The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by malchior »

Turley = another GOP hypocrite. Not that any of this will matter anyway.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Dana Bash and Jake Tapper essentially just called out Nadler's lack of 'agility'. Vis a vis he isn't taking obvious opportunities. Bash actually said this might be the reason that the previous hearings were in another committee. Ouch.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is there any member of Congress more punchable than Matt Gaetz?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:51 pm Is there any member of Congress more punchable than Matt Gaetz?
You mean that hasn't been punched yet?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

OMG. This is McCarthy HUAC stuff.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

They should have asked him who he voted for and then claim political bias. It has to work both ways, right?
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Republican arguments today were breathtakingly stupid. Like this one where the witnesses are being pilloried for not having first hand knowledge of the facts. I was stunned by how stupid it was followed by the complaint that there are no first hand fact witnesses. You don't think you can be surprised at the idiocy but it gets worse every day.

These are elected leaders of this nation. We have fallen into the darkest abyss possible and many people will buy these ridiculous arguments. It is incredibly hard not to be cynical about the future.

Edit: As a side note I find it interesting how every Republican post has an amazing amount of likes in short periods of time. The Russians are working overtime for these guys for sure.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's infuriating to watch the Republicans out to paint this as a partisan hit job. Project much?

I wanted ONE TIME today someone to ask Turley to explain how a perjury statement about a blowjob warranted impeachment but asking a foreign country to interfere in US elections is not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If they could get Trump onto a stand for just 10 minutes, they'd have their own perjury charge to add to everything else. But the soulless GOP KNOWS that Trump is a pathological liar and so they'll fight it tooth and nail. That tells me all I need to know about the integrity of today's Republican Party.

...it has none.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

When Trump is acquitted in the Senate, prepare for a scorched earth no-holds-barred attack on the Democratic frontrunner like you've never seen. Trump will feel (and be) invincible, and there will be absolutely no downside to soliciting every foreign adversary in the world to campaign, dig up dirt, and meddle on his behalf.

The 2020 election will absolutely be rigged in his favor on multiple levels. October surprise? Plan for a surprise every month, whether it's true or not.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:27 pm They should have asked him who he voted for and then claim political bias. It has to work both ways, right?
This is the stupidity of the Republicans. Based upon this, every Republican congressman should recuse his or her self assuming they voted for Trump. The given assumption if that professionals cannot put aside any personal bias in rendering expert testimony. Maybe they don't realize that everyone isn't as corrupt as they are.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:20 pm When Trump is acquitted in the Senate, prepare for a scorched earth no-holds-barred attack on the Democratic frontrunner like you've never seen. Trump will feel (and be) invincible, and there will be absolutely no downside to soliciting every foreign adversary in the world to campaign, digmake up dirt in exchange for favors, and meddle on his behalf.

The 2020 election will absolutely be rigged in his favor on multiple levels. October surprise? Plan for a surprise every month, whether it's true or not.
FTFY

For those thinking we are not headed towards autocracy look no further than Moscow Mitch enabling tRump.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:49 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:27 pm They should have asked him who he voted for and then claim political bias. It has to work both ways, right?
This is the stupidity of the Republicans. Based upon this, every Republican congressman should recuse his or her self assuming they voted for Trump. The given assumption if that professionals cannot put aside any personal bias in rendering expert testimony. Maybe they don't realize that everyone isn't as corrupt as they are.
Yeah, but on Fox the clip will be a perfect illustration of how ALL TEH ELITES hate Trump and America.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Remus West wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:52 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:20 pm When Trump is acquitted in the Senate, prepare for a scorched earth no-holds-barred attack on the Democratic frontrunner like you've never seen. Trump will feel (and be) invincible, and there will be absolutely no downside to soliciting every foreign adversary in the world and corrupting domestic agencies to campaign, digmake up dirt in exchange for favors, and meddle on his behalf.

FTFY

For those thinking we are not headed towards autocracy look no further than Moscow Mitch enabling tRump.
FTFY
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm sure people have seen the "Barron not a baron" controversy.

To wit, in yesterday's testimony Prof. Kaplan said "Trump can name his son Barron, but he can't make him a baron." That's it.

It was a very lame joke, but right-wingers have spent all day treating it like a vile personal insult to Barron Trump that proves Kaplan's and all liberals' moral depravity. The performative outrage has to be seen to be believed.

Even Melania emerged from her sinister Christmas Palace to tweet her pain and outrage. Presumably she cares a great deal about the feelings of young people who aren't being victimized by her husband.
Last edited by Holman on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:51 pm Is there any member of Congress more punchable than Matt Gaetz?
MoscowMitch

Though historical evidence suggests it's Rand Paul ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm I'm sure people have seen the "Barron not a baron" controversy.
Karlan even apologized during the hearing. It isn't genuine much like every other outrage the right yells about. They complain because they know it'll get headlines. And it reinforces the bubble these people on the right live in. I rate this at a tan suit level of outrage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm Even Melania emerged from her sinister Christmas Palace to tweet her pain and outrage. Presumably she cares a great deal about the feelings of young people who aren't being victimized by her husband.
Newsweek: Melania Says Children Should Be Kept Out Of Politics, Twitter Reminds Her Of All The Kids Her Husband Caged
Similarly, thousands of people tweeted using the #FakeOutrage hashtag, noting that the First Lady did not comment about President Trump verbally attacking 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm Even Melania emerged from her sinister Christmas Palace...
:lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nunes' new story is he got a call from Parnas' wife...he forgot that the record also...shows that Nunes called Parnas. He is claiming they called out of nowhere and he sent them to staff. He talked to Parnas for 9 minutes while a ton of other phone calls were happening between all these guys on 12-April. The dude is trying to escape but he is in the trap.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Nunes' new story is he got a call from Parnas' wife's number. He seems to have forgot that the record also shows that Nunes called Parnas. He is claiming Parnas ' wife called out of nowhere and he sent them to staff. Back in fact land he talked to Parnas for almost 9 minutes while a ton of other phone calls were happening between all these guys on 12-April. The dude is trying to escape but he is in the trap. He is furiously trying to spin when every lawyer in the land is probably yelling 'Shut the f up you moron' at the screen.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

His story would change if he were put under oath.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nunes showing some serious backbone here....

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:00 pm His story would change if he were put under oath.
Why do you think that?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If you haven't watched this morning...the hearing today is the most infantile yet. A "protestor" from InfoWars got tossed out for interrupting the hearing. Gaetz had a meltdown over hearing rules and walked out of the hearing. Everyone else on the GOP side has been saying amazingly dishonest lies to manufacture sound bites to keep the Foxnews bubble fed. It is a complete disgrace.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:00 pm His story would change if he were put under oath.
Why do you think that?
Because I think he's lying. Just pretend that there are recordings and he'll fold.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It's almost certain that Nunes is lying. I think (?) what El Guapo is suggesting is that he is doubtful that Nunes will tell the truth if under oath.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:31 am
El Guapo wrote:
Why do you think that?
Because I think he's lying. Just pretend that there are recordings and he'll fold.
I would fully expect Nunes to lie under oath. Well, first he would throw up as many procedural / litigious obstacles as he could, such that it would be unlikely that he'd be testifying before 2021, but if and when he's actually forced to testify I think he would probably lie. First, he's probably already balls deep (to use a legal term) in potentially criminal conduct, and second, he could pretty comfortably rely on a Trump pardon.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Exactly. He's in too deep at this point to suddenly follow legal expectations. And why should he? To date there have been little to no immediate consequences for this behavior. Sure, eventually a Cohen or a Stone or a Manafort end up behind bars, but why cooperate now when there's still so much crime to do for the GOP?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The GOP members just put up a poster featuring Schiff's face on a milk carton. They're apparently miffed that he won't be attending the proceedings today.

It's amazing to me how much Trump has molded the GOP into his own image in such a short time. I honestly thought there would have been some kickback against going full on dishonest, substituting showmanship for integrity. But that's not the case. They've apparently embraced Emperor Orange-intine's blatant disregard for honesty and decorum. McCain was probably the last one that stood in the way of this happening. Without him, the GOP had no backbone or reason to resist.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:31 pm The GOP members just put up a poster featuring Schiff's face on a milk carton. They're apparently miffed that he won't be attending the proceedings today.

It's amazing to me how much Trump has molded the GOP into his own image in such a short time. I honestly thought there would have been some kickback against going full on dishonest, substituting showmanship for integrity. But that's not the case. They've apparently embraced Emperor Orange-intine's blatant disregard for honesty and decorum. McCain was probably the last one that stood in the way of this happening. Without him, the GOP had no backbone or reason to resist.
They've been doing things like that for every public impeachment hearing. It's something that is designed to appeal to their base. So yes their base thinks on a level lower than your local 7th and 8th grade cheer leading squad. It's a distraction meant to distract those who are easily distracted. In other words their base.
FTE
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We can't out the whistleblower yet, you we'll just drag Steele back through the mud:
Attorney General William P. Barr recently approved making public new details about a former F.B.I. informant at the heart of conservatives’ allegations about the Russia investigation, deciding to release information that had been blacked out in a highly anticipated inspector general’s report due out on Monday.

A representative from the office of the Justice Department inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, told the former F.B.I. informant, Christopher Steele, on Sunday that the Justice Department had decided to allow for the release of the information, two people briefed on the situation said late on Sunday.

Mr. Steele was given no details about the information itself, nor was he told how it would affect the report’s portrayal of him, the people said.
The notice to Mr. Steele on the eve of the report’s release was highly unusual. Like the other witnesses interviewed for the inspector general’s report, Mr. Steele had earlier reviewed the findings that are pertinent to him, and he was given a chance to comment on them. In this case, Mr. Horowitz’s office did not detail for him the additional information and gave him no opportunity to respond for the report to be released on Monday.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Apparently the information about Steele is that he had a "relationship"* with Ivanka. :shock: Kind of blows out of the water the GOP talking point that Steele was trying to bring down the Trumps.

*Friendly, not necessarily (but not not necessarily) sexual.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait...what? Are you describing an episode of Dynasty? This stuff is rapidly turning into a CW series or something.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This Report Brought to You by the Letter I — “Infidelity.”
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Comey at WaPo
For two years, the president of the United States and his followers have loudly declared that the FBI acted unlawfully in conducting a counterintelligence investigation of Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential campaign.
On Monday, we learned from a report by the Justice Department’s inspector general, Michael Horowitz, that the allegation of a criminal conspiracy was nonsense. There was no illegal wiretapping, there were no informants inserted into the campaign, there was no “spying” on the Trump campaign.
The Russia investigation was complicated — not surprisingly, the inspector general found mistakes, 17 of them, things the FBI should have done differently, or better. That’s always unfortunate, but human beings make mistakes. Inspector-general reports are valuable because they offer the chance to learn. Horowitz also concluded that a low-level FBI lawyer doctored an email as part of the administrative process leading to the renewal of the application for electronic surveillance of the former campaign adviser. Although it is not clear what difference that made, it is still potentially serious wrongdoing and does not reflect the FBI culture of compliance and candor.

But most important, Horowitz’s report found that the investigation was opened and conducted under the rules, finding no “evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced [the] decision” to start it or how to run it. Those of us who knew that truth had to remain silent while a torrent of smears and falsehoods flowed from the White House, from some congressional committee chairmen, the attorney general and Fox News personalities. The FBI’s work was perceived as a threat to the president, and many Republicans apparently believe that all threats to Trump must be destroyed, no matter the cost to the nation.
Well, the wait is over, and those who smeared the FBI are due for an accounting. In particular, Attorney General William P. Barr owes the institution he leads, and the American people, an acknowledgment of the truth.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:36 pm Apparently the information about Steele is that he had a "relationship"* with Ivanka. :shock: Kind of blows out of the water the GOP talking point that Steele was trying to bring down the Trumps.

Are they going to try to sell Steele as like some kind of seductive spy who infiltrated Trump's inner circle to try to bring him down, or something?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

His last name is in the report over 2,500 times. Hers is not in there once.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:11 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:36 pm Apparently the information about Steele is that he had a "relationship"* with Ivanka. :shock: Kind of blows out of the water the GOP talking point that Steele was trying to bring down the Trumps.

Are they going to try to sell Steele as like some kind of seductive spy who infiltrated Trump's inner circle to try to bring him down, or something?
There's no telling what they'll try, but as far as I've heard the nature of the "relationship" is that Ivanka once almost hired him to do various kinds of background research for Trump organization business deals. I don't think there's any implication that the relationship was social, let alone sexual.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:16 pm His last name is in the report over 2,500 times. Hers is not in there once.
Actually, her last name is in the report quite a few times.

*BAM*