Movie Randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Movie Randomness

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm When you saw it did Jaw's girlfriend wear braces?
She did until a couple of years ago. :oops:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:50 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 pm Live and Let Die is one of the Moore Bond movies which stands up well.
I wish it stood up as well as my memory of it does. Much like the song, it just seems to have a place in history that is better left remembered than experienced again for me.

As a kid, it was by far my favorite, though. So much I loved. Tattoo, the opening funeral, the 7 Up guy, creepy VooDoo for a child to see, etc... etc... etc... Maybe not by far... I Christopher Lee's Scaramnga was something I loved as well. For context Moonraker was the first Bond movie I saw in the Theatre (also still as a kid)....
You're mixing Live and Let Die and The Man WIth The Golden Gun. Nick Nack and Scaramanga were in Golden Gun.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:00 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 pm Live and Let Die is one of the Moore Bond movies which stands up well.
I wish it stood up as well as my memory of it does. Much like the song, it just seems to have a place in history that is better left remembered than experienced again for me.

As a kid, it was by far my favorite, though. So much I loved. Tattoo, the opening funeral, the 7 Up guy, creepy VooDoo for a child to see, etc... etc... etc... Maybe not by far... I Christopher Lee's Scaramnga was something I loved as well. For context Moonraker was the first Bond movie I saw in the Theatre (also still as a kid)....
You're mixing Live and Let Die and The Man WIth The Golden Gun. Nick Nack and Scaramanga were in Golden Gun.
That's why I said maybe not far. I'm not mixing them up. I'm mixing you up by not saying Man with the Golden Gun separately than Moonraker. The later was not one of my favorites but it was the first I saw in theatres.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:14 pm
hentzau wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:00 pm

That's why I said maybe not far. I'm not mixing them up. I'm mixing you up by not saying Man with the Golden Gun separately than Moonraker. The later was not one of my favorites but it was the first I saw in theatres.
Ah. Right, gotcha.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I suddenly have the strong urge to watch Brewster's Millions again. Haven't seen it since the mid 1980's. Its Richard Pryor and John Candy. Pryor inherits $300 million IF he can spend $30 million in 30 days and not just give it away and yet have nothing to show for it. Everyone thinks he is crazy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"He mailed it."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Saw a really strange movie called Vivarium last night. Definitely not my usual type of movie. Starring Jesse Eisenberg an and Imogen Poots, playing a couple looking for a house and finding themselves in a development they cannot leave.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I expected Imogen Poots to have a more successful career but never did I think her ultimate fate would be getting stuck in Hell with Jesse Eisenberg.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Getting past a last name like "Poots" has got to have its challenges.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get Poots and Doody mixed up.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I feel sorry for your laundry!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery was good for a few chuckles as a Bond sendup. If I hadn't just watched the Bond movies, I would have missed out on those. Apart from those references (Alotta Fagina? LOL), it's hard to believe we thought the character was so hilarious back in the day. And yet we did, to the tune of two successful sequels.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I don't know if we laughed too much at Goldmember. That might be the worst conedy I paid to see. Ugh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As a kid I laughed at the name Octopussy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:48 pm I don't know if we laughed too much at Goldmember. That might be the worst conedy I paid to see. Ugh.
Good thing you didn't pay to see The Love Guru or View from the Top.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me: There's 90 minutes of my life I"ll never get back. I can understand why Verne Troyer killed himself.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tonight my son's school had movie night - Lego Movie 2. Seemed like a good idea, bring the whole family! Sleeping bags and beach chairs!

Wife didn't go, she works tonight and went to sleep. Daughter curled up on the kitchen chair and fell asleep 5 minutes before we left. I moved her to the couch where she remains as of this writing. The boy and I went, and one of his classmates put down his blanket next to us.

They actually stopped the movie halfway though to tell the kids to find their parents and be quiet. The damage was long done, I couldn't hear anything and hadn't a clue what was going on. Son refused to sit still and shortly after his friend's mom had enough and left, we left as well.

Boy: "Daddy I liked that movie!"
Me: "Oh yeah? What was it about?"
Boy: "Legos."
Me: "What was the story?"
Boy: "Ummmm..."
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To be fair, if you asked me the same questions, you'd get the same answers. Except I didn't like it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Latest movie to be filmed locally. James vs His Future Self, starring Daniel Stern. I actually recognize quite a few locations in this one, most prominently the park by the lake they've filmed at during the daytime.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To Have and Have Not. 1944, Howard Hawks directing Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in a script by John Steinbeck based on the Hemingway novel. That's some serious star power there. It was Bogie & Bacall's first film together and her first major role at the tender age of 19; the chemistry between them is real -- they began "seeing each other" during production and married after it came out. Oh, and big supporting roles for Walter Brennan and Hoagy Carmichael. According to the TMC intro, Steinbeck bet Hemingway that he could make a great movie out of what the author considered his worst novel. Very reminiscent of, and overshadowed by, Casablanca, it is well worth its 100 minutes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We watched "The 400 Blows" with my boys (15 and 13).

It's French, 1950s, and socially concerned, which makes it pretty much the opposite of every Marvel movie ever made, but my kids were entranced by the youthful enthusiastic amoralism. I suppose I should be worried, but they seemed to get the point.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We started watching The Secret Life of Pets in the ER last night waiting for my daughter to get stitched up after a run in with the corner of our coffee table (Coffee Table 1, 5 year old girl 0), but it terrified her brother too much to continue watching. I need to go Clockwork Orange on that boy and desensitize him to scary stuff.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope your daughter is okay!
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Five stitches on her right upper cheek just about a half inch from her eye. Could have been a lot worse if she had actually made contact with her eye instead of her cheek. She was back to trying to cause fights with her brother that night, so that's unfortunately a sign that she's doing well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I need to introduce my youngest (15) to the idea of pulp era superheroes. I'm thinking The Shadow or The Phantom. Any thoughts? Alternate suggestions? (I already know about The Rocketeer.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image

Linked, here.

NOTE:
This series is loosely based on the Golden Age series which ran from 1941 to 1946. This series actually ran six years, a year longer then the original golden age series. Unlike the light hearted golden age stories which were light and fast paced fun, these stories are very dark and very adult featuring torture, murder, rape, nudity, mutilation, incest and other very mature subjects.
As an added bonus, you'd be setting him up to read one of the greatest comic books ever written (IMHO), but given the weight, I also might not be a good parent. No idea how difficult it would be to get copies of the original run this was based off of.

EDIT: I see now this is "Movie Randomness" and I apparently am not paying attention to topic headers. Kindly ignore my ramblings.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I can help here!

You all know of my love of The Rocketeer, so, I won't go in saying that this should be your default pulp superhero movie to show them. But this should be your default pulp superhero movie to show them.

Of the two you mentioned, I love the Phantom, as goofy as it is. Billy Zane plays the role with a gee-whiz earnestness that is great, Catherine Zeta Jones is great as the femme fatale, and Treat Williams doesn't chew the scenery, he makes a seven course meal out of it. Can't go wrong with Ghost-Who-Walks.

The Shadow is OK. I rewatched it recently, and thought that Alec Baldwin was pretty good as Lamont Cranston. Solid supporting cast, but pretty forgettable.

Some other ideas:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Was amazed by the effects when this movie was released, and a recent re-watch shows that the effects have not aged well. But for a movie shot entirely with blue screen, not a bad attempt. You can see the influences of the Max Felischer Superman cartoons in the design of the giant robots, and that's not a bad thing. Story is kind of silly, but, with a pulp movie, that's to be expected. Made me want to see a Crimson Skies movie, though.

Dick Tracy. OK, so. It's bright. Like really bright. But I do like this movie. Beatty had a vision, and he stuck to it. Huge cast of supporting stars, many of which are hidden behind layers of makeup. The Elfman soundtrack makes you feel that it's part of the Batman movie franchise, but in a much more colorful part of the world. Madonna does a pretty kick-ass job as Breathless Mahoney, and the musical numbers were great (most of the musical numbers were written by Stephen Sondheim). Give it a try, it's not a great movie, but I enjoy watching it for what it is.

Flash Gordon: Goofy fun. Great soundtrack. Horrible movie, but if you come in with the right attitude, you can enjoy it. First time I saw it, I was looking for a serious movie. I didn't get it, and was really disappointed.

Doc Savage: Don't even think you can find this one, but I remember hating it as a kid. Haven't seen it in forever.

(I may think of others, I'll add as I go.)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I love Doc Savage for the shirt alone. Especially the sleeve that is down to only a cuff.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I would love it if someone would have the balls to make a real Doc Savage movie.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I love the Doc Savage movie, but only because I don't have any other option to see Doc Savage on the screen. :(

I also much prefer the Shadow with Alec Baldwin over Billy Zane's The Phantom. I think it's due to the uncomfortable looking and wildly colored costume of the latter. The easy cool of The Shadow wins out every time, if you ask me. Plus, Baldwin was great in the role. It also doesn't hurt that they were surprisingly faithful to the original source material. They didn't try to move it to present time, they didn't shy away from his past as an evil doer, and they didn't give him any super equipment. He was just a bad ass who could make you forget he was standing in front of you if he wanted.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, but the Phantom was really faithful to source material too!

I bet you were upset because they didn't include his kids, Kit and Heloise.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Phantom used to run a daily strip that was carried in the Chicago Tribune. My dad and I would always read it and compare notes. When the movie came out, I was dead broke while still in law school. My Father's Day gift to my dad that year was taking him to see The Phantom. It's a super cheesy movie, but we enjoyed it and I will always remember it fondly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks for all of the recommendations. My son's in my RPG group, and we'll soon be running content that includes multiple genres. Most he's familiar with, but a few he hasn't had much recent exposure to. One is cyberpunk, although I know where to go for that. He has little experience with pulp superheroes (beyond a few episodes of the old Batman serials from the 40s), so I want to get him at least somewhat into the mindset. The source material has some suggestions, but I don't have time to go through all of them, and I haven't seen either of those, thus my post. Oh, and another possibility on the 'suggested watching' list was The Mask of Zorro, although the period is a bit off.

And yes, as with the props request, this is Torg Eternity.

The only one I'm really beating my head against is near-future Japan with corporate intrigue and Yakuza hijinks. I don't know much of anything about that setting.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rooster Cogburn (1975): John Wayne reprises his best (IMO) character, from True Grit, opposite Katherine Hepburn. Two of the greats near the end of their careers obviously enjoyed working together. The story has some clever twists, but it's really all about the two of them playing off one another. I LOL'd many times.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Girl, Interrupted (1999). A depressed young lady checks herself into a mental institution and learns what crazy really is. Wynona Rider is the lead in this autobiographical movie, but Angelina Jolie steals every scene she's in (and won a deserved Oscar for doing it). One could dismiss this as "Cuckoo's Nest for chicks," but I would punch that one in the nose. Great cast, some great acting, and a heartfelt and mostly authentic storyline -- although people who've actually been in mental institutions commented on some major Hollywood dramatization scenes that aren't (I'm told) in the book. Realistic or not, they fit in well enough.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Aniara (2019): Subtitled Swedish sf is not going to be for everyone. I wasn't sure it was for me while I was watching it. But it stuck with me for days after, and that's a good recommendation. The premise is that people fleeing a dying Earth are emigrating to Mars on luxurious space liners; Aniara is a ship on a three-week cruise that gets lost after the weather starts getting rough.
Spoiler:
It does not reach Gilligan's Island.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just watched 1993's True Romance written by Quentin Tarantino pre-Pulp Fiction, directed by Tony Scott. It's not exactly War and Peace (but what is?), but features an all star cast before many were famous:

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette - funny to see these two get top billing over:

Dennis Hopper
Val Kilmer
Brad Pitt
Gary Oldman
Samuel L. Jackson
Christopher Walken
James Gandolfini
Chris Penn
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Y'know, I don't think I'd seen Soylent Green since it came out in 1973. It holds up reasonably well, considering its big reveal has become a trope. It's 2022, and the greenhouse effect has destroyed the environment. Hey, they only missed it by about 15 years. It has its share of cheese: Fight scenes are poorly done, and did that bright red stuff really pass for blood back then? But it's a cool dystopia made at a time when utopian sf was more prevalent, and there's some nice furniture. Written by Harry Harrison, with Charlton Heston, Chuck "The Rifleman" Connors, and Edward G Robinson in his last role.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yesterday -- that's the one about a world where only one guy remembers the Beatles -- is the best rom-com I've seen in years. If your tastes extend to that genre, it's clever, Lily James is cute as a bug, and Kate McKinnon is perfectly cast. Plus, good soundtrack.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had been showing the trailers to my wife last year. It did look good.
I don't think I'd seen Soylent Green since it came out in 1973
Suddenly Damnation Alley and Logans Run have popped into my head.