Godzilla vs Kong [Movie] [NotJustHBOMax]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Godzilla vs Kong [Movie] [NotJustHBOMax]

Post by Zaxxon »

Since most of the discussion has already happened in this thread, I'll just continue with the pitch meeting in this brand-new post-release thread.

coopasonic

Re: Godzilla vs Kong [Movie] [NotJustHBOMax]

Post by coopasonic »

BTW I saw this Saturday and enjoyed it. Yeah it was dumb action with an even dumber plot, but the little girl was good and her mom wasn't totally dismissive like how most movie parents are presented.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:39 am BTW I saw this Saturday and enjoyed it. Yeah it was dumb action with an even dumber plot, but the little girl was good and her mom wasn't totally dismissive like how most movie parents are presented.
I actually enjoyed, it, as well. But the brain disengagement requirement is super high for this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved how the mother
Spoiler:
had no issue whatsoever with constantly putting her adopted daughter into dangerous situations. Giant Gorilla who could crush her by accident like a flea? Sure, here's a doll to protect you, honey! Setting up camp in the middle of Hollow Earth after your first encounter is with giant winged serpents who want to kill us? Sure, here's another doll, go wander around unsupervised, honey!
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:39 am BTW I saw this Saturday and enjoyed it. Yeah it was dumb action with an even dumber plot, but the little girl was good and her mom wasn't totally dismissive like how most movie parents are presented.
I actually enjoyed, it, as well. But the brain disengagement requirement is super high for this one.

I think it was Malchior who pointed out that the
Spoiler:
whole sea journey was completely unnecessary as they ended up flying him there in 12 minutes apparently. It's basically the Eagles flying to Mount Doom issue from Lord of the Rings.
Fun movie? Hell yeah. Dumb movie? Extremely.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 amI think it was Malchior who pointed out that the
Spoiler:
whole sea journey was completely unnecessary as they ended up flying him there in 12 minutes apparently. It's basically the Eagles flying to Mount Doom issue from Lord of the Rings.
My freaking 11 yo was questioning that shit. You know you are probably in trouble when the 11yo that plays minecraft all day is asking about the plot holes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

How else are you going to have that first fight without that original mode of transport?

This isn't a movie that's meant to be analyzed. It's just meant to be watched and enjoyed. I mean, it's called Godzilla vs Kong!
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:28 am Since most of the discussion has already happened in this thread, I'll just continue with the pitch meeting in this brand-new post-release thread.

I've never watched the pitch meeting vids before but after that I think I may just start.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:50 am How else are you going to have that first fight without that original mode of transport?

This isn't a movie that's meant to be analyzed. It's just meant to be watched and enjoyed. I mean, it's called Godzilla vs Kong!
Oh, I definitely agree. We're just chuckling at how extra dumb a lot of this movie was.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:50 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 amI think it was Malchior who pointed out that the
Spoiler:
My freaking 11 yo was questioning that shit. You know you are probably in trouble when the 11yo that plays minecraft all day is asking about the plot holes.
Well, the choppers couldn't really handle that weight nor did they have the range to get to where they started nor to get where they needed to go. Just another brain dead moment in a brain dead movie.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 amI've never watched the pitch meeting vids before but after that I think I may just start.
Some are better than others, but that one's a good representative sample. Better than most, maybe. I enjoy how he always pokes holes in plot points and the writer just shrugs it off.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 am I've never watched the pitch meeting vids before but after that I think I may just start.
You should do a mashup with Beau.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm in agreement - usually movies with characters this dumb and plot points so idiotic REALLY annoy me (see Wonder Woman 84), but for some reason I had a great time with this one. Yes it was silly, but they delivered on a promise of watching two big goofy monsters fight.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After watching that pitch meeting it's a major pass.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:50 pmI'm in agreement - usually movies with characters this dumb and plot points so idiotic REALLY annoy me (see Wonder Woman 84), but for some reason I had a great time with this one. Yes it was silly, but they delivered on a promise of watching two big goofy monsters fight.
Yeah. When I watch a movie like this, it's not to explore the finer points of military technological advances or wormhole logic or minor side quests and their application to the grander theme. I'm there to watch big things smash each other, and by all accounts this movie delivers well on that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So THAT'S why they keep making Underworld movies. I wondered who you folks were.

:P

(but as most of us are saying, we can point out the monumental stupidity of much of this movie while still appreciating the sight of two giant monsters from our childhood punching each other repeatedly)
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think another reason I probably liked it more than it deserved is I had just finished watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters the day before. And that movie was just boring, dark, claustrophobic, and depressing. It was a breath of fresh air to watch this one which was closer in tone to Kong: Skull Island, had some humor, didn't take itself too seriously, and was bright and colorful with varied locations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really liked King of the Monsters. It felt like a throwback to the old days of Toho Studios in many ways. It was a bit too dark, I agree though.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I was not planning to watch this, but I had an HBOmax subscription and two hours to kill.

It's pretty good spectacle, in that the fights are fun and well-directed. But boy is it dumb. Not "this is so bad it's good" dumb, just dumb. All the parts focused on human beings fall utterly flat. I mean, the human with the most fleshed-out storyline is basically Newman from Jurassic Park, if he were really into QAnon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:So THAT'S why they keep making Underworld movies. I wondered who you folks were.
Kate in tight pants for me
Vampires for the wife
That’s what you call a win-win date night.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:41 pm I think another reason I probably liked it more than it deserved is I had just finished watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters the day before. And that movie was just boring, dark, claustrophobic, and depressing. It was a breath of fresh air to watch this one which was closer in tone to Kong: Skull Island, had some humor, didn't take itself too seriously, and was bright and colorful with varied locations.
I loved Skull Island, sort of liked Godzilla, but really didn't like King of Monsters. For me I couldn't get over the fact that the main characters literally zigzagged all around the world twice over in about 1 day. They magically teleported where ever they needed to be. I mean one minute #11 is in some tropical jungle and the next she's at Fenway park. But I let it go, since it's a movie about giant creatures fighting each other.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 am They magically teleported where ever they needed to be. I mean one minute #11 is in some tropical jungle and the next she's at Fenway park.
They explain this in Godzookie vs Kong
Spoiler:
Godzilla can use his nuclear breath to drill super highways into the Earth. And as Kong showed, you can literally crawl from the center of the Earth by jumping a mile or so straight up and grabbing onto the side of one of these tunnels, using the gravity inversion to break the speed of light, and go from the very center of the world to any country on Earth in 27 seconds.
I don't think there's ever been a thoughtful, scientifically sound Kaiju movie ever made. So I've given up trying to apply logic to them...well...other than when they're so horribly goofy that I can't help but poke (loving) fun at them. King of the Monsters was no more dumb than GvK or SI or G. As I wrote, I enjoyed G:KotM because it felt like a throwback to the old Toho films to me. It had giant monsters in a battle royale, and it had humans who said some things I wasn't paying attention to. That was all I wanted.

p.s. I finally watched that pitch meeting video above (that guy is hilarious) and he brings up another plot point that made me roll my eyes so hard I had to be rushed to the ER
Spoiler:
How the f&*k do you essentially fax a power source to your cohorts thousands of miles away? That made no sense whatsoever. I think they knew that too as they didn't even try to explain it.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alanah Pearce with some truthing.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, but opposable thumb FTW!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Nuclear beam aside, I will put ape intelligence and strength up against a freaking lizard any day of the week. Really Godzilla's ONLY way to even be remotely a match for an equivalent sized King Kong is that beam. Otherwise the match is over before it even begins. That lady's nuts.

Scale it down and put a gorilla against an iguana and tell me who wins.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:36 pm Nuclear beam aside, I will put ape intelligence and strength up against a freaking lizard any day of the week. Really Godzilla's ONLY way to even be remotely a match for an equivalent sized King Kong is that beam. Otherwise the match is over before it even begins. That lady's nuts.

Scale it down and put a gorilla against an iguana and tell me who wins.
"But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yk’s laying down some hard truths. :clap:
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Late to the party.
That movie had so many issues. So many.
And I must be getting old, because the monster fights didn't get me like the cheesy ones when I was a kid. Sigh.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Just watched this Saturday.

I enjoy these movies.

I did wonder about putting the kid in danger.
Spoiler:
And why it took so long for them to release Kong on the boat from his chains so he could defend himself.

And if this was an issue that they would fight if Kong wasn't shielded in the habitat, why didn't they fight BEFORE he was shielded???

And if they were able to be buddies in the end, why were they fighting in the first place???
But I'm good at tuning out/ignoring that sort of stuff and enjoying the good parts with the monsters and just accepting the story for what it is.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:27 am Just watched this Saturday.

I enjoy these movies.

I did wonder about putting the kid in danger.
Spoiler:
And why it took so long for them to release Kong on the boat from his chains so he could defend himself.

And if this was an issue that they would fight if Kong wasn't shielded in the habitat, why didn't they fight BEFORE he was shielded???

And if they were able to be buddies in the end, why were they fighting in the first place???
But I'm good at tuning out/ignoring that sort of stuff and enjoying the good parts with the monsters and just accepting the story for what it is.
Spoiler:
1) Because they didn't want Kong to be free when they got to their destination that was totally not boat-accessible, and they figured their multitude of warships would deal with Godzilla. Because that has worked out totally great every other time.
2) I actually assumed the island Kong had been on was isolated enough that Godzilla didn't care.
3) Not convinced they are buddies. Godzilla already established dominance, no reason to go at it again.
Regarding the girl
Spoiler:
This actually made sense to me, in that they needed a way to influence Kong, all the way to the end. Regardless, there was a CPS worker waiting for them in the Hollow Earth temple, but the vulture-beasts had already eaten her.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.