Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: NFL 2020 Off Season

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:09 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:27 pm But Lewis had an epically bad record. That's gonna be a tough nut to crack.

We're talking Marvin Lewis, right?? He has a career winning record (131-122-3). With the Bengals. The guy is practically a god.
I should have said playoff record where he is 0-7.
He made the playoffs 7 times? Practically a god.
/Lions fan
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:14 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm Garrett wasn't fired, he just wasn't re-hired.

The Cowboys have hired Mike McCarthey, ex-Packers coach. Not a glamour hiring for sure, but did anyone really think they would hire the other guy they have interviewed, Marvin Lewis. Jerry needed someone who would put up with his meddling.
Cowboys met with Lewis to meet the Rooney rule or whatever it's called. I hate the rule because all it is a checkmark so that they cans say, see, we looked at a minority, and then move on to who they really wanted.

I don't see Cowboys and McCarthey lasting too long.
I'm perfectly fine with the Cowboys remaining a hot mess. Sitting ringside for that circus entertains me even when my own team can not.

Oh, and Dak Prescott doesn't have a contract for 2020.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:22 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm Garrett wasn't fired, he just wasn't re-hired.

The Cowboys have hired Mike McCarthey, ex-Packers coach. Not a glamour hiring for sure, but did anyone really think they would hire the other guy they have interviewed, Marvin Lewis. Jerry needed someone who would put up with his meddling.
Cowboys met with Lewis to meet the Rooney rule or whatever it's called. I hate the rule because all it is a checkmark so that they cans say, see, we looked at a minority, and then move on to who they really wanted.

Mike Tomlin was hired through the Rooney rule. They had no intentions of interviewing him when Cowher retired but did so because of the rule and he's won like what 2 superbowls so it was a good idea all around. Clearly the league should have forced Mark Davis to interview minority candidates as the one he chose is a brain dead idiot.
I'm glad the Rooney rule has some value, I just think its disingenuous to minorities in general. I wish we didn't live in a world that we still look at color or sex or any non-job conforming value to hire someone. I know in a perfect world we'd hire based on who has the best skills\knowledge of that field. But that's never going to happen. I don't think majority of the time when a minority gets interviewed will lead to a hire. I think it's simply a checkbox for owners to get by the NFL's mandate. And that's sad.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The video I posted above was saying that some black candidates decline to state their race so they won't be a 'check the box' candidate, so there is certainly some concern about that. I don't know what else the NFL can do. I remember when Dungy said that during an interview for a coaching job he was told that it was OK that he was black but he better not bring any black assistant coaches with him. He did not take that job of course.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

made a post that might not have come across as clearly and rather than derailing i'm removing.
Last edited by naednek on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:43 pm

I'm perfectly fine with the Cowboys remaining a hot mess. Sitting ringside for that circus entertains me even when my own team can not.

Oh, and Dak Prescott doesn't have a contract for 2020.
I have Zeke in a keeper league. I can keep him until he retires for the same cost every year. I am not happy about this. McCarthy's running backs were unpredictable. He had some that had good years but he's much more RBBC thatn Garrett is.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:36 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:02 pm The video I posted above was saying that some black candidates decline to state their race so they won't be a 'check the box' candidate, so there is certainly some concern about that. I don't know what else the NFL can do. I remember when Dungy said that during an interview for a coaching job he was told that it was OK that he was black but he better not bring any black assistant coaches with him. He did not take that job of course.
you know i realized i'm saying minority, and that needs to stop. I believe if we stop trying to label everything it would go a long way from putting people in check boxes and use that to discriminate.

You and I are equal... Well I'm slightly better because of being a Giants fan, but you get the point :P
Sorry but I pretty intensely disagree. If you’d like to discuss this further we can take it to pm.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:27 pm But Lewis had an epically bad record. That's gonna be a tough nut to crack.

We're talking Marvin Lewis, right?? He has a career winning record (131-122-3). With the Bengals. The guy is practically a god.
Funny thing is that if the Steelers don't take out Carson Palmer's knee in the playoffs early in his career, I think that record is completely different. They were on the verge of blowing the steelers out in that game, and nothing was the same afterwards.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Yea, I have no doubt Lewis was interviewed just because of the rule. I don't mind the rule. If it gets someone an interview you never know if that one interview may lead to them being noticed by someone else. Sports has always been a "who you know" industry, like many others, and getting your name out there the first time is important.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:13 am
Jaymann wrote:

Funny thing is that if the Steelers don't take out Carson Palmer's knee in the playoffs early in his career, I think that record is completely different. They were on the verge of blowing the steelers out in that game, and nothing was the same afterwards.
The imjury happened with 10:30 left in the first quarter and the score was 0-0.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:50 am
Jaymann wrote:

But they were juuuuust about to go on a 40-0 run.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stessier wrote:
Jaymann wrote:

Another Mandela Effect? I remember the Bengals being up by at least a score or two before the injury. I knew it happened really early in the game, but I’m surprised it was THAT early.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Considering it was the Bengals, I don't think it's representative of Lewis. He has 1/2 of their playoff appearances and a career winning record (compared to .416 for non-Lewis coached Bengals teams). It's like Belichick with the Browns.

I'd hire Lewis in a heartbeat. That doesn't mean it would be successful, but at least he has a competent record while dealing with terrible ownership.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

msteelers wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:49 am
stessier wrote:
Jaymann wrote:

Another Mandela Effect? I remember the Bengals being up by at least a score or two before the injury. I knew it happened really early in the game, but I’m surprised it was THAT early.
Both teams were 11-5 that year. Pit was ranked 5th by DVOA and CIN was ranked 6th, just 1% behind. They were very evenly matched. But the first CIN play might have given you the impression a rout was possible and you just ran with it. :)
On the Bengals' first pass play, Carson Palmer threw a 66-yard pass to rookie receiver Chris Henry. It was the longest completion in Bengals playoff history. After Palmer released the pass, Steelers defensive tackle Kimo von Oelhoffen fell to the ground and wrapped up Palmers leg to bring him down which resulted in a bad injury. Von Oelhoffen later publicly apologized. A magnetic resonance imaging test revealed a severe knee injury, thought to be career-threatening at the time; Palmer had tears of both the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as cartilage and meniscus damage. Coincidentally, Henry himself suffered a knee injury on the same play, though far less severe. With Palmer out of the game, the Steelers went on to win 31–17 en route to their Super Bowl XL victory over the Seattle Seahawks.[49]
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm
msteelers wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:49 am
stessier wrote:
Jaymann wrote:

Both teams were 11-5 that year. Pit was ranked 5th by DVOA and CIN was ranked 6th, just 1% behind. They were very evenly matched. But the first CIN play might have given you the impression a rout was possible and you just ran with it. :)
On the Bengals' first pass play, Carson Palmer threw a 66-yard pass to rookie receiver Chris Henry. It was the longest completion in Bengals playoff history. After Palmer released the pass, Steelers defensive tackle Kimo von Oelhoffen fell to the ground and wrapped up Palmers leg to bring him down which resulted in a bad injury. Von Oelhoffen later publicly apologized. A magnetic resonance imaging test revealed a severe knee injury, thought to be career-threatening at the time; Palmer had tears of both the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as cartilage and meniscus damage. Coincidentally, Henry himself suffered a knee injury on the same play, though far less severe. With Palmer out of the game, the Steelers went on to win 31–17 en route to their Super Bowl XL victory over the Seattle Seahawks.[49]
Bingo. That first play was my impression of that game.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, at the time Palmer was on track to complete 100% of his passes for 66 yards per pass.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which would have to be some sort of record.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants and Panthers are set, right? So who all is left without a HC at this point? Just Cleveland? That's it, right? And they've interviewed a bunch of people already, with more to come...

:pray:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:02 pm So the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants and Panthers are set, right? So who all is left without a HC at this point? Just Cleveland? That's it, right? And they've interviewed a bunch of people already, with more to come...

:pray:
Jason Garrett! :wink:

Just kidding. He's likely to go back to OC under the Giants.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Odd that it appears likely to be no openings for Superbowl coordinators to jump on. Usually a few teams wait to see who might be available rather than swapping spit with other less-successful teams.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Looks like McDaniels will be back as the Patriots OC.

From the reporting, it looks like the Browns coach has to submit his gameplan to the analytics team on Friday and have a sit down meeting with them in the afternoon to discuss it. Will be interesting to see how that works.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

New Orleans police on Thursday issued an arrest warrant for Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. on a complaint of simple battery.
What did he do this time?
Video surfaced this week showing Beckham slapping the buttocks of a Superdome security guard in the LSU locker room after the Tigers' national championship victory over Clemson on Monday in New Orleans.

According to records obtained by NOLA.com, the security guard had been telling LSU players to put out cigars in the locker room before he was slapped.

I mean as NFL arrest warrants go this one is almost humourous. But come on, dude.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dante Scarnechia, the much lauded Patriots O-line coach, is retiring (again). :( At 72, he deserves the rest, but man was he good.

Bill O'Brien just got the GM title in Houston. Which means Caserio is not going there from the Patriots (which seemed a foregone conclusion after last offseason).
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 pm Bill O'Brien just got the GM title in Houston. Which means Caserio is not going there from the Patriots (which seemed a foregone conclusion after last offseason).
That seems brilliant. Give a guy who is barely succeeding and give him a bunch more responsibility.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:37 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 pm Bill O'Brien just got the GM title in Houston. Which means Caserio is not going there from the Patriots (which seemed a foregone conclusion after last offseason).
That seems brilliant. Give a guy who is barely succeeding and give him a bunch more responsibility.
Yeah, and it seems like in general having the same person be coach and GM usually goes poorly.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:42 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:37 pm
Yeah, and it seems like in general having the same person be coach and GM usually goes poorly.
At least he won't be able to blame anyone else any more.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Houston said they've been operating this way for 8 months and got to the divisional round. They want to win championships and so don't want to change. I'm not sure how those two things go together.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

SInce JJ Watt is hosting SNL, Jimmy Fallon brought in Sean Evans from the Hot Ones to promote it.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Rivers is officially out of the Chargers.
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
4m
End of an era: Los Angeles Chargers and QB Philip Rivers have mutually agreed that Rivers will enter free agency and not return to the team for the 2020 season.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:04 pm Rivers is officially out of the Chargers.
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
4m
End of an era: Los Angeles Chargers and QB Philip Rivers have mutually agreed that Rivers will enter free agency and not return to the team for the 2020 season.
Only three seasons too late.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:18 pm Houston said they've been operating this way for 8 months and got to the divisional round. They want to win championships and so don't want to change. I'm not sure how those two things go together.
That's the path to sports purgatory where you never do bad enough to get that game-changer in the draft and fosters a culture of mediocrity. We're very familiar with the concept here.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:04 pm Rivers is officially out of the Chargers.
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
4m
I hope he ends up with a playoff contender team. He deserves a shot at a superbowl with a team that knows how to win and owners who understand their fans and players. Honestly, it sucks that his last year (3 really) as a Charger was in a city that didn't want the team. Its better for him to move on and hopefully land in a better place.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS Sports
Here are five of the most logical landing spots for Rivers, who will officially be free to join another team on March 18:

5. Las Vegas Raiders
4. Carolina Panthers
3. Chicago Bears
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1. Indianapolis Colts
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 pm
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
4m
I hope he ends up with a playoff contender team. He deserves a shot at a superbowl with a team that knows how to win and owners who understand their fans and players. Honestly, it sucks that his last year (3 really) as a Charger was in a city that didn't want the team. Its better for him to move on and hopefully land in a better place.
He sucked last year. He threw 20 interceptions and missed open receivers. I don't think a team who is serious about going to the SB will start him.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Carolina if the Panthers trade or release Newton (which seems likely?). Rivers could be a decent stop-gap for a year or two until the Panthers get their next long term QB.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So Imlawboy, Rivers an upgrade for the Bears?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm So Imlawboy, Rivers an upgrade for the Bears?
Yes. Brady would be a better choice, but I'm not sure he wants to go to the windy city.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I would imagine if Brady is leaving, the Chargers have to be one of his top choices. They have so many weapons that it’s likely his best chance to win now.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:38 pm So Imlawboy, Rivers an upgrade for the Bears?
Only if they are looking for a new bus driver on the route to Nowheresville.

I can see Rivers doing the career-extending professional mid-season injury replacement guy role ala Dave Krieg. Nobody is going to hire him to be a key player in a championship run, however. He could wind up with a team that has aspirations of a top draft pick though. Sadly, that won't be the Bears because as ILB constantly rants, they gave up all of their 1st round picks for the remainder of my lifetime to trade up a spot to get Trubinsky.
Black Lives Matter