What coffee are you drinking right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pinstripe

What coffee are you drinking right now?

Post by pinstripe »

Hi all - Hopefully some fellow coffee fanatics on here, what coffee roasts and beans are you enjoying right now and what equipment are you using?
Jaymann

Re: What coffee are you drinking right now?

Post by Jaymann »

100% Colombian. Medium roast. Mr. Coffee.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pinstripe

Post by pinstripe »

Nicee, any particular brand? I'm trying a few sample packs at the moment from different companies
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Preference: whole bean Sumatran (or Costa Rican or a dark roast Guatemalan), ground in a burr grinder, brewed one cup at a time with an Aeropress.
Reality: whatever my spousal unit picks up at the grocery store (grocery stores here don't carry much whole bean anymore), still using the burr grinder when applicable, and still using the Aeropress.
I don't have preferred brands so much as brands I prefer to not get.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

By the way, although I don't know what Jayman drinks, he's probably just teasing you. Don't take offense.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

100% Columbian Folgers medium roast coffee. Black. 9am every morning. One coffee cup per day. My coffee maker is in the garage because of two reasons. One, my wife hates the smell of coffee. Two, since I now work from home it gives me a reason to get some steps in from the basement office to the garage.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Kava instant.

But why? Because its low acid, and thats supremely important for my tummy. A regular cup of joe will tear me up inside.

Enlarge Image
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:28 pm By the way, although I don't know what Jayman drinks, he's probably just teasing you. Don't take offense.
He was? That's pretty much me. Only I'd add Folger's to that. And ever worse. I really like my Folger's. The gourmets coffees always inevitably taste burnt or greasy (for lack of the right word to describe the flavor) and I find myself putting in too much sugar and creme and still don't enjoy flavor. Oddly enough, I put twice as much grounds as I should in my maker to get the Folger's to taste strong enough.

I'll drink other coffees but my coffee is about a heaping 1/4 cup of Folger's grounds to 4 cups of water in a Mr Coffee maker. Lightly sugared and lightly non dairy creamed (which is really just a different form of lightly sugared)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

https://burmancoffee.com/product/coffee ... blue-moon/

I roasted it on Saturday to City+ and made it in my Aeropress.

Have a couple cups left of a Colombian\Brazil blend I made a couple weeks ago.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Whatever is on sale when I go grocery shopping every week. This week it's Caribou Breakfast Blend.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:28 pm By the way, although I don't know what Jayman drinks, he's probably just teasing you. Don't take offense.
Actually I decided to change it up with a straight answer. And the brand is Bezos.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Peete Sumatra
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Costco/Kirkland Guatamalan Medium Roast. Usually get the Colombian Medium, but they've been out lately. Also had a nice Medium Dark Roast (Black Oak Two Mile) from Costco. I don't care for French/Dark Roasts, like the Mediums better.

Burr Grinder daily, Cuisinart Coffee Maker
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My wife is a Java Momma reseller so that’s the brand we have in the house.

My favorite is the Amaretto while hers is Banana

They’ve been experiencing some issues with shipping lately so our subscription order of Amaretto hasn’t shown up yet which means I’m drinking a mix of the banana and salted caramel which is actually quite good
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Bad Demographic

Alefroth wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 pm https://burmancoffee.com/product/coffee ... blue-moon/

I tried roasting coffee a couple of times and liked it - but I'm just too lazy to do that anymore.

The dark roast Guatamalan that I had was from the St. Paul farmer's market. The seller's family grew the beans and shipped them to him. He would roast them. They were pretty fresh and although I haven't had them in over six years I remember thinking they made a really good cup.

Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Cameron's Highlander Grog, ground at the store (I don't have a grinder), then using an aeropress. Cheap milk frother and Chocolate Coconut Macaroon syrup from Jordan's skinny syrups. If I feel lazy (which is often) it's Camerons Buttered Rum pods in a keurig, half a cup of milk, and the Jordans syrup.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
pinstripe

Post by pinstripe »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 pm https://burmancoffee.com/product/coffee ... blue-moon/

Wow you roast yourself? How does it compare to shop bought? I'm using https://runnerbeancoffee.co.uk/ at the moment as recommended by a friend who uses it as pre-workout due to the caffeine content. Never tried roasting my own beans, would like to give it a shot one day
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:04 pm

I tried roasting coffee a couple of times and liked it - but I'm just too lazy to do that anymore.

The dark roast Guatamalan that I had was from the St. Paul farmer's market. The seller's family grew the beans and shipped them to him. He would roast them. They were pretty fresh and although I haven't had them in over six years I remember thinking they made a really good cup.

There are (or were in the before times) a few places around here that would fresh roast for you or will let you take the beans home un-roasted if that's your thing.. I'd never want to do that. There were all kinds of nuances on time and temperature. I think the appeal beyond, you know, fresh roasted coffee, is they have a wall of about 20 different bean types, so you can blend them and if you are so inclined, you can ask to change the temp by a degree or two, or the time by a few seconds during any phase of the roast, which changes the flavor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:16 pm Whatever is on sale when I go grocery shopping every week. This week it's Caribou Breakfast Blend.
Mostly true for me, too, although if multiple brands are on sale I don't necessarily buy the cheapest one. I've grown rather fond of Lavazza after getting some free samples, and it's often on sale, but I'll go for Gevalia or Peet's without prejudice. Major Dickison's Blend is pretty tasty.

Last week I bought EOC, which is Eight O'clock Coffee trying to be edgy and upscale. It's not. I also bought some Folgers 1850 because I needed a new can. (I dump bagged coffee into a can for convenience and to keep it a wee bit fresher.)

I use a Cuisinart drip machine that Wife bought me after I grew tired of replacing cheap Mr Coffees every few years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We drink the "Balzac Blend" from a local roaster, named for the French writer said to have drunk 40 cups of coffee a day.

It's a mix of Mocha Java and French Roast beans. We grind it fresh but then subject it to a drip machine that probably doesn't do it justice.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Home roasters can be an annoying bunch but I guess that's true with any hobby that people take seriously.

Brief roasting notes of my last batch:

Guatemala Xinabajul La Libertad Lot 1
Recommended City to FC+ (and beyond)
1st roast – 4 oz. beans
20 minute cycle, started cooling manually right when it switched at 12 minutes. 1st crack was very quiet and not very vigorous but this is a pretty old batch of beans.

2nd roast – 4 oz. beans
20 minute cycle, started cooling manually at 10 minutes 30 seconds.

I like to do two or more separate roast levels of the same beans and then mix the beans together. I call it a mongrel roast.

As far as brewing, 19.6 grams of beans in a burr grinder at a medium grind gets 12 oz. of 200F water in a pour over with a gold filter. Yes I mix metric weight with Imperial volume measurements because I can't wrap my head around metric volume. I fully understand metric weight though :ninja: ...

My goal is to complete the pour over in 1 minute 45 seconds, never taking longer than 2 minutes.

And I vastly prefer reusable filters over paper because paper traps all the delicious oils from the beans. My cups always have a slick of oil floating on the top.

Never any additions to the cup because I work very hard to get a very specific flavor profile through the roasting scheme. I don't care if you add sugar or milk to a cup I brew for you as long as you AT LEAST TRY IT BLACK FIRST. Nobody ever adds sugar or milk though. They become convinced.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 pm We drink the "Balzac Blend" from a local roaster, named for the French writer said to have drunk 40 cups of coffee a day.

It's a mix of Mocha Java and French Roast beans. We grind it fresh but then subject it to a drip machine that probably doesn't do it justice.
Holman, please don't think I'm picking on you because I really do believe a person should consume what brings them joy...BUT (and this is a Big Butt) I have to use this post to illustrate how to be an annoying Home Roaster.

The description of that coffee is terrible. Mocha is a bean variety. Java is a bean variety. They make a famous old-school blend. But then French Roast is a degree of roast. So is it three types of beans? Or the classic blend of the two roasted to the level of French?

Customers deserve better information.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Image Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 pm We drink the "Balzac Blend" from a local roaster, named for the French writer said to have drunk 40 cups of coffee a day.

Holman, please don't think I'm picking on you because I really do believe a person should consume what brings them joy...BUT (and this is a Big Butt) I have to use this post to illustrate how to be an annoying Home Roaster.

The description of that coffee is terrible. Mocha is a bean variety. Java is a bean variety. They make a famous old-school blend. But then French Roast is a degree of roast. So is it three types of beans? Or the classic blend of the two roasted to the level of French?

Customers deserve better information.
No offense taken!

I'm just remembering (possibly mis-) what the coffee lady told me the last time I bought the beans. There's probably more info available if I dig for it.

I believe it might be (and I'm just looking in the bag) a mix of lighter and darker roasts, as there are beans of two colors mixed together. maybe lighter Mocha and darker Java? Maybe vice-versa?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:34 pm Image
Goddammit another illustration of my point!

Why is it called "Arabian"!?

OK, Mocha is from Yemen so Arabian geographically but Java is Indonesian! How is that "Arabian"!?

Or...OR...do they mean "arabica" beans are what they use? Then say that. Use the proper terms-uh!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Eight O'Clock Hazelnut from a Keurig K-cup. We have a nice espresso machine, but I'm too lazy to fire it up.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm Image
C'mon man!

Do you believe in Big Coffee's Marketing Concepts From The Olde Days or Science?

Specifically...geography?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Watch Z-Corn’s brain unravel in front of us when he clicks on this link:
https://www.staples.com/java-roast-fre ... t_24323958

Also, while you hulk smash the thread after seeing that, please let us know your thoughts on “banana” coffee. :P

Finally: we must be seriously hard up for topics considering this thread seems to have been started by a spam bot. Or possibly a spam human, but I’m guessing the former.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:04 pm

It's a hobby for me as well as a way to provide myself with coffee, so I never mind it, even in the middle of winter. It does take about 45 minutes to do a pound though, so there is that. I could do two pounds in an hour if I did back to back roasts.

Central America and Indonesia vie for my favorite region.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:16 pm Whatever is on sale when I go grocery shopping every week. This week it's Caribou Breakfast Blend.
Mostly true for me, too, although if multiple brands are on sale I don't necessarily buy the cheapest one. I've grown rather fond of Lavazza after getting some free samples, and it's often on sale, but I'll go for Gevalia or Peet's without prejudice. Major Dickison's Blend is pretty tasty.

Last week I bought EOC, which is Eight O'clock Coffee trying to be edgy and upscale. It's not. I also bought some Folgers 1850 because I needed a new can. (I dump bagged coffee into a can for convenience and to keep it a wee bit fresher.)

I use a Cuisinart drip machine that Wife bought me after I grew tired of replacing cheap Mr Coffees every few years.
My wife sometimes has me save used coffee grounds for her plants. I imagine the Folgers would be good for that, without actually taking the trouble to use it first.

Peets has one of the highest list prices of grocery store coffee, so when it's on sale I'll get it even if another passable brand is on sale for less. Two Brothers has the most expensive in the stores, running $12 a bag and I've never seen it on sale for less than $11. I don't imagine I'll ever try their coffee, since when I go to their restaurants, I always have their beer.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

pinstripe wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm

Wow you roast yourself? How does it compare to shop bought? I'm using https://runnerbeancoffee.co.uk/ at the moment as recommended by a friend who uses it as pre-workout due to the caffeine content. Never tried roasting my own beans, would like to give it a shot one day
It stands up to a lot of the roasters around here and definitely outclasses any supermarket coffee. There is a vast selection of green beans to choose from and I can roast it to just the level I like it. It's cheaper than the boutique roasters, especially if you buy in bulk.

You can get good, consistent results on something as simple as a popcorn popper.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:34 pm Image
When you take it to French Roast level, it doesn't really matter what the beans are.
Last edited by Alefroth on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mostly I drink medium or light roasts. Light roasts have a little more acidity and more nuanced flavor but aren't as plentiful outside of various blends.
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Equipment-wise, up until early last year, I used a Breville Smart Grinder Pro along with the Behmore Brazen Plus (version 1). However, during the pandemic I started itching to experiment a bit more. So I went down the coffee rabbit hole and quickly got scared with just how crazy-expensive the equipment can get. So, I pulled back a bit, ok a lot, and picked up a Baratza Virtuoso+, a good variable temp gooseneck kettle, an Aeropress and a V60.

As for beans, I routinely sample from local roasters but haven't been too thrilled with any yet. I regularly buy from Counter Culture and Black & White Coffee Roasters, with my absolute favorite to date being the Idido from Counter Culture (when I can find it!)
-something witty-
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 pm Mostly I drink medium or light roasts. Light roasts have a little more acidity and more nuanced flavor but aren't as plentiful outside of various blends.
Tried any robusta?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 pm

My wife sometimes has me save used coffee grounds for her plants. I imagine the Folgers would be good for that, without actually taking the trouble to use it first.
I just wanted the can (or plastic jar, more accurately). It's a nice can that will last for years, it was only $4, and it came with free coffee.

Am I the only one who misses 16-oz pounds of coffee? I resisted when the industry went to 14-oz pounds. Since then they've gradually stepped down to 11.25 oz. (Trillian voice) and falling. If someone revived proper 16-oz pounds in proper vacuum-sealed cans, I'd gladly pay the per-pound price that they're disguising in 11.25-oz packages.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's why I order the 32 oz bags from Amazon. Sometimes I get the beans if I'm feeling the grind. I even bought a can of something I don't even like so I can keep refilling it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:45 pm
Finally: we must be seriously hard up for topics considering this thread seems to have been started by a spam bot. Or possibly a spam human, but I’m guessing the former.
I enjoy spam, specifically the peppercorn spam. but thats a tale for another thread.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.