2019 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msduncan

Re: 2019 NCAA Football Thread

Post by msduncan »

Alabama just finished off their 9th straight 11-win season.
For perspective:

- UGA has 11 11-win seasons all-time
- Florida has 9
- LSU has 8
- Vols have 8
- Auburn has 6
- Mizzou has 4
- A&M has 4
- ARK has 3
- UK has 1
- S. Carolina has 3
- Ole Miss, MSST, & Vandy have 0
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm Alabama just finished off their 9th straight 11-win season.
For perspective:

- UGA has 11 11-win seasons all-time
- Florida has 9
- LSU has 8
- Vols have 8
- Auburn has 6
- Mizzou has 4
- A&M has 4
- ARK has 3
- UK has 1
- S. Carolina has 3
- Ole Miss, MSST, & Vandy have 0
I constantly think back to when Saban was the Head Coach of the Dolphins, and they decided not to sign Drew Brees due to questions about his health, and went with Dante Culpepper. Saban went 9-7 with Gus Frerotte as his starter in his first year (they were 4-12 the year before), and 6-10 his second year (with Culpepper and Joey Harrington at QB). They then went 1-15 without him the following year. Culpepper never did anything more in the league, and Brees became a Hall of Famer, and the Dolphins have been mostly garbage since (only 2 winning seasons).

If they had signed Brees, I think Saban stays, and both the NFL and College Football over the past decade would be completely different.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lassr wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:25 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 am
Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:40 pm That putrid Bama D was as advertised in the 1st half but they made nice adjustments at half time. Offense sputtered but put together a few good drives. And Najee mowing people over on that final drive was a nice send off for him.
That could have been a different game if Patterson had been able to hit his receivers deep, but he overthrew them all game.
that's how he was at Ole Miss looked like he had not improved at all under Harbaugh.
Speaking of Ole Miss screwing the Wolverines, they just grabbed Chris Partridge from Michigan. Recruiting definitely takes a hit.

Link.

OXFORD, Miss. – Ole Miss head football coach Lane Kiffin continues to assemble his first Rebel staff, announcing the hiring of assistant coaches D.J. Durkin, Chris Partridge and Joe Jon Finley on Thursday.

Durkin and Partridge are both former national recruiters of the year in addition to helping lead highly ranked defenses, while Finley tutored a John Mackey Award finalist during his stops as tight ends coach at Missouri and Texas A&M.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

What an awful game from Tennessee tonight, but a win is a win.

After their 0-2 start and a loss to Georgia State, I would have bet anyone they would have never of finished 8-5.

Pretty miraculous and with a really young squad and good recruiting class coming in, hopefully this is the turn around we've been looking for.

Go Vols

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Xmann wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:39 am What an awful game from Tennessee tonight, but a win is a win.

After their 0-2 start and a loss to Georgia State, I would have bet anyone they would have never of finished 8-5.

Pretty miraculous and with a really young squad and good recruiting class coming in, hopefully this is the turn around we've been looking for.

Go Vols

I honestly do think you have a good coach this time. He's a hell of a defensive mind and he understands the workings of successful programs.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:33 am
Xmann wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:39 am What an awful game from Tennessee tonight, but a win is a win.

Go Vols

I honestly do think you have a good coach this time. He's a hell of a defensive mind and he understands the workings of successful programs.
Unfortunately he may succeed there and Bama can't get him back as def coordinator anytime soon
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Sources: Mike Leach leaves Washington State for Mississippi State

Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach in the SEC, I love it. Think they both have their work cut out for them though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Leach is a character.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

msduncan wrote:

Go Vols

What impressed me was the 2nd half adjustments they made the second half of the season.

It’s also becoming apparent Coach Pruitt understands the importance of a good offense and defensive line to be successful in the SEC. Trey Smith just announced he’s coming back for his senior year and we are getting a former 5 star lineman transferring from Georgia.

I think if they keep to the plan and Pruitt’s staff can develop players, Tennessee can be a team to reckon with like they were in the 90’s when I was there.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I got called back to work and I have to report this Monday. I start work at 3:00pm, so no LSU vs Clemson game for me. That sucks. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you record it then watch it without commercials or half time?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

msduncan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:02 am
Scuzz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:44 pm I favor an 8 team playoff. You include every Power 5 Champ, they can pick them however they want. Then you go with 3 wild cards. Any three wild cards. It adds one week to the season, big deal. They make even more money.

Sure, the odds of the 8 seed winning out are not great, but in any sports playoff system those odds aren't great, but it happens from time to time.

I also think it would make for better in season scheduling, as a non-conference loss wouldn't eliminate a team from playoff contention and if your the WC it may actually make your odds of getting in better.
If you expand to 8, you will get more playoff games that are completely lopsided destruction fests like LSU vs Oklahoma. It's not good for the sport. Let's quit trying to be 'fair' and give everyone ribbons and instead acknowledge there are about 3 or MAYBE 4 elite teams each year. Everyone else is playing chess, not checkers.
Watching the Titans dominate the Ravens yesterday (who were a “lock” to win) made me think of this comment.

Yes, in most cases the more highly ranked team will win...as they tend to do in any sport. But the opportunity is absolutely there for a “lesser” team to jump up and bite someone in the ass. It’s happened enough times through the years, and can be just an interesting - if not moreso - than having the same dozen or so “blue blood” programs battle it out between themselves year after year.

I’m sure those who are fans of said blue bloods would likely feel differently.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:38 pm Can you record it then watch it without commercials or half time?
Once I know the score, and I probably will hear it from somewhere, I can't watch the game. But I will watch all the highlights on ESPN when I get home at midnight.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So this is the big night. One of these teams will have an undefeated season. Who do you like? I'm picking LSU since they beat Bama.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm Who do you like?
Neither, but I'll grudgingly pull for LSU for some variety and more Coach O interviews.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm So this is the big night. One of these teams will have an undefeated season. Who do you like? I'm picking LSU since they beat Bama.
Don't much care, really. Not even sure I'll watch...probably just check the ESPN Gamecast, and tune in if it's close in the 4th.

If I had to pick, I'd probably go with LSU because Burrow is a stud.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm So this is the big night. One of these teams will have an undefeated season. Who do you like? I'm picking LSU since they beat Bama.
Don't much care, really. Not even sure I'll watch...probably just check the ESPN Gamecast, and tune in if it's close in the 4th.

If I had to pick, I'd probably go with LSU because Burrow is a stud.
Got the TiVo set, but the extra week off between the playoffs and the championship has kind of buried this in an avalanche of NFL games. I figure that Edwards-Ellaire is the key. If LSU doesn't have him at full strength, Clemson's defense can hold the rest of the team down enough. He absolutely demolished 'Bama.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They're still playing? Any college football after the Feast of the Epiphany is just too much. FFS.

They need to Finish by the Monday after New Year's day at the latest.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 pm They're still playing? Any college football after the Feast of the Epiphany is just too much. FFS.

They need to Finish by the Monday after New Year's day at the latest.
Apparently the reason why they didn't play the game on the 6th this year is because the semifinals were originally scheduled for New Year's Eve. That would have been less than a week between the semis and the finals.

That should be rectified most years going forward, when the semis will be held the Saturday before New Years (save for years that the semis are at the Rose and Sugar bowls).
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That Trump thing in the beginning was so weird. Cringe city.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:32 pm That Trump thing in the beginning was so weird. Cringe city.
I have the sound off, any boos?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:32 pm That Trump thing in the beginning was so weird. Cringe city.
I have the sound off, any boos?
Cheers, boos, some unintelligible chant, then the "U-S-A" chant.

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm all LSU, but that targeting call was BS.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 am I'm all LSU, but that targeting call was BS.
Welcome to our Pac 12 hell. :)

(I thought it was a borderline targeting play, but given the potential impact it could have on the game, I’m not sure you make it)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Geaux Tigers!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Uh, both teams are the Tigers.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 am Uh, both teams are the Tigers.
No one would ever say "Geaux Tigers" about Clemson.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 am
McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 am I'm all LSU, but that targeting call was BS.

(I thought it was a borderline targeting play, but given the potential impact it could have on the game, I’m not sure you make it)
I thought it was pretty clearly targeting. You can argue whether or not that type of targeting should be a penalty, but it was properly called. Now about that offensive pass interference that wiped out a Clemson TD . . . .
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 am

I thought it was pretty clearly targeting. You can argue whether or not that type of targeting should be a penalty, but it was properly called. Now about that offensive pass interference that wiped out a Clemson TD . . . .
While we're at it, it looked like Lawrence received a few helmet on helmets that weren't called. Not having much of a dog in the fight was nice but it doubled potential frustration with the refs.

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I thought he lowered his head to avoid a helmet-to-helmet collision, but the LSU runner lowered his head after and we still had that contact. It didn't look intentional at all (not sure what the official rule is on that), but I hated to see that kid get ejected like that. I really felt for him.

That PI was a close one. To me it looked like the Clemson receiver pushed the LSU defender away and the cornerback grabbed his jersey to keep from falling down. I thought it was a good call, but I'm completely biased.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 am While we're at it, it looked like Lawrence received a few helmet on helmets that weren't called. Not having much of a dog in the fight was nice but it doubled potential frustration with the refs.
Yeah, I remember one we got away with.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

McNutt wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am
I thought he lowered his head to avoid a helmet-to-helmet collision, but the LSU runner lowered his head after and we still had that contact. It didn't look intentional at all (not sure what the official rule is on that), but I hated to see that kid get ejected like that. I really felt for him.

That PI was a close one. To me it looked like the Clemson receiver pushed the LSU defender away and the cornerback grabbed his jersey to keep from falling down. I thought it was a good call, but I'm completely biased.
I think any time you lower your helmet and lead with the crown it's supposed to be targeting. I don't think there was any ill intent on the player's part, but if football wants to eliminate those types of plays, they need to be really strict about it.

I thought the OPI was correct on live viewing, but on replay I thought there was probably more interference by the defender. I probably would have preferred to let them play there.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rick Neuheisel was on Dan Patrick this morning talking about using a soccer-ish yellow card/red card system for targeting ejections. Keep the 15-yard penalty in place regardless, but have some discretion on whether or not to boot the player (for flagrant violations) or give them a warning (for incidental contacts). I like that idea. It keeps the negative consequence on the table, but provides a way to do it without having such a massive impact on the overall game.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 am While we're at it, it looked like Lawrence received a few helmet on helmets that weren't called.
Agreed. There was one late that I was shocked it didn't get reviewed.

Again...Pac12 refs. :?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The targeting rule is designed for safety but in practice it is arbitrary and often doesn't reflect the tacklers intent as much as the guy being tackled moving into the tackler. However any helmet to helmet contact is treated as though only the tackler had any blame, when often the runner will lower their head into the tackler causing the contact. If the runner goe lower the tackler will naturally follow.

I like the idea of a yellow or red card system. Some of the calls are blatant, but others seem so ticky tacky that removing a player from the game for them is ridiculous.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:04 pm The targeting rule is designed for safety but in practice it is arbitrary and often doesn't reflect the tacklers intent as much as the guy being tackled moving into the tackler. However any helmet to helmet contact is treated as though only the tackler had any blame, when often the runner will lower their head into the tackler causing the contact. If the runner goe lower the tackler will naturally follow.
It's not arbitrary, but otherwise I think your description is apt. The key thing to remember here is that the rule is not trying to police intent on this matter. It's intended to penalize leading with the crown, regardless of whether the tackler is intending to hurt the ball carrier. The long term goal of the rule is to keep players from instinctively lowering their helmet in the scenario you describe. Making it just a 5 or 15 yard penalty won't have the same impact.
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Rick Neuheisel was on Dan Patrick this morning talking about using a soccer-ish yellow card/red card system for targeting ejections. Keep the 15-yard penalty in place regardless, but have some discretion on whether or not to boot the player (for flagrant violations) or give them a warning (for incidental contacts). I like that idea. It keeps the negative consequence on the table, but provides a way to do it without having such a massive impact on the overall game.
IIRC, this is kind of what the rule was previously. There were multiple types of targeting, with one being an ejection and the other being just a penalty. The problem ended up being that the refs have enough difficulty calling games properly without adding in them seeing into the souls of the players, and the enforcement was wildly inconsistent. It might be a better overall approach, but I think you'd need to figure out a better way to handle it - and sending all the hits to replay is hardly going to help.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Scuzz wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:04 pm The targeting rule is designed for safety but in practice it is arbitrary and often doesn't reflect the tacklers intent as much as the guy being tackled moving into the tackler. However any helmet to helmet contact is treated as though only the tackler had any blame, when often the runner will lower their head into the tackler causing the contact. If the runner goe lower the tackler will naturally follow.
It's not arbitrary, but otherwise I think your description is apt. The key thing to remember here is that the rule is not trying to police intent on this matter. It's intended to penalize leading with the crown, regardless of whether the tackler is intending to hurt the ball carrier. The long term goal of the rule is to keep players from instinctively lowering their helmet in the scenario you describe. Making it just a 5 or 15 yard penalty won't have the same impact.
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:16 pm

IIRC, this is kind of what the rule was previously. There were multiple types of targeting, with one being an ejection and the other being just a penalty. The problem ended up being that the refs have enough difficulty calling games properly without adding in them seeing into the souls of the players, and the enforcement was wildly inconsistent. It might be a better overall approach, but I think you'd need to figure out a better way to handle it - and sending all the hits to replay is hardly going to help.
What really irks me about the targeting ejections is that it only applies to defenses for the most part, and frequently hits your most important players on defense. Other dangerous plays don't carry the automatic ejection. Certain chop blocks, dangerous blocks in the back (esp. against defenseless players), late hits, etc. While I understand the rationale for the rule, I do think some moderation needs to be in place, and some sort of equivalence.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Running backs lower their heads and the crown of their helmet several times a game without any penalty.
Black Lives Matter