[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

El Guapo

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:13 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm But neither of us ran a fever, just a cough that wouldn't go away and perhaps the runniest nose I have had in memory.
Fully 1/3 of hospitalized cases never spike a fever.
This is part of what's making me so paranoid. Every ache / mild headache / discomfort I'm like "oof, is this the start of coronavirus for me?" There's so much variation and so many of the symptoms also match other stuff that it's hard to separate out.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:45 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:10 pm But neither of us ran a fever, just a cough that wouldn't go away and perhaps the runniest nose I have had in memory.
This is part of what's making me so paranoid. Every ache / mild headache / discomfort I'm like "oof, is this the start of coronavirus for me?" There's so much variation and so many of the symptoms also match other stuff that it's hard to separate out.
Yeah, Wife bought a thermometer very early on, when we thought that we're fine as long as our temp is normal. While a fever is still cause for concern, the lack of one is not cause for relief.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Neither one of us felt bad enough to visit a doctor, so we probably would have been advised to simply stay at home anyway. It probably was just a bad cold.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My friends mom may have it. She's getting tested today. 102 fever since Tuesday and severe body aches.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote:My friends mom may have it. She's getting tested today. 102 fever since Tuesday and severe body aches.
Nope. Severe kidney infection. She was admitted to the hospital but no covid19.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Yes. As detailed in another thread, one of my oldest friends was an early casualty.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I believe I posted this back in March, but I remember reading the Post and finding out that DC's first casualty to coronavirus was the monk who blessed my house and baptized my second daughter.

Before that, back in February, I had a close call with infection. A scientist I work with had gone into the Lab on Wednesday and I had a question for him. The Lab had already posted social distancing guidelines and said that workers who could work from home could do so. This was to be my last day at work, the rest of the week would be working from home, so I went down to his office and we talked for 5 mins. I made sure not to get closer than 6 feet and didn't touch anything, and made sure to use hand sanitizer when I got back to my desk.

The next day he spikes a fever and emails me that he is going to get tested for COVID-19. I tell my wife this and she quarantines me in my home office. A week later he tells me he tested positive. Luckily I didn't show any symptoms after two weeks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife has kept in touch with a co-worker from her first nursing home job. That coworker went on to get her RN, then moved into management and transferred to their Naperville location. She had been trying to recruit my wife with an offer substantially more than she was making now, but my wife really likes where she is but was considering doing part time work there.

This woman caught Covid and recovered. She was tending Covid positive patients, and came down with a second time. I heard that it's worse the second time around, and she didn't survive this relapse. Among the husband and kids she left behind is a 3-month old baby. My wife was in shock when she got the news, because this woman had been extremely healthy with no prior conditions.

Edit: Turns out this former coworker was at their Bolingbrook location, which is reporting 94 cases and 10 deaths.
Last edited by Jeff V on Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 am My wife has kept in touch with a co-worker from her first nursing home job. That coworker went on to get her RN, then moved into management and transferred to their Naperville location. She had been trying to recruit my wife with an offer substantially more than she was making now, but my wife really likes where she is but was considering doing part time work there.

This woman caught Covid and recovered. She was tending Covid positive patients, and came down with a second time. I heard that it's worse the second time around, and she did survive this relapse. Among the husband and kids she left behind is a 3-month old baby. My wife was in shock when she got the news, because this woman had been extremely healthy with no prior conditions.
Took me a while to get the context, but you meant to say "didn't survive the relapse".
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oops. your right. Fixed.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And my vote just flipped to Yes. Someone I've known since high school (and part of an enduring circle of friends from that time) works as an RN at a nursing home in Hinsdale. She is at home dealing with what she characters as a mild case of Covid, without much respiratory distress. Which is fortunate for her as the last time I saw her she was pushing 300 lbs. I checked the IDPH page of nursing home outbreaks -- her nursing home has 97 confirmed cases and 6 deaths.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My vote just flipped to 'yes' too.
A woman both my wife and I have met separately through previous jobs. She seems to be recovering from Covid itself, but now has a case of Shingles.
It sounds awful, but it's probably better to have it in that order than the other way around.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 am This woman caught Covid and recovered. She was tending Covid positive patients, and came down with a second time...and she didn't survive this relapse.
So, this is going against the whole "immunity being gained afterwards" argument. This is what is really scaring me since I have friends happily embracing a return to restaurants ( they went to a fondue place, no less ) and people complaining about masks.

I haven't seen any reports about relapses, but I've been out of touch this past weekend.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Buatha wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am I haven't seen any reports about relapses, but I've been out of touch this past weekend.
Last week it was reported that relapses were rampant on the East Coast, and that gained immunity was pretty much a busted myth. There were also indications it's deadlier the second time (as in my wife's friend's case). If this turns out the case, we're looking at exponential cases of illness and deaths and shouldn't be trying to "return to normal" anytime before an effective vaccine is created.

BTW, turns out I once attended a birthday party for this dead nurse, so I guess I did know her personally.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Buatha wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am I haven't seen any reports about relapses, but I've been out of touch this past weekend.
Last week it was reported that relapses were rampant on the East Coast, and that gained immunity was pretty much a busted myth. There were also indications it's deadlier the second time (as in my wife's friend's case). If this turns out the case, we're looking at exponential cases of illness and deaths and shouldn't be trying to "return to normal" anytime before an effective vaccine is created.

BTW, turns out I once attended a birthday party for this dead nurse, so I guess I did know her personally.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am

The other theory is that the virus goes into remission and reactivates -- they weren't reinfected, they just didn't fully get over it. But you're right; the herd immunity that some are trying to rush might be fleeting, at best.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 am The other theory is that the virus goes into remission and reactivates -- they weren't reinfected, they just didn't fully get over it. But you're right; the herd immunity that some are trying to rush might be fleeting, at best.
Certainly a plausible theory. If that's the case, they will need to determine what total recovery looks like. The "3 days after fever breaks" might not be cutting it, especially when it comes to sending front-line healthcare workers back into the trenches.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I don’t think that’s how it works.
:P
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am
Well, someone I formally met and shared a celebration with...how would you define it?
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am Last week it was reported that relapses were rampant on the East Coast, and that gained immunity was pretty much a busted myth.
Do you have links for this? I believe you, but I'm trying to convince my "skeptical" family/friends (i.e. people wanting a return to normalcy now).
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 am
Unagi wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am
Well, someone I formally met and shared a celebration with...how would you define it?
You know someone you know. Right?

If you need to be told you once were at their house, that’s probably not the same thing.

I mean, I’m just giving ya a hard time and don’t mean anything by it.

It just sounded funny the way you changed your relationship with the person.

But I also totally get not being a people person and a failing memory.
My wife saying “Well, you should know them, they’re....” is not a foreign phrase to me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The question was "personally know someone." No further qualifiers; not "someone you know well," just personally know. What I remember most about her is how late she was to her own party. My wife and I were ready to leave when she showed up.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think the implication would be that if you cold called them and had to explain how you knew them, you don't 'know' them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Buatha wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 am
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am Last week it was reported that relapses were rampant on the East Coast, and that gained immunity was pretty much a busted myth.
Do you have links for this? I believe you, but I'm trying to convince my "skeptical" family/friends (i.e. people wanting a return to normalcy now).
It was on the news, possibly Meet the Press, possibly The Today Show. I don't think it was the local news. Here's a few articles about it though:

NPR talking about relapses in S. Korea: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... er-recover

The Conversation - https://theconversation.com/can-you-get ... ice-137309

Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 00691.html
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am I think the implication would be that if you cold called them and had to explain how you knew them, you don't 'know' them.
Meh, that would even apply to many girls I slept with over the years. :D I think of it more as zero degrees separation, which includes any casual acquaintances.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was an example, not the only metric. I think "someone I slept with" would qualify as "know".
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least in the biblical sense.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And I'm going to ignore the pronunciation guide:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am The question was "personally know someone." No further qualifiers; not "someone you know well," just personally know. What I remember most about her is how late she was to her own party. My wife and I were ready to leave when she showed up.
I like to think we're adults here and not posting people we "know" just to score points or whatever. You felt strongly enough about this person you met and who died that you posted it here along with a few words of who she was, how you knew her, and how she died. That's good enough for me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

See. You are taking this debate too seriously, ray dude.

Also.
‘this dead nurse’

I think it’s safe to say that Jeff has distanced himself emotionally

But yes. I’m fine with Jeff saying he knew her personally.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue May 05, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am I think the implication would be that if you cold called them and had to explain how you knew them, you don't 'know' them.
Or, at the very least: if the two of you crossed paths in the grocery store (pre-mask era) , would you recognize one another at least enough to look the other way to avoid having to admit you don’t remember their name?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:25 am
Buatha wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 am
It was on the news, possibly Meet the Press, possibly The Today Show. I don't think it was the local news. Here's a few articles about it though:

NPR talking about relapses in S. Korea: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... er-recover

The Conversation - https://theconversation.com/can-you-get ... ice-137309

Independent - https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 00691.html
South Korea reported a few days ago that the reinfections were false positives.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I still don't have anyone I directly know come down with COVID, but my count of "friend of a friend" who has it is growing more and more.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:25 am
With regards to South Korea, at least, this appears to have been testing issues.

A number of reported cases of coronavirus patients relapsing after overcoming the disease were actually due to testing failures, South Korean scientists say.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/sc ... r-BB13tm64
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also that NYC has had by far the worst outbreak in the country so far, but also has had the sharpest drop in new cases, may indicate that there is some immunity effect in play (though that's uncertain, and begs the question of how significant the effect is).
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:Also that NYC has had by far the worst outbreak in the country so far, but also has had the sharpest drop in new cases, may indicate that there is some immunity effect in play (though that's uncertain, and begs the question of how significant the effect is).
News today also indicates that a more contagious version/mutation came from Europe, where it appears most of the NY cases came from.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 pm
El Guapo wrote:Also that NYC has had by far the worst outbreak in the country so far, but also has had the sharpest drop in new cases, may indicate that there is some immunity effect in play (though that's uncertain, and begs the question of how significant the effect is).
News today also indicates that a more contagious version/mutation came from Europe, where it appears most of the NY cases came from.
The jury is definitely out on that one. The paper indicates that there was another strain and it may have been more contagious - an unanswered question from the paper. Or as some suggest it might be a data collection error. Or it might be just be coincidence. We don't know enough yet.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Buatha wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 am This woman caught Covid and recovered. She was tending Covid positive patients, and came down with a second time...and she didn't survive this relapse.
So, this is going against the whole "immunity being gained afterwards" argument. This is what is really scaring me since I have friends happily embracing a return to restaurants ( they went to a fondue place, no less ) and people complaining about masks.

I haven't seen any reports about relapses, but I've been out of touch this past weekend.
I was watching the start of the local news a few days ago and they mentioned that someone had recently recovered but had then relapsed, so it is happening everywhere.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have not heard anything in the NY Metro area about relapses or reinfections. It seems possible that at the end it can appear that there is improvement, and then it all falls apart.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:14 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 pm
The jury is definitely out on that one. The paper indicates that there was another strain and it may have been more contagious - an unanswered question from the paper. Or as some suggest it might be a data collection error. Or it might be just be coincidence. We don't know enough yet.
For those curious - here's the LA Times article, with a link to the paper:
Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.

In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease, the report warned.

The 33-page report was posted Thursday on BioRxiv, a website that researchers use to share their work before it is peer reviewed, an effort to speed up collaborations with scientists working on COVID-19 vaccines or treatments. That research has been largely based on the genetic sequence of earlier strains and might not be effective against the new one.
Bolded the key piece.

And the full site disclaimer:
bioRxiv is receiving many new papers on coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. A reminder: these are preliminary reports that have not been peer-reviewed. They should not be regarded as conclusive, guide clinical practice/health-related behavior, or be reported in news media as established information.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.