COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrdina

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:11 pm I got my Moderna shot today. So far, four plus hours after the shot, no redness, swelling, soreness, rash, inability to pronounce "Worcestershire" correctly, nothing.
Did you ask whether you would be able to play the piano afterward?
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:56 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:11 pm I got my Moderna shot today. So far, four plus hours after the shot, no redness, swelling, soreness, rash, inability to pronounce "Worcestershire" correctly, nothing.
No, but dammit, I'll get my wife to do that tomorrow if she's game :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Speaking of second doses, I went to our friend the internet and did a little searching and found this article: WARNING: second dose of COVID-19 vaccine side effects can be severe. However, if you get past the click bait title and get to the meat of the article, it cites the empirical evidence of a single case, and then presents a couple of more useful charts from the FDA (I used the bigimg tag just in case):

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

What I get from those charts is that yes, regarding the second dose there is a slight chance that symptoms of fatigue, headache and muscle pain might be severe, but it is only a slight chance. You are in any case more likely to see symptoms after the second dose than after the first dose (with a nod to Lorini) and probably of more importance to myself and my wife, those over fifty-fify years of age are less likely to experience symptoms of side effects.

Ultimately I'm glad that if there are going to be severe side effects, they are coming after the second dose. If my wife experienced them after the first I might have some difficulty convincing her to get the second one :wub:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:31 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:24 pm I think I may as well. Really hoping so anyway.
Do you have any idea how we will be able to find out if we are eligible for the vaccine? Will we need a doctor's note if we have an underlying condition? I haven't really heard anything about how this is going to work.
They said on the news today that it was determined it would be too difficult to verify people are actually eligible and they don't want to disenfranchise people by requiring a doctor's note to document any severe illness, so the whole round is going to be on the Honor System.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:26 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:31 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:24 pm I think I may as well. Really hoping so anyway.
Do you have any idea how we will be able to find out if we are eligible for the vaccine? Will we need a doctor's note if we have an underlying condition? I haven't really heard anything about how this is going to work.
They said on the news today that it was determined it would be too difficult to verify people are actually eligible and they don't want to disenfranchise people by requiring a doctor's note to document any severe illness, so the whole round is going to be on the Honor System.
Sweet. Fortunately for me, I have no honor.

But I think I might be actually eligible anyway
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

So what I gleaned from that sat above is that any time 10% of people have diarrhea in a 7 day period. Is that normal? :shock:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

50+ with chronic high risk conditions may begin registration on Monday. Knowing the county and my health care system aren't even accepting open registrations for 65+ yet, I'm going to be calling CVS on Monday to at least figure out how to get in line. I'll have to register with Meijer is CVS can't accommodate. No idea what that means for timing, and I'm kinda hoping I don't get thrown in the J&J line but I'll have roadmap. This is a drastic change from the state website update from this past Monday. Also the new 50+ age thing is new. It used to be 80+, 65+, 18-64. I wonder what changed this week in age determination priority.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 am So what I gleaned from that sat above is that any time 10% of people have diarrhea in a 7 day period. Is that normal? :shock:
I could see that being normal, yes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder what changed this week in age determination priority.
Might have gotten an influx of vaccine shipments.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hrdina wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:56 pm
"Of course you can."

"Well I couldn't before!"
That's my purse! I don't know you!
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

How does it usually work stateside for vaccinations that aren't in the middle of a pandemic? Like if you got a flu shot, or you needed an MMR shot - do you get those at the pharmacy, and do they just charge you there?

Reason I am asking is if America is truly vaccinated by May (or at least those that want it) -- I'm wondering if it's going to be possible for me to drive or fly over the border and pay for it there for my family in Buffalo or Fort Erie.

Our PM is screwing the pooch hard, and if I can pay for it stateside without queue jumping Americans that are waiting for it - I'm down (just not down with the sickness). I'm not willing to wait until September'ish to get it if it's readily available an hour away stateside.
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

FishPants wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 am How does it usually work stateside for vaccinations that aren't in the middle of a pandemic? Like if you got a flu shot, or you needed an MMR shot - do you get those at the pharmacy, and do they just charge you there?

Reason I am asking is if America is truly vaccinated by May (or at least those that want it) -- I'm wondering if it's going to be possible for me to drive or fly over the border and pay for it there for my family in Buffalo or Fort Erie.

Our PM is screwing the pooch hard, and if I can pay for it stateside without queue jumping Americans that are waiting for it - I'm down (just not down with the sickness). I'm not willing to wait until September'ish to get it if it's readily available an hour away stateside.
Yes, normally you can just pay for the shot (or insurance covers it).

But there is no way we are fully vaccinated by the end of May. There might be enough vaccine in inventory (whether at the state or federal level is open to question), but it's going to take a while to get that many distributed. September seems likely for it to be something anyone could just walk up and get without waiting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How does it usually work stateside for vaccinations that aren't in the middle of a pandemic? Like if you got a flu shot, or you needed an MMR shot - do you get those at the pharmacy, and do they just charge you there?
I get the flu shot at my pharmacy whenever I want and its free. Im not sure if its free for me or free for all. Ive seen some places want $10.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FishPants wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 am How does it usually work stateside for vaccinations that aren't in the middle of a pandemic? Like if you got a flu shot, or you needed an MMR shot - do you get those at the pharmacy, and do they just charge you there?
For a flu shot, I get those for free from work.

For other shots, I get them from a doctor when needed. Insurance covers it, with a copay for the visit.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In Michigan, you can get a shot from a pharmacy but presumably it's all arranged at the insurer's end. You can also get it from your PCP.

Also we won't be be vaccinated by May. The claim is that production/supply will be available by the end of May for everyone to get a shot that wants one. Distribution and then vaccination still need to happen. That suggests to me, with J&J shelf life on the table and the two weeks between shots for the Moderna and Pfizer shots puts us in mid July to be "truly vaccinated." Of course, I'm still ecstatic at the middle of July estimate. Until this week, my mind was still on end of October.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can also get it from your PCP.
You get shots from angel dust?

Ive had people in their 60s flat out tell me they aren't getting a shot. Big Trump people. I told them even he got a vaccine shot....which he secretly did.. They just kinda mumbled and harrumphed and avoided it.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The bigger chance now appears to be supply overrunning demand. If it does, I'd be more than fine shipping it north of the border. We're all in this together after all.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:09 am
You can also get it from your PCP.
You get shots from angel dust?

Primary Care Provider
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 am The bigger chance now appears to be supply overrunning demand. If it does, I'd be more than fine shipping it north of the border. We're all in this together after all.
I think that is the plan. Over order. Over produce. Take the excess and provide relief to other nations as is reasonable. R&P!!!! I endorse this plan and would have done so in October, the moment Pfizer had a candidate and laughed at the WARP Speed coordination they were informed they were part of.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never thought of my blood pressure as an underlying condition but from what Ive read it is. So maybe I can get in sooner than I first thought. 150/107 counts right? :)

I asked my doc if they could run a COVID antibody test on my blood since they were taking it. Said ya but i dont think they will. Said if I wanted a test by itself its still the nasal thing. I was only being nosy so passed. I was only wondering if Id been exposed over the year and didn't know it. I usually have sneezing and coughing in spring and fall but my fall stuff has lasted all winter. My temp was 99.3 too. But I was in a warm waiting room in a hot mask.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I mean, if someone is really wound up about waiting their turn to get vaccinated, they can always just hop on a plane to the UAE and buy a shot there, right? :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:41 am
malchior wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 am So what I gleaned from that sat above is that any time 10% of people have diarrhea in a 7 day period. Is that normal? :shock:
Taco Bell is a billion dollar business.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I suspect that some people being given the placebo (and not knowing it) will psych themselves into all sorts of aliments.

As for me, twenty hours after my first dose of Moderna and zilch as far as side effects. Not a surprise, really, I get annual flu shots, have gotten the shingles vaccine, get a tetanus shot occasionally, and I've never experienced any problems. Now we will see what happens with my wife tonight....
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 am
Certain medicines can, um, loosen things up. To the point where Slurpee, not Baby Ruth, is the norm.

Don't ask how I know this. :oops:
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 am
Off-topic, but one of our area Taco Bells, when I called to ask if they had dining-in yet, said that they didn't and they would never be going back to having inside dining. Now my wife and I happen to like Taco Bell, but she won't do takeout or even the drive-through since she likes their tacos but only wants them fresh from the kitchen to table. I gave the restaurant a one-star review on Google, stating my reasons. Perhaps that's unfair, but maybe if enough people register their feelings, we can reverse this poor decision of theirs.

Back on-topic, I'm still feeling good, although a bit fatigued. However, the fatigue might be do in part to doing a three mile walk this morning, then after lunch decorating the Xmas/Valentines/St Patricks tree :?, changing out a toilet seat and cleaning the pool. I feel like John Wayne's character in True Grit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My Taco Bell has dine in. I dont do drive through due to an unworking window on my car so I always have to go in. I skip places that dont allow me in to order even if I am taking it home. Last time I was in a couple weeks ago there were people in there eating too.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:00 pm My Taco Bell has dine in. I dont do drive through due to an unworking window on my car so I always have to go in. I skip places that dont allow me in to order even if I am taking it home. Last time I was in a couple weeks ago there were people in there eating too.
Good to know that it isn't a nationwide decision. We'll just keep on asking at our local TBs to remind them.

The same thing is happening at our local Culvers. There are two in the county and neither has dining in, but over on the West Coast of Florida where we go periodically they all have dining in and have done so since last summer.

Meanwhile, Florida CVS stores say that they will administer the vaccine to all "K-12 teacher, daycare, preschool worker, and staff, with no age limit set". This is beyond what the Florida government has allowed (you have to be 50+) but is in line with the newly released Biden administration guidelines.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:00 pm My Taco Bell has dine in. I dont do drive through due to an unworking window on my car so I always have to go in.
I have the same problem. If the weather's nice I can manually pull the window down (IE - grab the glass and pull), but I have to get out afterwards and work it back up to the closed position. That's only practical in a drive-thru during parts of the spring and fall.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

some anecdotes of COVID-19 vaccines alleviating symptoms of 'covid long-haulers':

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-re ... ives/91476

not sure how much of this is temporary or permanent, or if these were symptoms that were going to clear up on their own in that time frame anyways
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:48 pm Off-topic, but one of our area Taco Bells, when I called to ask if they had dining-in yet, said that they didn't and they would never be going back to having inside dining. Now my wife and I happen to like Taco Bell, but she won't do takeout or even the drive-through since she likes their tacos but only wants them fresh from the kitchen to table. I gave the restaurant a one-star review on Google, stating my reasons. Perhaps that's unfair, but maybe if enough people register their feelings, we can reverse this poor decision of theirs.
I'm sorry, I mean no offense and maybe I'm missing your point ("reverse this poor decision of theirs") , but reading this just really makes me cringe.

I mean, for starters, right now given COVID and where the country is at with it, I can't imagine thinking ones desires to eat indoors at Taco Bell outweigh the concerns that the franchise owner is making about limiting his business in order to safeguard his employees.

It's certainly your right to leave a poor review of this place because of this. I just think it sounds a bit more than just "unfair"; it reads as selfish and kinda odd to do (IMO).

To be bummed out that they do not have indoor dining right now, that is one thing, and to wish they would re-open, etc... but to take it to the level of 'protest', like you suggest - just seems like you live in a whole other world than me. You are giving a place a one-star review because they are being too safe, and too careful about COVID - this blows my mind. You hope other people pressure them to open (I guess you have made "the call" on the safety of doing that, for the owner and their employees??) - and if they don't you hope they are pushed into a one-star rating. That is sad as shit to me. Just really is.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:48 pm Off-topic, but one of our area Taco Bells, when I called to ask if they had dining-in yet, said that they didn't and they would never be going back to having inside dining. Now my wife and I happen to like Taco Bell, but she won't do takeout or even the drive-through since she likes their tacos but only wants them fresh from the kitchen to table. I gave the restaurant a one-star review on Google, stating my reasons. Perhaps that's unfair, but maybe if enough people register their feelings, we can reverse this poor decision of theirs.
I'm sorry, I mean no offense and maybe I'm missing your point ("reverse this poor decision of theirs") , but reading this just really makes me cringe.

I mean, for starters, right now given COVID and where the country is at with it, I can't imagine thinking ones desires to eat indoors at Taco Bell outweigh the concerns that the franchise owner is making about limiting his business in order to safeguard his employees.

It's certainly your right to leave a poor review of this place because of this. I just think it sound a bit more than just "unfair", it's selfish and odd to do (IMO).

To be bummed out that they do not have indoor dining right now, that is one thing, and to wish they would re-open, etc... but to take it to the level of 'protest', like you suggest - just seems like you live in a whole other world than me. You are giving a place a one-star review because they are being too safe, and too careful about COVID - this blows my mind. You hope other people pressure them to open (I guess you have made "the call" on the safety of doing that, for the owner and their employees??) - and if they don't you hope they are pushed into a one-star rating. That is sad as shit to me. Just really is.
For the record, I think he is talking about the "never going back to inside dining" part which changes the context.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

/shrug
I mean... For one, I can't image that should be taken at face-value, and I image his review is about their current choice to remain closed... 'never' is a silly term here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pizza hut did it in most locations and they are under the same parent company so it isn't an outrageous idea.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

making a request to please keep procedural, political, cultural and meta COVID-19 discussion/tangents to the other threads created for those purposes
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's certainly your right to leave a poor review of this place because of this. I just think it sounds a bit more than just "unfair"; it reads as selfish and kinda odd to do (IMO).

Maybe I wasn't clear. My review I posted for them wasn't about being safe or not, it was that they are planning, post-COVID, to not do indoor dining at all. I perfectly understand a decision to not have indoor dining during COVID, but the person I talked to said they were going to not do inside dining at all in the future.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got my Covid vaccine today from the VA. Moderna I believe.
So far no pain or side effects.
Except that for some reason I find Smoove_B very interesting today.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm making a request to please keep procedural, political, cultural and meta COVID-19 discussion/tangents to the other threads created for those purposes
Sorry, understood, I was getting off-topic and should have started a new thread if I wanted to continue the discussion.

Will return to the regular subject after my wife gets her shot in a bit over an hour :roll:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear. My review I posted for them wasn't about being safe or not, it was that they are planning, post-COVID, to not do indoor dining at all. I perfectly understand a decision to not have indoor dining during COVID, but the person I talked to said they were going to not do inside dining at all in the future.
And do you have any idea who it is you talked to?
Would they be in a position to know that?

And honestly, even so, that’s their call, right ?

At best, this is like reviewing a restaurant with one-star, because they were not open on Mondays and that’s your preferred night to eat out. At best. But this choice is about you thinking they should feel less concerned about COVID.

I dont think it’s right to pressure a business this way. It’s hard enough for them to make these choices let alone weather a one-star rating too. Hey , I mean.... Perhaps they will just close. I suppose that’s your goal, should they refuse to re-open. Right ?

Sorry. I shouldn’t keep saying ‘refuse to open’. You just demand that they commit to re-open.

All based on a phone-call to the person who answers the phone at Taco Bell.

/shrug. Just seems petty, maybe that’s what I’ll leave it at.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm making a request to please keep procedural, political, cultural and meta COVID-19 discussion/tangents to the other threads created for those purposes
Oops. Sorry. I’ll drop it too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You kept saying covid ....but I think he was stating it as they were planning to stay that way forever. Probably making money and not having to deal with people inside....no cleaning to do, maybe insurance is cheaper, wont need to build that space in the future. That was my take.

If I liked a place and they decided to change for the worse in my eyes Id rate them worse as well. If it was food that had changed I wouldn't care if the place serving it thought it was the best or that other people thought it was the best Id still rate if poorly if I didn't like the change.

Fine .