2019 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

Jesus, Oregon. WTF was that?

I especially liked how Herbert threw the last ditch Hail Mary 5 yards out of the end zone. :D
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

As much as I wanted to beat USC I hope Daniels isn't out for the year.
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:27 pm Jesus, Oregon. WTF was that?

I especially liked how Herbert threw the last ditch Hail Mary 5 yards out of the end zone. :D
As an Auburn fan, I've learned to take our wins however we can get them. Still, you have to wonder how a team that was 8-5 last year with a lame duck coach and a true freshman QB ended up ranked #16 in the preseason polls.

Now if we can just beat Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, Georgia, and Alabama we might have a good year. :mrgreen:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:38 am As much as I wanted to beat USC I hope Daniels isn't out for the year.
Heard xrays were negative and he’s expected back this year. Haven’t heard an exact time frame though.

Your dudes put up a good fight, was hoping they’d pull it out.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:48 am
Scuzz wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:38 am As much as I wanted to beat USC I hope Daniels isn't out for the year.
Heard xrays were negative and he’s expected back this year. Haven’t heard an exact time frame though.

Your dudes put up a good fight, was hoping they’d pull it out.
That 14-0 deficit early on, and then the kickoff return for a TD was to much to overcome.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

USC QB Daniels has torn ACL and meniscus. Out for the season.

Adding insult to injury, their other 4-star QB (Jack Sears) just entered the transfer portal last week because he didn’t win the starting job. Whoops.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan started out with an uninspiring win against Middle Tennessee State University. There were issues on both sides of the ball, but watch how I use the powers of rationalization to gloss over them!

On defense, we gave up 21 points to a C-USA team breaking in a new starting QB. The first two TDs were on short fields following turnovers, however, and the last one came in garbage time. I would have liked to see more pressure on the QB, but the game plan seemed focused on him not holding onto the ball very long.

On offense, most of the problems were self-inflicted. A careless turnover here, a dropped pass there, some unnecessary trickery with two QB sets. It's the first game under a new offensive coordinator with a wildly different offense than Michigan ran last year, though, so some fits and starts are understandable.

We weren't really in any real danger of losing (after all, how could MTSU beat any Big Ten team in any major sport, amiright?), but it would have been more fun to see more domination.
Xmann wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:45 pm
Skinypupy wrote:
Xmann wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 am Headed down shortly to Neyland Stadium for my first Tennessee football game since 1996 and my son's first, ever.
Oof, sorry you had to witness that debacle firsthand.

Did a double-take when I saw that score.
No words
Believe me, I know how you feel. :(
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

NU-CU game was really good. NEB still has some work to do but Frost has them.going the right way I think. But good on CU to win that after showing absolutely nothing in the first half and being down 17-0.

And also Clemson is really good.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh Tennessee...how do you let that happen?? :? I think BYU may have just gotten a coaching staff fired.

Speaking of coaching staffs, how much patience does UCLA have with Chip? That's two really bad losses in a row, and DTR looks awful.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Oh Tennessee...how do you let that happen?? :? I think BYU may have just gotten a coaching staff fired.

Speaking of coaching staffs, how much patience does UCLA have with Chip? That's two really bad losses in a row, and DTR looks awful.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:41 pm Oh Tennessee...how do you let that happen?? :? I think BYU may have just gotten a coaching staff fired.

As I said last week, Chip was supposed to bring an offense that, if nothing else, outscored the opposition. But UCLA is dreadful on offense.
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:41 pm Oh Tennessee...how do you let that happen?? :? I think BYU may have just gotten a coaching staff fired.

As I said last week, Chip was supposed to bring an offense that, if nothing else, outscored the opposition. But UCLA is dreadful on offense.
What happened to y'all's RB? Kid was from Plano, TX and I know the Horns were recruiting him but lost to UCLA. I think he'd be a senior by now (possibly graduated) but I never heard much about him after he left the state. Tough, even in the second year of a program rebuild, to still be having to bring in new kids and expect them to play like seniors. No doubt some do but those are 1 in a million

Rough beat down for my Horns tonight. We left a ton of points on the field and whether you want to credit outstanding lsu def play or blame predictability in the playcalling or if you just want to blame the poor kid who dropped a wide open td pass. It was still out there to be taken and Texas did not. Usually you lose those kinds of games. And you always lose them to an exceptional team. And lsu is exceptional.

Looking forward to next week with GameDay going to Iowa St. Their first ever trip. Love those 'first evers'. They always do it up right
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wake up to see that Cal beat Washington (in Seattle, in a weather delayed game that ended at 4am ET :shock: ) and USCs backup QB is apparently the second coming of Peyton Manning. Good to know that utter chaos still reigns in the PAC 12, and that we’re doing an excellent job of cannibalizing ourselves right out of postseason contention

Some things never change. :)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 am Wake up to see that Cal beat Washington (in Seattle, in a weather delayed game that ended at 4am ET :shock: ) and USCs backup QB is apparently the second coming of Peyton Manning. Good to know that utter chaos still reigns in the PAC 12, and that we’re doing an excellent job of cannibalizing ourselves right out of postseason contention

Some things never change. :)
I watched some of the Cal-Wash game and Washington didn't look very good. But it was still the first half. I didn't know until now that they lost.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

GungHo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 am
Scuzz wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:13 am

What happened to y'all's RB? Kid was from Plano, TX and I know the Horns were recruiting him but lost to UCLA. I think he'd be a senior by now (possibly graduated) but I never heard much about him after he left the state. Tough, even in the second year of a program rebuild, to still be having to bring in new kids and expect them to play like seniors. No doubt some do but those are 1 in a million

Rough beat down for my Horns tonight. We left a ton of points on the field and whether you want to credit outstanding lsu def play or blame predictability in the playcalling or if you just want to blame the poor kid who dropped a wide open td pass. It was still out there to be taken and Texas did not. Usually you lose those kinds of games. And you always lose them to an exceptional team. And lsu is exceptional.

Looking forward to next week with GameDay going to Iowa St. Their first ever trip. Love those 'first evers'. They always do it up right
Yeah, that was a rough night. Ehlinger is going to scramble his brains if they keep on running him like that. But damn if that Burrows kid can't spin it...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Michigan-Army game was an ugly slog, as is to be expected when a team runs the triple option flexbone or whatever the heck that is. I was actually pretty pleased with how the defense played overall. It's hard to stop Army from getting their 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Michigan's offense left a lot to be desired, though. Whether by design, because of injuries, or just bad decision making by Patterson, the new offense is a dud so far. Patterson almost never keeps the ball even when he'd be able to pull it for a big gain. There is some speculation that he's injured or that they're keeping the lid on the offense until the Big 10 season starts. The ground game seems to start off OK with true freshman Zach Charbonnet living up to his hype, but once the defense realizes they can key on him because Patterson isn't going to run, they shut us down. It's not surprising that it was a close game (Army took OU to OT last year), but it's still disappointing.

Because of weird Notre Dame related scheduling Michigan is off next week before heading to Madison. Here's to hoping we use the time to get healthy and figure out our offense, because we're going to get curb stomped if we play the Badgers the way we played our first two games.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:03 pmwe're going to get curb stomped if we play the Badgers the way we played our first two games.
So much of this and I am so very unhappy about it. Expected so much better. Patterson has to hang onto the frigging ball too. So many short fields for our opponents. Come on Michigan. I'm a Lions fan too. Don't make me endure this at both levels of play.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:03 pmwe're going to get curb stomped if we play the Badgers the way we played our first two games.
Patterson has to hang onto the frigging ball too. So many short fields for our opponents.
I'd have to go back and look but I remember him holding on the ball into a lot of sacks last year and backing them out of key field goals and first downs. I remember wishing he'd uncork a few into the sidelines. Or try to run/slide. Whatever to avoid a 10 yard loss.

I'm not optimistic at all but they have started out with some of the tougher cupcakes. Obviously not Notre Dame like last year but not the usual fodder.

At least the Lions are undefeated.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Remus West wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 pm
So much of this and I am so very unhappy about it. Expected so much better. Patterson has to hang onto the frigging ball too. So many short fields for our opponents. Come on Michigan. I'm a Lions fan too. Don't make me endure this at both levels of play.
The Badgers are looking tough too. The true road shutout of South Florida was an impressive win in my eyes.

As to my Bruins. Ouch. The lack of our playmakers is killing us, along with our QB taking a step backwards from where he was at the end of last season. The other thing is that the DBs were supposed to be a strength (even with our top CB yet to play a snap), but they have been playing WAY too soft, and getting WAY too many crucial PI calls when they aren't. It's fixable, but the question is why it needs to be fixed. It's frustrating.

It was also bloody hot at the Rose Bowl this weekend. I think I came closer than I ever have in my life to heat stroke - my friends were telling me at halftime on the concourse that I looked like I was melting!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:03 pm The Michigan-Army game was an ugly slog, as is to be expected when a team runs the triple option flexbone or whatever the heck that is.
I hated, hated, hated playing Air Force every year back in the MWC days. It was always a weird, ugly game that the team could never really take anything away from. If you got out of it with a win (regardless of score) and no injuries, it was a success.
Pyperkub wrote:It was also bloody hot at the Rose Bowl this weekend. I think I came closer than I ever have in my life to heat stroke - my friends were telling me at halftime on the concourse that I looked like I was melting!
Ours was brutal on Saturday as well. Didn't help that the game started at 11am. Leaving home for a football game at 8:30am was...odd.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

My Auburn Tigers won again, but not convincingly. We have a Playoff-caliber defense and a High School offense led by a true freshman QB and a mediocre coach. We are probably the most overrated team in the AP top 20 at the moment.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:41 pm My Auburn Tigers won again, but not convincingly. We have a Playoff-caliber defense and a High School offense led by a true freshman QB and a mediocre coach. We are probably the most overrated team in the AP top 20 at the moment.
Michigan Fans may have something to say about that...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:03 pm
Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:41 pm My Auburn Tigers won again, but not convincingly. We have a Playoff-caliber defense and a High School offense led by a true freshman QB and a mediocre coach. We are probably the most overrated team in the AP top 20 at the moment.
But since the playoff started, 100% of Power Five teams that beat Army in overtime have gone on to make the final four. :mrgreen:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 pm
But since the playoff started, 100% of Power Five teams that beat Army in overtime have gone on to make the final four. :mrgreen:
Dang! If only I knew a bookie... it must be a LOCK! (toll charges may apply...)

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Apollo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 pm
I like the way you think!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In other news... Lynn Swann resignes as USC AD:
USC athletic director Lynn Swann has resigned, university president Carol L. Folt announced in a letter Monday.

In the letter addressed to the "Trojan Community," Folt said Swann's resignation is effective immediately and called him "a leader on and off the field at USC for nearly five decades."

Folt, who was hired in March, said the fact that she's putting together a new leadership team at the university led to Swann's decision.
Not unexpected, given that he probably would have been fired earlier had USC not been in the middle of a University President search, but things are going to be interesting at the University of Second Choice/Spoiled Children in the coming months. Helton has had a couple of good wins, but dear lord is that seat going to get hot if he loses a game....

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Seems Urban Meyer must have wanted some new blood.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm Seems Urban Meyer must have wanted some new blood.
So much speculation about this, but I'm not feeling it the same way that I did when the Ohio St job was under gossippy-disscussion.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It doesn't feel as inevitable as Meyer to OSU did, but that may be in part due to OSU having an interim head coach that year while USC has a (nominal) permanent head coach at this point. Switching ADs makes a change more likely, though.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm It doesn't feel as inevitable as Meyer to OSU did, but that may be in part due to OSU having an interim head coach that year while USC has a (nominal) permanent head coach at this point. Switching ADs makes a change more likely, though.
With a new female University President and the fact that Swann was fired due to the scandals the University has been caught up in lately, I now feel that there is basically no chance for Urban Meyer to be the next USC coach. He may still take a coaching job somewhere next year, but unless Lincoln Riley gets an NFL job or FSU fires their coach at the end of the year, nothing looks likely. I now believe that it's most likely he stays in broadcasting for at least another year.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We have an app for that!
this season, the university is rewarding students who attend games — and stay until the fourth quarter — with an alluring prize: improved access to tickets to the SEC championship game and to the College Football Playoff semifinals and championship game, which Alabama is trying to reach for the fifth consecutive season.

But to do this, Alabama is taking an extraordinary, Orwellian step: using location-tracking technology from students’ phones to see who skips out and who stays.

“It’s kind of like Big Brother,” said Allison Isidore, a graduate student in religious studies from Montclair, N.J.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Draw straws. Whoever loses has to take everyone's drop phones and stay until the end of the game and then meet later the at the bar to return the phones.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm Draw straws. Whoever loses has to take everyone's drop phones and stay until the end of the game and then meet later the at the bar to return the phones.
You just make the pledges do it. They're already on the hook to hold the open bleachers from the time the gates open.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's a waste of manpower (and perfectly good tickets) when seats are assigned. If not seats, rows for sure.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Student seating at my university was cattle call metal bleachers.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Wasn't a cattle call at Michigan, but students rarely sat in their assigned seats back in my day.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

We had assigned seats when I went to Virginia Tech. Pretty decent ones on the sideline, too.

Gotta buy season tickets to guarantee access to all games; they started that process when I was a student. Otherwise, it's a lottery process.
Hodor.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Kind of a slow day Sat but this hit...😳
OR

-Hiccup
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I saw that live. He needed 15 yards I think on 4th down and ended up getting 14.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But he did get some frequent flier miles.