... of Trump in action to help "elevate' his followers. Look what Trump was able to accomplish by acting this way! Just follow the Trump method and you too can drive change as a local committee member, PTO President or local business owner. They'll incorporate low-key Christian values at first to get more people to join - extolling the value of service and charity (like the Trump Org has always done), encouraging followers to get into public service and be the change that their communities need. And they can double-down on how much he was hated and how everyone railed against Trump because of all the change he was trying to bring to America, even going so far as to deny him his hard-won second term. But he was a fighter to the very end and now they need to carry the mantle of MAGA.

I need to stop; it's all too plausible.
Thanks, Smoove. What’s your mailing address so I can send you my upcoming therapy bill?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mitch surrenders to Trump. This comes on the heel that Trump will speak at CPAC. The only person speaking out is Liz Cheney and I expect she'll be primary-ed away. In the long term, maybe he will run again. Maybe he won't. It doesn't matter. They've embraced darkness fully.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 pm Oh and I think he could win again. We're that broken.
Given the voter suppression measures that will be in place by the GOP before the next election, I don't think it's really a question that Trump could win.

I fully expect that if he runs, he will win.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm going to continue to push the idea that they're a cult now.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ahhh. Finally the Golden Calf has been constructed.
Worship at its feet.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:17 amI'm going to continue to push the idea that they're a cult now.
Yup

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I mean besides the people dying, the negative job creation and the absolute ruining of our reputation around the world I think he did a great job. We're so f'n screwed.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:26 am We're so f'n screwed.

I am going to start (as soon as they will let us) vacationing in New Zealand, in the hopes that I can marry my daughter off to a citizen of that country. Perhaps the most meaningful thing I could do for my bloodline.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My company has an office in NZ. Maybe I can get transferred. :o

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Octavious wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 am My company has an office in NZ. Maybe I can get transferred. :o
Based on what I know about your company, they would just make you commute.
Black Lives Matter