Republican campaign staff crime wave! (latest 2/21)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Republican campaign staff crime wave! (latest 2/21)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 pm Duncan Hunter's wife flipped:
Lowering the Bar
Now, Hunter’s plea agreement does not specifically mention the rabbit. Technically, on paper, he admitted to only two of the alleged overt acts: spending $511 in campaign funds for a “family celebration” in 2011 (#43), and $409 for “a social outing with several of his closest friends” in 2016 (#191). So is it accurate to say that he “pleaded guilty to” the other 198 alleged overt acts? Which, by the way, included but were not limited to:

[Pared list - Isg]
  • $351 to rent a car for a “personal ski trip with Individual 14” (#2);
  • $162 for a night at the Liaison Hotel with Individual 14 (#33);
  • $36 for Uber rides to the residence of Individual 15 (#83);
  • $203 for dinner with a group including Individual 16 (#124);
As for why Hunter changed his position now after denying guilt for so long, the Washington Post notes that his “legal situation” had “become more precarious in recent months.” That’s because wife and co-conspirator Margaret pleaded guilty in June, agreeing as part of the deal to testify against Duncan. Why’d she do that? Well, guilt is one explanation. But her decision was probably made much easier by learning about Individuals 14, 15, and 16 (see above), as well as Individuals 17 and 18, also mentioned in the indictment. Because all of those individuals were female, and none of them were Margaret Hunter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

He got off lightly, but it's still a Federal Felony he has pled guilty to.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And no signs of stepping down, because that's the world we live in now.
When asked Wednesday about whether and when he intended to resign, Hunter blew off the question. “Good talk,” Hunter told a POLITICO reporter.

So far, neither Republican nor Democratic leaders have pressured Hunter to leave office, although there is precedent for expelling members who don’t step down following a criminal conviction. Hunter is not scheduled to be sentenced until March 17.

“Our patience is not unlimited,” a top Democratic leadership aide warned.
Amazing. Strongly worded letter to follow, I'd imagine.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I've become cynical enough to think the Dems probably figure a convicted felon will be easier to run against than whomever else might run on the Rep ticket in his place.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is shameful but that is the GOP. Especially shameful since he is likely dragging his feet to keep drawing salary. Considering this was a campaign financial issue this is basement level ethics on his part. But again GOP so expected.

It is interesting to note that he was stealing relatively tiny amounts of money...so I dont think it is tough to guess he is very bad at risk/reward decisions. They might need to drag him out depending on how desperate his financial situation actually is. But I think they will well before sentencing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Indictment

P. 46-7 - Over $25k per year for the years of 2015 and 2016.

P. 6 - 1,100+ overdraft/NSF fees in seven years, totaling over $37k, and over $24k in interest and fees tied to maxed/overdrawn credit cards.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rolling Stone
California Rep. Duncan Hunter has called it quits. Hunter pled to a conspiracy count as part of a plea bargain in a criminal campaign finance case against him on Tuesday. Then on Thursday the embattled representative was stripped of his congressional voting privileges by the House Ethics Committee; he resigned later that same day.

Announcing his resignation, the congressman released a statement, which read, “Shortly after the Holidays I will resign from Congress. It has been an honor to serve the people of California’s 50th District, and I greatly appreciate the trust they have put in me over these last 11 years.”
According to 10News in San Diego, the governor of California will call for a special election to fill the congressman’s vacated seat when an exact date of resignation is official.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The Holidays? OMG, he was a liberal all along!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did he release a statement or did he say this while in a vape cloud? I kinda hope it was in the vape cloud. I guess he'll have more time to play those STEAM games he purchased a few years ago.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AZ GOP running for Congress OD's on Heroin
Chris Taylor, a Safford city councilman who is running for Congress, overdosed on heroin last week and since has suspended his campaign.
On the good news side:
The Wednesday incident was a relapse for Taylor, a combat veteran who has battled opioid addiction since high school.

In a written statement, Taylor said he was seeking treatment and not backing away from what happened.

"Today, I have suspended my campaign for the US House of Representatives and am seeking treatment for substance abuse disorder. I will fully cooperate with local authorities on any matters arising from my recent relapse and overdose," Taylor said in a statement to The Arizona Republic on Monday.

"I’m not going to hide from this. I’m not ashamed of what happened. I wish to sincerely apologize to the amazing people who have supported me. I don’t know what went wrong. I recently relapsed after having so many solid years in sobriety. I have to figure out where I went wrong."
Hope he is successful in battling his demons.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

We haven't mentioned Danielle Stella yet, have we?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mississippi:
found that $94 million in total could either not be accounted for or had been spent on questionable purposes, more than 90 percent of what the state has received over the last three years.

The report is part of the largest investigation into misuse of welfare funds in state history and has already resulted in the arrest of the Mississippi Department of Human Services' former head, John Davis, in February.

The money came as part of the federally funded Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, which provided state officials $98 million over the last three years to be distributed at officials' discretion to state programs and nonprofit groups supposed to help Mississippi's poor. Nearly all of that money was misused, according to the audit.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/89349322 ... ery-scheme

FBI agents arrested Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder on Tuesday morning at his rural farm. Householder was taken into custody in connection with a $60 million bribery scheme allegedly involving state officials and associates.

That's gotta hurt.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Four others were also arrested: former Ohio Republican Party Chairman Matt Borges, Householder adviser Jeffrey Longstreth, and lobbyists Neil Clark and Juan Cespedes.

The charges are linked to a controversial law passed last year that bailed out two nuclear power plants in the state while gutting subsidies for renewable energy and energy efficiency.

The federal complaint describes a years-long bribery campaign to build support for Householder's bid to become House Speaker and then pass the nuclear bailout law with his help. Householder won the Speakership in January 2019, and the bailout passed in July 2019. It went into effect in October.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:19 pm https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/89349322 ... ery-scheme

FBI agents arrested Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder on Tuesday morning at his rural farm. Householder was taken into custody in connection with a $60 million bribery scheme allegedly involving state officials and associates.

That's gotta hurt.
Karma, This couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. I just hope they can grab some of the other un-indicted rats tied into this.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree. However, if past informs us here is how the news clip will go in 2-3 years. Narrator: Today the SCOTUS found that donations from First Energy to former Ohio House Speaker Householder's PAC donations were legitimate political speech and overturned his conviction on...
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:58 am I agree. However, if past informs us here is how the news clip will go in 2-3 years. Narrator: Today the SCOTUS found that donations from First Energy to former Ohio House Speaker Householder's PAC donations were legitimate political speech and overturned his conviction on...
The papers are already digging in. Apparently he spent some of the money on a house in Florida. He owed back taxes (surprise) and the house was in disrepair, so he spent a bunch of the money just to keep himself out of legal trouble in Florida.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

Scraper wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am
malchior wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:58 am I agree. However, if past informs us here is how the news clip will go in 2-3 years. Narrator: Today the SCOTUS found that donations from First Energy to former Ohio House Speaker Householder's PAC donations were legitimate political speech and overturned his conviction on...
The papers are already digging in. Apparently he spent some of the money on a house in Florida. He owed back taxes (surprise) and the house was in disrepair, so he spent a bunch of the money just to keep himself out of legal trouble in Florida.
After Bob McDonnell and BridgeGate I don't even know if that stuff matters anymore. It feels like the only way they'll make this stick is to have a video of him being handed a bag with a dollar sign on it by a guy in a mask who says out loud for no reason...this is for the 'subsidies'.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TPM
A political consultant for former Rep. Scott Taylor (R-VA) has been indicted on election fraud charges.

According to an online court record, former Taylor consultant Rob Catron committed the offense in May 2018, the same year that Taylor’s campaign was engaged in a petition signature forgery scheme — an effort to split the Democratic vote by getting the 2016 Democratic nominee for the same office on the ballot as a third-party candidate. A judge ultimately ruled that the third-party candidate, Shaun Brown, be removed from the ballot.

After the signature forgery scheme was uncovered, Rep. Elaine Luria (D) went on to defeat Taylor in 2018, and again in 2020.

It’s not clear what precisely Catron is accused of doing; the online court record merely references 24.2-1016, the law governing “willfully false” material statements made on election forms, categorized as election fraud.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

BREAKING: Republican strategist and campaign manager Anton Lazzaro has just been arrested on underage sex trafficking charges.

Lazzaro is the latest on a long list of GOP political operatives, donors, and candidates who have been charged with trafficking and/or raping minors.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's almost like the whole Qanon liberal pedophile ring conspiracy is just projection.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been saying that all along. I've had the unfortunate experience of knowing two convicted sex offenders (co-workers, didn't know it at the time), and in hindsight they were both the ones who always brought up random, unrequested condemnations against sexual harassment or child molestation in work conversations.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oddly enough, our Republican-elected county coroner just got busted for trying to meet up with a 14-year-old girl (who was actually a predator vigilante who posted the video on YouTube.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Tennessee - setup their own consulting firm for the grift!
Smith and Casada allegedly received kickbacks from Cothren in exchange for using their official positions to pressure the House Speaker's Office to approve Phoenix Solutions as an official vendor and disburse state funds to the firm, according to court records.
Not allegedly, as she is pleading guilty...

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A central Indiana man accused of murdering his wife and dumping her body in a creek in March has won a Republican primary election for township board in the state – from jail.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... an-primary
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:clap:
that's pretty impressive.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A signature forgery scandal has turned the race for the GOP nomination to be Michigan’s next governor on its head: Two leading Republican candidates did not collect enough signatures to qualify for the primary ballot after invalid signatures were excluded, according to a report from the state’s Bureau of Elections.

The Bureau of Elections reports will now go to the Board of State Canvassers, which will vote Thursday on which candidates qualify to appear on the ballot for the state’s Aug. 2 primaries.

Thirty-six petition circulators — campaign workers hired to collect signatures — “submitted fraudulent petition sheets consisting entirely of invalid signatures,” according to the Bureau. In all, according to the Bureau’s report Monday, these circulators submitted at least 68,000 invalid signatures across nominating petitions for 10 candidates.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mich ... signatures
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:14 am
A signature forgery scandal has turned the race for the GOP nomination to be Michigan’s next governor on its head: Two leading Republican candidates did not collect enough signatures to qualify for the primary ballot after invalid signatures were excluded, according to a report from the state’s Bureau of Elections.

The Bureau of Elections reports will now go to the Board of State Canvassers, which will vote Thursday on which candidates qualify to appear on the ballot for the state’s Aug. 2 primaries.

Thirty-six petition circulators — campaign workers hired to collect signatures — “submitted fraudulent petition sheets consisting entirely of invalid signatures,” according to the Bureau. In all, according to the Bureau’s report Monday, these circulators submitted at least 68,000 invalid signatures across nominating petitions for 10 candidates.

Wait the Michigan GOP is doing what accuse Michigan democrats of doing but are largely electing candidates willing to invalidate democratic votes with no proof up to in including the GOP institutional level? Say it ain't so.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:19 pm
Defiant wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:14 am

Wait the Michigan GOP is doing what accuse Michigan democrats of doing but are largely electing candidates willing to invalidate democratic votes with no proof up to in including the GOP institutional level? Say it ain't so.
Honestly, this works to their advantage.

The number-one authoritarian goal is to convince citizens that democracy is a sham. An openly corrupt GOP that keeps claiming to discover Democratic corruption eventually persuades the electorate that voting is thoroughly rigged and doesn't/shouldn't matter.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First Cawthorn and now Boebert? Could there be a pattern:
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) is under investigation for possible fraud.

The first-term Colorado Republican allegedly inflated her mileage totals in 2020 and then used more than $20,000 in campaign reimbursements to pay off years worth of tax liens on her restaurant, and state officials confirmed the matter had been forwarded to an interagency group for investigation, reported the New York Times.

The allegations against Boebert were first reported in February 2021, claiming that Boebert had cashed two checks from her campaign totaling $22,259 for mileage reimbursement, but that figure worked out to 38,712 miles -- which is significantly further than the planet's 24,901-mile circumference.

“This is not an attack on Lauren Boebert,” Wheeler said. “Had Rep. Boebert paid her restaurant staff properly and also paid the unemployment premiums to the State of Colorado, an investigation never would have been necessary.”

Boebert's campaign later amended the mileage reimbursement to include travel expenses and hotel rooms, but the new filing still shows $17,280 in mileage reimbursements.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Are no Flat Earth experts willing to come to her defense?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:37 pm First Cawthorn and now Boebert? Could there be a pattern:
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) is under investigation for possible fraud.

The first-term Colorado Republican allegedly inflated her mileage totals in 2020 and then used more than $20,000 in campaign reimbursements to pay off years worth of tax liens on her restaurant, and state officials confirmed the matter had been forwarded to an interagency group for investigation, reported the New York Times.

The allegations against Boebert were first reported in February 2021, claiming that Boebert had cashed two checks from her campaign totaling $22,259 for mileage reimbursement, but that figure worked out to 38,712 miles -- which is significantly further than the planet's 24,901-mile circumference.

“This is not an attack on Lauren Boebert,” Wheeler said. “Had Rep. Boebert paid her restaurant staff properly and also paid the unemployment premiums to the State of Colorado, an investigation never would have been necessary.”

Boebert's campaign later amended the mileage reimbursement to include travel expenses and hotel rooms, but the new filing still shows $17,280 in mileage reimbursements.
Didn't the last president set precedent after legal investigation that campaign funds can be used any way you please and that nothing matters as long as you call witchunt?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, about what you expect...
A federal watchdog is accusing the Architect of the Capitol, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump, of ethics violations over an offer to provide tours to “patriots” weeks before the November 2020 election.

“The OIG identified a significant amount of administrative, ethical and policy violations as well as evidence of criminal violations throughout the investigation,” the report said. “Blanton’s actions have violated every pillar the OIG operates under including theft, fraud, waste and abuse against not only the AOC but also the taxpayer,” the report continued, referring to the acronym for the Architect of the Capitol.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:55 pm Yeah, about what you expect...
A federal watchdog is accusing the Architect of the Capitol, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump, of ethics violations over an offer to provide tours to “patriots” weeks before the November 2020 election.

“The OIG identified a significant amount of administrative, ethical and policy violations as well as evidence of criminal violations throughout the investigation,” the report said. “Blanton’s actions have violated every pillar the OIG operates under including theft, fraud, waste and abuse against not only the AOC but also the taxpayer,” the report continued, referring to the acronym for the Architect of the Capitol.
On the plus side, we know where AOC should be appointed when she moves on from the House.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

A two-time loser! He was previously convicted of campaign finance violations in 2016 for a 2012 incident while working Rand Paul's presidential campaign.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Saw that…and immediately remembered questioning why Paul was bending over backwards to support Russia not long ago.

The Justice Department touted the jury conviction of Jesse Benton, known for his work on campaigns for GOP Sens. Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, in a press release Thursday. The department said Benton “acted as a straw donor and contributed $25,000 of the Russian foreign national’s money to the campaign, falsely identified himself as the contributor and pocketed the remaining $75,000.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yeah, but is his laptop REAL?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A state House candidate in South Dakota was arrested on a rape charge just days after he lost his race against the incumbent — his mother.

Bud Marty May, 37, was arrested in Box Elder around 4 a.m. Sunday and charged with second-degree rape, court filings said. The criminal complaint alleges May used "force, coercion, or threats of immediate and great bodily injury" against the victim.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna57590