Disney+'s Marvel Serieses and de facto WandaVision Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Disney+'s Marvel Serieses and de facto WandaVision Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Polygon
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier kicks off this August, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced on a Disney earnings call. ... WandaVision, originally scheduled for 2021, will now arrive on Disney Plus in December of this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Re: Disney+'s Marvel Serieses

Post by AWS260 »

WandaVision trailer. Comes out in December.

Falcon & The Winter Soldier has been pushed to next year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Might be neat but Id like a Happy Coulson show.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We're about to get into season 2 of the Mandalorian, yet we haven't had one second of any of the Marvel shows.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We will stop no crime before its time.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its funny but why is he working drunk?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Because he's Orson Welles, damnit, and he's not just going to endorse any old wine. He's going to thoroughly sample the product to ensure it is worthy of his endorsement before filming.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As a side note, those Orson Welles vignettes from his later years, while still funny, make me a bit sad. I was a huge fan of Welles when I was in college after reading one of his biographies and becoming fascinated with this American genius. And I mean genius in the fullest sense of the word. He did things that revolutionized the screen and stage. Citizen Kane alone changed the way cinematographers worked for generations.

But then to see the broken, overweight shell of his former self that Hollywood (and to be fair, his own hubris) created is just sad and tragic.

If you ever feel the desire to read about someone who lived a full and fascinating life, I highly recommend checking out one of his biographies (my favorite being Peter Bogdanovich's This is Orson Welles...although that's more a series of discussions he had with Orson while Orson lived with him in his later years).
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I agree. Watching him at his worst is sad. He was a dynamo for a long time.
I feel the same way about Brando. At some point he stopped caring. I saw an interview with Christopher Reeve on Letterman that he gave during the Superman years where he really criticized Brando's take-the-money-and-run attitude, stating how sad it was that this man, who had so much to teach younger actors, now cared so little for the art.

Found it.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

McNutt wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm Found it.
Holy crap, he didn't hold back. I can't believe he said that stuff on national TV. And 53, Marlon Brando at 53? That seems so young now. I always pictured him at around 65 when he made those movies. :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

"616 stories." Looks to be a series of mini-documentaries about Marvel topics. Based on the trailer I'd say that one is about the new Ms. Marvel (saw Sana Amanat and G. Willow Wilson in there), one is about cosplay, and one is about Japanese Spider-Man. And one is about Paul Scheer?

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I watched the first couple of episodes of "616" this evening. One's about the Japanese Spider-Man TV show, and the other covers the history of female creators at Marvel. Very different episodes, but both were really well-done and heartwarming.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

WandaVision is a weird one. Weird and a little creepy. I like it so far (only the first two episodes are streaming).
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm still working my way through the Marvel movies (Black Panther is up next!). Should I finish the movies before watching WandaVision?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 am I'm still working my way through the Marvel movies (Black Panther is up next!). Should I finish the movies before watching WandaVision?
I would say yes. If only to establish certain relationships.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

In the case of WandaVision, I'd say definitely finish Infinity War before watching the show.

Disney+ has another new series called "Legends" that is just short synopses of individual Marvel heroes' storylines across the movies. No new content, just clips from previous movies stitched together. Wanda Maximoff and Vision are the first two, of course. It was a helpful refresher, and a reminder that for all its flaws, Age of Ultron had some great character moments.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Wandavision despite the weirdness of the whole thing, but there's really no indication yet of where the show is going. The production quality is high and the acting is great though; Olsen and Bettany play off each other very well. While I have no idea what's really happening, I'm very interesting in finding out.

One little thing I didn't realize before I started watching...the episodes are only 30 minutes, and we only get nine. Whatever story they're going to tell is going to unfold very quickly because they only have 4.5 hours.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'm digging WandaVision for the reason that it so completely different than anything that the MCU has done before. I also imagine there will be some backlash for this same reason. There is, of course, the obvious ode to sitcom history (which is very well done), but there's also a thread of a deeper, darker plot that pulls things along.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:05 am In the case of WandaVision, I'd say definitely finish Infinity War before watching the show.
+100. If this is going where I think it might, it could contain phase-breaking spoilers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I didn't care for the 2 episodes, but I'm willing to hold on for the payout.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I liked it, but was surprised they didn't get more into what's really going on by ep2 given this is a short series. Not that I mind a slow build up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like Legion helped tv show developers realize that you can do more with superheroes than simply make them fight.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Has there been an MCU movie that didn't climax with a hero-villain brawl? It's not always the primary antagonist, or fisticuffs, or the functional climax, but I can't think of one that doesn't. It's probably telling that I can't remember how half these films end and I only have a lingering feeling of being underwhelmed by most of them. Some of them drip out of the mold, but none of them shatter it. Ant-Man may be a "heist movie", but it still culminates in the fight with baldy and the trainset. And I mean, it's based on comics, what do I expect. But there've been some pretty out-there and interesting books especially in the past 30 years, haven't there? Though maybe not as many main-universe ones. I guess that's why the potential with television is so great. It would just be nice to see some of that translate to the big screen, also.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So I was very apprehensive about this series. I never read much of the Vision/Scarlet Witch series but was vaguely familiar with their various storylines throughout the comics. So I know where they might be going with all of this. (But as we know - MCU likes to swerve from expectations. Thanks Skrulls.). Yet, I was really skeptical about the sitcom settings and such, and wasn't sure I was going to like the series.

I found it to be entertaining, even though it's still just a matter of waiting for the payoff. I'm looking forward to Falcon/Winter Soldier more.

And what do y'all think about the Chris Evans rumors? Truth to them, or is he being honest when he tweeted that it was news to him?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Just watched episode 3 of WandaVision, and things are getting weirder. I'm really enjoying this show.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote:Just watched episode 3 of WandaVision, and things are getting weirder. I'm really enjoying this show.
Same here! It's both a wonderful homage to the comedy shows I watched as a kid blended with being a strong Twilight Zone episode.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:27 am
AWS260 wrote:Just watched episode 3 of WandaVision, and things are getting weirder. I'm really enjoying this show.
Same here! It's both a wonderful homage to the comedy shows I watched as a kid blended with being a strong Twilight Zone episode.
I was a little disappointed in the first two eps, but the third one really hit the spot. For fans of the comics, seeing the twins in this configuration was really exciting. There are all sorts of teases and hints, but it's impossible to tell where they are heading.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Wanda in the comics, there was a major comic arc called "House of M" many years ago, where she basically changed the entire universe (it involved her kids, I don't remember the details) and no one really knew what was going on. Just to indicate how powerful she is in the comics. I have no idea if they are going anywhere near that route here, but I'm really excited to see how it unfolds.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I watched the first three episodes. There is definitely something there that interests me, but I don't know if it interests me enough to put up with this show-in-a-show format. I really can't take much more of that.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:40 pm I watched the first three episodes. There is definitely something there that interests me, but I don't know if it interests me enough to put up with this show-in-a-show format. I really can't take much more of that.
Boy, I'm right there with you.
Premise was okay for the first few episode, but they better move past it and start getting into the meat of the series.
The way things are progressing, seems like they dont have much choice.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We're a third of the way through it, and internet buzz is that it's going to tie directly into the next Doctor Strange film.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Isgrimnur wrote:We're a third of the way through it, and internet buzz is that it's going to tie directly into the next Doctor Strange film.

Well Bettany wasn't lying...

I'll hold back on saying much else until other people have a chance to watch...but now we're getting somewhere!

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Avenger side characters, assemble!
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

If anybody has been on the fence with this one due to the whole "where are they going with this?" thing, definitely stick with it through episode 4.

Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Wow. Was not expecting an episode 98% outside the bubble. I do appreciate it, though, as there was only so long that they could push the purely sitcom conceit. Waaaaay more context now though we still don't know exactly what triggered this. Monica clearly believes it is all Wanda at the end though. Also, of note, Monica doesn't seem to have any powers (yet?)

It was also nice to see an alternate take of the "reverse snap." In Spiderman: Far from Home it was treated as kind of a joke. Here, we got to see more of the traumatic side.

Really looking forward to next week though I suspect it'll go back for a more sitcom-y focus.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:We're a third of the way through it, and internet buzz is that it's going to tie directly into the next Doctor Strange film.

Feige confirmed the Dr Strange tie in last year.

I’m loving this show so far. Of the Marvel Disney+ series, this was the one I was most excited for and it’s delivering.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Episode 4 kept me from giving up on the show. It's finally going somewhere. I'm not in love with the show, but I'll stay with it.
Spoiler:
I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see Kat Dennings in this show. I absolutely hated every second her character spoke in Thor and it wasn't much better here. Something about her dialogue and delivery rubs me the wrong way.

I know nothing about Monica. Was she in a movie or just in the comics?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:Episode 4 kept me from giving up on the show. It's finally going somewhere. I'm not in love with the show, but I'll stay with it.
Spoiler:
I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see Kat Dennings in this show. I absolutely hated every second her character spoke in Thor and it wasn't much better here. Something about her dialogue and delivery rubs me the wrong way.

Spoiler:
Monica is the little girl from Captain Marvel. You could briefly hear Brie Larson saying “Lieutenant Trouble” right at the beginning of the episode when came back from the blip.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:04 am Episode 4 kept me from giving up on the show. It's finally going somewhere. I'm not in love with the show, but I'll stay with it.
Spoiler:

Sounds like you’re coming to the show without having watched much of the previous Marvel movies. This series really does rely on having knowledge of those. More so than most tv spin offs I’d say. Get thee hence and acquire that knowledge in a beautiful, week long binge session! :D
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I believe the only one I haven't seen is the second Ant Man movie. I read msteelers spoiler and I have indeed seen that movie, but I found that one so uninteresting and forgettable that I can't recall that character. I think I was just taken with the total lack of charisma of the main character. It was like watching a female Sam Worthington.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because she didn’t smile enough for you?
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was originally going to skip WandaVision because I thought the general premise looked lame. Glad I didn’t, as I’ve really enjoyed the way they’ve slowly pieced it all together over 4 episodes.

It certainly requires some knowledge of characters that I was a bit lacking in (I had no idea who Kat Denning’s character was, and could only vaguely remember the other agent from Ant Man), but I’m finding it pretty compelling regardless. Can’t wait to see where they take it from here.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.