The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by YellowKing »

It's interesting watching the Republicans bend over backwards to explain why they shouldn't present evidence that, if their client is innocent, should easily exonerate him.

Watching the President's lawyers, you get the feeling that they don't even believe the bullshit they are spewing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote: Watching the President's lawyers, you get the feeling that they don't even believe the bullshit they are spewing.
No one smarter than a door mat believes the bullshit. It's all either those in on the scam or those whose identity is tied to MAGA so much that they don't think rationally.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I do like the Democratic strategy of forcing the GOP to vote down subpoena after subpoena, one by one. Put them on the record, because the truth WILL come out eventually.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Schiff's entire strategy today was smart. If you are afraid that they'll get rid of the camera's make your case now. If you want to show it is a sham, then make them own it. I just don't know if enough are paying attention or care about what is going on. We'll see in 9 months because the Republicans have bet the farm on it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why even bother with this Senate sham when they refuse to even look at the evidence? Put all the GOP in prison.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm Today is a good day to call your senators, and maybe a few others.

It's very easy: (202) 224-3121 gets you to an automated menu and then to their voicemail. You can do it in under a minute.
Not a senator but sat down with my congressman tonight. Interesting discussion.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meaningwhile in GOP land - Schumer is creating a toxic environment in the Senate. Graham is taking arguments out of context. We're deep into a post-truth world now.

malchior

Post by malchior »

A cringe worthy moment. A sound bite for the ages. He was triggered by Nadler and the President's counsel sparring but citing #pettifogging to admonish both sides? Robert's legacy is going to be...complicated at best.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He really is a moron

Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sort of. He shouldn't say the quiet parts out loud, but it hasn't hurt him before, and he can reasonably expect it not to hurt him this time (thanks to the assistance of Mitch McConnell and other GOP leaders). So....it's not really that stupid at this point.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:19 am Sort of. He shouldn't say the quiet parts out loud, but it hasn't hurt him before, and he can reasonably expect it not to hurt him this time (thanks to the assistance of Mitch McConnell and other GOP leaders). So....it's not really that stupid at this point.
He means what he says and you have to understand what he says versus what he says. If you were a real American and not partisan you'd understand that this he is saying that the Democrats are only giving you half the story. The don't even have the full story, which he released in the transcript. The full story is protected by executive privilege. He would love to give it to you, but national security. There has never been more of a WITCH HUNT in history against that most popular president ever making PERFECT phone calls.

(Also I hate this about myself, but I'm glad he sounds beat down and exhausted there)
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:31 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:19 am Sort of. He shouldn't say the quiet parts out loud, but it hasn't hurt him before, and he can reasonably expect it not to hurt him this time (thanks to the assistance of Mitch McConnell and other GOP leaders). So....it's not really that stupid at this point.
He means what he says and you have to understand what he says versus what he says. If you were a real American and not partisan you'd understand that this he is saying that the Democrats are only giving you half the story. The don't even have the full story, which he released in the transcript*. The full story is protected by executive privilege. He would love to give it to you, but national security. There has never been more of a WITCH HUNT in history against that most popular president ever making PERFECT phone calls.

(Also I hate this about myself, but I'm glad he sounds beat down and exhausted there)
*Summary
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*Summary of the memory of the transcript
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Transcript. Even our legal counsel call it transcript. A PERFECT call. I didn't have to release it. But I did. You don't even KNOW what other information I have.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:16 amHe really is a moron
I wish I could be surprised.

This seems to be the new normal.
Killer: "They'll never catch me! I hid the gun!"
Cops: "We think we've got enough to nail you to the wall."
Court: "Hey, he said he hid the gun. You can't keep him. Let him go."
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:36 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:16 amHe really is a moron
I wish I could be surprised.

This seems to be the new normal.
Killer: "They'll never catch me! I hid the gun!"
Cops: "We think we've got enough to nail you to the wall."
Court: "Hey, he said he hid the gun. You can't keep him. Let him go."
We've been heading that way for a while. Trump just accelerated things.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not surprising, but Leader McConnell is the cancer to American Democracy. He’s literally in bed with the Trump Administration. His wife is the Trump Transportation Secretary funneling tens of millions into Kentucky and under investigation by the House.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:12 pm Not surprising, but Leader McConnell is the cancer to American Democracy. He’s literally in bed with the Trump Administration. His wife is the Trump Transportation Secretary funneling tens of millions into Kentucky and under investigation by the House.
But how are her family affected by the Tariff war? (That's actually a real question and not meant to be read with scathing sarcasm I can't help but hear when I type it. I have been wondering that for quite a while.)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Hilarious to listen to the talking heads keep saying how exhausted the poor Senators are having to sit and listen to each other talk. Now they know how we feel..... NO PHONES!!!!! OMG!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nothing to see here, just a dozen or so GOP Senators walking out while Schiff is delivering evidence.
One suspects that Republicans fled the chamber because they didn’t want to hear Rep. Schiff presenting the evidence against Trump. Republican Senators have played dumb about Trump’s statements and behavior for years, and they can’t handle hearing the truth about their law-breaking president.
WTF???
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Mistrial!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:13 pm Nothing to see here, just a dozen or so GOP Senators walking out while Schiff is delivering evidence.
One suspects that Republicans fled the chamber because they didn’t want to hear Rep. Schiff presenting the evidence against Trump. Republican Senators have played dumb about Trump’s statements and behavior for years, and they can’t handle hearing the truth about their law-breaking president.
WTF???
I'm sure Roberts will admonish both sides.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I suppose that, unlike a real trial, there's no way to dismiss jurors who are neglecting their duties?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:13 pm Nothing to see here, just a dozen or so GOP Senators walking out while Schiff is delivering evidence.
WTF???
I would think it's more a stunt to let them say to media outlets that they left because Schiff was delivering a partisan rant, and then get a non-trivial number of media outlets to report the day's story as "Republicans and Democrats traded accusations of partisanship in connection with the impeachment trial" rather than having the outlets report on the content of Schiff's remarks.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:24 pm I suppose that, unlike a real trial, there's no way to dismiss jurors who are neglecting their duties?
Only in November
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I personally plan to cast my vote to dismiss Collins so hard that it seizes up the voting booth when I'm done.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

They are evil.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. It's all about winning and if you can't win, you plot revenge. As frightening as the sentiment is, it's highly relatable so in summary we're all doomed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:47 pm Yup. It's all about winning and if you can't win, you plot revenge. As frightening as the sentiment is, it's highly relatable so in summary we're all doomed.
Fucked. We're fucked.

*gets out drum yet again, starts beating it*
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's our turn to eat.

I should probably read this at some point.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm They are evil.

I know what it means, but that statement caught me off guard. A pen of reporters? Is that like a flock of geese, or a murder of crows? A herd of cows, or a shoal of fish (or school, either way)?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm They are evil.

I know what it means, but that statement caught me off guard. A pen of reporters? Is that like a flock of geese, or a murder of crows? A herd of cows, or a shoal of fish (or school, either way)?
The "press pen" is a thing in political contexts. At rallies, the TV cameras and reporters are often separated into a special area where they can't interfere/mingle with the regular audience during the event. (They can do so before and after normally.)

The presence of a media pen in the Capitol building is actually pretty gross. While not allowed to freely mingle on the Senate or House floors, reporters have almost always had the right to roam the halls and try to speak with congresspeople there. McConnell's rules have prevented even that for the impeachment hearings so that GOP senators can avoid questions or media encounters.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Remember when the Chief Justice told everybody that there was no fighting in the war room?

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I keep hearing the repeated argument from the withered Cheeto's team "Abuse of power is not an impeachable offense" but at no point do I hear anyone saying "Power was never abused"

So they're basically saying "Yeah, it's wrong, but it's not illegal - so screw off"

The second thing that just blows my mind is all the people on the GOP side - like Graham and Romney - who used to scream about how unfit Drumpf was for office are now on their hands and knees, willing participants in the Human Centipede that the man is leading.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:29 am
In case people wanted proof over how petty he is, just look at #1 Trump parasite Matt Gaetz being snubbed. That was just a vote against war power. Imagine what he's going to do to GOP senators, indeed. But yeah, intimidating the people voting for you? Totally normal and acceptable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why doesn't half the country see how guilty Trump and the GOP are when they refuse to view evidence and witnesses? If it was all kosher they'd do their jobs and be thorough about it then find guilty or not. Instead they do their best to see no evil hear no evil. They speak too much evil to avoid that one.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm Why doesn't half the country see how guilty Trump and the GOP are when they refuse to view evidence and witnesses?
Cognitive Dissonance. They've built their identities and culture around "we're good, they're bad." If they admit that their guy is bad, everything falls about, so they willfully blind themselves to the painful parts of reality. Combine that with the echo chamber of conservative media that ensures that they only see a version of the events that doesn't make him sound guilty, and it isn't surprising at all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)