RIP Neil Peart

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: RIP Neil Peart

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm starting with the eponymous 1974 album.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Note that Neil did not play on that album.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:Note that Neil did not play on that album.
A very Peart-inent fact.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've already slid into Fly by Night.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

God, I listened to Exit Stage Left over and over and over again.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In reading up on him (I'm a fan of Rush, but not a crazy uber fan), I had no idea that Neil actually decided in the 1990s that he needed to take drumming lessons and expand his repertoire. We should all be so wise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:33 pm In reading up on him (I'm a fan of Rush, but not a crazy uber fan), I had no idea that Neil actually decided in the 1990s that he needed to take drumming lessons and expand his repertoire. We should all be so wise.
Who the hell does Neil Peart go to for lessons? And how intimidating would it be to have him as a student?

RIP :(
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:In reading up on him (I'm a fan of Rush, but not a crazy uber fan), I had no idea that Neil actually decided in the 1990s that he needed to take drumming lessons and expand his repertoire. We should all be so wise.
I saw an interview with him in 2012 where he mentioned that he was grateful to still have his ability at that age, and that he felt he was still getting better.

He also wrote most of the band's lyrics, as I'm sure most of you know.

He had also been through quite a lot of loss in his family back in the 90s.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Exodor wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:33 pm In reading up on him (I'm a fan of Rush, but not a crazy uber fan), I had no idea that Neil actually decided in the 1990s that he needed to take drumming lessons and expand his repertoire. We should all be so wise.
Who the hell does Neil Peart go to for lessons? And how intimidating would it be to have him as a student?

Lol.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Exodor wrote:

Freddie Gruber, jazz drummer
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

July 30, 2011 Rush Time Machine Tour
Moat_Boy and Moat_Girl's first concert

January 10, 2020 Moat_Man's basement

Yeah it's a sad day. :(
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm
A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:08 pmWhat is your favorite?
It varies, they have way too many great albums. Maybe Permanent Waves, because it was my first. I think a huge reason why I don't like Hemispheres is Cygnus X1 - it is a pretty amazing piece, but I find it too jarring and unmelodic to my ears. I can understand how Hemispheres could be someone's favorite if they really enjoyed that piece however.

I'd probably recommend one of the Live albums for a n00b, just to make sure they get a drum solo! I didn't have Rush in Rio, so I just grabbed it and will listen on the way home from work tonight ( think I only have Exit Stage Left and A Show of Hands, for Live stuff)!

My favorite underappreciated album by them (post their pop-heyday carryover from Moving Pictures/Signals, but excluding Clockwork Angels) is Presto.

One thing I found for me about Rush, was that you really needed to give any album by them multiple listens, they would vary their musical styles so much from album to album that it would take a bit of an investment to truly grasp what they were doing in a new album. It may just be that I never gave Hemispheres enough of that chance, the Trees and La Villa Strangiato are two of my favorites, so I don't think so.

Roll the Bones is probably my second least favorite Rush album, FWIW.
But.... Cygnus X-1 is on A Farewell to Kings, not Hemispheres. Also, it's awesome.

The song "Hemispheres" is subtitled Cygnus X-1 Book II.

The Hemispheres album only has 4 songs: Hemispheres, Circumstances, The Trees, and La Villa Strangiato. It's an almost perfect album.

That said, my favorite Rush album varies depending upon mood, but is a tight race among Clockwork Angels, Caress of Steel, and Signals (avatar checks out).

I have a couple of least-favorites (Hold Your Fire and Presto), but don't actively dislike any of their albums.

I do agree that getting their live albums is a great place to figure out what you might like in their catalog. The R40 tour album is great for that, as they played a very wide range of material, skipping only a couple of albums. I think their live albums generally got better each time they released a new one.

Moat_Man: love those photos. The first concert for my oldest son (now 22) was the Snakes & Arrows tour. The first for my younger two kids was R40.
Conform or be cast out!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hentzau wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 pm I was just watching "Beyond the Lighted Stage" this week while painting. Jesus. This one hits harder than Bowie or Petty.

Rush was my band as a teen. Seen them many times in concert, made it to their farewell tour. Always held out hope that they may rouse themselves and make one final tour. But now... :cry:
Completely agree. Hemispheres was the third album I ever bought and my final tally of concerts was 13. They were such an influence on me for most of my life.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:27 am

I have a couple of least-favorites (Hold Your Fire and Presto), but don't actively dislike any of their albums.

It always surprises me the differences that even serious fans have with their music. I love both of those albums, but especially Presto. I think The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Red Tide and Hand over Fist are just brilliant. I also absolutely love Signals, so our tastes are similar there. I'm not as fond of Caress of Steel. I think it's amazing that their body of work is so broad that each of us can love what they've done and yet like different eras.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

NPR had a great interview with Geddy Lee a while back and he brought that up. I guess Adam Clayton from U2 did the same thing with the bass guitar (probably the reason Geddy brought it up). But I thought it was great that well established musicians felt they could still grow. That's a true artist.

Bowie hit me harder, but I still recognize that the world has lost another true musical genius.
He won. Period.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

RIP. Glad I got to see him once at MSG.
18-1™ & 2-0
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve never been a Rush fan, but was always blown away by Peart’s talent. Dude was incredible.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Is that my sandwich?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

gbasden wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 am
Hrdina wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:27 am I have a couple of least-favorites (Hold Your Fire and Presto), but don't actively dislike any of their albums.
It always surprises me the differences that even serious fans have with their music. I love both of those albums, but especially Presto. I think The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Red Tide and Hand over Fist are just brilliant. I also absolutely love Signals, so our tastes are similar there. I'm not as fond of Caress of Steel. I think it's amazing that their body of work is so broad that each of us can love what they've done and yet like different eras.
That is very true.

You chose some interesting songs, too! To me, The Pass is the single most powerfully emotional song Rush ever did. It still gives me the chills when I hear it. Geddy does an amazing job and conveys a lot with the vocals. I also love Scars and War Paint, but think of Red Tide and Hand Over Fist as "OK for Rush".
Conform or be cast out!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:Seriously, if you have not watched Beyond the Lighted Stage and are remotely interested in Rush, it is a great documentary. Streaming on Netflix right now.
Watched it today. Thought it was very well done.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brian wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:04 pm Is that my sandwich?
“7 females at a Rush concert. That’s gotta be a world record.”

:lol:

I love that they can make fun of themselves. What a bunch of down to earth guys.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So tonight wife is out downtown at a friend's b-day party. Kids punted on the proffered dance party, so it's been the Rush tribute (every time a musician from my youth dies, I dedicate an evening to their music). 3 year daughter is really into it, 6 year old son like it, but complains it's too loud. This is not background music, it needs to be played loud.

I'm somewhat impressed with myself that I still can sing lyrics from songs I probably haven't heard in 30 years. Less impressed with my ability to hit the notes like I once did. Once upon a time, I could spew a decent Geddy Lee.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:28 pm
gbasden wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 am
Hrdina wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:27 am I have a couple of least-favorites (Hold Your Fire and Presto), but don't actively dislike any of their albums.
That is very true.

You chose some interesting songs, too! To me, The Pass is the single most powerfully emotional song Rush ever did. It still gives me the chills when I hear it. Geddy does an amazing job and conveys a lot with the vocals. I also love Scars and War Paint, but think of Red Tide and Hand Over Fist as "OK for Rush".
That album came out right about the time a good friend tried to kill himself, so The Pass still hits me like a ton of bricks every time I hear it. It feels prescient.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So bummed to hear this. I've owned Chronicles and bought a few of their other albums. But I've listened to Chronicles endless of times and is a favorite album of mine to listen to. I've just started to get into drumming and was looking forward to listening to their albums to try to mimic Neil's drumming. Not gonna happen, but it's something to strive for. The Ghost Rider album I discovered at a time that I needed it. Essential Peart wrote it after the harrowing loss of his daughter and wife in a span of 2 years. That album I highly suggest to anyone trying to move past loss. The lyrics are incredibly introspective, philosophical and hopeful. Just devastating, but each one's life ends. Just glad he was able to share his talent with the rest of the world.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Yeah this is a big loss for me too. I discovered Rush in my preteens and the first concert I saw on purpose was the Rush Signals tour when I was a freshman in high school.

Rush was essential to me in discovering my passion for music. Neil Peart’s drumming and lyrics were amazing. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I know it doesn't matter, but seeing all of the tributes from big name popular artists feels good when so many of my peers sneered at my musical tastes for being too intellectual or weird. I strangely love that other musicians are gushing about how much Neil meant to them.
Much mourning has subsequently played out in the media. In the ‘70s and ‘80s, Rush was often ignored or mocked by cultural tastemakers. But some of us who came of age in the ‘80s to a soundtrack of “Moving Pictures,” “Exit … Stage Left,” “Signals” and “Grace Under Pressure” are now tastemakers. Thus, Peart has been eulogized everywhere from the New Yorker to the National Review.

Longtime Buffalo News music critic Jeff Miers, in his recent remembrance, recounted sobbing over Peart’s death. Miers is not the only writer or rock star to publicly admit being moved to tears by Rush.

Brian Hiatt wrote one of the best-ever Rush profiles when the band — finally! — appeared on Rolling Stone’s cover in 2015 at the outset of the R40 Live Tour, which commemorated the 40th anniversary of Peart joining Rush. During his time with the band, Hiatt discreetly wiped away tears while watching Peart, Lee and Lifeson rehearse “Subdivisions”; the song transported him back to his own adolescence.

I get it.

Many a contemporary musician was also weaned on Rush. Nirvana drummer turned Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl wept after meeting Peart, one of his heroes.

Again, I get it.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Geddy and Alex spoke to Rolling Stone - their first interview since Neil's passing.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:15 pm Geddy and Alex spoke to Rolling Stone - their first interview since Neil's passing.
I enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Moat_Man wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:15 pm
Exodor wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:15 pm Geddy and Alex spoke to Rolling Stone - their first interview since Neil's passing.
I enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting.
Ditto.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I can't believe it's been a year already.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Xmann wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 am I can't believe it's been a year already.
Yeah, it's been a bit heartbreaking seeing a couple of articles (including the RS one) that reminded me of this. :(

The article seems a bit ironic to me, since back in HS my friends and I definitely counted RS among the "don't like Rush" crowd. We've still not forgiven them for the "swamp gas" comment about Signals.
Conform or be cast out!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hrdina wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:39 pm
Xmann wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 am I can't believe it's been a year already.
Yeah, it's been a bit heartbreaking seeing a couple of articles (including the RS one) that reminded me of this. :(

The article seems a bit ironic to me, since back in HS my friends and I definitely counted RS among the "don't like Rush" crowd. We've still not forgiven them for the "swamp gas" comment about Signals.
Indeed. That review has always been an absolute travesty. RS never got them.