[TV] Debris - aka The Floating Dead

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rittchard

[TV] Debris - aka The Floating Dead

Post by rittchard »

New sci-fi/X-files type of show debuted on NBC last night. I found it pretty intriguing overall, it involves the collection (by various factions I guess) of space debris from a ship or something that blew up years ago. The pieces are... mysterious! The two leads are likable enough, here's hoping they can keep the intrigue interesting enough before NBC tries to cancel it lol.
Smoove_B

Re: [TV] Debris - aka The Floating Dead

Post by Smoove_B »

I have it recorded, but I didn't watch it yet. At the risk of sounding snobby, it's network TV so my expectations are low.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I thought the commercials looked interesting enough to set a Season Pass but no idea when I'll actually watch it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're nearing the end of Orange is the New Black so starting to think about what dramatic series we might want to watch next. This one is a candidate, if a weak one.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:42 pm We're nearing the end of Orange is the New Black so starting to think about what dramatic series we might want to watch next. This one is a candidate, if a weak one.
If you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend watching Counterpart:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like JK Simmons in just about everything. Added, thanks.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Plan on watching Debris tonight OnDemand. And Counterpart looks great, just checked Amazon and it's 2 seasons and started in 2018. Never even heard of it. I wonder how many other great shows are out there that I don't know exist. One of the reasons I'm so thankful for these Netflix/Amazon/TV show threads.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Counterpart was great. I was sad to see it end, but it did so with a decent conclusion.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I watched the pilot over the weekend and was left with a solid "meh" feeling. The opening/premise was great, but the story they started with seemed way too involved for a starting scenario. It felt like it was intentionally chosen to tug at heart strings, imho and I'd be surprised to learn that was the original episode and not some reconfigured story from later in the series.

Anyway, I'll give it my standard 5 episode trial and see how it trends but I wasn't left with strong impression from the pilot.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Ep 2 was pretty interesting, I won't give away the plot. I can't put my finger on what I think is holding the series back, it seems like they have enough interesting subplots and mysteries going on, plus unlike, say, Manifest, they don't seem shy about crazy stuff happening from the getgo. I suspect it may be that I don't find the lead actor very charismatic or engaging. I've seen him in other things but I think he works better as a villain or side character. In contrast I've never seen the lead actress before but I find her very engaging.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm in for the nonce. I just want to see what that big thingamabob does.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:17 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:42 pm We're nearing the end of Orange is the New Black so starting to think about what dramatic series we might want to watch next. This one is a candidate, if a weak one.

Fringe?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Remus West wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:17 am

Fringe?
Nah. Fringe was more akin to a quirky J.J. Abrams version of The X-Files. Personally, I much prefer the Cold War espionage between two parallel universes portrayed in Counterpart as compared to Fringe.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's not the George Jones I remember.

Also:
Spoiler:
When the main guy shot his clone, how did they know he was the original?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:25 pm That's not the George Jones I remember.

Also:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Maybe because he was not acting crazy like the other clones?
I've enjoyed the 2 episodes so far, we'll see how it plays out over the next few. In shows like this, I'm not a big fan of a story arc that plays out and wraps up and the end of each episode as we discover new powers of the debris each episode. Works for shows like X-Files bit no sure about this one. We'll see.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lassr wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:34 am
Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:25 pm That's not the George Jones I remember.

Also:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Maybe because he was not acting crazy like the other clones?
Well of course, cops are always blase about officer involved shootings.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Anyone else still watching this? Reminds me why I hardly ever watch network TV. I was holding out to see what that big thingy does, but will probably turn out like the dinosaurs on Lost.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I watched the first one and felt rather meh about it. I had like 3 stacked up and figured that was a sign I wasn't interested. It just didn't grab me from the get-go.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I want it to be Warehouse 13 meets the X Files meets Eureka, but while it's derivative of all those, it just isn't jelling. Neither of the main characters have any personality and there's no chemistry between them. The murky backstory playing them against one another doesn't make sense to me. The underlying "science" is just magic. The villains aren't in focus yet. And it didn't help that the first three episodes all ended with "love conquers all."

IDK if I'm going to stick with it through the end of the season. If I do, it will be the sunk cost fallacy at work. Wife says it reminds her of The Dome, which was another show that I abandoned after just a few episodes (although Wife stuck it out). A lot of good shows didn't hit their stride until their second or third season, but nowadays I don't think they get that long to prove themselves.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I stopped after 3 episodes. I've really had no interest in picking it back up. It's interesting but not enough to hold me.

Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We lasted 3 episodes as well. Pretty underwhelming...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I let Wife goad me into watching the latest episode tonight, and it was another "love conquers all" ending. That's four out of six episodes. Pretty sure I'm done with it now.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm Well I let Wife goad me into watching the latest episode tonight, and it was another "love conquers all" ending. That's four out of six episodes. Pretty sure I'm done with it now.
How long can it be until we get the "hooker with a heart of gold" episode.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I'm watching this show with my son, but I think he's just trying to prove I'm wrong (along with everyone else in this thread).

I think most of my issue with the show, well...other than the leads, is about the ship. For instance, did they try to backtrack the trajectory? Has anything about the debris revealed...I don't know...anything about the possible physiology (i.e. furniture) or form of writing since it apparently didn't really burn up upon reentry.

The leads, now that we're SEVEN episodes into the series...have no real depth. We don't even have flashbacks to flesh out why they were chosen. We know Bryan was some badass marine, was in military prison, carries a photo of some woman, and apparently needs an injection for something. For Fiona, we know her dad was super important to her, but no real sense of their relationship...again...with no flashbacks to help determine if his interests influenced her desire to be in the group and the family dynamic with her sister. Her sister just keeps trying to call her, talk to her, or get her to come home because she seems to have a past drug habit.

All we are left with is weird alien wreckage that does crazy shit to people...aaaaaannnnd there's no explanation about the number rating each piece has or when it's dangerous to a human other than higher is seems to be worse. We seem them trying to reassemble the ship, but obviously, that's going to be odd since the debris is all over the place. It makes more sense that they'd be studying that stuff in a lab and not playing jigsaw puzzle with them.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Buatha wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:26 am I'm watching this show with my son, but I think he's just trying to prove I'm wrong (along with everyone else in this thread).
Show him Warehouse 13.

I think what bugs me most is that this show is worse than all of the other shows it's derived from. Debris is junk and after tonight I'm sure I won't watch anymore.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another problem with a show like this is they can't resolve anything in the near term or the show would be over. And it won't be around long enough for some dramatic conclusion. So they will just flail away with the effect of the week until the show is no more.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

During the torture scene when they took his shoes off, I would have totally committed to the show if they had tickled his feet.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

And, the copper plate that allows them to see his thoughts....W T F? Is that a Debris tech? I'd guess so...but who knows with this show?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I enjoyed the "Simpsons Toaster" episodes. I cracked up when the black agent actually said, "close enough."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Jaymann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:41 pm I enjoyed the "Simpsons Toaster" episodes. I cracked up when the black agent actually said, "close enough."
But didn't you think there were a lot of plot "holes"? Get it? Get it? Holes?? Heeeeehehheeehehee

OK sorry - seriously though I really enjoyed this pair of eps as well, I love alternate reality dilemmas and I thought this was a really creative way to play around with them.