Those Lightbulbs again

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Malificent

Re: Those Lightbulbs again

Post by Malificent »

Because it's easier to destroy than build.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

GE, the company Thomas Edison founded, is getting out of the lightbulb business.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:48 am Government by vindictive.

Trump: Is there anything else Obama did that we can undo?

Staffer: Um, he got rid of incandescent light bulbs, but that was good for the environment.

Trump: Bring 'em back!
Biden: Get rid of 'em!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Lol. This wasn't going to happen anyway but more importantly a true demonstration of the policy stability of the modern United States!
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I Did switch when florescent bulbs came out. Now I have been switching over as they go dead to LED. They have improved from when they first came out and they have better options for different type of fixtures. The price has come down.

I hate the fake advertising on LEDs long life. Like saying it will last 10 + years. They come out with that by saying you only have your lights on for 3 hours a day. My lights go on at 5-to 7 depending on the time of year. They are on till 12.

Why is the warranty 3 years if they will last 10 years?
One thing I have been doing is writing the month and year on the lights as I replace them.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LEDs totally could last 10+ years. It always comes down to individual use cases around temperature, typical usage, power quality, etc. In any case, lifespan wise a CFL and LED are essentially almost equal cost at $ per hour of use. To be completely accurate LED has a slight edge on cost per hour when you factor in the electricity but its slight so I personally don't worry about it anymore. I just use the LEDs for both convenience and think they have better light quality.
stessier

Post by stessier »

UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:54 am I Did switch when florescent bulbs came out. Now I have been switching over as they go dead to LED. They have improved from when they first came out and they have better options for different type of fixtures. The price has come down.

I hate the fake advertising on LEDs long life. Like saying it will last 10 + years. They come out with that by saying you only have your lights on for 3 hours a day. My lights go on at 5-to 7 depending on the time of year. They are on till 12.

Why is the warranty 3 years if they will last 10 years?
One thing I have been doing is writing the month and year on the lights as I replace them.
As you said, the 10 year estimate is based on 3 hours of use/day. My bet is they have data they the bulbs will last at least 3 years if they are used 24/7 - thus the warranty terms.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I switched over to LED bulbs completely about ten years ago. In that time I have had to replace only one bulb, and that is on a lamp that eats light bulbs thanks to my cat always bumping into it. :mrgreen:
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

LED bulbs are affected by power surges. A power surge can knock them out or lower their lifespan. Plus they are made cheaply and sometimes will just fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:54 am Why is the warranty 3 years if they will last 10 years?
Mine never make it three years. Where is this warranty thing?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:56 am
UsulofDoom wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:54 am Why is the warranty 3 years if they will last 10 years?
Yes, but you also have the power setup consisting of a series of hamsters on wheels of various materials at your home, no?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:22 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:56 am
Yes, but you also have the power setup consisting of a series of hamsters on wheels of various materials at your home, no?
Sure does seem like it and very old wheels to boot. Add to that DTE "volunteered" to discount my costs due to so many outages last year. I do know that before I go BEV, I will need to have electric of my house brought up to code and fed with a lot more power. I have a good southern exposure, though, so when new roof time comes, I may look into going broke with roof/solar panels/new electric for the home. Then we'd have to figure out how to pay for the BEV after.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just had my first (and coincidentally, my first EVER acquired) CFL bulb die a natural death. it started flickering, which went on for about 45 seconds, then it faded into a dark red glow, then died. it's emitting a burnt electronics smell, and i see part of the base around one end of the bulb melted a bit with scorch marks on the base.

15 years exactly, this one lasted.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Impressive life, but a little bit of an alarming death throw, wouldn’t you agree ?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sounds like a sun becoming a red giant then a white dwarf.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:47 am Sounds like a sun becoming a red giant then a white dwarf.
Is the lightbulb now much heavier? :)

Ive had them die a couple times in 15 years. One I saw had flames coming out from that bulb meets base area. I guess the seals there dry out of time allowing the gas to escape or leak.

At least its not as bad as old bulbs when you'd go to take them out and the glass breaks off even at the metal part. They ya gotta make sure the socket is off and use something to get it out. Usually I stuck pliers inside the metal base and opened them against it and twisted.

then again the flames in the cfl were pretty bad.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:26 am One I saw had flames coming out from that bulb meets base area. I guess the seals there dry out of time allowing the gas to escape or leak.
this sounds kinda like what happened
Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:55 am Impressive life, but a little bit of an alarming death throw, wouldn’t you agree ?
yeah, not ideal. especially not ideal is i had placed the CFL bulb on a desk to cool off and immediately after i left the room it rolled off and fell to the ground and shattered, creating an instant toxic hazard. it took 40 minutes to clean that up - airing out the room for the mercury vapors, using a piece of paperboard to scoop up the glass shards into a sealable bag, using multiple pieces of packing tape on the rug to pick up all the fragments, taking the bag outside, vacuuming the area, dumping the vacuum canister outside, cleaning the vacuum canister with soap and water...

the replacement lamp bulb is now an LED.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:26 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:47 am Sounds like a sun becoming a red giant then a white dwarf.
Usually I stuck pliers inside the metal base and opened them against it and twisted.
Hopefully making sure the breaker to that circuit is turned off or the fuse is removed. I've seen where someone recommend using a potato to jab into the remains and then turn the remains out of the light socket still after the breaker is turned off or the fuse is removed of course. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... rLOP8Ak_40

Don't eat the potato afterwards in case of glass shards in the potato.

I just replaced an eight month old LED, but then it was from "Dollar & Quarter Tree"
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

End of the road for incandescents?
As of Aug. 1, the Energy Department will fully enforce new efficiency regulations that the old bulbs can’t meet, effectively prohibiting their retail sale.

“This is the end of the road for most incandescent bulbs,” said Andrew deLaski, executive director of the Appliance Standards Awareness Project, a group that supports energy efficiency standards.
Fighting over lightbulbs seems so quaint now.
Last edited by Exodor on Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exodor wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:00 pm End of the road for incandescents?
As of Aug. 1, the Energy Department will fully enforce new efficiency regulations that the old bulbs can’t meet, effectively prohibiting their retail sale.

“This is the end of the road for most incandescent bulbs,” said Andrew deLaski, executive director of the Appliance Standards Awareness Project, a group that supports energy efficiency standards.
What will become of all of the Easy Bake Ovens and lava lamps?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

And wax scent'ers.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Most of those specialty bulbs are still available. As are heat bulbs up to 250 watts and all the little halogen bulbs are still for sale because they can’t replicate those in led form yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I can't even spell incad.......incanl...........encandecent, oh, never mind.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's OK. I still don't know how to spell the other kind... Eleedee?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:28 pm That's OK. I still don't know how to spell the other kind... Eleedee?
Must have been in another thread, but Malchior refered to them as "led lights". It took my brain about three seconds to process that he did not, in fact, intend to be referring to lead lights of the heavy metal sense.

[edit:] Sorry, I meant malchior.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra