MLB 2021 Post Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:30 am DH is still a thing right?
It is, but Ohtani is so awesome they forgo it when he pitches. :D
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

No. Just....no.
The Boston Red Sox, known for their traditional white uniforms with red lettering and the iconic "B," are unveiling their first jersey without any red at all.

As part of Major League Baseball's first major jersey collaboration with Nike -- which became the sport's uniform supplier in 2019 -- the Red Sox unveiled the yellow-and-powder-blue uniforms Tuesday.

Inspired by the Patriots' Day holiday and the Boston Marathon, the jerseys feature a marathon bib patch with 617, Fenway Park's area code, on the left sleeve.

The radical design for MLB is part of Nike's first venture into designing alternates for baseball, known as the City Connect series, meant to push the boundaries of uniform design.
Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm I think that they should decide the playoff seeding based primarily on the 4th game of the season.
I think we should call the season now and proceed to the playoffs based on the current standings. :mrgreen:

Go Royals.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Exodor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm I think that they should decide the playoff seeding based primarily on the 4th game of the season.
I think we should call the season now and proceed to the playoffs based on the current standings. :mrgreen:

Go Royals.
:tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tatis injured. :x

Fernando Tatis, Jr., left last night’s game with an injury against the San Francisco Giants that has been announced as a subluxation of his left shoulder. The San Diego Padres star fell to the ground after swinging and missing at a 2-2 pitch in the third inning, and ended up leaving the game.

A shoulder subluxation is a partial dislocation of the shoulder, where the head of the shoulder bone comes partway out of the “cup-like socket” that makes up the other half of the shoulder joint. Tatis has apparently dealt with shoulder pain throughout his career dating back to rookie ball, so this sounds like a chronic issue he and the Padres may simply have to do their best to manage going forward.

Per the link, Padres manager Jayce Tingler said he believed that Tatis got his shoulder popped back into place in the clubhouse. The question at this point is going to be whether Tatis will be able to return to the field right away, or if the Padres’ medical team determines he needs to rest and immobilize the shoulder before he returns to action.

Since it is his left shoulder and not his throwing shoulder, there is a bit of good news here, or at least a “it could be worse” element to it. Still, this isn’t the type of thing that the Padres — or baseball in general — wants to see, given Tatis is already, at age 22, one of the best players in the game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Good thing he's young and under arbitration....Oh wait.... Seriously though he's someone that can get people watching the game and I hope this isn't something that haunts him his entire career.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smith hit the most ridiculous HR tonight. The ball was wayyy up over the letters and he somehow hit it out opposite field. That guy is crazy good and needs to be playing every day. So far the pen looks like hot garbage but it's only 2 games in.

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, my first live, in person sporting event after 13 months will be today in 3 hours. And it's a straight doubleheader to boot!
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 am Well, my first live, in person sporting event after 13 months will be today in 3 hours. And it's a straight doubleheader to boot!
So no rainbow flags?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm so glad that the first series in every team's season doesn't count, while the second is given double weight.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 pm I'm so glad that the first series in every team's season doesn't count, while the second is given double weight.
Actually, that's just in the AL. In the NL it's the opposite.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 am Well, my first live, in person sporting event after 13 months will be today in 3 hours. And it's a straight doubleheader to boot!
Sorry that didn't work out for your team. Hopefully the trip was entertaining anyway. I know Camden Yards has been more entertaining than the game on MANY occasions. Never gotten down to Nats Park yet.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets totally stole a game today. Conforto with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th leaned into a pitch IN THE ZONE and they called it a HBP and they walked it off. I'm a Mets fan and I'm annoyed. I can only imagine the Marlins fans. Super lame.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:59 pm Mets totally stole a game today. Conforto with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th leaned into a pitch IN THE ZONE and they called it a HBP and they walked it off. I'm a Mets fan and I'm annoyed. I can only imagine the Marlins fans. Super lame.
One time my son asked me why they don't just do this during the World Series. I told him you have to make an effort to get out of the way of the pitch. Shows what I know.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:59 pm Mets totally stole a game today. Conforto with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th leaned into a pitch IN THE ZONE and they called it a HBP and they walked it off. I'm a Mets fan and I'm annoyed. I can only imagine the Marlins fans. Super lame.
One time my son asked me why they don't just do this during the World Series. I told him you have to make an effort to get out of the way of the pitch. Shows what I know.
You have the rule right. The umpires on the other hand must of just wanted to go home. I'm sure the Marlins will file a protest, but I've never seen that actually accomplish anything. Conforto didn't win too many fans today. I see the Mets boards blowing up calling him a chump. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bleacher Report wrote:The last time that a protest was upheld was in 1986, when the Pittsburgh Pirates protested that umpires called a game due to rain too soon. The league agreed and the game was resumed, although the Pirates eventually lost the game to—coincidentally—the St Louis Cardinals.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The video.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Each replay makes it look worse and worse. It's so obvious that he leans into the pitch AND it's a f'n strike. They have an off day today, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't get plunked tomorrow.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It was on the inside corner but I had to watch a couple times to even see the hit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It really doesn't look to me like he was even hit. *Maybe* it gets a little of the cloth on his jersey?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That wasn't nearly as egregious as I thought it would be based on commentary. Craig Biggio made a lot of money doing that multiple times a year.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And made it to the Hall of Fame in so doing.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm guessing what made this one stand out was the circumstance - it was a "Walk Off Lean-in". It's a pretty common (albeit frustrating) play.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rule should be if it hits your armor, no bases loaded walk.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 pm Rule should be if it hits your armor, no bases loaded walk.
Nice idea, but bases loaded in the ninth inning of a playoff game, I could imagine someone removing their armor.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If it wasn't the last play of the game this likely never would have come up. It's just soooo lame. It's also not the first time he's done something like that.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

8 innings pitch 14 ks and 1 run and he gets the loss. The Mets continue to never support Degrom. It's insane.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Red Sox - Twins game that was supposed to start 5 minutes ago or so was abruptly postponed, for non-weather reasons. Haven't said yet why - the Red Sox announcers were speculating that it might be Chauvin-trial related, but unless there's a verdict incoming (which there isn't - the trial isn't done yet right?) seems unlikely. Guessing a COVID issue, but I guess we'll find out soon.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Might be related to the riots from them shooting someone yesterday. Apparently they came out and said it was an accidental discharge. Wonder why they are so angry all the time. ;)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The trial is in a lunch break. Witness testimony will continue in the trial of former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin when the court returns.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 pm Might be related to the riots from them shooting someone yesterday. Apparently they came out and said it was an accidental discharge. Wonder why they are so angry all the time. ;)
But the fans and everyone were already there. Why is that a reason to cancel the game right then? Seems like it would just discharge the crowd now, rather than a couple hours from now. What's the difference?
Last edited by El Guapo on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Guess that is the reason, though I still don't totally understand it. I guess if people couldn't get home before the curfew otherwise, could make sense.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets game postponed again due to rain. That's now 5 games that have been skipped. Annoying but what ya gona do?

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Royals win one by bouncing a ball off the batter's nuts then throwing out the runner on third

Just like they drew it up.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The other day the Padres got a no-hitter. The first in franchise history (founded 1969).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:24 am The other day the Padres got a no-hitter. The first in franchise history (founded 1969).
old news
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Which part of "the other day" stumped you?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:31 pm Which part of "the other day" stumped you?
what part of "we don't care" stumped you :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I apologize to the mouse in your pocket.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets win again. The bats are starting to come to life. I guess playing a few games in a row helps a bit.