Winter 2019-20 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Winter 2019-20 is coming

Post by Isgrimnur »

Weather.com

CNN
Winds as strong as those of a tropical storm are pummeling New England on Thursday as a storm known as a bomb cyclone knocks out power and promises to disrupt travel in the region through the end of the workweek.

The storm "is now parked over southern New England with the pressure equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane," CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen said.

More than 500,000 customers from New York to Maine are without electricity, according to PowerOutages.us. And more than 70 flights have been canceled Thursday at Boston Logan International Airport, FlightAware.com reports, with more delays and cancellations expected through late Friday.

Wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph are expected to punish New England for much of Thursday, while New York City, Boston and Portland, Maine, may feel winds of at least 39 mph -- the low end of tropical-storm force -- with stronger gusts.
High temperatures Thursday for the eastern half of the United States will be 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit below average as a cold front pushes in. That could turn lingering rain to snow in upstate New York.

The bomb cyclone is the second coastal storm to impact New England in a week. Last week's storm sat off the coast of the Mid-Atlantic, churning up seas and bringing a strong onshore wind that shredded beaches up and down the East Coast. It caused costly damage due to beach erosion and coastal flooding.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Re: Winter 2019-20 is coming

Post by gilraen »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I saw most of a large tree come down this morning. Heard a loud crack and looked over in time to see the main trunk of a huge old maple at the end of the street collapse almost straight down. It had already lost some big branches.

I have to go into the city tonight (by foot and subway), and with the wind still gusting over 30 mph I'm mulling whether to wear my winter coat, even though the temperature's still over 50. I've got to walk about two miles, but it will most likely be hot in the theater.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Does anyone remember the name of a winter storm that passed through in the years since this charade began? I've been through plenty of winter storms, but those names are getting zero traction in the brain box.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Katrina?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 pmKatrina?
There was a winter storm named Katrina? I only recall the hurricane of the same name.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ahh Sadie was the name of my in laws little Boston. Sweet little dog.

Last week it was 100 / 75
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It's friggin' cold here...

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 pm
Does anyone remember the name of a winter storm that passed through in the years since this charade began? I've been through plenty of winter storms, but those names are getting zero traction in the brain box.
Yeah, agreed, it is ridiculous, particularly in the case when you're in a country or part of a country that receives tons of snow by default. I think I'll just call it Winter. Snow happens!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gee thanks for dropping the night time temps by 30 degrees in one night. Appreciate it.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Was raining this morning but several cars in the garage had snow on them. One had an inch or so. Guessing from the northern suburbs?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm Image
They need to give them full names like:

Bessie Smith
Ezekiel Elliot
Chuck Finley
Isaiah Thomas
Lamont Cranston
Steve Nash
Odell Beckham
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Margaret Thatcher
Kate Upton
Veronica Mars
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:14 pm Was raining this morning but several cars in the garage had snow on them. One had an inch or so. Guessing from the northern suburbs?
Nope. I just had a meeting from someone in the northern burbs and he just had rain/wet pavement. Myself, OTOH (SW burbs), had 3 inches of heavy slush on the ground, covering the car, and mucking up the roads. I had to drive in the mess (N-NE) for about a dozen miles until the slush faded to merely wet pavement.

Tonight is supposed to be worse, followed by temps down to 20 tomorrow night so everything will freeze. I have to rush to get the hose taken in, the patio furniture put away, and anything not killed outright by the snow/slush (we didn't have a hard freeze) harvested before dark tonight.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:14 pm Was raining this morning but several cars in the garage had snow on them. One had an inch or so. Guessing from the northern suburbs?
There were big flakes and rain coming down when we were getting my oldest on the bus this morning at about 6:45. A wintry mix, I'd say.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We had snow on rooftops in some neighborhoods I drove through this morning.

Aaaand now I see a Winter Weather Advisory for tomorrow night. I'm gonna be pissed if we don't get trick-or-treaters and I have to eat all the Snickers, Reese's and KitKats!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm We had snow on rooftops in some neighborhoods I drove through this morning.

Aaaand now I see a Winter Weather Advisory for tomorrow night. I'm gonna be pissed if we don't get trick-or-treaters and I have to eat all the Snickers, Reese's and KitKats!
Most towns out here are moving Halloween to either Friday or Saturday. It's going to be 70 degrees tomorrow night, with rain and winds gusting to 50 mph.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:28 pm Most towns out here are moving Halloween to either Friday or Saturday.
Well...all I can say is...have fun with your non-traditional (probably god-less) celebrations that are convenient for You People.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:28 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm We had snow on rooftops in some neighborhoods I drove through this morning.

Most towns out here are moving Halloween to either Friday or Saturday. It's going to be 70 degrees tomorrow night, with rain and winds gusting to 50 mph.
No movement here. 6" blowing, drifting snow expected with 40+ MPH winds.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Flurries this morning on my way in to the office. I just hope it's OK this afternoon/early evening for the kids to get some trick-or-treating in.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:20 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:28 pm Most towns out here are moving Halloween to either Friday or Saturday.
Well...all I can say is...have fun with your non-traditional (probably god-less) celebrations that are convenient for You People.
The traditionalists in my town have decreed that the children shall go forth and beg tonight as Satan intended. The latest forecast sees the rain diminishing to drizzle during the sanctioned trick-or-treating hours and the winds not spooling up until 11 pm.

"Winter" (because this is its thread) is almost never a factor in Halloweening here, and it will indeed be near 70 tonight. Disregarding a few outlying years, we ordinarily don't see any measurable snow until well after Tgiving. In fact, Tgiving weekend is when I usually do the annual yard cleanup. Might be able to get an early jump on that this year if tonight's winds strip the trees.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:26 am Flurries this morning on my way in to the office. I just hope it's OK this afternoon/early evening for the kids to get some trick-or-treating in.
It's going to be a snow filled day... Last year was dreamy - this year's the other side of the coin.

I think we had a late snow flurry in the very first days of May this year...

That would give Chicago 4 months in 2019 without snow.... June, July, August, September

:shock:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm Snickers, Reese's and KitKats!
the holy trinity. well done. we add twix to the mix -
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They mentioned on the news this morning that he snow record for Halloween is 0.1". We've broken that in the time it took me to write this post.

I'm inclined to make a snow jack-o-lantern this afternoon.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fluffy white stuff here, too. Not enough to stick with all of the rain, but enough to be fluffy and white. My car still doesn't have working defrosters, so I'm really not looking forward to this winter.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, snow here too! I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened sooner.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Snowing here as well. Started this afternoon. Might be a long winter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, we had quite a bit of snow yesterday and it seems like it's staying for now. We've had watermain work being done on our street all summer, and they were supposed to be done by the end of October. They connected temporary blue hoses for our watersupply until the work is done. We wake up this morning to find out we have no water. The hoses were frozen. Then a little later we found out it wasn't just us either, but the entire street. :shock:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:16 pm Enlarge Image
Fat Canadians are squishing us! Ban Tim Hortons! :horse:
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Snowvember! Parts of MA could see accumulating snow late this week, followed by a freezing air mass. Even though it isn't expected to snow at all here, we will dutifully strip the shelves of bread and milk.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just don't let your beer stocks run too low. The flurries can last for days, but beer is less perishable than milk or bread.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 am Enlarge Image
Actually, drivers in Boston are so terrible in good conditions snow is actually an improvement. It keeps them from slowing to a complete stop 1/4 mile before a highway exit.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Stay safe left coasters:
Hurricane-force winds, blizzard conditions, heavy snowfall — and a "bomb cyclone" on the West Coast: Those are the dire predictions of weather forecasters, who are warning Thanksgiving travelers to be cautious and prepare for delays as two powerful back-to-back storms hit the western and central U.S. this week.

The National Weather Service's U.S. forecast map is draped in alarming shades of pink, purple and red, reflecting winter storm warnings that are in effect from California to Michigan. And the bad weather is expected to last: The winter storm warning posted by the NWS office in Las Vegas will remain in effect from 5 p.m. PT Tuesday through 4 a.m. PT Friday.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Supposed to get nasty here starting tomorrow, and continue through the weekend.

Good thing both cars just got new tires.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I would just like to say that it is no longer coming. It's here.

Learned a few valuable lessons today.
1) Test your snowblower in Sept or Oct to make sure it starts okay
2) Before putting it up for the year, take some steps to prepare it for storage

Luckily the neighbors across the street had some experience with snowblowers (and some stuff to help out). We did finally get it working. Then spent a couple hours clearing things. And just finished up a second round clearing for the mailman.

Easily over a foot in most places. Really glad I got a 2 Stage blower. And one with some horsepower.

Phew.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm Gee thanks for dropping the night time temps by 30 degrees in one night.

Enlarge Image
What are you being hysterical about here?

I don't see any 30 degree drop in the image you shared in any way of looking at things. Seriously - -what are you talking about here. What 30 degree drop in night time temps are you talking about exactly ???

Day temps range from 68-50 (18 degrees)
Night temps range from 56-33 (and that is just 23 degrees over 7 nights, not 1)

Ohhh, it's your 68 degree day - and the next night being 39? is that your complaint?

any given 'day' is about 10-15 degrees warmer than the night temperature. The sun being the source of our heat and all that... So, you are really just upset about a One Day - 13 degree - drop from 68-55.. /shrug …
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(sorry, that was a pretty old post I was commenting on... didn't see it until now...)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I finally finished raking today. Our forecast is tranquil as far out as it goes, but I'm ready now. It can't snow until the leaves are picked up.