2019 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Re: 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Lassr »

Bama vs Michigan, I like the matchup. Felt like Bama got screwed in the final rankings but it means facing Michigan then it worked out. Playing someone like Memphis or Virginia was just blah. Hopefully the players will be motivated to face Michigan; those that play. I have a feeling we may have a lot sit and we get a preview of next years team.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I see my alma mater is favored to lose in the Whogivesafuck Bowl. Still not gonna make time to watch bad football.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm I see my alma mater is favored to lose in the Whogivesafuck Bowl. Still not gonna make time to watch bad football.
Thanks for coming to remind us that you think college football is bad. Again. That input is certainly valuable to this discussion. :roll:

I’m actually kind of excited for Utah’s Alamo Bowl matchup against Texas. Bugged that we’re playing an unranked team in a de facto road game, but it’s probably what we deserve after the epic faceplant against Oregon.

We do a ton of recruiting in Texas and going up against a “name” B12 school we haven’t played before is pretty cool.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have only gotten to see Utah play for about thirty minutes. I'm looking forward to this game and hope they do very well.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 pm Bama vs Michigan, I like the matchup. Felt like Bama got screwed in the final rankings but it means facing Michigan then it worked out. Playing someone like Memphis or Virginia was just blah. Hopefully the players will be motivated to face Michigan; those that play. I have a feeling we may have a lot sit and we get a preview of next years team.
The Michigan fanbase is dreading this matchup. The hope is that Alabama players aren't motivated and/or opt to sit out for NFL purposes, but we've seen enough of what happens when our four stars play a bunch of five stars.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 am
Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 pm Bama vs Michigan, I like the matchup. Felt like Bama got screwed in the final rankings but it means facing Michigan then it worked out. Playing someone like Memphis or Virginia was just blah. Hopefully the players will be motivated to face Michigan; those that play. I have a feeling we may have a lot sit and we get a preview of next years team.
The Michigan fanbase is dreading this matchup. The hope is that Alabama players aren't motivated and/or opt to sit out for NFL purposes, but we've seen enough of what happens when our four stars play a bunch of five stars.
You would think Harbaugh could actually motivate a team to play Bama.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 am I have only gotten to see Utah play for about thirty minutes. I'm looking forward to this game and hope they do very well.
Depends on which Utah team shows up, tbh. The team that got pushed around and dominated on the lines in the CCG was something we hadn't seen all year long. They looked like a team that had bought into their own hype and forgot they had to show up and actually play the game. If they get their heads back on straight, they should do pretty well.

It also depends, of course, on how many of the NFL-bound guys decide to sit it out. I'm hearing they all want to play, but to see both Blackmon (starting safety) and his backup both blow up their ACL's on freak non-contact plays in the CCG might give them pause.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Coach Whitt tends to have his team ready for bowl games AFAIK.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:19 am
I'll take it. Win and it's a major victory. Lose and it's what everyone expected.

At least it's a meaningful bowl game (for Michigan).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:34 am Coach Whitt tends to have his team ready for bowl games AFAIK.
Usually, yes. Last year's loss was a bit of an outlier, since we were playing almost entirely second stringers due to a rash of injuries.

Unfortunately, Whit is getting a bit of a reputation for not being able to win big games. He's now 1-8 against top 15 teams since joining the P12. We do well against mid-tier teams, but seem to flop every time we come up against a quality opponent. I love Whit and think he does a great job overall, but that trend has certainly become a bit concerning.

I also read that the P12 South is now 1-8 against the North in the CCG. I hadn't realized it was that lopsided.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:07 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:34 am Coach Whitt tends to have his team ready for bowl games AFAIK.
Usually, yes. Last year's loss was a bit of an outlier, since we were playing almost entirely second stringers due to a rash of injuries.

Unfortunately, Whit is getting a bit of a reputation for not being able to win big games. He's now 1-8 against top 15 teams since joining the P12. We do well against mid-tier teams, but seem to flop every time we come up against a quality opponent. I love Whit and think he does a great job overall, but that trend has certainly become a bit concerning.

I also read that the P12 South is now 1-8 against the North in the CCG. I hadn't realized it was that lopsided.
Pretty much all the top teams in the last decade are in the north. Washington and Oregon mainly.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Looks like you get South Carolina grad transfer Jake Bentley as your QB next year in Utah, Skinypupy.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Pretty much all the top teams in the last decade are in the north. Washington and Oregon mainly.
You forgot Stanford.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:19 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 pm

You forgot Stanford.
I wasn't sure if Stanford was in the north or not.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:01 pm Looks like you get South Carolina grad transfer Jake Bentley as your QB next year in Utah, Skinypupy.
Heard he was considering Utah, was hoping he'd land here. I've never watched him play, but seeing all the love from SC fans on his Twitter announcement makes me quite optimistic. Seems like a really good character kid, if nothing else.

Weird to think that next year will be the first year we've had more than one 4-star QB recruit at Utah. We've actually got three, and they're all transfers: Bentley (from SC), Rising (from TX), and Powell (from Baylor).

After going through years of mediocre to flat out bad QB's, it's nice to actually have some potential talent at the position...on paper, at least. As recently as 2012, our starting QB was a guy who ended up at Utah only because Nebraska-Omaha dropped their football program entirely (Jon Hays). :lol:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You'd think so, but I'm not sure what your comment has to do with anything I said.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:46 am
You'd think so, but I'm not sure what your comment has to do with anything I said.
Not so much a comment on what you said but to Michigan's motivation. And I don't know that 5 star teams automatically beat 4 star teams without good coaching.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:30 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:46 am
Not so much a comment on what you said but to Michigan's motivation. And I don't know that 5 star teams automatically beat 4 star teams without good coaching.
I'm not questioning whether Michigan will be motivated. Presumably they will be. And 5 star teams don't automatically beat 4 star teams without good coaching, but I don't think anyone's arguing that Saban's not a good coach.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm
I'll take it. Win and it's a major victory. Lose and it's what everyone expected.

At least it's a meaningful bowl game (for Michigan).
This. If UM wins this game then people start looking to next year with hope rather than focusing on the last 2 years of OSU games being H's legacy for the next year.

Also, I'm still mad they kept Don Brown for this season instead of letting him go and promoting Mattison. Brown's defenses put up big numbers but are MIA in big games while Mattison, I felt, coached the best unit in those defenses during his tenure and he is an excellent coach. Hell, look at how much stronger OSU's defense was this year with him.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:29 am
McNutt wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 am I have only gotten to see Utah play for about thirty minutes. I'm looking forward to this game and hope they do very well.
Depends on which Utah team shows up, tbh. The team that got pushed around and dominated on the lines in the CCG was something we hadn't seen all year long. They looked like a team that had bought into their own hype and forgot they had to show up and actually play the game. If they get their heads back on straight, they should do pretty well.

It also depends, of course, on how many of the NFL-bound guys decide to sit it out. I'm hearing they all want to play, but to see both Blackmon (starting safety) and his backup both blow up their ACL's on freak non-contact plays in the CCG might give them pause.
It doesn't matter which team shows up, we're awful. If we keep it within 20 points I'll be pretty surprised.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don’t get it.

Air Force had a good season and is being rewarded with a bowl game. A silly named bowl game, sure, but still a fun matchup. That’s somehow “less than” an Army/Navy matchup because...? Are they skipping out on playing another service academy to do it or something?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No, it’s just the Army and Navy guys giving the Air Force shot for being in something called the Cheez-It Bowl.

100+ years of tradition vs. a snack food.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Weak smack, but ok. Not like AF has any control over Bowl sponsors.

I’m actually really looking forward to seeing the complete contrast in styles with Air Force and Wazzu. That’ll be a fascinating game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GungHo wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:53 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:29 am

It doesn't matter which team shows up, we're awful. If we keep it within 20 points I'll be pretty surprised.
We were already down one All-American safety (and his back-up) from injury when our Junior 1st team All-conference corner (Johnson) announced last night that he’s declaring for the draft and won’t be playing. Rumors are also flying this morning that Moss (P12 Offensive POY and best running back to ever play at Utah) is going to skip it as well.

As I feared, this game will basically be Texas playing against Utah’s backups. :( If I were a betting man, I’d put lots of money on Texas to win this one going away.

EDIT: Scratch that, sounds like Moss will play.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Eastern Michigan Senior QB gets tossed in the final 10 seconds for punching a Pitt player...then punching the ref in the face.

And when did Miami get this terrible? That 14-0 loss to Louisiana Tech was just bad.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He wasn't swinging at the ref.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:51 am He wasn't swinging at the ref.
Agreed. I should have included the word “accidentally” in my post.

Still, cold-cocking a ref in the jaw is never a good look for a player, even if done unintentionally.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Miami fired their OC today.

I saw some of that game while eating out last night. It did look like some Eastern Michigan players were a little "chippy", shall we say. They showed what looked like an EM player spitting at an opponent.

And punching a ref, even by accident, is never a good thing.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're less likely to hurt your hand on the ref's headgear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Glancing blow, the ref flopped!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watching the AF/Wazzu bowl game. Air Force just had a 21 play, 98 yard yard TD drive that took over 12 minutes. :shock:

SO glad we don’t have to play them anymore. That was always the weirdest game.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:50 pm Watching the AF/Wazzu bowl game. Air Force just had a 21 play, 98 yard yard TD drive that took over 12 minutes. :shock:

SO glad we don’t have to play them anymore. That was always the weirdest game.
And they were pretty good this year.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Oklahoma defense does not appear likely to make any stops in this game.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

LSU might score 90
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got out of a play with the kids and checked the score. Good lord, Burrows...and it’s not even halftime yet? :shock:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Six passing TDs in the first half so far. Incredible.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Make that seven.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is insane

I’m hindsight, I guess I’m glad it’s OK and not us.