MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Post by Jaymann »

As expected the Angels hire Maddon. But I know nothing about Callaway:
NAHEIM -- After officially introducing Joe Maddon as manager on Thursday, the Angels are set to hire former Mets skipper Mickey Callaway as pitching coach, a source confirmed to MLB.com on Saturday.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW the other week the Red Sox hired Chaim Bloom from the Rays as their new GM. Seems like a solid hire. Per the usual schedule the Red Sox should win the World Series in 3 years and then fire him in 4.

Anyway, now I can resume dreading a Mookie Betts trade.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:45 am FWIW the other week the Red Sox hired Chaim Bloom from the Rays as their new GM. Seems like a solid hire. Per the usual schedule the Red Sox should win the World Series in 3 years and then fire him in 4.

Apparently the Dodgers are in play with this potential trade. AJ "Glassman" Pollock is a bust.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:45 am FWIW the other week the Red Sox hired Chaim Bloom from the Rays as their new GM. Seems like a solid hire. Per the usual schedule the Red Sox should win the World Series in 3 years and then fire him in 4.

Apparently the Dodgers are in play with this potential trade. AJ "Glassman" Pollock is a bust.
The other thing is that the word that filtered down from Red Sox ownership was essentially "Betts or Martinez". It sounds like J.D. Martinez is currently expected to opt out, so I'm hoping that happens and that we wind up keeping and extending Betts instead.

Either way, I'm left with hoping that ownership gets saved from their own stupidity.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Exodor wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:33 am One of these teams needs to hire Matheny before the Royals name him manager.

I really don't want him as the next Royals manager. :(
Sorry dude. :(
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:31 am

The other thing is that the word that filtered down from Red Sox ownership was essentially "Betts or Martinez". It sounds like J.D. Martinez is currently expected to opt out, so I'm hoping that happens and that we wind up keeping and extending Betts instead.

Either way, I'm left with hoping that ownership gets saved from their own stupidity.
It certainly seems like Betts is the rarer commodity. I would miss JD, but if it's one or the other, I'd choose Betts.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My dream has the Mets grabbing Anthony Rendon, but there's no way they will pay what's he's going to ask for. Same with Cole, though his whole I'm not with the team crap five seconds after the World Series was a super dick move.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:21 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:31 am

It certainly seems like Betts is the rarer commodity. I would miss JD, but if it's one or the other, I'd choose Betts.
Yeah, and Betts is both younger and a type of player who is less likely to fall off a cliff beyond a certain age.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:08 pm
Exodor wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:33 am One of these teams needs to hire Matheny before the Royals name him manager.

I really don't want him as the next Royals manager. :(
Sorry dude. :(
It's been inevitable ever since they hired him as "special advisor" or whatever place-holder title they gave him last year.

:doh:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Octavious wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:38 am Joe Girardi to the Phillies. I'm sure the Mets underbid because they are idiots. We'll end up with Beltran who has never managed a day in his life. :lol:
Annnnndddd it's Beltran. I give up.

For the record my friend who is more logical than me says this isn't a horrible idea. We shall see.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So theathletic.com (behind paywall) is suggesting that instead of robo umpires, there be a camera that faces home plate from center field, and another one that is zoomed in and fixed on home plate from above. There would be a fifth umpire who saw the view from those cameras sitting in a room high above the field, who pressed a button for strike (and either another button for foul or no button) and the home plate umpire would receive a signal which would be the call. This way there would still be human intervention. Also the nice side effect of eliminating any reason to for managers to go yell at the ump over a strike call (I put that part in :) ).

Also I didn't realize the 3 batter rule was going to be in for 2020, that should be interesting, lot of LOOGY relievers out of a job but hopefully no more one hour innings. I'm really glad the ridiculousness of the 40 man call up will be gone in September, maybe one day the game will actually make sense.

Happy to see Bellinger as an MVP candidate and Yelich as well especially since Yelich went down before the end of the season. And while I guess Ryu has no shot at the NL Cy Young award, it was nice that he was a finalist.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

J.D. Martinez decided not to opt out. Good that he'll be back, because (assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff) he's great. Less great that this raises the odds that they trade Betts.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The Athletic is reporting that the Astros used electronic devices (cameras at least) to steal signs during the 2017 post season. There apparently has been widespread suspicion among the clubs that the Astros were cheating and the Nats went to great effort (more than with any other post season team they played) to make sure their signs weren't being stolen. This has come up during the MLB's investigation of the Astro's organizational culture.

So yeah, Darvish wasn't tipping his pitched, the Astros were stealing them.

(Article behind paywall).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Non-paywalled ESPN article on this.

Appears to be based on an ex-Astros pitcher (Fiers), who talked to the Athletic, and who says he warned pitchers with the Tigers about it in 2018. Plus unnamed sources about how paranoid teams are in Minute Maid Park.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Also, I love Luhnow's quote on this: "We've never done anything that's been deemed to be incorrect." Strong stuff.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:11 pm Also, I love Luhnow's quote on this: "We've never done anything that's been deemed to be incorrect." Strong stuff.
It was a perfect video feed. NO QUID PRO QUO!
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:11 pm Also, I love Luhnow's quote on this: "We've never done anything that's been deemed to be incorrect." Strong stuff.
I gotta say, as a Patriots fan, it is fascinating to be on this side of a story like this.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am I gotta say, as a Patriots fan, it is fascinating to be on this side of a story like this.
The sudden realization that yes, this sort of thing IS indeed frowned upon?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am I gotta say, as a Patriots fan, it is fascinating to be on this side of a story like this.
The sudden realization that yes, this sort of thing IS indeed frowned upon?
I mean obviously the difference is that the Patriots are innocent in every respect and unfairly maligned by the proverbial "haters". But the coverage here is very familiar.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, haters. People hate cheaters
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 pm So theathletic.com (behind paywall) is suggesting that instead of robo umpires, there be a camera that faces home plate from center field, and another one that is zoomed in and fixed on home plate from above. There would be a fifth umpire who saw the view from those cameras sitting in a room high above the field, who pressed a button for strike (and either another button for foul or no button) and the home plate umpire would receive a signal which would be the call. This way there would still be human intervention. Also the nice side effect of eliminating any reason to for managers to go yell at the ump over a strike call (I put that part in :) ).

How are they going to get around the offset issue on the CF camera? They can't have it directly in line with the zone because the mound and pitcher are in the way. Maybe they have two offset cameras and work some kind of 3d magic?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

O.O MLB talking to Red Sox El Guapo
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am How are they going to get around the offset issue on the CF camera? They can't have it directly in line with the zone because the mound and pitcher are in the way. Maybe they have two offset cameras and work some kind of 3d magic?
They have a consultant in Houston that has it all worked out. :coffee:
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am
I gotta say, as a Patriots fan, it is fascinating to be on this side of a story like this.
How do you feel about the Red Sox possibly doing the same thing in 2018, what with Cora and the bullpen coach being ex-Astros.

Maybe this will lead to wireless verbal connections between the catcher, pitcher and dugout.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I was trying to find out if any of this was against the rules in 2017. I know they did an explicit rewrite before the 2019 season, but was the sign stealing with video against the written rules or just the unwritten rules?

edit: Yes, yes it was.
MLB Commissioner in 2017 wrote: "At the outset, it is important to understand that the attempt to decode signs being used by an opposing catcher is not a violation of any Major League Baseball Rule or Regulation. Major League Baseball Regulations do, however, prohibit the use of electronic equipment during games and state that no such equipment 'may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage.'
edit 2:
I wonder how widespread this is as the Manfred's statement was in regard to both the Yankees and Red Sox using technology to steal signs.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:06 pm I was trying to find out if any of this was against the rules in 2017. I know they did an explicit rewrite before the 2019 season, but was the sign stealing with video against the written rules or just the unwritten rules?
At least since 2017 when the Red Sox admitted they were cheaters, it was widely known that using electronic devices to assist in stealing signals is cheating.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... oth-teams/
"At the outset, it is important to understand that the attempt to decode signs being used by an opposing catcher is not a violation of any Major League Baseball Rule or Regulation. Major League Baseball Regulations do, however, prohibit the use of electronic equipment during games and state that no such equipment 'may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage.' Despite this clear Regulation, the prevalence of technology, especially the technology used in the replay process, has made it increasingly difficult to monitor appropriate and inappropriate uses of electronic equipment. Based on the investigation by my office, I have nonetheless concluded that during the 2017 season the Boston Red Sox violated the Regulation quoted above by sending electronic communications from their video replay room to an athletic trainer in the dugout.
Edit: Sure go ahead and edit your post. ;) CBS also noted D Backs were busted for using electronics to steal signals in 2018. So I'm guessing it's very widespread.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am
How do you feel about the Red Sox possibly doing the same thing in 2018, what with Cora and the bullpen coach being ex-Astros.

Maybe this will lead to wireless verbal connections between the catcher, pitcher and dugout.
Yeah, saw the stuff linking this to Cora. Oh well - was nice being on the good side of an alleged cheating scandal while it lasted.

Well, maybe either Cora came clean after coming to the Red Sox, OR maybe everyone's doing it!
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Why can't they use technology to eliminate signs altogether? The pitcher could have an earbud and the catcher a transmitter embedded in the mitt where he can, say, select 1-5 and have it transmit an audible signal to the pitcher. Seems like it would be a pretty simple solution to the problem.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 am Why can't they use technology to eliminate signs altogether? The pitcher could have an earbud and the catcher a transmitter embedded in the mitt where he can, say, select 1-5 and have it transmit an audible signal to the pitcher. Seems like it would be a pretty simple solution to the problem.
Lots of folks have asked for that perhaps most notably Justin Verlander.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 am Why can't they use technology to eliminate signs altogether? The pitcher could have an earbud and the catcher a transmitter embedded in the mitt where he can, say, select 1-5 and have it transmit an audible signal to the pitcher. Seems like it would be a pretty simple solution to the problem.
Yep the NFL has been doing it for years but hey baseball is a game of tradition and playing the game the 'right way'. Obviously that includes calling the bullpen from a wall phone and using painted fingernails for signs.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sign stealing has always been part of baseball, at least as far as I can recall dating back to pre-technology days. Now, they can either accept technology makes it easier, or have an arms race where tech is used to thwart theft. I don't understand how a team could justify one but not the other.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah but it’s kind of like fighting in hockey. It’s peripheral to the game and maybe it’s time for sign stealing to be put to pasture.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:00 am Yeah but it’s kind of like fighting in hockey. It’s peripheral to the game and maybe it’s time for sign stealing to be put to pasture.
But at a certain point you can't stop it. Drawing the line at using technology and non-player/coach personnel is a decent solution.

If a guy is on base, should he just not look at the catcher? It's not much different than tipping pitches. It's kind of hard to ignore and impossible not to act upon.

Of course the best way to eliminate the stealing of signs is to eliminate signs altogether. The earpiece solution has been proposed in the thread and it makes sense. But then you'd have to give the infielders earpieces too. And you'd have to give them to batters and baserunners because they get signs that can be stolen as well. You could then eliminate mound visits completely. At that point you might as well have robot umpires and a pitch clock.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Interesting analysis of whether the Astros sign-stealing produced a measurable benefit.

TLDR the statistics generally tend to show pretty weak evidence on a material benefit from the sign-stealing, in part because (during the regular season) the Astros hit much better on the road than at home. With a couple caveats: (1) the Astros hit much better at home *in the 2017 playoffs*, but with the small sample size it's hard to know how robust that is; and (2) this is assuming that the Astros only stole signs at home. If they were also doing so on the road (via someone in center field relaying signals electronically) then the case gets stronger, because the Astros outhit their pre-season projections by quite a bit.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I’m fine with everyone having a speaker in their caps, not an issue. Stealing signs through illegal electronic devices is a big issue.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wilpons are selling off their shares! They will hang around for 5 years, but after that the Coupons are gone. :horse: Maybe just maybe they will stop acting like a small market team.

*Edit* Reports are they will still have a 20% stake, but wouldn't get running the show anymore. I'm cool with that. Sadly 5 years is plenty long enough to have all our good starters gone. :?

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wheeler to the Phillies. Everyone knew he wasn't sticking around, but going to the Phillies is less than ideal. I think they overpaid for him, but we'll see.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Saw that Hammels got a 1-year, $18M deal with the Red Sox. I mean Braves.

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

Madbum goes to AZ for 85 million. Thankfully he didn't go to the Dodgers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Looks like the Dodgers are going to end up without any decent starting pitching if they continue to cheap out.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I can't understand how nobody outbid Texas's trade for Kluber.
Black Lives Matter.