Have you ever done non-skilled labor?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

How many years have you worked in a job that required < 2 weeks of training?

Never
2%
<1 year
29%
1-2 years
20%
2-5 years
22%
5-10 years
27%
Forever
No votes

Total votes: 45

noxiousdog

Have you ever done non-skilled labor?

Post by noxiousdog »

There's an interesting thread in R&P that made me interested in our backgrounds.

By non-skilled, I'm asking about things that didn't require weeks of training. This doesn't have to be formal training. For example I didn't need training to desktop support, but I still trained on home machines for years before I got my first computer job.

I have, however, worked as a go-fer, dish washer, cook, waiter, and bartender for several years prior to moving into the IT industry. All the training was a few days at best. Maybe less.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Have you ever done non-skilled labor?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yes. I bailed/brought in hay as a kid. [Time: seasonal for 8 years or so]

My first real job, as in paycheck instead of cash, was a janitor at a computer builder/repair/software store. Think mom and pop Dell in the early 90s. Training consisted of "Here are the trashcans, here's the bathroom, don't throw out anything that looks valuable. Oh, and you get a 40% discount on games." [Time: 1 glorious year]

I was a waiter several times. I wouldn't say it's non-skilled but training was a day or two max in all cases. [Time: 3-4 years total]
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Do you mean in adult life? I'm guessing there are a lot of people here who did labor jobs during high school and college, but not after getting a degree.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After college:

Drove an ice cream truck
Every job in a restaurant from janitor up to assistant manager
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Army, Campus Security, Go-Kart Track Attendant all while I was in college. All IT post-college.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

During summers in high school and college I did temp work - mostly data entry. That's pretty much it.
Black Lives Matter.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm Do you mean in adult life? I'm guessing there are a lot of people here who did labor jobs during high school and college, but not after getting a degree.
I think it all counts. I'm sure it's a lot, but I'm still curious how much. Especially the breakdown between < 2 years and over 2 years.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

I chose 5-10 years because from 14-22 I worked various non-skilled jobs.

Cashier and general help for a family owned lumber yard
Cashier at a bookstore
Gas meter reader
Lawn mower for a municipal airport
Summer camp counselor
Welder's aide for laying gas pipeline
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Post-College? Minimal. Some temporary work, and then QA at Broderbund. Hard to say if that required less than 2 weeks training - you could jump in, but experience and development really mattered down the road, and pre-existing computer skills were a huge boon. Eventually ran a Network testing lab before moving on to IT (DBA/SysAdmin/etc).

In high school I worked at a pharmacy, cashiering, stocking and doing deliveries. In College, I worked in the Dorm Mess Hall for a semester or so, Macy's for a Holiday Season and Bussing, Waiting and Bartending my way through college.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not forever but for a lot longer than 5-10 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had many cashier, clerk, and restaurant jobs in high school and throughout my college years, and reverted to doing that kind of work "between jobs" through adulthood. The least-skilled job I ever had was as a Manpower temp: You only found out in an early-morning phone call if you'd be working at all that day, and where, and doing what. It was usually of the lift-and-carry variety.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

School custodian and bicycle repair.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm My first real job, as in paycheck instead of cash, was a janitor at a computer builder/repair/software store. Think mom and pop Dell in the early 90s. Training consisted of "Here are the trashcans, here's the bathroom, don't throw out anything that looks valuable. Oh, and you get a 40% discount on games." [Time: 1 glorious year]
My first job was janitor too.
My high school hired students to help with the day to day cleaning each day after school (2 hrs) and as extra full time help over the summer. I did that for 3 years. My immediate supervisor was one of the best bosses I've ever had.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just during high school. Worked in a pizza parlor and a college cafeteria.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Worked for a paycheck since age 14, lots of odd jobs before. I've worked the renaissance festival circuit, catered and even painted parking lots. Plus I've my fair share of fast food and retail work. So yeah.. probably close to 10 years overall.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Out of college I worked for five years in a job that was glorified data entry. The last few years was technically a different position (data analyst), but didn't require any training or specialized skills. In high school I worked one summer as a waiter in a retirement community. I think about half my high school worked there at some point.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I went with the 5-10 years option given my various years working fast food, waiting tables, working as a library page, etc. All of that was before I finished my education, though. I think working these types of jobs as a means toward completing an education is different that working these kinds of jobs when your education is complete (whether HS, college, advanced degree, or whatever). I'm sure I had a different attitude about waiting tables than the long timers did, for example. I know that this initial survey came out of Drazzil's comments in R&P related to the "working man", and i think Drazzil's post-education non-skilled labor work has more relevance to that discussion than my concurrent-with-education non-skilled labor work.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Particular when you consider that for most of us that time is 20+ years in the rear view.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm going to say 2-5 years.

My first High School job was as a dishwasher but then I learned to cook at that restaurant and went to culinary school and became a chef. But while I was in school I was a cashier at Meijer. And now I've been in IT for over 20 years...so it's been a mix.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I worked for one day as a donut maker (and couldn't eat glazed donuts for years afterward)
One summer as a Wal-Mart cashier
One summer as a clerk at a dry cleaners

I think that's it
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I had a regular job sometimes I'd do construction work after my regular job.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

From 9 to 16, 5 paper routes + Saturday assemble of Sunday papers at the news agency.
For 3 months at age 16, fast food monkey
From then until graduated high school, stock monkey for a store.
For the first year of college, lab tech for a chemical company (more monkey work, mostly turning large quantities of sometimes dangerous chemicals into small quantities).
For the second year of college, reveled in Ronald Reagan's Peak Unemployment (well into the double-digits).
Eventually wound up working first part time for a restaurant, eventually becoming dictator. I suppose the dictator portion did take some training, although my 12 hour work day was still largely grunt work because now it was peak employment and grunts were hard to come by.

At that point, I had enough. Been doing white collar stuff for more than 30 years now.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I spent 9 months sacking groceries, a few months doing factory work as a temp, and then 11 years in two different call centers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've done door-to-door surveys, phone sales, waitering, and bookstore retail (I'm counting the clerking, not the later management). I've also done a lot of summer yard work, but as church youthgroup charity, not a paid job.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Every summer in high school and most of college was spent working for my father in a hot mix plant (asphalt, for you layman). You haven’t lived until you’ve shoveled 300 degree hot mix spillover off a loading ramp for 8 hours. One summer they promoted me to night watchman of a plant that was being closed out in the far reaches of rural Ohio. That lasted all of 2 weeks...until I shot a temperature gauge one night when I was startled by dogs or something. It was at that moment I also realized I should never, ever own a gun.

After that I did a short stint as a copy editor (read: proofreader) at a law publishing firm before getting sacked. Then I bummed around in retail, temp office work and crappy tech support jobs before moving to Chicago and beginning my career as a gigolo to the stars.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

grocery bagger, cart pusher, custodian at a grocery chain during high school & college years.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm Do you mean in adult life? I'm guessing there are a lot of people here who did labor jobs during high school and college, but not after getting a degree.
This. I worked from 13-20 in 'unskilled labor', not sure anything since then.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:46 pm
This. I worked from 13-20 in 'unskilled labor', not sure anything since then.
For a good chunk of us, it's now the "hobby" of home ownership.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pre-college sure. As an adult... a few months as 'desk guard' in my first security job, and a stint as a nightclub bouncer (which required size, not expertise.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My first paying job not for my parents was bailing hay one summer.
Then I worked at a grocery store — maintenance (carts, cleaning and bathrooms), cashier then back desk counting down the money.
In college during summers, I worked in a factory 4 years. First it was line work and assembly, then putting light bulbs into blister packs, then shipping. During school, I eas the monthly mystery shopper.
One winter making tanning beds.
One winter paralegal work at a bank, with 2 days training.

The 5 years doing research at an accounting firm doesn’t count for Drazzil’s purposes. Neither does 20 years as a lawyer. I’m less healthy working my brain non-stop but it pays better.

The bone tiredness of getting exhausted is similar, so I see no reason to extoll the “simple working man.” That mythos become a goddamn trap that consumed my parents until they were used up, and discarded. My advice to young people is to learn any set of skills, then monetize it. It doesn’t have to be obviously a “career” track or college. A skilled plumber will do well.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 pm You haven’t lived until you’ve shoveled 300 degree hot mix spillover off a loading ramp for 8 hours.
#hotmixsummer
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 pm Every summer in high school and most of college was spent working for my father in a hot mix plant (asphalt, for you layman). You haven’t lived until you’ve shoveled 300 degree hot mix spillover off a loading ramp for 8 hours. One summer they promoted me to night watchman of a plant that was being closed out in the far reaches of rural Ohio. That lasted all of 2 weeks...until I shot a temperature gauge one night when I was startled by dogs or something. It was at that moment I also realized I should never, ever own a gun.

After that I did a short stint as a copy editor (read: proofreader) at a law publishing firm before getting sacked. Then I bummed around in retail, temp office work and crappy tech support jobs before moving to Chicago and beginning my career as a gigolo to the stars.
If only they had Stand Your Ground laws back then.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That temperature gauge clearly read "THREATENING" and not "275" like the witnesses all tried to say.

But seriously, I cannot stress this enough, I AM NOT the kind of person who should ever own a gun. I simply cannot emphasize that more.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 am That temperature gauge clearly read "THREATENING" and not "275" like the witnesses all tried to say.

But seriously, I cannot stress this enough, I AM NOT the kind of person who should ever own a gun. I simply cannot emphasize that more.
Your throwing star skills though...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Remember our last game of Crokinole? Or ANY flick game? How long were you in the hospital after any of those events?
He won. Period.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I received work-study financial aid during my undergraduate years at Yale. My second year of earning work-study dollars was working as the dishwasher during the dinner shift. I gained a lot of respect for folks who have to wash the dishes at restaurants and disgust for those who decided to be "funny" with their leftovers, dishes, and silverware. Like jamming all the forks and spoons into a single cup, or leaving little salt and pepper piles, or other combinations of leftovers such that it was disgusting or we had to put more effort into cleaning them. The absolute worst though was when the dishwashing machine was on the fritz and we had to wait until it was fixed. Meanwhile, dirty dishes kept piling up on trays outside.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If I am doing it, it is, by definition, skilled labor.

-- said someone skilled
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Vet assistant 3 yrs.
Waiter 2 months
Bartender 2 yrs
Retail clerk off and on, 4 yrs
Hotel clerk 1 yr
Telemarketer 6 mths
Sales, off and on for a total of 1 yr
Movie theatre floor person 3 mths
Tutor 1 yr
carpenter unskilledish, welder, framer, painter, electrician, stitcher, tailor: 3 yrs - >developed as from into career

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.