Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Star Trek Voyager is 25

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.startrek.com/gallery/star-t ... ears-later

Congrats to Voyager crew. :)

First episode date: January 16, 1995
Final episode date: May 23, 2001

That hits ya dont it? 25 years. Doesn't usually seem that far back until you think on it. Actors that were 30 are 55 and 45 are 70. My wife would buy me a pizza each week to cook just for Voyager. Id have it ready and sit in the middle of the bed and eat it while watching the ep each week. Fun memories. The show was knocked when it came out but I always enjoyed it. Some eps are real standouts too.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Re: Star Trek Voyager is 25

Post by Blackhawk »

It had its moments, and it had characters I liked, but I still think it is the weakest of any of the Star Trek series.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched it all, but I couldn't tell you about more than maybe 3 or 4 episodes if pressed. Conversely, all you need to do for TOS, TNG or DS9 is bring up a character name and I'll probably remember most of that episode, if not all.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 pm It had its moments, and it had characters I liked, but I still think it is the weakest of any of the Star Trek series.
You really think Discovery is better than Voyager??? Ugh.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Where is 7 of 9?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 pm It had its moments, and it had characters I liked, but I still think it is the weakest of any of the Star Trek series.
You really think Discovery is better than Voyager??? Ugh.
Voyager had whole seasons that dragged, and they used the Big Red Button in Engineering way, way too often. You know: there's an inescapable situation. Other Treks would show human ingenuity and spirit overcoming it, but in Voyager? B'elanna would always reroute the EPS conduits into the warp matrix and push the Big Red Button that instantly solved the problem. Every time. No finding common ground, no ingenuity, no storytelling, just a zero-payoff Big Red Button. Like I said, it had its episodes, but it just didn't work.

I think Voyager's biggest flaw was that it set up a story that was dependent on progression and character development, but was forced to produce it in the TNG style of standalone episodes where everything reset after each episode. DS9 and B5 had already shown that serial shows could work, and Voyager could have been ten times the show it was if they'd been allowed to run it that way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:58 pmI do.
I dont think theres a help number for you to call. Im very sorry :) Support group? Therapy? :)
Where is 7 of 9?
She didn't join until a few seasons later when Kes left. Kes was so cute. But lets not discuss what happened to the actress that played her. Something is not right there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:58 pmI do.
I dont think theres a help number for you to call. Im very sorry :) Support group? Therapy? :)
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good old Kneelicks. Great cook and conversationalist.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I watched it all too. The main problem I had with it was they were on a linear trip to get home, yet there were recurring adversaries. You'd think that after a few seasons, they'd have passed out of ones particular territory.

I liked a lot of the characters on the show, but Kate Mulgrew was a little wooden for the first 3 seasons or so. I definitely enjoyed the later seasons more than the earlier ones, but unlike ToS, TNG, and DS9, I haven't watched it at all in syndication.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did a full Trek watch about ten years ago. TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, all in order. Voyager is the only one I haven't gone back to after finishing it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Every character just seemed like cut rate versions of other characters from previous shows. They had half price Worf (Torres), bargain basement Spock (Tuvok), reasonably priced number two (Chokatay), 40 percent off Sulu (Paris) and 3 for 1 sale Picard (Janeway).

Yeah, I really dislike Voyager.

And completely agree with JeffV. Reoccurring characters made no sense unless they were from civilizations with territories that extended 2000 light years and were 20 feet wide.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And, Daehawk? There is nothing wrong with liking a series everyone else hates. I do it all the time (as Hepcat will tell you.) Entertainment is for fun, and fun is subjective.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I liked Voyager. Although I actually prefer the first 4 seasons or so. After that, I got tired of 7 of 9 being the center of almost every episode.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Borg implants assimilated ratings.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:09 am And, Daehawk? There is nothing wrong with liking a series everyone else hates. I do it all the time (as Hepcat will tell you.) Entertainment is for fun, and fun is subjective.
Except when you tell me I'm being unreasonable for disliking something. :P
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:53 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:09 am And, Daehawk? There is nothing wrong with liking a series everyone else hates. I do it all the time (as Hepcat will tell you.) Entertainment is for fun, and fun is subjective.
Or when I tease you for being too picky when I am well aware that I tend to be under-picky. :oops:
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:53 pm
No comment.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:59 pm No comment.

I'm sorry that I can't agree with you that the Resident Evil movies should have won the last Golden Globes and an Oscar. I just don't see how they're an analogy of globalism in a rapidly expanding nationalistic world.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And now to outright attack Resident Evil.....oh wait thats ok.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:53 pm Except when you tell me I'm being unreasonable for disliking something. :P
I have no idea what that must be like.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Part of the reason grad school sucked is that I didn't have cable, just a small TV with a VCR. I missed most of TNG, DS9, and Voyager at the time because most of my friends were in the same boat.

I've tried to play catch-up with TNG and DS9, but the Voyager I've seen has never drawn me in.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:18 pmI watched it all, but I couldn't tell you about more than maybe 3 or 4 episodes if pressed.
That's kinda how I feel about Voyager too. I remember liking it for the most part while I was watching (at least enough that I didn't abandon the series), but...
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:18 pmConversely, all you need to do for TOS, TNG or DS9 is bring up a character name and I'll probably remember most of that episode, if not all.
OK, how about Balok?
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You all hatez womenz.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

I really like Voyager.

Neelix is super annoying -- maybe even worse than Wesley. But I really like the rest of the crew and I thought Janeway was a great captain. I really liked the Holographic Doctor a lot too.

Also as far as bad episodes go, I tried rewatching TNG from the start a year or two ago. That entire season one of TNG is full of absolutely awful episodes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:18 pmI watched it all, but I couldn't tell you about more than maybe 3 or 4 episodes if pressed.
That's kinda how I feel about Voyager too. I remember liking it for the most part while I was watching (at least enough that I didn't abandon the series), but...
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:18 pmConversely, all you need to do for TOS, TNG or DS9 is bring up a character name and I'll probably remember most of that episode, if not all.
OK, how about Balok?
:lol:

Tranya for everyone!
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:15 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:53 pm Except when you tell me I'm being unreasonable for disliking something. :P
I have no idea what that must be like.

Your dislikes are unreasonable though. You hate the Amish. Don't make me break out the list! :P
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Neelix is super annoying -- maybe even worse than Wesley. But I really like the rest of the crew and I thought Janeway was a great captain. I really liked the Holographic Doctor a lot too.
Neelix could annoy true. The Doctor was my favorite character but I also grew to enjoy Paris a lot and even Chakotay. I really liked the Captain Proton holodeck adventures.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't remember Voyager very well, but I don't think I liked it much. Starfleet lets a woman drive; she gets lost. Every time she stops to ask for directions, it ends badly.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 pm
Hrdina wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:57 pm
OK, how about Balok?

Tranya for everyone!
Careful, Tranya can mess you up.
Conform or be cast out!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:58 pm You all hatez womenz.
(unless they have big boobz)

I loved Voyager even though it definitely had its issues. It seemed like they had trouble deciding on the direction, and were too influenced by outside forces. Fans hated them being stuck in one sector, but clearly the original intent was to build up multiple new factions in a totally different part of the universe. So since that tanked they get whisked off. But ratings still were poor so they tried everything: time travel, Borg, etc etc. It was a fun ride and there were some really good single episodes. I suspect though if it were made in this day and age when you get to make a whole season without external influence it would have been a much better show.

Anyway, anyone else as excited as I am for the return of Jeri Ryan in Picard????
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:13 pm
Neelix could annoy true. The Doctor was my favorite character but I also grew to enjoy Paris a lot and even Chakotay. I really liked the Captain Proton holodeck adventures.
I liked Chakotay - I thought that he was the strongest character.

Overall I thought Voyager was fine. It had its moments and some decent episodes, but overall I recall it being fairly bland (though I haven't watched it in many years). I like Discovery (with its flaws) more, though I don't think we can do a fair comparison until Discovery finishes its run (however long that will ultimately be).

But really, the only really great Star Trek TV show was DS9. Everything else has some great episodes, but pales in comparison as a complete body of work.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Overall I thought Voyager was fine. It had its moments and some decent episodes, but overall I recall it being fairly bland (though I haven't watched it in many years). I like Discovery (with its flaws) more, though I don't think we can do a fair comparison until Discovery finishes its run (however long that will ultimately be).

But really, the only really great Star Trek TV show was DS9. Everything else has some great episodes, but pales in comparison as a complete body of work.
Bear in mind that it took DS9 three or four seasons to hit its stride. When it originally aired, I dropped out before it got there, and I didn't appreciate it until I binge-watched the whole thing just a few years ago.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Bear in mind that it took DS9 three or four seasons to hit its stride. When it originally aired, I dropped out before it got there, and I didn't appreciate it until I binge-watched the whole thing just a few years ago.
Yeah, DS9 only really became great once they started to get into the Dominion story arc.
Black Lives Matter.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

TNG was and is Great.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 pm TNG was and is Great.
Except for Season One which has an awful lot of terrible episodes. I just finished watching Datalore (Season 1, Episode 13) last night (trying to catch up on key Picard, Seven of Nine, and Data episodes before Star Trek Picard comes out). I was really enjoying it and then in the last 15 minutes Wesley figures everything out, everyone ignores him and disaster looms, but Wesley ends up saving the day. Ugh.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

It started out a little rough, but I’d still take TNG’s early camp, over DS9’s early dreariness. I know that I really shouldn’t post in this thread, because I have never cared for DS9 overall. Yes, I’ve seen the entire series, including THAT episode, and THAT one, too. Miles and Bashir were the only main characters that I actually cared about (Garak was the most interesting character on that show). I always thought Terry Farrell was a mediocre actress, Avery Brooks was decent, but I never bought into Sisqo as a consistent character. Odo and Kira? Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Word doesn’t count because he was TNG. The Dominion storyline was decent, but Star Trek comes down to the characters, and This crew didn’t do it for me.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The best character on DS9 was...
Spoiler:
DS9
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

We're doing a DS9 rewatch right now, and my wife LOVES Sisko.

I watched Voyager when it aired, and I got really tired of it after a few seasons. I mean, I was a teenager and I resented them adding Seven of Nine because it was such an obvious ploy for eye candy.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!