2019 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Lorini »

LA Times confirms that despite reports, USC has not made a decision on Helton.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:42 pm LA Times confirms that despite reports, USC has not made a decision on Helton.
Next will be a "vote of confidence." :roll:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

First things first:

War Eagle!!!

Whew, what an incredible Iron Bowl. Auburn has now beaten Saban's Alabama teams 5 times, easily more than any other team. In fact, since the game moved from Birmingham to the campuses in the late 1980's, Alabama has yet to win at Jordan-Hare when both teams are ranked.

Personally, I never felt that this Alabama team was destined to win the National Title. Key injuries crippled their defense at the start of the season, and they never really played up to their normal standard on that side of the ball all year long. Still, I'm very happy that Auburn was the team to end their playoff run.

The downside to Auburn's victory is that the State of Alabama's streak of appearing in the NCAA's 2/4 game playoff will finally end. From 2009 to 2018 either Alabama or Auburn played in the BCS or Playoff, appearing in 9 National Title games and winning 6 Titles during that period (along with 3 Heisman Trophies). For a state that loves college football as much as we do, it was truly a Golden Age.

Finally, Utah and Oklahoma fans: You're Welcome! :mrgreen:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chris Petersen just stepped down as Washington's head coach. :shock:

I know they underachieved this year, but I did not see that one coming.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, I think 'SC will make a run, but probably be rebuffed.

I also think that this means UW makes a run at Cal's Justin Wilcox, regardless of Lake. At least to kick the tires.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I see it more that Lake was positioned to take another HC gig, and WA wanted to keep him. Either way, that’s a very sudden and unexpected switch.

Hearing rumors of Leach to Arkansas as well. P12 might look a lot different next year.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Let's be honest, the country does not want to see Utah in the College Football Playoff. C'mon...It's Utah."
Dear Paul Finebaum,

Kindly get bent, you sad SEC honk.

Sincerely,
Everyone

In other news, Helton is staying at USC
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's Utah's spot to lose. I think if the committee was going to put Oklahoma in, they would have ranked them 5th.
Hodor.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Finebaum is a tool. He ticked off bama fans this week so now he's going after Clemson and Utah. It's all about the attention and ratings

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For the record, I'd have the same reaction if Finebaum had said that about any team. The idea that popularity should be a deciding factor for who does and doesn't get into the CFP is just stupid.

If he wants to make an argument for OU getting in over Utah based on merit (which there are plenty), that's fine. But to say that they shouldn't in be in because they're not popular enough or won't draw enough eyeballs? Get the fuck outta here.

Coach Whit probably appreciates the bulletin board material though. Friday's going to be a tough game, Oregon's a good team. The battle between their O-line and Utah's D-line will be the deciding factor, imo.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And, maybe it's just me since I'm not a huge follower of college football, but I would actually be more interested in watching the playoffs if Utah were in. I'm pretty tired of seeing the same five or six teams in the playoffs every year. Plus, who doesn't like an underdog?
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 pm And, maybe it's just me since I'm not a huge follower of college football, but I would actually be more interested in watching the playoffs if Utah were in. I'm pretty tired of seeing the same five or six teams in the playoffs every year. Plus, who doesn't like an underdog?
It's not just you.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Akron vs. UMass.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:36 pm For the record, I'd have the same reaction if Finebaum had said that about any team. The idea that popularity should be a deciding factor for who does and doesn't get into the CFP is just stupid.
I agree, but that argument is always used by Bama fans to explain why they should get in when they don't win the SEC.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:36 pm For the record, I'd have the same reaction if Finebaum had said that about any team. The idea that popularity should be a deciding factor for who does and doesn't get into the CFP is just stupid.
I agree, but that argument is always used by Bama fans to explain why they should get in when they don't win the SEC.
Never heard one Bama fan say that. The argument has always been Bama was one of the 4 best even if they didn't win the SEC. Definitely not the case this year. If they had beat Auburn badly then maybe but the defense was just nowhere near championship caliber this year.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yeah, I hate Alabama, but I have never heard that excuse from an Alabama fan. Alabama proved that you don't need to win the SEC to be the best team when they lost to LSU 9-6 in 2011, knocking them out of the SEC championship, and went on to destroy LSU 21-0 in the National Championship game.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 pm
Alabama fans argue about getting in because they think they are one of the four best teams and, for five years in a row, they were right. They're definitely not talking about getting in now, though. But then every time you bring up Alabama in this thread you sound just like an Auburn fan, so I guess comments like this one shouldn't surprise me.

War Eagle, brother. :P
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I heard it used prior to the Auburn game, but not after.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Biggest game in program history today. The ramifications of either a win or a loss against Oregon in the P12 CCG will be massive for Utah.

Wish it wasn't going to be a soggy, windy mess for the game (80% chance of rain with 18-22 mph winds forecasted), but I think that might actually play to Utah's favor. Still, weather like that can make weird things happen on both sides.

Guessing we'll see a nasty, old-school, grind it out game, with Utah coming out on top 21-17. Here's hoping, and GO UTES!!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

On Saturday either Baylor or Oklahoma is out, and either LSU or Georgia is out. So great opportunity for Utah.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:On Saturday either Baylor or Oklahoma is out, and either LSU or Georgia is out. So great opportunity for Utah.
Or, Utah could be out tonight. FWIW, LSU is probably in regardless of what happens in Atlanta. tOSU as well.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I think a big win for Utah and a close win for Baylor will put Utah in. At least I hope it will. I'm tired of seeing Oklahoma get in and then lose the first game every year.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Here's my ultimate wishlist for this weekend:

1. Utah wins, preferably big (obviously if this doesn't happen, then I don't much care about the rest)
2. Baylor beats Oklahoma in the ugliest 2-0 game ever
3. LSU beats Georgia
4. Virginia beats Clemson (will never happen, but hey...a guy can hope, right?)
5. tOSU gets a scare from Wisconsin, proving they're actually human

Then your final four would be OSU, LSU, Utah, and Baylor. 8-)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:14 am On Saturday either Baylor or Oklahoma is out, and either LSU or Georgia is out. So great opportunity for Utah.
I would agree the loser of Baylor/Oklahoma is out. But if LSU loses I think Georgia and LSU will get in the playoffs. I wouldn't agree with it, but that is how the committee has done it in the past.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am I think a big win for Utah and a close win for Baylor will put Utah in. At least I hope it will. I'm tired of seeing Oklahoma get in and then lose the first game every year.
That Rose Bowl against Georgia was pretty awesome. No problems with that one. Last year - yeah, but they got off to a horrible start and couldn't close the gap. They did a lot better than Notre Dame did however (who got smacked by Clemson, who then smacked Alabama as well).

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IMHO, there will be one huge upset this weekend - which one will it be?

1. Georgia over LSU?

2. Wisconsin over tOSU?

3. Virginia over Clemson?

I'm going with Wisconsin over tOSU. tOSU has had completely inexplicable stumbles every year until this one (thus far). In order to believe they aren't due, I have to believe that Ryan Day is a better coach than Urban Meyer. I'm not ready to do so yet. They've already waxed Wisconsin once, and just destroyed their primary rival. They are expecting a coronation, but if they aren't prepared to play their best ball, Wisconsin can beat them with some fantastic special teams play and turnovers if tOSU doesn't take it seriously.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think all the favorites will win except LSU, resulting in the maximum chaos.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Am I the only one who thinks that this is Ohio State's year, and that it doesn't really matter who else gets in? I haven't seen a team all year that I thought could beat Ohio State (and I'm including Alabama with a healthy Tua). The only real wildcard, IMHO, is Clemson, who always has close calls during the regular season, but turns it up to 11 come playoff time.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, this sucks (halftime). Did not see this meltdown coming.

Kudos to Oregon, they’re absolutely kicking our ass right now. Losing our all-conference safety (looks like he blew his knee on a complete non-contact fluke) and our best receiver (looks like a concussion) doesn’t help matters any.

Even if we do somehow pull a miracle and find a way to come back, we’ve absolutely (and rightfully) played ourselves out of the playoff discussion.

EDIT: Absolutely terrible line play on both sides of the ball doomed us from the start. Huntley was running for his life, and Moss simply had nowhere to go.

Not gonna lie though, this one hurts. A team like Utah doesn't get many chances like this, and to simply get smacked around like that is just...oof. Only silver lining is that now I don't have to pay any attention tomorrow. Maybe I'll actually get something done around the house. :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oregon outcoached you. The early zone reads with Herbert keeping it really surprised your defense. They flashed on the goal line stands, but gave up some big plays, and that first drive having Moss get stuffed was huge.

Third quarter comeback was good, but the fourth down miss killed you again.

Well done by oregon. Sorry it crushed you though.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So the Ducks are in the Rose Bowl? Vs who?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:So the Ducks are in the Rose Bowl? Vs who?
Won't know until tomorrow. Probably Penn state, Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:57 am Oregon outcoached you. The early zone reads with Herbert keeping it really surprised your defense. They flashed on the goal line stands, but gave up some big plays, and that first drive having Moss get stuffed was huge.

Third quarter comeback was good, but the fourth down miss killed you again.

Well done by oregon. Sorry it crushed you though.
That was probably the best game Oregon has played all year.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Come on, Wisconsin!
Hodor.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What happens if Wisconsin wins? OSU drops to 3? Maybe Wisconsin gets in?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OSU gave a clinic in half time adjustments.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yep. Completely different team. Very dominant in the 2nd half.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:50 am OSU gave a clinic in half time adjustments.
Yes they did. OSU came out in the second half and just shut them down.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Tennessee starts 1-4 and finishes strong to get a Jan. 2 bowl. I would have laughed in anyone’s face in September had I been told that.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs