When you're driving....drive.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: When you're driving....drive.

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepC, you know that life is cheap in the hinterlands.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, you whipped out the old "hepC" name. I thought that one was gone. :lol:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks like almost four years. It was a nice drought.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:12 pm I've repeatedly stated distractions of more than a few seconds, and I wholeheartedly believe that. If you're doing something that takes your eyes off the road for more than a few seconds, don't do it. If you're zoning out and not giving your full attention to the road for any reason, pull over and rest or do something that makes you alert. Roll down a window or something.

You can daydream while driving. No one is saying not to. However, doing so the point that you're "bleary eyed" sure sounds like inattentive to me. I don't want the driver behind a school bus full of children to be in a state of "vague general awareness".

I think perhaps I've talked you into a corner at this point. If so, I apologize. I stand by my comments that you should pay attention to the road. And that distracted driving is bad. But I will grant you that I may have inadvertently forced you into trying to defend something you didn't actually mean though.

However, if you are routinely in extended states of "vague general awareness" during long drives, I urge you to look at those moments and think "would I be able to stop on a dime if something happened?". If you can honestly say yes, then you're probably not as distracted as it sounds to me.
Stop on a dime? Nope. Stop on a quarter, sure. There is no doubt that my reactions would be slower compared to driving in an active area.

But as to what that means, I think we just disagree. You can't drive across Kansas and stay constantly alert. It isn't sleep or fresh air. It's the mental equivalent of staring at a white wall for an hour and being ready to react in a split second 45 minutes in. The human brain just doesn't work that way.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:38 pm
But as to what that means, I think we just disagree. You can't drive across Kansas and stay constantly alert. It isn't sleep or fresh air. It's the mental equivalent of staring at a white wall for an hour and being ready to react in a split second 45 minutes in. The human brain just doesn't work that way.
You should pay attention to the road. That is all I'm saying. I do think we're going in circles though. The conversation is now at the splitting hairs death spiral period.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All I'll say is that your definition of 'pay attention' doesn't seem to match what is reasonable within human limitations.

So, yeah. Death spiral.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I believe your definition of what's acceptable is not acceptable and is in fact dangerously unreasonable.

Death spiral!
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I propose a live-action Car Wars fight to resolve the issue.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm I propose a live-action Car Wars fight to resolve the issue.
No problem! There'd be something to keep us both focused.

Unless a song comes on I don't like.

(For the record, skip and play/pause are the only phone functions I use in the car. At most I might switch between Spotify and Audible, but I launch both before I leave the driveway so it is just a touch-swipe. About a second's time.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:05 pm I propose a live-action Car Wars fight to resolve the issue.
Gaslands!

Although it sounds like all I have to do is arrange for it to happen on his usual daily route. I'd easily best him as he apparently goes into a stupor at some point during that drive. :twisted:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 pm
Gaslands!
Not unless I can house rule an armored beer fridge.