Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Vorret

Re: Cineplexity Game 28

Post by Vorret »

Spiderman: Homecoming

Aunt may teaches peter how to dance

Many things are destroyed , obviously.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Good choices...I'm thinking. Late entries?
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:27 pm Groundhog Day
Winner for piano lessons, and besides the shots destroying the alarm clock, IMDb says they shot a scene of him destroying the whole room but didn't use it.
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck 5
Unagi 4
Anonymous Bosch 4
Jaymann 3
Jaymon 3
Isgrimnur 3
pr0ner 2
AWS260 2
Pyperkub 2
JetFred 1

Judge: Pyperkub

Scenes Music or Dance Lessons
Characters With a Life-threatening Disease
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Silver Linings Playbook. Both main characters suffer from serious mental illness.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amadeus

Mozart's new opera, The Magic Flute, is a great success, but during one performance, the overworked Mozart collapses. Constanze returns and demands that Salieri leave immediately. In her guilt, she locks the unfinished Requiem away, and Mozart dies from exhaustion.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image

Young Frankenstein, with the monster suffering from the life-threatening condition of being a re-animated corpse.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moulin Rouge!

She dies of Tuberculosis at the end.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The Red Violin

one of the "owners" is a orphan boy he dies from some sort of heart problem, exacerbated from practicing too hard.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

3 Days to Kill
A dying CIA agent trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter is offered an experimental drug that could save his life in exchange for one last assignment.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Bump for any late entries.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:09 am Silver Linings Playbook. Both main characters suffer from serious mental illness.
Winner.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck 5
Unagi 4
Anonymous Bosch 4
Jaymann 3
Jaymon 3
Isgrimnur 3
AWS260 3
pr0ner 2
Pyperkub 2
JetFred 1

Judge: AWS260

Characters With a Life-threatening Disease
Characters Tall, Dark, and Handsome
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Philadelphia

With the mighty Denzel, all three.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Short Time with Dabney Coleman
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Gone with the Wind

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The Machinist

Starring Christian Bale, who is generally considered tall dark and handsome.
Anonymous Bosch

Enlarge Image

Tombstone, with 6' 2" Powers Boothe (or 6' 3" Charlton Heston) for tall, dark, and handsome, and Doc Holliday suffering from worsening tuberculosis.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Shootist
A dying gunfighter spends his last days looking for a way to die with a minimum of pain and a maximum of dignity.
Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My Neighbor Totoro

Enlarge Image
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:47 pm Gone with the Wind
Winner.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck 5
Unagi 4
Anonymous Bosch 4
Jaymann 3
Jaymon 3
Isgrimnur 3
AWS260 3
Pyperkub 3
pr0ner 2
JetFred 1

Judge: Pyperkub

Characters Tall, Dark, and Handsome
Characters A Psychic, Psychotic, or Psychologist
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Mission Impossible - Fallout

Not Tom Cruise, but Henry Cavill is the epitome of TD&H and is psychotic in this.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Identity

John Cusack is 6'2".

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

X-Men

Hugh Jackman 6"3"

Bonus, Rebecca Romjin is 5'11", she also fits the role of 'handsome'
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I, Robot
Hodor.
Anonymous Bosch

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

The Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum as the tall, handsome, psychotic bogus preacher (which is specifically mentioned in the summary shown in the second image above).
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ghost

A tall, handsome white guy has never been as dark...killed by a psycho, but brought back to the flesh by way of a psychic....

To be clear, I am pointing out that the character, Sam Wheat, was played by Patrick Swayze and briefly by Whoopi Goldberg.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Taxi Driver

Enlarge Image

Anonymous Bosch

Max Peck wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:19 pm Taxi Driver

Enlarge Image
I'm not sure De Niro could accurately be described as 'tall':

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought he was going for Peter Boyle at 6ft 2 ¼.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:57 pm I thought he was going for Peter Boyle at 6ft 2 ¼.
Perhaps. Then again, 'handsome' hardly seems an apt description of the balding character he portrayed in Taxi Driver either:

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Didn't seem to hold back Yul Brynner.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:40 pm Didn't seem to hold back Yul Brynner.
True, but that's because a clean-shaven appearance almost invariably looks way better than the balding shaggy doughnut-style Boyle went with in Taxi Driver.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:45 pm I'm not sure De Niro could accurately be described as 'tall':
The internet tells me that he's probably 5' 10" tall (some sources go as low as 5' 7, others as high as 5' 11") which, if true, would make him slightly above average height for a North American male, so I'll leave it to the judge to decide whether he's tall enough. Or handsome enough. Or dark enough. Or whether the character is psychotic enough.

Anyway, is dumping on other people's entries a fun part of the game that I've been missing out on? :coffee:

Anonymous Bosch

Max Peck wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:10 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:45 pm I'm not sure De Niro could accurately be described as 'tall':
The internet tells me that he's probably 5' 10" tall (some sources go as low as 5' 7, others as high as 5' 11") which, if true, would make him slightly above average height for a North American male, so I'll leave it to the judge to decide whether he's tall enough. Or handsome enough. Or dark enough. Or whether the character is psychotic enough.

Anyway, is dumping on other people's entries a fun part of the game that I've been missing out on? :coffee:

It was merely a flippant observation on my part, so no need for anyone to get their knickers in a knot. As you said, if the judge decides De Niro's role in Taxi Driver equates to 'Tall, Dark, and Handsome' + 'A Psychic, Psychotic, or Psychologist', that's fine with me and really all that matters.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Let's take a brief moment here and clear this up.

To answer your question: YES, to some degree, it is. This is a Card Game/ Board Game - and when a bunch of friends play a game together, there is a degree of critique and ribbing that is considered FUN.

Especially in a game like this. Or, have you ever played 'Apples to Apples'.... similar mechanic - players take turns to be the judge, and it's the judge's opinion you need to win over.

I suppose I am more or less infamous for being the one that "complains" the most here, but I've always been frustrated that it seems to be taken so negatively, like you say: "dumping on" - rather than just a small aspect of the game that's generally meant in good nature.

So, to answer your question (again).... Yes... There is a degree of fun in pointing out that Shawshank Redemption's "ladder" is a joke compared to (I think someone else played) the Great Escape's "wheel-barrel". As a player (I played neither Shawshank nor the Great Escape) it's fun to discuss these things.

Honestly... otherwise this is just people submitting movie titles and judges saying: 'winner'. That's just empty, to me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 am

It was merely a flippant observation on my part, so no need for anyone to get their knickers in a knot. As you said, if the judge decides De Niro's role in Taxi Driver equates to 'Tall, Dark, and Handsome' + 'A Psychic, Psychotic, or Psychologist', that's fine with me and really all that matters.
Being a dick about being a dick doesn't make someone not a dick. Just sayin', Francis. :coffee:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 am

To answer your question: YES, to some degree, it is. This is a Card Game/ Board Game - and when a bunch of friends play a game together, there is a degree of critique and ribbing that is considered FUN.

Especially in a game like this. Or, have you ever played 'Apples to Apples'.... similar mechanic - players take turns to be the judge, and it's the judge's opinion you need to win over.

I suppose I am more or less infamous for being the one that "complains" the most here, but I've always been frustrated that it seems to be taken so negatively, like you say: "dumping on" - rather than just a small aspect of the game that's generally meant in good nature.

So, to answer your question (again).... Yes... There is a degree of fun in pointing out that Shawshank Redemption's "ladder" is a joke compared to (I think someone else played) the Great Escape's "wheel-barrel". As a player (I played neither Shawshank nor the Great Escape) it's fun to discuss these things.

Honestly... otherwise this is just people submitting movie titles and judges saying: 'winner'. That's just empty, to me.
Good to know. I've been deliberately avoiding that sort of commentary, because it seems a little dickish to denigrate someone else's take instead of pitching my own. But if taking shots at other players is in the spirit of the game, then I'll keep that in mind.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 am

Good to know. I've been deliberately avoiding that sort of commentary, because it seems a little dickish to denigrate someone else's take instead of pitching my own. But if taking shots at other players is in the spirit of the game, then I'll keep that in mind.
I hope that you are saying this in good spirits and not taking it the way you keep making it sound.

And , this is just my unpopular (perhaps) opinion.

Clearly -I- feel it’s part of the game. But I think also clearly, some people seem to take insult to any criticism and see it as just complaining (or, wow, being a dick) , so I was hoping to hear other people’s take on it before you declare that I’ve decided we should all ‘dump on each other ‘ and be dicks about it.