Eduardo's living rolemodel - savior of the people
15%
Future member of the axis of evil
12%

Total votes: 52

Montag

Venezuela's Hugo Chavez

Post by Montag »

What do you think of Hugo Chavez? I threw out the Eduardo hook, because I really want his opinion on this. I think Chavez nuts and is causing a lot grief for the region. Venezuela's certainly has had and still has corruption, but I dont think this "benevolent" dictator is the answer.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm sorry, I really don't have much to add but if you're looking for EdX just say, "The nation of Comumbia."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

He's got Halloween on the run.
Popehat, a blog.
docvego

Post by docvego »

My Mom's sister's best friend's cousin's 3rd wife's gardener said they have WMDs!
Rip

Post by Rip »

docvego wrote:My Mom's sister's best friend's cousin's 3rd wife's gardener said they have WMDs!
My wife says you should send me down to see. Back in school I always found Venezuela on the globe in geography. I also had a year of Spanish!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He always reminds me of the whack job dictator in woody allen's "Bananas".

"Everyone under the age of 17 is NOW 17!"

"All underwear shall be worn on the OUTSIDE of clothes!"
He won. Period.
jblank

Post by jblank »

Yeah, he's a loon, but he did help us out right after Katrina, so I give him props for that.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
Kiam

Post by Kiam »

Precarity is a beautiful thing...
Montag

Post by Montag »

I wanted to resurrect this poll and see how people's opinions have changed. I think I voted mostly harmless. Now I would struggle between whack job or new axis of evil. I would likely go with whack job.

I hope that some Venezuelan paratrooper decides to try to save the nation and have a coup real soon.
words
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Chavez is a mixed bag. He is certainly authoritarian and veering towards the hard left, and is using anti-Americanism as a tool to further his own power. On the other hand, there are excellent reasons to be anti-American in that part of the world, and the incompetence of the Bush administration (botched coups and all) has only deepened his hold on the country. He also seems to be taking real steps to improve the lives of the poor majority of Venezuelans. It’s the decades of exploitation and indifference that make it possible for these kinds of people to take power, just as they did in Cuba.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The Mad Hatter wrote:Chavez is a mixed bag. He is certainly authoritarian and veering towards the hard left, and is using anti-Americanism as a tool to further his own power. On the other hand, there are excellent reasons to be anti-American in that part of the world, and the incompetence of the Bush administration (botched coups and all) has only deepened his hold on the country. He also seems to be taking real steps to improve the lives of the poor majority of Venezuelans. It’s the decades of exploitation and indifference that make it possible for these kinds of people to take power, just as they did in Cuba.
Venezuela had the oldest democracy in South America. If there are recent decades of exploitation and indifference, it's of their own doing.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Could you clarify: "Mostly harmless"? To whom? Venezuela, US or rest of the world?

I say mostly harmless to us. Lots of angry anti-American rhetoric so he can get national and regional support from the lower classes, but I have always had the sense he is doing it for own self interest, and not as he claims, for the people.

VERY harmful to Venezuela imo, esp. if he continues on the way he has been. Country is a complete freaking mess right now.

OTOH, he's got his own cereal (with his image plastered on the box), so he can't be THAT bad, can he? (Dang, I wish I could find that image, but alas my Google-fu is weak.)
The Divider

Post by The Divider »

When do we break out the Monroe Doctrine?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Could you clarify: "Mostly harmless"? To whom? Venezuela, US or rest of the world?

I say mostly harmless to us.
Do you feel that the domestic economy can't be considered harm to the US?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

The Divider wrote:When do we break out the Monroe Doctrine?
It's a matter of time, but we'll use clients.
Owner: 4OTP Pittsburgh Pirates
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The Divider wrote:When do we break out the Monroe Doctrine?
When a non-American power is involved :)