FAA license qualification

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

FAA license qualification

Post by hitbyambulance »

thinking of finally going for it (private/recreational pilot) - does anyone have experience with the process? also, does anyone have any legit links to free ground school texts? i figured i'd start with the book learning part, and if i can keep up with that, eventually progress to the paid lessons.
jztemple2

Re: FAA license qualification

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:31 pm thinking of finally going for it (private/recreational pilot) - does anyone have experience with the process? also, does anyone have any legit links to free ground school texts? i figured i'd start with the book learning part, and if i can keep up with that, eventually progress to the paid lessons.
Good gosh, I have my private license but I got it <does the complicated math> fifty years ago. I got it through the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach and that might be a bit much for what you are looking for.

Did a quick internet search and found a couple of downloadable syllabus PDFs to get you started.
www.kingschools.com/CFI/documents/king-schools-private-pilot-syllabus.pdf
www.flighttrainingtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/PrivatePilotGroundFlightSyllabus.pdf

The FAA has a bunch of resources online and available to download, with pages like this one: Aviation Handbooks & Manuals. On that page you might want to check out the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. As it says in the intro:
The Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge provides basic knowledge that is essential for pilots. This handbook introduces pilots to the broad spectrum of knowledge that will be needed as they progress in their pilot training. Except for the Code of Federal Regulations pertinent to civil aviation, most of the knowledge areas applicable to pilot certification are presented. This handbook is useful to beginning pilots, as well as those pursuing more advanced pilot certificates.
UPDATE: There is also available the Sports Pilot certificate.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

some good info there - i was not aware of the three different classifications (Sport is 20 hours of flight training, Recreational is 30 hours and Private is 40 hours)

https://upperlimitaviation.edu/differen ... l-private/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I think the best approach would be to decide what you wish to get the license for. If you just want to tinker around your locale in a ultralight or light sports aircraft you can go for something less than a private pilot license. But having the private license opens up the world plus allows access to decent enough aircraft to make some serious trips. My wife's uncle had his private license and was part owner of a four seater Cessna and each year would take trips around the country with his wife. On the other hand I got my private license at seventeen because I wanted to learn about flying, flew maybe another twenty hours and then (this was the time of the 1970s fuel crisis) decided it was rather expensive and I wasn't all that interested in pursuing an aviation career, so I never flew as a pilot again.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:10 am I think the best approach would be to decide what you wish to get the license for. If you just want to tinker around your locale in a ultralight or light sports aircraft you can go for something less than a private pilot license. But having the private license opens up the world plus allows access to decent enough aircraft to make some serious trips. My wife's uncle had his private license and was part owner of a four seater Cessna and each year would take trips around the country with his wife. On the other hand I got my private license at seventeen because I wanted to learn about flying, flew maybe another twenty hours and then (this was the time of the 1970s fuel crisis) decided it was rather expensive and I wasn't all that interested in pursuing an aviation career, so I never flew as a pilot again.
The private rating really gives a lot more flexibility than the other two, and I would argue that some of the requirements such as the long cross country foster incredibly useful skills that every pilot should have IMO. Also, a valid Private rating is often required for aircraft rental. I didn't find the process incredibly difficult. I think I soloed after about 6-7 hours in the airplace, compared to over 20 in a helicopter. The airplane really is pretty simple to fly as long as you keep an eye on your airspeed and don't stall.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:19 am The airplane really is pretty simple to fly as long as you keep an eye on your airspeed and don't stall.
Yeah, I'm pretty uncoordinated and yet they let me fly solo in some nice ships :D. I'd say that the ground school is probably going to be the more challenging to a lot of folks, there is quite a lot of information you are going to be expected to master.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The only advise I have when doing the in-air part of the exam, refrain from yelling "Look what I can do!" and perform an Immelman, as impressive as that might be.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:44 pm The only advise I have when doing the in-air part of the exam, refrain from yelling "Look what I can do!" and perform an Immelman, as impressive as that might be.
I was doing stalls with my instructor in a Cessna 172 and managed to fall off on one wing and enter a spin. I froze up and the instructor took over and got us back to straight and level. Even though, by 1971, spin training was no longer part of the training required for your private license, he figured I needed to be more familiar with spins. So for the next half-hour :shock: he made me put it into a spin over and over again and then told me (in a sometimes loud voice) what to do to get out of it. Over and over again. I never said anything to him, but spins rather freaked me out :shock:. The good news was that I was so sensitized to the conditions to get into a spin I knew I'd never get into one again.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I went to flight school circa 2000 for a while working on a private pilot license. I got as far as having a solo certification (fly by myself without an instructor) but I moved onto other life paths right around my first long distance solo flight.

So I can give you somewhat more up-to-date, but less complete information than jztemple?

But I'd agree with the other two you should definitely consider doing the full private license instead of the recreational one. If I remember right, there were a lot stricter restrictions on what weather you were allowed to fly in with just a recreation license, so if it was totally sunny and nice where you mostly wanted to fly but a little too cloudy around the airport, you couldn't go flying with just the recreational license. You also can't move onto getting an instrument flying certification, that would allow you to fly via the tower giving you commands in cases where visibility was poor.

Another idea since we are after all on a gaming oriented message board, but if you're serious about this it might be worth investing in a yoke and rudder pedals and getting some time in Flight Simulator. The skills really do transfer, especially if you take the time to really understand the gauges and controls.

I'm guessing a lot has changed in flight schools since 2000, but check some of your local schools and ask if they offer demo flights. If they still do them, it'll be a chance to get in the cockpit for 45 minutes to an hour for less money than a full rental or lesson would be.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:20 pm I'm guessing a lot has changed in flight schools since 2000, but check some of your local schools and ask if they offer demo flights. If they still do them, it'll be a chance to get in the cockpit for 45 minutes to an hour for less money than a full rental or lesson would be.
That's a great idea! Get a feel for what you might expect and some insight from the instructor.

Also, check around for nearby small airports and visit their FOB (fixed base operator). The FOB owner might have some contacts who would be happy to give you a short flight for little or no money, it is surprising how often you'll find a pilot just looking for an excuse for a flight :D
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

some good leads here... the manager i was working for at my previous job is a private pilot and had offered to let me ride along on a flight, but that never happened. maybe i'll see if that offer still stands.