[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I still don’t personally know of anyone with Covid-19, but just found out today that a friend’s father died of it.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

We moved into our home 10 years ago. For 9 of those years we lived next door to "Mr. Jack", a friendly old man that became a widower about a year after we moved in.
He was a good neighbor.

Last year, his 2 sons moved him out of the house and into a nursing home, and he wasn't really all that happy about it, but accepted their choice.

We learned today that he passed away of Covid-19.
:cry:

His sons are likely feeling pretty 'extra' horrible right now too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Up over 100 employees positive at work (don't know all of them but know a lot). Another death yesterday.

The toll this is taking on those still working in the ERs and ICUs is huge. I don't like the war comparisons but it seems like combat fatigue for a lot of them.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Unagi wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 amHis sons are likely feeling pretty 'extra' horrible right now too.
They did the best they could at the time, and that's not something you should feel guilty about. I expect that in coming years people will be looking at nursing homes with more scrutiny - and maybe cruise ships (though luxury plague ships were problems before COVID-19 and people still went).
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got off the phone with my mom, and my uncle passed this morning after 10 days on a ventilator at IMC. My aunt was able to see him a couple times before she left the hospital, but he was non-responsive because he was so sedated. No one - his wife, his kids, or any of his family - got to say goodbye to him. We will likely have to do a Zoom funeral sometime next week.

There simply are no words. Please stay safe, everyone. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Sorry. :(

I think it's only a matter of time before we all know at least one person who has died from it.
As of last night, I now know a second person who has had it and is recovering for the last month. I'm starting to wonder how many other people I know who have it, and I just haven't learned of it yet.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's heart wrenching, SP. So sorry to hear it.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ugh. So sorry to hear that Skinypupy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:08 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 amHis sons are likely feeling pretty 'extra' horrible right now too.
They did the best they could at the time, and that's not something you should feel guilty about. I expect that in coming years people will be looking at nursing homes with more scrutiny - and maybe cruise ships (though luxury plague ships were problems before COVID-19 and people still went).
Yes, I certainly want to be clear that I don’t put any blame on the sons at all; only meant to say that I could put myself in their place, and I imagine this was and remains a nightmare for them.

And you are right, this is going to put much more scrutiny in the psychology of “is mom/dad ready for a nursing home?”
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 am And you are right, this is going to put much more scrutiny in the psychology of “is mom/dad ready for a nursing home?”
I don't think that's going to be a lasting thing. People consign their elderly to such places for a variety of reasons, some valid (they need around-the-clock care because of illness, infirmity or dementia). Some will do so because caring for them even peripherally is too much of an inconvenience. Maybe the person can get around the house just fine but can't shop for groceries, cut the lawn, take out the trash, whatever. Or maybe it's logistically impossible (they live far away). There are assisted living facilities (think apartment buildings, condos or town home communities that include nursing as one of the offered amenities) for otherwise self-sufficient elderly who are lacking community companionship. There might be some inclined to use nursing homes for the latter, and that is the only time I could see second thoughts. For the most part, people who have the bandwidth to care for their elderly do so anyway; the various motivations for sending them to a facility isn't changing.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sorry for your loss, SP.

I saw a surprising statistic on the news last week that analyzed Covid deaths on the east coast. The most shocking number was more than 50% of those who had to be put on a ventilator succumbed to the disease.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 am Sorry for your loss, SP.

I saw a surprising statistic on the news last week that analyzed Covid deaths on the east coast. The most shocking number was more than 50% of those who had to be put on a ventilator succumbed to the disease.
Yeah, I kinda had the feeling that things would go south when he was put on the ventilator. He had received a plasma donation from someone who had the virus and recovered, but it didn’t make any difference. We got news last night that he had been put on dialysis, which was a pretty big red flag. I had the sinking feeling that the end might not be too far off.

Keep in mind that this was a perfectly healthy 72 year old who had never spent more than one day in a hospital in his entire life (knee surgery a couple years ago). My tolerance for the “masks = tyranny” and “it’s just the flu” crowd has now officially reached “no fucks given” status.

Let your own family members die gasping and alone, then come back and tell me what an awful inconvenience this all is for you.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:30 am My tolerance for the “masks = tyranny” and “it’s just the flu” crowd has now officially reached “no fucks given” status.
I kind of yelled at a co worker yesterday when he voiced support for the fuck heads taking their guns to State buildings.
This is very out of character for me.

I probably won't do it again though. It only made me angrier and he's still a jackass.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can tell you that those sins aren’t feeling great. We had to put put my mother in law in a nursing facility back in November, and they went under lockdown in February. About 70% of the population has tested positive (including her roommate), and about 15% of the resident population has died.

There’s a lot of guilt, but there was no choice in the decision. It sucks.

We also found out today that my wife’s aunt was in the ICU and on a ventilator, and then about an hour later found out that she passed away. I don’t know how long she was in the ICU before anyone told us.

No family was with her. It’s an awful way to go. :(
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Having worked for 16 years very close to Detroit and having a lot of students and coworkers that live in Detroit. Yes. I know people who have it, who had it, who died from it. I'm crying now so I'm going away again for a bit.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 am Just got off the phone with my mom, and my uncle passed this morning after 10 days on a ventilator at IMC. My aunt was able to see him a couple times before she left the hospital, but he was non-responsive because he was so sedated. No one - his wife, his kids, or any of his family - got to say goodbye to him. We will likely have to do a Zoom funeral sometime next week.

There simply are no words. Please stay safe, everyone. :(
:cry:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife came down with a sore throat and a general feeling of shittiness while at work last night. Attempts to get her tested today went for naught, apparently you need to be in the queue before 7 am to have a chance of getting one of the limited tests available that day. And tonight I get to work until after midnight! Might not bother going to sleep.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, that was fast. We both got tested yesterday morning at a drive-up facility run by the National Guard. They said it would be 5-7 days for a result. Almost exactly 24 hours after the test they called back with the results (negative). Meanwhile my wife is out getting another, same-day test. She might get called with her results while waiting for the fast test!

I suppose that means I ought to go back to the office tomorrow. Then again, most of my week is packed with meetings and I'm off on Friday. Maybe I'll just WFH the whole week. My boss already authorized it.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've started going back INTO the office lately. I just can't take working from home every day. It's driving me nuts. However, I'm the only person IN the office...and only one of about 4 people in the entire building that comes in.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was down to 2 people (including myself) in a 6-office suite. But it was "discovered" so now we have a consultant in one of the offices and the C-suite uses the conference room for double secret meetings. I put in a request for a case of Citrace.

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am I've started going back INTO the office lately. I just can't take working from home every day. It's driving me nuts. However, I'm the only person IN the office...and only one of about 4 people in the entire building that comes in.
We're not even allowed if we wanted to. There are eight building on my campus and all but two are completely closed off and the two that are open have access limited to specific staff that are unable to work from home for various reasons.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A couple of people I play golf with were talking on Saturday that they're convinced they had Covid back in January. One admitted he's a conspiracy theorist type, but I'm still gonna put this down as I don't know anyone who personally has, or had, it.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:26 am
hepcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am I've started going back INTO the office lately. I just can't take working from home every day. It's driving me nuts. However, I'm the only person IN the office...and only one of about 4 people in the entire building that comes in.
We're not even allowed if we wanted to. There are eight building on my campus and all but two are completely closed off and the two that are open have access limited to specific staff that are unable to work from home for various reasons.
I think we can go back to the office, but I have no real desire to. I probably should (I'm much more productive from there), but have been enjoying waking up 15 minutes before I start the day. Going back to a commute is gonna suck.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am
I think we can go back to the office, but I have no real desire to. I probably should (I'm much more productive from there), but have been enjoying waking up 15 minutes before I start the day. Going back to a commute is gonna suck.
My agency is still closed, so I am not allowed to go in even if I wanted, but I expect when things do open back up, a large number of people might decide to work at home full time.

Me? I'll be back in once I can. So few people will actually be at the office that it'll be like I have most of a floor to myself.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Today is my first WFH day since this whole thing started (used to do so one a week at least). Last week would have posed a problem as my tech that services the plant I'm at was on vacation all week and I actually had to do some grunt work. This week though, boss actually admitted there is no reason for me to go in and I'm authorized to be in quarantine for 14 days. It's a short week though, I'll just take this week off and notify him of my negative test results on Friday. 8-)
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am A couple of people I play golf with were talking on Saturday that they're convinced they had Covid back in January. One admitted he's a conspiracy theorist type, but I'm still gonna put this down as I don't know anyone who personally has, or had, it.
My wife's family is flouting the restrictions because they all think they had it already. My FIL's birthday was Friday. We dropped him a corn cake which was my concession to the whole thing. We dropped it off, did not go inside, and left pretty quickly. I didn't want to do it but I did say after probably the 500th time I've heard them say they had it already that 'everyone thinks they had it because they had a sniffle in January/February but they probably didn't'. Not specifically addressed to them - more to a the royal 'you' but it is hard not to get mad at people. You are risking people's lives because you're bored. Read a book. Take a break. Jeez.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

1. You probably didn't have it.
2. Even if you did there isn't any guarantee that you're now "immune."

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Add one of my friends (and a lot of friend's friends) to the list of "I think we had it in January coming back from vacation" but is not tested, so I still say no. If all of these people had it in January, "it's the sickest I've ever been" then I'd think we'd have had more of an out break in, well, January... or February... or early March...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:I've started going back INTO the office lately. I just can't take working from home every day. It's driving me nuts. However, I'm the only person IN the office...and only one of about 4 people in the entire building that comes in.
Apparently the ventilation in my office is bad enough that it could be an issue when returning.

Now on month 3 working at home.

For the first month, I worked on the laptop on the couch, but it was causing eye issues and I moved to the home office /30" monitor and the eye issues disappeared.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:1. You probably didn't have it.
2. Even if you did there isn't any guarantee that you're now "immune."
It’s almost certain that no one had it back in January. Based on the hospitalization rate for this virus, and what it does when you’re there, there is no possibility that this was milling about undetected with no one needing hospitalization until April, and then suddenly everyone needs hospitalization.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am
My agency is still closed, so I am not allowed to go in even if I wanted, but I expect when things do open back up, a large number of people might decide to work at home full time.

Me? I'll be back in once I can. So few people will actually be at the office that it'll be like I have most of a floor to myself.
My agency's been 100% WFH since I think mid-March (shortly after the NBA closed). In theory it's possible to go into the office, but you need to get special permission from the heads of the office (which I assume is not readily forthcoming). I've heard no discussion of reopening, but even when that happens, I think it's very likely that they'll be extremely liberal on teleworking (and they're already fairly liberal on that to begin with).
Black Lives Matter.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Just found out about my first one. An ex partner of one of our parents. Met her a couple times.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ugh.

My 80-year-old dad (who is in week six of apparently successful chemo for early-stage pancreatic cancer) was just hospitalized for shortness of breath and low oxygen count.

The hope is that he merely has a respiratory infection rather than Coronavirus. He's in the hospital alone, since my mother can't enter.

EDIT: He was doing better late last night and today. There has been no fever, which suggests no Coronavirus. They tested him, but I don't know what kind they used and if results are back yet.

Best case is that this was fluid in the lungs from an infection, but the cough left him unable to speak at first, which seemed dire.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My summer intern, who is teleworking from Chicago, was diagnosed Friday with Covid-19.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 am
Paingod wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:08 pm
Yes, I certainly want to be clear that I don’t put any blame on the sons at all; only meant to say that I could put myself in their place, and I imagine this was and remains a nightmare for them.

And you are right, this is going to put much more scrutiny in the psychology of “is mom/dad ready for a nursing home?”
Nobody wants to go to a nursing home but not all of them are equal and sometimes it's the best place, as much as I hate them. But depending on how much you are willing to spend and the type of care you need there are some very nice ones.

The strange, or maybe not, thing about nursing homes in this area is that some have been decimated, while others have stayed safe apparently. There have been two homes in the area that have had staff and patients die in horrible numbers, one place had almost 100 people die. While others haven't reported any deaths. It makes you wonder if they were just unlucky or if perhaps they were not the most sterile places to begin with.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even if a place was perfectly 100% clean and they checked the workers coming in each day it would still depend on what those workers did on their off time. The ycould bring it in and not know it and spread it before the first symptoms show up.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:22 pm Even if a place was perfectly 100% clean and they checked the workers coming in each day it would still depend on what those workers did on their off time. The ycould bring it in and not know it and spread it before the first symptoms show up.
Thus why I said unlucky.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Coming in super late to the thread, but I have known several people.
1) Me.
2) My wife
3) My son
4) an uncle
5) A cousin
My wife and I got symptoms at the beginning of April. The day after I started showing symptoms I got a letter from my eye doctor letting me know that one of the nurses in direct contact with me was tested positive. The day after that my wife showed symptoms. 2 days later I find out that my son (who is an EMT) had a patient the week prior to me having symptoms, who decided it would be a good idea not to tell anyone that he had just been released from the hospital for presumed positive (this was before EMS started buckling down on PPE (Personal Protection Equipment). His patient called them the day after to go to the hospital because he felt worse. The patient was later tested and confirmed positive which meant my son had to get tested and he was confirmed positive. So I had direct contact with 2 confirmed positive people with 1 week of me showing symptoms, so my wife and I aren't sure who we got it from. We were never tested but were considered presumed positive because we had many of the same symptoms. cough, headaches, super fatigue (It quite literally knocked us on our ass. We were mostly bedridden for 2 weeks even getting up to the bathroom was a nightmare.) loss of taste and smell. I had a slightly worse thing. Instead of loss of smell, Every time I took a breath in through my nose it literally smelled like a decomposing body (I have lots of first-hand experience with those). We didn't eat for a couple of days, only a ton of Gatorade, then plain white rice.
Even after we recovered enough to move around, the symptoms lingered for almost a month. I still have the nose problem, headaches and fatigue I have to deal with.
My uncle ended up in the ICU but ended up on one of the trials and he recovered (I don't know which one).
My cousin just ended up in the hospital for observation
My son just had a fever and headache for one day and then back to normal (He still had to take 2 weeks off)
Plenty of friends of friends and family of friends that I know as well, including some deaths.
This thing is no joke if it hits you hard enough.
I have wanted to punch many people in the face during this time and I a not a violent person at all. Too many people think this is a joke and being 100-% selfish. Not wearing a mask because you aren't worried about getting it or having it hit you hard means you don't give a shit about anyone else you make contact including friends and " loved ones" loved ones is in quotes because I would argue that if you are willing to put them at risk to die, you probably don't love them as much as you think you do.
I especially want to hit the people bitching about not being able to get a haircut and saying "hey, people are gonna die anyway so what's the big deal" or "It's only old people that need to worry" or it's a small amount of the population that will die" For that last one I really want to know what the number of deaths are that is needed for it to matter to them. Or is it as long as they aren't affected that's all that matters?
anyway... enough of my rant.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wins the thread.

If I were bedridden for two weeks+, there would be no one to take care of me except Wife, who is not what you'd call caretaker material.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 pm Punisher wins the thread.

If I were bedridden for two weeks+, there would be no one to take care of me except Wife, who is not what you'd call caretaker material.
If I were bed ridden for two weeks, I would hope I had two weeks worth of water and instant food next to my bed.

On the bright side, I'm pretty certain if I catch it and I'm not a symptomatic, I'm going to the hospital. Wait... That's not a good.

I still don't know that I know FTF anyone with COVID-19. Which is weird because I live in the hardest hit county of one of the harder hit states in the hardest hit nation... Though a quick search says that my state is "only" at 00.6% of the populace diagnosed as having been infected to date and I don't know 200 FTF much less keep up with that many people. (New York is above 2%, wow)