COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Xmann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Dramatist wrote:I had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon around 4pm and did not even have a sore arm before bed. I’m experiencing some side effects this morning (mild aches and a sore arm and possibly fatigue) but no where nearly as bad as I felt 12 hours after my first dose.

I’m supposed to work at 2pm today and it looks like I will be able tough out my shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t know the validity of this, but I’ve heard speculation that people who had Covid react much more intensely to their first shot than their second.
My PCP told me this could happen.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Vancouver BC here. Just registered on-line for my 1st dose. Should be 2-3 weeks before my appointment.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
stessier

Post by stessier »

My wife got her second shot at noon Wednesday. She fell asleep around seven, then woke up at 9pm with a fever, the chills, body shakes and muscle cramping. Put up with that until about 1am when she took some Tylenol. She appears to be sleeping now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

My arm is incredibly sore, but nothing else.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Feel much better this morning after 9 hours of sleep. Soreness has mainly disappeared (except for my armpit - maybe a lymph node there?) and no fever, although I still have a slight headache. All in all, one crappy day was by far worth the ease of mind I’ll have 12 days from now.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My shoulder pain (1st Moderna) lasted almost exactly 48 hours. I woke up on day 2 with it hurting like hell, worked out, took a shower, and it was fine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Got the Pfizer shot yesterday at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston and I have to say it was pretty well staffed with with a mix of civilians helping out and Navy Corpsmen giving the shots. No long lines and people being processed pretty quickly and efficiently. Also got the text just a few minutes later to schedule the second appointment while waiting the 15 minutes to see if I have any nasty side effects. Wife got the Moderna vaccine last week at her docs office so with the differing waiting intervals between the two brands we’ll end up getting our second dose on the same day! Arm is sore but bearable and I told the person giving the shot that I was feeling a really big sense of relief.

The thing that scares me though is that it seems that almost every other week my daughter’s middle school is reporting a positive COVID case. Right now she’s in a hybrid model where cohorts alternate between in person attendance and virtual learning which has worked well and her cohort group seems to have dodged the bullet.. Gov Baker however gave a hard deadline for returning to in person instruction which is the end of April. It’s also a few days after Spring Break. I wonder how many kids will be traveling and bringing back some viral passengers for the first day back to in person instruction. :cry:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, similar school situation here. It got bad enough that they decided to close the schools, and that was before the lockdown started earlier this month. And because of the lockdown, the Break is effectively cancelled.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm really really tired today. Went out for my daily walk and could only managed half my usual distance. Back home and I feel I could sleep for hours.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is anyone using the V-Safe health checker?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 pm Is anyone using the V-Safe health checker?
I did, but generally populated it with boring information.

Have folks seen the newest information re: the vaccinated vs. the varients? Stay to the end of that link for a nice quote from Dr. Fauci.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I wonder why the extreme arm soreness and nasty side effects compared to sauce flu shot?

I guess we didn’t have the time to get all the kinks out compared to other vaccines?

We don’t even know how long these are effective for, correct? Could be 3 months?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Breakthrough cases
About 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN.

Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization.
About 77 million people in the US are fully vaccinated against coronavirus, according to a CNN analysis of CDC data. The CDC's reports on breakthrough cases will lag day-to-day reports of vaccines given, so many, if not most, of those breakthrough cases will have happened weeks ago.
Mixing vaccines
A major UK trial looking at whether Covid vaccines can be mixed with different types of jabs used for first and second doses is being expanded.

Combining vaccines might give broader, longer-lasting immunity against the virus and new variants of it, and offer more flexibility to vaccine rollout.

Adults over 50 who have had a first dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca can apply to take part in the Com-Cov study.

Their second dose could be the same again, or a shot of Moderna or Novavax.

Chief investigator on the trial Prof Matthew Snape, from the Oxford Vaccine Group, said he hoped to recruit 1,050 volunteers who had already received one dose on the NHS in the past eight to 12 weeks.
Round 3
Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said people will “likely” need a booster dose of a Covid-19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated. His comments were made public Thursday but were taped April 1.

Bourla said it’s possible people will need to get vaccinated against the coronavirus annually.
The comment comes after Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky told CNBC in February that people may need to get vaccinated against Covid-19 annually, just like seasonal flu shots.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:33 pm I wonder why the extreme arm soreness and nasty side effects compared to sauce flu shot?

I guess we didn’t have the time to get all the kinks out compared to other vaccines?

We don’t even know how long these are effective for, correct? Could be 3 months?
1. I have had sauce flu. You do not want it.

2. Getting all the kinks out -- going through the normal authorization process -- takes years. They're being deployed on an emergency basis. Kinks gonna happen.

3. Pfizer and Moderna are evidently effective for six months. We won't know how much longer until they stop being effective -- could be 7 months, could be forever. Both companies are already working on boosters.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

For those of you waiting to exhale, I’m scheduled for my first shot tomorrow morning.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got my first one yesterday. So far I haven't gained and super powers. Arm hurts a little bit but otherwise fine. We'll see if I fair as well with the second one.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote:Got my first one yesterday. So far I haven't gained and super powers. Arm hurts a little bit but otherwise fine. We'll see if I fair as well with the second one.
Got second Moderna yesterday at 11a. Arm sore like after first, and @12hours later, thought I had avoided my wife’s flu like symptoms, but nay: after about 24h, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Weak, woozy, massive fatigue. Hopefully no fever and I’ll be good with a nice nap.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

My fatigue, arm, and muscle aches have resolved. Feeling great!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
naednek

Post by naednek »

And all done. Now let in marinate for 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm kinda jealous that people are getting stickers. I didn't get a sticker. I want a sticker! (All I got was my vaccine card, which I promptly lost.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:02 pm I'm kinda jealous that people are getting stickers. I didn't get a sticker. I want a sticker! (All I got was my vaccine card, which I promptly lost.)
I got a button I AM A GOLDEN GOD
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

disarm wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:27 pm
Kasey Chang wrote:Is losing your sense of smell a COVID symptom? Because I just sorta realized I can't seem to smell much of anything. I put a bottle of Old Spice cologne up to my nose and I barely detected a scent at all...
I know several people who tested positive with loss of smell/taste being their only symptom. It's an unusual thing to happen and very frequent with COVID, so you should definitely get tested if it's anything more than very transient.
I know one person who is typing this very message that had a sudden loss of taste/smell then tested positive.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:02 pm I'm kinda jealous that people are getting stickers. I didn't get a sticker. I want a sticker! (All I got was my vaccine card, which I promptly lost.)
You must have already had a few of those, right?
Conform or be cast out!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You look just like your picture then.
I bet you pay a lot for dentistry.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

First shot (Moderna) this morning. Arm is sore, but no issues otherwise.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I got a sticker that said "Vaccinated Hero," which I wasn't comfortable with. It was designed for frontline/clinical staff. I stuck it on the bulliten board at work.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I got a button too. I’m wicked immune! (well a few days after I finally get shot two anyway)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 am First shot (Moderna) this morning. Arm is sore, but no issues otherwise.
Same vaccine and schedule here.

2nd dose, May 15th.
naednek

Post by naednek »

first day after 2nd shot. feel the same as before. Sore in all my joints.

I promised Ethan I'd take him hiking with his friend. I had to cancel last week as I forgot I was smoking pork shoulders for a family in need and needed to be home to tend to that. So I'm going today stiff or not (hush you pervs) as there won't be any other opportunities until after mother's day.

IBprofen is on it's way after I finish breakfast. no need to add nausea if taken on an empty stomach.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I didn't get a sticker either. :(
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got my 2nd Moderna jab this morning. So far, just a sore arm. Bracing for worse tonight/tomorrow.
Scuzz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 pm
I didn't get a sticker either. :(
No sticker here, either. :oops:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In other news, this ain't great.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Now the real work begins.

I was surprised about the button. I make no money from this, so I'll share if you haven't seen it - dissent pins that allow you to get some flair for vaccination (and any number of other things). I have a "Thanks Science" on the way.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm In other news, this ain't great.
Ars Technica is too much attention grabbing headlines and not enough actual facts. We won't know until there is enough vaccine, especially in the urban areas. We know through surveys that less than half of Republicans intend to get the vaccine and we know that the vaccine is way more popular in urban areas than rural, again from surveys. Being that only 25% of the general population identifies as Republican, and half of them intent to get the vaccine, that's only 12.5% of the population that won't get the vaccine, something Ars Technica conveniently doesn't mention.

At least in CA there is still way more demand than there is supply.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't know how many people in Arkansas are republicans but I do know that except for me and about 6 other people they are all Trump supporters.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

40+ in Ontario are eligible for the AZ vaccine now; while I think it's a bit of a PoS it's still better than 0% coverage and will probably call and get it. The guidelines on this vaccine have been changing by the day, and I guess a bunch of it is about to expire. I'm not worried about the blood clotting thing, but I am wondering when they say "100% effective at preventing hospitalization" if that also means "100% effective at preventing long term lung and heart damage".

We know the mRNA vaccines prevent a lot of problems, not sure if the Bud Light of vaccines does as well.
No.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

FishPants wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 am 40+ in Ontario are eligible for the AZ vaccine now; while I think it's a bit of a PoS it's still better than 0% coverage and will probably call and get it. The guidelines on this vaccine have been changing by the day, and I guess a bunch of it is about to expire. I'm not worried about the blood clotting thing, but I am wondering when they say "100% effective at preventing hospitalization" if that also means "100% effective at preventing long term lung and heart damage".

We know the mRNA vaccines prevent a lot of problems, not sure if the Bud Light of vaccines does as well.
They don't know about preventing long term damage as there simply hasn't been enough time to gather the data. The real problem is that they haven't been able to identify specifically what within the virus is causing that damage and who is most susceptible to it. The scientists and medical folks are only at the beginning of their Covid journey, there remains a ton of stuff they don't know about it (yet).
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

FishPants wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 am 40+ in Ontario are eligible for the AZ vaccine now; while I think it's a bit of a PoS it's still better than 0% coverage and will probably call and get it. The guidelines on this vaccine have been changing by the day, and I guess a bunch of it is about to expire. I'm not worried about the blood clotting thing, but I am wondering when they say "100% effective at preventing hospitalization" if that also means "100% effective at preventing long term lung and heart damage".

Last week, the news were reporting 50 COVID deaths total in vaccinated population in the US, so 100% is definitely an overstatement but 50 total vs 500-1000 a day, so... Also, this morning along with the the hope that J&J will resume distribution next week (FDA and CDC appear to be having tussle ATM), the reports were that the blood clotting complications as reported/studied have all been linked to administering heprin as a response blood plating concerns within the two week period of building an immunity. Assuming AZ and J&J are similar, that's good news. That's understanding and better response.

Lung and heart damage are definitely a concern of mine.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Well I looked at the case rate in the UK and the inverse relationship to # of vaccines given and you can't argue the results of the AZ vax there. Called down to a pharmacy in a little town down the road, they have some and I am scheduled for 3:50pm tomorrow. My wife is waiting to speak to her doctor as she's had a TIA in the past as well as a lot of cancer treatment and surgery; she's not sure if her risks are higher taking the AZ (or at least high enough to warrant waiting a few months for Pfizer).

Man I will feel a lot better when everyone in my family can finally get a vaccine, but it's a start.
No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got my Moderna jab #2 on Saturday, then proceeded to feel like I'd entered the path of a freight train on Sunday. Feeling better today. Glad to have it behind me--now let's get the kids in line.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Caiden got his first Pfizer shot today. That's all four of us. Since we got our Moderna a week ago and second Pfizer is three weeks instead of four, we'll all be getting #2 together.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)