Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She is wrong...

Cheney holds on to House GOP leadership position amid furor over impeachment vote
Three sources told NBC News the vote among Republican House members was 145-61.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:37 am She is wrong...

Cheney holds on to House GOP leadership position amid furor over impeachment vote
Three sources told NBC News the vote among Republican House members was 145-61.
She only won in a secret vote. Ugh, the cravenness of these Representatives. I mean seriously, can they not see that all they have to do is stand up and the Q-strawman will fall? Sure, maybe they'll face primaries from Q-facing candidates but if they secure the money from big money donors then who freekin cares?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:10 pm
So arguably the worst president in US history
I dont see anything to argue about. He was and is the worst.
But will he always be the worst, or will there be a worse one in the future?

Just something to think about when you go to sleep.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:58 am

I feel pretty safe saying he'll be beat by the last President.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 pm
Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:58 am

Felt that way in 2016 re: the GOP Nomination tho, and the GOP is so much more beholden to the Q voters right now. Do we really think that will change in '22/'24? Especially in the Dem nominee is Harris?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I believe he means the very last president.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:31 pm I believe he means the very last president.
Although technically the very last president could be a great guy whose presidency is ended by a meteor or super volcano.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't. One could be an otherwise competent president during a time when the end of the US is outside of the hands of the US (eg, asteroid impact) or where it was already put on the path of ending before they were elected.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:53 pm
I don't. One could be an otherwise competent president during a time when the end of the US is outside of the hands of the US (eg, asteroid impact) or where it was already put on the path of ending before they were elected.
Fair. My reasoning was we'd always get through that (short of the extinction event - at which point, who cares? :) ) one way or another and hang together as a nation. We do well circling the wagons against outside forces - it's when we have time to self reflect that we have issues.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 pm We do well circling the wagons against outside forces - it's when we have time to self reflect that we have issues.
That's arguable at this point.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:53 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:59 pm We do well circling the wagons against outside forces - it's when we have time to self reflect that we have issues.
Yeah, 2001 was the last time America appeared unified. The fractures reappeared pretty quickly after that. I'd say COVID is an "outside force" that we are definitely not uniting against.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:00 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:53 pm
Yeah, 2001 was the last time America appeared unified. The fractures reappeared pretty quickly after that. I'd say COVID is an "outside force" that we are definitely not uniting against.
I was thinking Putin but I think you nailed it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, like, today.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm
So, like, today.
Despite the efforts of Trump (and other Republicans), I don't think the country is doomed yet. (But maybe that's wishful thinking?)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It's also possible the US could transform into something better (or at least, different) that doesn't have Presidents.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:06 pm It's also possible the US could transform into something better (or at least, different) that doesn't have Presidents.
I'd like to see us become a parliamentary system, but I know that would be impossible.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Philosopherkingocracy
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Greene gets slapped off of committees. Even 11 Repugnicans vote her out.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1yNGaWAXlVNxj
House votes to remove Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene from committee roles
The House of Representatives voted 230-199 on Thursday to remove GOP lawmaker Marjorie Taylor Greene from her committee assignments over her embrace of the QAnon conspiracy theory and other violent political rhetoric.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Defiant wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:06 pm It's also possible the US could transform into something better (or at least, different) that doesn't have Presidents.
No, that's not possible. There's not going to be another constitutional convention, which is what it would take. Not going to happen.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Grifman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 pm
No, that's not possible. There's not going to be another constitutional convention, which is what it would take. Not going to happen.
Not possible? I think it's a lot likelier than, say, the doomsday asteroid hitting Earth scenario.

Just because something seems politically impossible now doesn't mean it will remain that way.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I had wondered if most of those were the same Republicans who voted to impeach Trump, but I checked and only 3 who voted for impeachment were among those who voted to kick her off the committees.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 pm
It would be possible and Constitutional for Congress to aggressively re-assert its status and privileges as a co-equal branch of government.

The reason we have an Imperial Presidency is that Congress values party over responsibility.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Make the House and Senate only GOP and DEM..one gets each..250 per side...then either nothing gets done or some convince others to vote their way....of course that would lead to more hidden in each camp lol.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well howdy there internet people.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Nebraska GOP preparing to censure Senator Sasse for being disloyal to Trump
The state Republican party of Nebraska is preparing to vote on censuring U.S. Senator Ben Sasse before the conclusion of the Senate’s impeachment trial of former president Donald Trump.

The text of the Resolution of Censure, first reported by News Channel Nebraska, runs more than 1,200 words long, but every charge against Sasse basically boils down to the claim that the senator has been insufficiently loyal to Donald Trump, was wrong to oppose efforts to delegitimize and overturn the 2020 presidential election, and was wrong to blame Trump for the January 6 Capitol riot that left one police officer dead and sent 14 more to the hospital.

Although Sasse hasn’t said if he will vote to convict Trump, the censure resolution hits the Nebraska senator for his vote last week affirming that it is constitutional to hold an impeachment trial of a former official.

The resolution takes issue with Sasse’s accusation that Trump was guilty of “pouring gasoline on these fires of division” and deserves some blame for the Capitol riot. The resolution also condemns Sasse for relaying that a White House official told him Trump was “delighted” as the attack on the Capitol unfolded, without naming “which officials said Trump was ‘delighted.’”

Another charge against Sasse is that he said Missouri senator Josh Hawley’s plan to object to the certification was “a really dumbass stunt, based on lies that the election was fraudulent.”

“Senator Ben Sasse has persistently engaged in public acts of ridicule and calumny against President Donald J. Trump, through both the spoken and written word, questioning the president’s agenda, decisions, motives, and competency,” the resolution declares.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is all part of the slow, protracted death of the GOP, right?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It really does have to die at this point so it can be reborn without the nutcases that have infiltrated it. I don't see any other way.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:07 am This is all part of the slow, protracted death of the GOP, right?
I thought that 2008 with the coming of the Tea Party hucksterism and the outlandish claims of the far far religious right but then 70 million people voted to reelect Trump. That they say 2017 to 2020 and said "Oh yeah! Give me more of that!" I referred to it in 2008, and probably before, as a welcomed coming of implosion of the party. I am coming to terms with the probability that I have been very very wrong, that Rip and company are the other side of the US coin, and that we're in a lot of trouble.

Oh, and anecdotally, they see Biden as part of the extreme leftism. Biden.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I get the hope that it'll die and be reformed but the problem lies squarely in the madness of the voters. We are supposed to be comforted that secret votes indicate that only a third of House representatives are blindly Trump loyal? That is really bad still. And how much does it matter? Where the public can see, Republicans generally all feign loyalty to Trump. I suspect they are in a holding pattern waiting to see if he can maintain his grip with the base now that he is de-platformed and the results of the trial.
Carpet_pissr

Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Deleted
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't believe 70 million people suddenly decided to embrace QAnon conspiracies, anti-democracy, open racism, etc. However, I DO believe that tribalism is so strong in this country that 70 million people would rather ignore all that than vote for the opposing tribe. That's the real problem here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote:I don't believe 70 million people suddenly decided to embrace QAnon conspiracies, anti-democracy, open racism, etc. However, I DO believe that tribalism is so strong in this country that 70 million people would rather ignore all that than vote for the opposing tribe. That's the real problem here.
Nailed it
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:29 am I don't believe 70 million people suddenly decided to embrace QAnon conspiracies, anti-democracy, open racism, etc. However, I DO believe that tribalism is so strong in this country that 70 million people would rather ignore all that than vote for the opposing tribe. That's the real problem here.
Yup
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you're sitting a at a table with 5 Nazis and you're not saying anything, there are 6 Nazis at the table. Functionally (to me) it doesn't matter if only 5 million members of the current GOP are Trump/Q supporters and the other 65+ million are just along for the ride. Effectively they're all garbage, doubly so if they're allowing the party to swerve into the insanity that Trump normalized during the last 4+ years.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:03 am If you're sitting a at a table with 5 Nazis and you're not saying anything, there are 6 Nazis at the table. Functionally (to me) it doesn't matter if only 5 million members of the current GOP are Trump/Q supporters and the other 65+ million are just along for the ride. Effectively they're all garbage, doubly so if they're allowing the party to swerve into the insanity that Trump normalized during the last 4+ years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:03 am If you're sitting a at a table with 5 Nazis and you're not saying anything, there are 6 Nazis at the table. Functionally (to me) it doesn't matter if only 5 million members of the current GOP are Trump/Q supporters and the other 65+ million are just along for the ride. Effectively they're all garbage, doubly so if they're allowing the party to swerve into the insanity that Trump normalized during the last 4+ years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pragmatism
Moral questions immediately present themselves as questions whose solution cannot wait for sensible proof. A moral question is a question not of what sensibly exists, but of what is good, or would be good if it did exist. ... A social organism of any sort whatever, large or small, is what it is because each member proceeds to his own duty with a trust that the other members will simultaneously do theirs. Wherever a desired result is achieved by the co-operation of many independent persons, its existence as a fact is a pure consequence of the precursive faith in one another of those immediately concerned. A government, an army, a commercial system, a ship, a college, an athletic team, all exist on this condition, without which not only is nothing achieved, but nothing is even attempted.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pragmatism/
This human witness tries to get sight of the squirrel by moving rapidly round the tree, but no matter how fast he goes, the squirrel moves as fast in the opposite direction, and always keeps the tree between himself and the man, so that never a glimpse of him is caught. The resultant metaphysical problem now is this: Does the man go round the squirrel or not? (1907: 27f)
James proposed that which answer is correct depends on what you ‘practically mean’ by ‘going round’. If you mean passing from north of the squirrel, east, south, then west, then the answer to the question is ‘yes’. If, on the other hand, you mean in front of him, to his right, behind him, to his left, and then in front of him again, then the answer is ‘no’. After pragmatic clarification disambiguates the question, all dispute comes to an end. So James offers his pragmatism as a technique for clarifying concepts and hypotheses so that metaphysical disputes that appear irresoluble will be dissolved.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote:If you're sitting a at a table with 5 Nazis and you're not saying anything, there are 6 Nazis at the table. Functionally (to me) it doesn't matter if only 5 million members of the current GOP are Trump/Q supporters and the other 65+ million are just along for the ride. Effectively they're all garbage, doubly so if they're allowing the party to swerve into the insanity that Trump normalized during the last 4+ years.
That's true, but it's also human nature. It's been consistent throughout history.

We must continue to fight against it, but we shouldn't be surprised.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heard bits of Greene speech about how this is the party of Trump and that republicans voting against her are voting against the base and they are done. So all of the ones who didn't vote against her are complicity or cowards. She drew the line and the masses chose a side.

Man, is she loahesome human being.