Whatcha Stocking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Whatcha Stocking?

Post by Unagi »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:11 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:20 pm Costco had TP and paper towels back in stock. We're set for a while.
Yeah, I noticed that when I was in Costco today.

However the meat shortage was definitely showing, as there was scant selection to choose from. They also had an announcer on a loudspeaker instructing customers to limit meat purchases to 1 package each.

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:41 pm So we're supposed to somehow minimize store trips by greatly increasing the frequency of shopping visits?

Things like steaks are sold individually. I need at least 3 of them when we have steak for dinner.
It was Costco.

I defy you to purchase a 'single steak' at Costco
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:53 pm I defy you to purchase a 'single steak' at Costco
Ah, I have no Costco near me.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote:You know meat production is a MAJOR contributor to global warming. I'm just sayin'.
Tasty, tasty carbon emissions.

And we solved the methane problem. It’s seaweed, remember?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:46 pm You know meat production is a MAJOR contributor to global warming. I'm just sayin'.
Naturally. Ever try to BBQ salad?
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:41 pm So we're supposed to somehow minimize store trips by greatly increasing the frequency of shopping visits?

Things like steaks are sold individually. I need at least 3 of them when we have steak for dinner.
Unless I go to a butcher shop, which we do have one not far away, I have to buy steaks at my local grocery in packs of 2-3-5. The more the cheaper. But the butcher isn't cheap either.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:06 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:46 pm You know meat production is a MAJOR contributor to global warming. I'm just sayin'.
I do grill artichokes, fava beans and zuchinni.

However, I BBQ meat or seafood probably 3-4 nights a week. Especially now that I am home all day.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Made myself a rough $2 version of a germ free door opener kinda like this https://www.amazon.com/Taimot-No-Touch- ... r=8-7&th=1 out of a hairpin hitch pin like this https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Tension- ... 053&sr=8-2 by cutting off the curvy leg and bending a hook into the end of the straight leg. Lots of pounding with a big hammer and vice left it able to be used but kind of ugly. Probably better just buying a pretty one. I think I could hang my weight from mine though. LOL
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Too bad those aren't made of copper.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:13 pm Aren't dirty/bad a/c systems one of the causes of Legionairre's Disease?
Speaking of Legionaire's Disease, several years ago, we attended a wedding in Albany NY. Upon arriving at our hotel and preparing to check in, we were told the hotel had a legionaire's outbreak. Many of our relatives were booked there and upon learning this, there was a mad scramble to switch everyone to a neighbouring hotel.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Went to one of the local stores this morning. Lots of meat.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 pm Went to one of the local stores this morning. Lots of meat.
Enough about the other customers. What where the shelves like?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Lots of food in Chinatown. With masks on, nobody is really following the 6 ft rule. I bought 42 bucks worth of stuff, and it's like 6-7 varieties of vegies (many are Asian only), pork ribs, pork bacon cut, tofu, and quite a few other stuff.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The weekend we had king crab, filet mignon, and baby back ribs. Meijer had a ration limit on bacon but a case full of it. Chicken wings have been nowhere to be found in a couple of weeks though.

The only shortage that really annoyed me yesterday was the complete lack of store-brand hotdog buns. As far as my kids go, a bun is a bun, and a pack of $1.50 buns is no different than $3.00 buns. But all they had was the latter. :x

They did have plenty of cheap hamburger buns though.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Speaking of which, bought some f***ing HUGE bundles of spinach in Chinatown the other day. I mean, I'm used to the smaller variety of spinach, not baby spinach, but a bundle shouldn't be more than 10-12 inches long, right? At least that's the stuff I bought in supermarkets.

I swear these spinach bundles are like f***ing 2-2.5 feet long with HUGE leaves. For a moment I didn't even recognize them as spinach, until I saw the hint of purple on the roots. So, giant spinach? Yep, that's what they are... Imagine this, but the whole stalk with roots.

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Time for my Monday blue state grocery store update. Illinois now requires masks in public where social distancing is not feasible, and the store had signs at the doors saying masks were required. Compliance appeared to be 100% (with the exception of one toddler who was holding her mask as she sat in the cart). The store has also now instituted one-way aisles, but compliance with this was less successful. Shelves were mostly well stocked, but still missing some things. Meats were plentiful, as was toilet paper. Paper towels appeared to be down this week, but we don't need any at the moment. I couldn't find any sponges (for things like cleaning the kitchen or bathrooms) which was annoying.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've had grilled salad before.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:03 pm
I've grilled endive and radicchio before, but over all an insignificant amount compared with meat. Or fish. I grill corn, potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, peaches, plums and asparagus as far as plant matter goes, but that's not really salad. And I only grill those when I'm also grilling some sort of meat. Or fish. Or shrimp.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And here in this red state, masks were probably about the same as before. Maybe 30-40%, with males 20-50 being the least likely to be wearing them. The Budweiser crowd was pretty much mask-free. Most things were in stock to one degree or another with notable shortages here and there (frozen pizzas are still few and far between.) The toilet paper aisle was stocked with charcoal. I didn't actually see where they'd moved the TP, as I didn't need any. One way aisles are still being ignored. Not coincidentally most of the people with masks were going the right way, while most of the offenders were unmasked. One really weird thing is that they don't lay out their one way aisles sequentially: North, south, north, south, north, north, south. It makes it hard to get to what you need.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:45 pm The toilet paper aisle was stocked with charcoal.
Oof, that's gotta be rough. Not sure a black rally-stripe is any less disgusting as a brown one.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:21 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:03 pm
I've grilled endive and radicchio before, but over all an insignificant amount compared with meat. Or fish. I grill corn, potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, peaches, plums and asparagus as far as plant matter goes, but that's not really salad. And I only grill those when I'm also grilling some sort of meat. Or fish. Or shrimp.
So did you grill or BBQ these salad items? There is some confusion here...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Even though I know that 'chefs' will tell you there is a difference (temperature, time), I've never lived anywhere that the distinction was made by normal people. Most people use them interchangeably.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ollie's has hand sanitizer if you need some and live near one of these locations
https://www.ollies.us/great-deals/hand- ... ct-stores/
33.8 ounces for $9.99 isn't too bad.
It might be in an unlisted store as well. My store isn't on the list, but they have it in stock.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:42 pm So did you grill or BBQ these salad items? There is some confusion here...
Bad habit I know using the terms interchangeably. The salad items are grilled.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 am
Z-Corn wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:42 pm So did you grill or BBQ these salad items? There is some confusion here...
Bad habit I know using the terms interchangeably. The salad items are grilled.
A grilled Caesar salad is wonderful!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:59 pm Even though I know that 'chefs' will tell you there is a difference (temperature, time), I've never lived anywhere that the distinction was made by normal people. Most people use them interchangeably.
I grew up where BBQ = grilling. I live where BBQ = pulled pork/ribs/whatever and a sweet sauce. Different worlds.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:59 pm Even though I know that 'chefs' will tell you there is a difference (temperature, time), I've never lived anywhere that the distinction was made by normal people. Most people use them interchangeably.
I grew up where BBQ = grilling. I live where BBQ = pulled pork/ribs/whatever and a sweet sauce. Different worlds.
IIRC, when I was growing up, the appliance used was formally called "The BBQ Grill." Then there's the Aussie term "barbie" referring to the cooking appliance. BBQ is derived from barbacoa, which is a method of cooking, not referred to the appliance itself. And while you might grill a salad, you wouldn't slow-cook it over open fire (which is what that method refers to).
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Yea, around here the terms BBQ and grilling are interchangeable, at least as far as in home cooking goes. When you eat at a restaurant they are not the same thing.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My first grocery run in >2 weeks was successful. No wait for admittance, and I got everything on my list. There was no ground beef when I arrived, but they restocked it while I was there; now I've got enough burger patties in the freezer to last all summer. The meat cases looked pretty spotty overall, but I wasn't looking for anything except burger. Frozen food cases were mostly empty, and of course there's still no toilet paper or paper towel...but we bought some online, so I didn't need any. Mask compliance was 100% except for one woman who wore hers on her chin so as to technically comply with the law without actually inconveniencing herself, and the one-way aisles were largely ignored.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Scuzz wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 pm
Yea, around here the terms BBQ and grilling are interchangeable, at least as far as in home cooking goes. When you eat at a restaurant they are not the same thing.
I'm not sure about what others say. if I use BBQ as a verb then it means grilling. If it's used as a noun, it means there is an event around grilling outdoors. If it is an adjective, it describes one of a few different ways to season. The one is the sweet sauce you describe aka KC style.

I can go to a BBQ where they are BBQing veggies on a spit or skewer al a shish kabob but I've never had BBQ'ed peppers.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've always thought of BBQ as seasoning and grill. Grilling is just well............grilling.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To me, BBQ is slathered in sauce, either sugary (don't like) or vinegary (like). Grilled is just cooked over an open flame. Grilled meats can be dry rubbed, marinated, or plain.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:59 pm To me, BBQ is slathered in sauce, either sugary (don't like) or vinegary (like). Grilled is just cooked over an open flame. Grilled meats can be dry rubbed, marinated, or plain.
That's definitely the prevailing viewpoint I encountered when I lived in the Boston area. Growing up in California, the terms were interchangeable.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

People come to blows over BBQ arguments. They don't over grilling ones.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And as I learned from watching the Food channel every part of the country thinks they're the center of the BBQ empire.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:04 pm And as I learned from watching the Food channel every part of the country thinks they're the center of the BBQ empire.
New England has no such illusions. Opinions, sure.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was able to fill most of my shopping list today. Notable exception:

Dawn dish soap. 2 Menards, 2 Meijers, none available.

Linguini. Every other form factor of pasta was available...except linguini. WTF am supposed to do with the clam sauce (which was in abundance)?
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Noted that CVS now had Liquid Hand Sanitizer available up by the cash register. I've seen three different new sources of hand sanitizer brands I've never seen before, so I think there are some production companies doing a pretty good job of changing things up to provide needed materials and getting it out to the retail stores.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 pm I was able to fill most of my shopping list today. Notable exception:

Dawn dish soap. 2 Menards, 2 Meijers, none available.
You couldn't have slummed with Palmolive or something?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:55 am You couldn't have slummed with Palmolive or something?
Do my fingers look like they need a spa treatment?

I think they had one or two bottles of store-brand crud. I already have some of that, it's just about useless.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Weekly run this morning, and again compliance was 100% with masks. There was less compliance with the one-way lanes, but it wasn't as bad as last week. Shelves seemed fully stocked except for some cleaning supplies, but I wasn't buying any meat this week so I didn't peruse the meats section.
That's my purse! I don't know you!