COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:38 pm My eldest and I got our first Moderna today. Michelle was last week. Caiden is a week from today.
So far the only side effect I've had is a little upper arm soreness (very mild) and a brief headache that a couple of ibuprofen knocked out (unusual for me, so probably vaccine related.) I went and worked out, including that arm, and it seemed to help with the soreness.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Woo hoo! As of today, 2 weeks after my second poke, I am fully immunized.

So glad I'll be able to lay out naked at the beach this year.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

J&J vaccine distribution may be put on pause after reports of *checks notes* 6 people out of 6.8 million developed rare and severe blood clots.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 pm Second shot of Modena in arm manifested!!! A little disconcerting when the guy giving the shot strongly advised advil and wished me luck, but otherwise feeling good. Okay, it's passed my lunchtime so I'm really starving, but otherwise good!
Arm is sore this morning - I'd rate it as more sore than last time, but not debilitating. Lifting it above shoulder level feels like a charley horse. No other side effects.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:39 pm Jerry Lee Lawbeef

But on a serious note, Zarathud's wife hipped me to instavaxx and I got my first shot Thursday one day after registering with them. My 2nd shot is scheduled for May 2nd.
She doesn't qualify under 1B/C so refuses to game the system. I could get her in at work, at the very least at the end of the day during "waste time" but she's insistent on following Lori's Law.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure how I gamed the system using that site. I signed up, it asked me for my insurance info (if I had any), age and address and then let me schedule a shot. It didn't make me confirm anything questionable at any point whatsoever.
stessier wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 am
stessier wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 pm Second shot of Modena in arm manifested!!! A little disconcerting when the guy giving the shot strongly advised advil and wished me luck, but otherwise feeling good. Okay, it's passed my lunchtime so I'm really starving, but otherwise good!
Arm is sore this morning - I'd rate it as more sore than last time, but not debilitating. Lifting it above shoulder level feels like a charley horse. No other side effects.
I now emit a pleasant cinnamon odor whenever frightened, but other than that I had no issues.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:
Whew. I was worried you weren’t posting more AAR due to being laid up like my wife was for days.

This is good, if almost absurdly useless anecdotal news to me (my second Moderna jab is scheduled for Thursday).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My arm is pretty sore today from the Moderna yesterday, and I was a bit tired this morning and my stomach felt blah. . It's hard to judge what the fatigue and stomach are from, as I am also on some strong antibiotics due to possible Lyme disease exposure.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 am J&J vaccine distribution may be put on pause after reports of *checks notes* 6 people out of 6.8 million developed rare and severe blood clots.
To follow up on this, J&J appointments for this week are either being cancelled or switched to other vaccines as a result of the pause.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Just got my second shot this morning. After getting ~4.5 hours of sleep (horseshoe crabs like to do it late night). Lack of sleep + 2nd shot = great combination, I'm sure. But most of my family seemed to get through their 2nd shots without too many side-effects, so I'm hopeful our apparently genetically poor immune system will spare me as well.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 am J&J vaccine distribution may be put on pause after reports of *checks notes* 6 people out of 6.8 million developed rare and severe blood clots.
To follow up on this, J&J appointments for this week are either being cancelled or switched to other vaccines as a result of the pause.
Is this as crazy as it sounds?
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 am
Yes. Although I kind of get it, since the anti-vaxxers are sure to 'OMG but safety testing failure!' and stuff.

Thread:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 am
Yes. Although I kind of get it, since the anti-vaxxers are sure to 'OMG but safety testing failure!' and stuff.

Thread:
Alex Berenson is already crowing about how the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines need to be shut down after this J&J pause was announced.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am Alex Berenson is already crowing about how the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines need to be shut down after this J&J pause was announced.
You mean The Pandemic’s Wrongest Man>?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:38 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am Alex Berenson is already crowing about how the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines need to be shut down after this J&J pause was announced.
You mean The Pandemic’s Wrongest Man>?
The one and the same. Sadly, FoxNews keeps giving him a platform to spout his crap.
Hodor.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Second jabbing complete. Hopefully side effects are minimal.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:10 pm Second jabbing complete. Hopefully side effects are minimal.
I got my second Pfizer yesterday too, so far just sore arm again...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My Sister, who lives in the DC area, got the J&J vaccine. The pause is related to blood clots found in women in her age range who've had the J&J, and my Sister said she had a few side-effect symptoms and will be getting tested.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just got notification a Murderna appt opened up so i'm off to get that

EDIT: received vax at the docks, near the cruise ship terminal at Pier 91. the post-appt 'waiting room' was a barbed-wire enclosed parking lot (with no seating) for the Port of Seattle police, lol

EDIT 2: three hours later, i can feel the stiffness creeping into my arm... this might be a doozy.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Narrator: the side effects were not minimal.

Woke up around 1 am this morning with a 103 degree fever, body aches, chills and an inability to sleep, despite the feeling of extreme exhaustion. The fever is coming down but my left shoulder up through my neck is sore AF.
Make up bags of change
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got my second shot yesterday morning. Was generally fine yesterday, just a sore arm. But today I’m sore everywhere and have a headache. And it’s like my body’s nerves are overly sensitive: I awoke in the middle of the night (actually didn’t sleep well at all) with a sharp pain in the middle of my spine. When I put my hand to it I realized it was hurting exactly where one of my cats was lightly resting his paw. Once I removed the paw, it stopped hurting. Weird.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote:Narrator: the side effects were not minimal.

Woke up around 1 am this morning with a 103 degree fever, body aches, chills and an inability to sleep, despite the feeling of extreme exhaustion. The fever is coming down but my left shoulder up through my neck is sore AF.
Which one did you get?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The wrong one, apparently. I've yet to hear of anyone having serious side effects from any of the vaccines. :shock:
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Got my second shot yesterday morning. Was generally fine yesterday, just a sore arm. But today I’m sore everywhere and have a headache. And it’s like my body’s nerves are overly sensitive: I awoke in the middle of the night (actually didn’t sleep well at all) with a sharp pain in the middle of my spine. When I put my hand to it I realized it was hurting exactly where one of my cats was lightly resting his paw. Once I removed the paw, it stopped hurting. Weird.
Sounds less like a vaccine reaction than the possibility that your cat has Scarlet Witch powers.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Narrator: the side effects were not minimal.

Which one did you get?
Pfizer.
Make up bags of change
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon around 4pm and did not even have a sore arm before bed. I’m experiencing some side effects this morning (mild aches and a sore arm and possibly fatigue) but no where nearly as bad as I felt 12 hours after my first dose.

I’m supposed to work at 2pm today and it looks like I will be able tough out my shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Dramatist wrote:I had my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday afternoon around 4pm and did not even have a sore arm before bed. I’m experiencing some side effects this morning (mild aches and a sore arm and possibly fatigue) but no where nearly as bad as I felt 12 hours after my first dose.

I’m supposed to work at 2pm today and it looks like I will be able tough out my shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t know the validity of this, but I’ve heard speculation that people who had Covid react much more intensely to their first shot than their second.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:35 am
stessier wrote:
Whew. I was worried you weren’t posting more AAR due to being laid up like my wife was for days.

This is good, if almost absurdly useless anecdotal news to me (my second Moderna jab is scheduled for Thursday).
Full disclosure - I wound up going home at noon yesterday. I just could not keep my eyes open. I wasn't really hungry, but forced myself to eat an apple and drink some water, then slept from 1-3:30pm. Ate a normal dinner then went to bed at 7:30pm (my normal time) and woke up at 5:30am (after my normal time). I feel fine today though. My arm is still a bit sore if I turn it just the right way, but otherwise fine.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shots are available for everyone here all over town and you can pick and choose which shot to get. But my local family pharmacy isn't listed yet. Ill call tomorrow. Ill wait at least a few weeks to be able to go there. Barring that Ill just get one somewhere else in a month or so.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:35 am
stessier wrote:

Full disclosure - I wound up going home at noon yesterday. I just could not keep my eyes open. I wasn't really hungry, but forced myself to eat an apple and drink some water, then slept from 1-3:30pm. Ate a normal dinner then went to bed at 7:30pm (my normal time) and woke up at 5:30am (after my normal time). I feel fine today though. My arm is still a bit sore if I turn it just the right way, but otherwise fine.
Glad you are already feeling better, thanks for update.

My second is tomorrow. Anyone want to place a bet for or against severe side effects within 8-12 hours? :D
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Leaving the house shortly to get my first dose of Moderna.

Been a long journey for me to get to this point.

My wife is fully vaccinated and my 18 year old son got his first last week.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Xmann wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 pm Leaving the house shortly to get my first dose of Moderna.

Been a long journey for me to get to this point.

My wife is fully vaccinated and my 18 year old son got his first last week.
Awesome!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Is losing your sense of smell a COVID symptom? Because I just sorta realized I can't seem to smell much of anything. I put a bottle of Old Spice cologne up to my nose and I barely detected a scent at all...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:47 pm Is losing your sense of smell a COVID symptom? Because I just sorta realized I can't seem to smell much of anything. I put a bottle of Old Spice cologne up to my nose and I barely detected a scent at all...
Yes - my understanding is that loss of taste / smell is a COVID symptom. Obviously not the only potential cause of that, but depending on how recent / long lasting it is, and whether there's any other reason you can think of why your smell might be impaired, you may want to consider a test.
Last edited by El Guapo on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not only that, it is *the* symptom.

arm still sore today but it is nothing like the flu shot i got last fall, where i couldn’t even sleep on it the first night
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kasey Chang wrote:Is losing your sense of smell a COVID symptom? Because I just sorta realized I can't seem to smell much of anything. I put a bottle of Old Spice cologne up to my nose and I barely detected a scent at all...
I know several people who tested positive with loss of smell/taste being their only symptom. It's an unusual thing to happen and very frequent with COVID, so you should definitely get tested if it's anything more than very transient.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Ok, first shot done. So far, so good.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Nice!

Took awhile, but ended up developing a low grade fever this afternoon. Took some Tylenol that will hopefully knock it down. I’m still optimistic that I’ll be good to go by tomorrow, but who knows.
Black Lives Matter