Fantasy Football 2019

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Fantasy Football 2019

Post by naednek »

Football is Here!

I'm now in 4 fantasy leagues, one of them I am them I lead. Two of the four are from people from our forums (Fantasy Football Masters, and OO Fantasy Football). I know one person has pretty much stepped away from the forums and I wonder if he will participate. He was MIA during the drafts in both leagues last year.

In the past few years (and I can't remember which league it is) people say they want play, they sign up, but don't show up for the draft, and sometimes don't play each week. While the league is free and there's no money to be won, it makes the league not fun.

So with that said, if you're going to join the league, can you commit to being present at the draft and do your best to set up your roster?

I'm in a new league that's a vampire league... It's a bid weird.
We are planning a new style fantasy football league this year. The main difference will be that there will be what is called a vampire. The vampire will not draft a team but will have their choice of all the remaining players. For the 9 teams that do draft a team that will be your team for the year no adds and drops unless one of you players is out for the year. Once the season starts the vampire will play a different opponent each week. If the vampire wins they must swap a player for any of the starters on the team that they beat, this swap must be a like for like swap, so you cannot swap a kicker for a quarterback. The swap must be QB for QB etc. With that said the other team can rest their best players if they do not want to risk losing them. You pick your poison potentially lose your best players or risk taking a loss. We are planning on 6 teams making playoffs, top 2 seeds will have a bye. We are thinking a $20 buy in. $7 of this will directly into the overall winner pot and the other $13 will be in play for each week of the regular season. You will playing for a $1 a week against your opponent. If you win you take their dollar if you lose your opponent gets your dollar. If you lose to the vampire they take get of your winnings and the rest goes into the pot for the overall winner. Rosters will consist of 1QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1DEF, 1K, and 4 bench players of your choice.
Last edited by naednek on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Pyperkub

Re: Fantasy Football 2019

Post by Pyperkub »

It would help if we knew when the draft is scheduled for ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:41 pm It would help if we knew when the draft is scheduled for ;)
For Fantasy football Masters it's set for Draft Time changed from '' to 'Tue Sep 3 6:00pm PDT'

Haven't heard anything from Dcurse in OO Fantasy Football
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So the vampire is an actual 10th player? Interesting concept, keep us posted on how that goes. It seems to me that winning that first game would be tough, at least until bye weeks kick in and even then the vampire would have to be fortunate to not be more adversely affected by its own byes that week.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:55 pm So the vampire is an actual 10th player? Interesting concept, keep us posted on how that goes. It seems to me that winning that first game would be tough, at least until bye weeks kick in and even then the vampire would have to be fortunate to not be more adversely affected by its own byes that week.
ya i figured i'd try it out. I don't want to be the vampire. If you get lucky, your team can be stacked by the end... But the chances of that is slim.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm in the FF masters league and just noticed it had been started. One thing I wish is if we could drop the decimal points. I hate them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I feel like the vampire would be lucky to get 3 wins, but if you could put together a good squad as the vampire you would have bragging rights forever. That alone would be enough to get me to try it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Lassr wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm I'm in the FF masters league and just noticed it had been started. One thing I wish is if we could drop the decimal points. I hate them.

But there are fewer joys in this world than beating your opponent by 0.01 points.
morlac

Post by morlac »

msteelers wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 pm I feel like the vampire would be lucky to get 3 wins, but if you could put together a good squad as the vampire you would have bragging rights forever. That alone would be enough to get me to try it.
I dunno, 4 player bench is pretty small and you would get really screwed with any bust picks since no add/drop. Does the Vamp pick their team weekly or just right after draft? I feel the Vamp team should really get a deeper bench at least. I could see them team really pick up steam the second half of season. This is kinda crazy but I am intrigued.
morlac

Post by morlac »

msteelers wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm I'm in the FF masters league and just noticed it had been started. One thing I wish is if we could drop the decimal points. I hate them.

But there are fewer joys in this world than beating your opponent by 0.01 points.
I lost the last game of a season by .20 one year. I also lost the most points scored for the entire season that same year by .8. Lost me $200 I almost never played FF again. Almost.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

msteelers wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 pm I feel like the vampire would be lucky to get 3 wins, but if you could put together a good squad as the vampire you would have bragging rights forever. That alone would be enough to get me to try it.
QB, DST and K could be serviceable. At least one WR could be productive, and as injuries accrue, some forecast benchies could find themselves somewhat productive -- there's a handful every year. RB and TE are going to be the main pain points, since skilled players are generally gone early and most backups are also on rosters so it's almost unthinkable that a player taken after the draft will ever be productive. I'd probably take a chance on high draft pick rookies, but they might pan out once in a decade.

You really need for the opponent to have one of those total fail weeks. This is probably unlikely to happen to the necessary degree of fail until bye weeks hit, and even then, you'll want to be matched up with someone hit heavy early on during the bye week portion of the season. Depending on the opponent teams and schedule, it's entirely possible you could go the entire bye week portion of the season without a significant advantage. Still, this would be the best shot of picking up some victories and poaching some superstars. I think by the time you have enough stars, you'll be safely out of the playoffs (but still would could be quite disruptive if you've managed 3 or more wins at this point). I almost think there needs to be a separate incentive plan for this player. Say, $10 per victory. Should the vampire make it to the playoffs, it would be a very good year. Our league pays a weekly bonus for high points, and there is a sizable award for season high points that this player would assuredly be denied opportunity to achieve, so win-based bonuses would be justified.

Cash payments under the table for poaching specific players could prove another source of income. ;)
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

morlac wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:31 pm
I dunno, 4 player bench is pretty small and you would get really screwed with any bust picks since no add/drop. Does the Vamp pick their team weekly or just right after draft? I feel the Vamp team should really get a deeper bench at least. I could see them team really pick up steam the second half of season. This is kinda crazy but I am intrigued.
I missed the 4 player bench rule. That's not enough if you can't make free agent pickups. Any injury (and injuries always happen) will tank a team.
naednek

Post by naednek »

msteelers wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 am
morlac wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:31 pm
I missed the 4 player bench rule. That's not enough if you can't make free agent pickups. Any injury (and injuries always happen) will tank a team.
I brought that up...

Response...
If you extend the bench then that would weaken the vampire team even more. You have to think about the 108 players that are gone before the vampire gets any choices. There will be a rule instituted that if one of your players goes on IR or is out for the season you have the ability to swap that player out. You will just have to go through the Commish.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I did a best ball league one year where you draft your team and then that’s it. 0 moves whatsoever the rest of the way. We had around 20 roster spots, and it was ROUGH.

You can’t even cover all bye weeks with only 4 bench spots.

I don’t know if that is a huge advantage to the vampire or not, but it definitely takes out any skill from the normal teams. I would much rather be the vampire in that league, if only because you have active decisions to make every week.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Yea benches are way small and no drop add would make every team suck by the end of the year. It just wont work as presently constructed. Id suggest extending bench to 6 but let vamp team add and drop whenever it wants. Vamp will then get every out of nowhere stud that pops up throughout the year. Also, plenty of players drafted never hit the IR and still end up being useless due to....football. you cant afgord to have any dead weight on your team with only 4 bench spots. Cool idea but needs some tweaking to make it fun.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

OO Fantasy Football drafted last night. I had no idea the draft was scheduled for so soon. It would have been nice if yahoo had sent out an alert when the draft was starting. I was home and could have participated. I thought the draft was scheduled for next week, but I guess that's Fantasy Football Masters.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Yeah, I always tried to delay the Fantasy Football Masters draft as long as possible due to the pre-season with all the injuries (and now retirements!). I'm pretty attached to the notion of decimal points, but if we wanted to expand the roster to 16 I'd be amenable. Ideally it would be a 12-team league as well, but we've had too much trouble getting getting consistent participation as we all get older. But again, I'm open to suggestions pre-draft.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Apparently I was given control of OO Fantasy. I sent a message on August 7th asking about the draft. I never saw the response and I have been slammed with projects at work and at home and didn't realize he game me the commish responsibility.

Today I went to see if there was a draft day selected only to find out it was last night. Last night I was spraying Wall Texture on our fireplace wall and there was no way I would be available.

Should we reset and do the draft next week? Or leave it as is? I have no idea who is active in that league and I'm open to start fresh.
naednek

Post by naednek »

16 man roster seems like a horible idea. 12 pushes it for me. I'll be there for the draft (I promise)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m in a 12-team keeper league with 17 roster spots. I like having the deep bench.

As for OO, I would only reset it if we know that everyone missed it. I’d hate to be the one guy that bothered to show up.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ya we could send out an email seeing what people think. The problem is that i'd say half are inactive.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dogstar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am Yeah, I always tried to delay the Fantasy Football Masters draft as long as possible due to the pre-season with all the injuries (and now retirements!). I'm pretty attached to the notion of decimal points, but if we wanted to expand the roster to 16 I'd be amenable. Ideally it would be a 12-team league as well, but we've had too much trouble getting getting consistent participation as we all get older. But again, I'm open to suggestions pre-draft.
Would have been funny to draft right before Luck made his announcement (or his announcement was leaked, I guess). If there was ever an unforgettable instance of don't draft until week 4 pre season ends (or begins if you absolutely must) Luck is that instance.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm a bit confused, we had 16 slots on our roster last year. 16 has always been the standard. I see the draft is for tomorrow night also, I plan on being online.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:32 pm
Dogstar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am Yeah, I always tried to delay the Fantasy Football Masters draft as long as possible due to the pre-season with all the injuries (and now retirements!). I'm pretty attached to the notion of decimal points, but if we wanted to expand the roster to 16 I'd be amenable. Ideally it would be a 12-team league as well, but we've had too much trouble getting getting consistent participation as we all get older. But again, I'm open to suggestions pre-draft.
Would have been funny to draft right before Luck made his announcement (or his announcement was leaked, I guess). If there was ever an unforgettable instance of don't draft until week 4 pre season ends (or begins if you absolutely must) Luck is that instance.
the league i run, we had our draft on the 12th, we meet at a restaurant and draft, it was the only time we could get together. So my son-in-law drafted Luck unfortunately. Normally our draft would have been this week but my son-in-law was on a business trip this week so that was one reason we had to have it so early. Karma...

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lassr wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:31 pm I'm a bit confused, we had 16 slots on our roster last year. 16 has always been the standard. I see the draft is for tomorrow night also, I plan on being online.
What league are you talking about. As far as I know there are two OO fantasy football leagues. One draft was last night (OO Fantasy Football) and the other is next Tuesday (Fantasy Football Masters).

Both leagues have 16 slots.

Is there a 3rd OO League I'm not aware of?
naednek

Post by naednek »

We may have some tentative openings in the OO FAntasty Football league. It's a for fun league, meaning no $$$ so no pressure. We just ask that you make all attempts to show up for draft and play each week.

We are currently discussing draft time, I should have more details tomorrow evening.

We have a 12 man league. So far 3 out of the 12 have made their presence known. I have sent out emails asking people to chime in by tomorrow night (8pm pacific) before I move forward. If we don't get enough teams we can shrink the league.

If anyone is interested let me know. I can put you on a waiting list. I'll invite in the order they are received, but it will be first come first serve until the slots are filled.
  • Offense League Value
    Passing Yards 25 yards per point
    Passing Touchdowns 6
    Interceptions -1
    Rushing Yards 10 yards per point
    Rushing Touchdowns 6
    Receiving Yards 10 yards per point
    Receiving Touchdowns 6
    Return Touchdowns 6
    2-Point Conversions 2
    Fumbles Lost -2
    Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
    Kickers League Value
    Field Goals 0-19 Yards 2
    Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
    Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3
    Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4
    Field Goals 50+ Yards 5
    Point After Attempt Made 1
    Defense/Special Teams League Value
    Sack 1
    Interception 2
    Fumble Recovery 2
    Touchdown 6
    Safety 2
    Block Kick 2
    Points Allowed 0 points 10
    Points Allowed 1-6 points 7
    Points Allowed 7-13 points 4
    Points Allowed 14-20 points 1
    Points Allowed 21-27 points 0
    Points Allowed 28-34 points -1
    Points Allowed 35+ points -4
    Extra Point Returned 2
League Pickem: Yes
Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Fantasy Football 2019 **Possible league openings**

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm up for it if here's a spot.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

naednek wrote:
Lassr wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:31 pm I'm a bit confused, we had 16 slots on our roster last year. 16 has always been the standard. I see the draft is for tomorrow night also, I plan on being online.
What league are you talking about. As far as I know there are two OO fantasy football leagues. One draft was last night (OO Fantasy Football) and the other is next Tuesday (Fantasy Football Masters).

Both leagues have 16 slots.

Is there a 3rd OO League I'm not aware of?
I meant next Tuesday night is the draft. FF masters league. Some comments above were mentioning 16 being too many roster spots

Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

I sent out an email for Fantasy Football Masters to confirm everyone was still participating. If they aren't -- well, it'll be a mad scramble to fill their spots.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm in. I also had posted a message on the FF board

Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m good for both leagues.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m in. Probably my last year, though.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ok for OO Fantasy Football I have the following people confirmed

Sectoid (The Probes)
Mike Thomas (Bloated Braggarts)
Myself (Bay Area Fan)
John (Ragweeders)
Rips Rad Team
American Bison

I waiting to hear from the following

Dcurse Destroyers (original Commish, more than welcome to play)
Phantastic Photons
Moliere's Meatballs
Porcelain Mice

Waiting List
1: Lawbeefaroni
2: open
3: open
4: open
5: open
6: open

It's looking like draft day will be Sept 4th @ 5:30 pacific.

Would love to at least fill our league to 10. So sign up, if I don't hear back from the people I listed you'll have a spot
Last edited by naednek on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LenGess

Fantasy Football 2019 Possible league openings

Post by LenGess »

Final reminder to join folks - footy starts again this weekend

Thanks to those thatve joined thus far - weve got a good sized league again this year

Cheers
Michael
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

naednek wrote:msteelers, what's your team name on OO fantasy football so I can update...

It's looking like draft day will be Sept 4th @ 5:30 pacific.
Im Bloated Braggarts.

I’ll be working at the start of the draft, but I’ll try and update my lists and hopefully be online before it auto drafts a kicker and a defense for me.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isg, I see you committed to Fantasy Masters, but are you interested in staying in OO Fantasy Football?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm in whole-hogskin for the year.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ok great.

Here's the latest.

Ok for OO Fantasy Football I have the following people confirmed

Sectoid (The Probes)
Mike Thomas (Bloated Braggarts)
Myself (Bay Area Fan)
John (Ragweeders)
Rips Rad Team
American Bison

I waiting to hear from the following

Dcurse Destroyers (original Commish, more than welcome to play)
Phantastic Photons
Moliere's Meatballs
Porcelain Mice

Waiting List
1: Lawbeefaroni
2: open
3: open
4: open
5: open
6: open

We need at a minimum 3 more people to for a 10 team league. If more are interested we can take in a total of 5.

Draft is set for Sept 4th @ 530 pacific. Hoping to fill the league today. Law, I will send you a link tonight.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 pm ok great.
I am glad that my presence whelms you. :P
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lawbeefaroni pm me your email to send invite