[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:18 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 pmBAM?
Sure. My attention span is measured in seconds these days.
Attent--what?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I finished watching The Vow about the NXIVM (Smallville, BSG) sex cult. It's amazingly well done. I think the best part was how well they handled the story arc. Initially, they show how the training helped people and created a community. They showed the attractive and charismatic people NXIVM used to draw people in. They showed how the business model encouraged constant recruitment and expansion. In other words they made it clear how seemingly ordinary people could get involved in this organization without alarm bells going off. Then they showed how select people were recruited to leadership positions that drew them closer and closer to the cult's leader Keith Raniere. Slowly, they show some red flags popping up here and there. Then the veil comes off and we see retaliation, punishment, control, branding, 'slavery', human trafficking and sex abuse. The arc follows a few prominent members from recruitment to promotion to disillusionment to escape to finally fighting against the cult. The series ends with the arrest of Raniere in Mexico. Watching everyone's reactions is surprisingly cathartic.

The most amazing thing is that one of the people we follow was the videographer for the cult. So he had tons of internal video showing the key players, the lifestyle and philosophy in action. There is also lots of audio recordings as members get paranoid after uncovering the darkness lurking beneath. Sure, there are a few too many people to keep track of with new people introduced each episode, but they really capture the feeling of betrayal as members uncovered the truth and realize the impact of their own actions on other people. Highly recommended. Of course, for adults only.

Apparently, there will be a part 2 that will show the trial and the aftermath debuting next year.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

So Warner Bros have just burned all their bridges with Hollywood in order to promote HBO Max, by deciding to put their entire 2021 slate (Matrix 4, Dune, WW84) on streaming simultaneously as the theatrical release without having consulted any of their film maker business partners. I can't see this ending well for WB. They're now getting sued by DGA and several big names (Villeneuve, Nolan, Gunn) are coming out calling for a boycott of WB. Patty Jenkins is leaving for Disney. Holy hell talk about professional suicide.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When pressed on whether or not this was just for 2021, a Warner media head wouldn’t commit. So it’s being assumed by many that this is the new normal for them.

I can’t imagine that the executives who thought this was a good idea and then okayed it will remain employed. This has been a PR disaster for them in terms of future projects. I’m betting many jump ship to Netflix over this. At least there they know what they’re in for.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heard from a friend who works there and more 4k coming soon. Dolby Atmos also in the works, but not there yet.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Formix

Post by Formix »

But is it a disaster though? They've invested hundreds of millions on projects sitting on a shelf for the next year, or more for some of them. Movies are really about return on investment, and if they can drive subscribers, generating recurring revenue, then they have a return on their investment. Some $$ is better than no $$.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Formix wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:51 am But is it a disaster though?
Well not if they don't need any directors, actors, writers or producers for all their projects. Being sued by DGA and becoming a Hollywood pariah isn't something any media distributor would want. AT&T basically sacrificed WB:s reputation for short-term profits off of HBO subscriptions. And let's be honest - unless there are other big shows with a decent amount of entertainment-hours that can retain these new subscribers, people are just going to sub to watch/pirate whatever movie they want to see and then immediately cancel.

They could have avoided this by making deals beforehand with Villeneuve, Nolan et al like they did with Patty Jenkins, but for some reason they decided not to even tell them.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lagom Lite wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:07 pm So Warner Bros have just burned all their bridges with Hollywood in order to promote HBO Max, by deciding to put their entire 2021 slate (Matrix 4, Dune, WW84) on streaming simultaneously as the theatrical release without having consulted any of their film maker business partners. I can't see this ending well for WB. They're now getting sued by DGA and several big names (Villeneuve, Nolan, Gunn) are coming out calling for a boycott of WB. Patty Jenkins is leaving for Disney. Holy hell talk about professional suicide.
That was brought up in this thread last week.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think he’s discussing the backlash, not the news it happened.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I can understand why the directors are angry but I'll still be enjoying Wonder Woman 84 and Dune from the comfort of my Covid free home.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:21 pm I can understand why the directors are angry but I'll still be enjoying Wonder Woman 84 and Dune from the comfort of my Covid free home.
I'm not US so I'll watch Dune in theaters obviously, but as a Dune fan I really want the film to succeed financially so we get sequels.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, moving the film to streaming will lead to lower quality sequels (lower budget, a lesser director). On the other hand, it will expose the movie to a wider audience, which is great!
Is there anyone in hell?

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

$iljanus wrote:I can understand why the directors are angry
I'm soooo split on this issue.

I can understand the director anger, but time and again I feel like many directors are out of touch with the mainstream movie-going audience. I get it - they're artists, and they want their work respected, etc. But when I hear people like Brad Bird or Judd Apatow tell me I shouldn't be able to watch their movies at double speed my answer to them is "go f*** yourself."

The movie industry is a business. And while I appreciate the art that directors produce and realize that films can have a meaningful impact on public thinking, I also know that the bottom line is making money. I can't fault WB for trying to recoup costs.

On the other hand, as a movie lover, my preference would be to see each one of these films in the theater. Honestly the idea of watching Wonder Woman on my couch, as convenient as it may be, does not strongly appeal to me. I really enjoy the movie-going experience, and I really don't want to live in a world where my hand is forced to watch a film at home because the cost of going to the theater is too high. That line is already very narrow, and this would likely push it over the edge.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I would have loved to see it in the theater. Since we subscribe to AMC A-List, it's not even a matter of cost, we would have watched it in IMAX, or Dolby, and/or in 3D, the whole nine yards. But...COVID.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

gilraen wrote:I would have loved to see it in the theater. Since we subscribe to AMC A-List, it's not even a matter of cost, we would have watched it in IMAX, or Dolby, and/or in 3D, the whole nine yards. But...COVID.
In the end, I'm happy to pay box office prices to see your movie but not as willing to die for your art.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

IMO, this is just an accelaration of something that would have happened anyway. TVs keep getting bigger and even cheap soundbar/sub combos do a pretty good job of providing a "theater like" experience - minus the high cost of entry and having to sit with strangers. Covid is accelerating a movie theater recession/depression that I think would eventually happen anyway. I don't think movie theaters will go away forever or anything but I know I would greatly prefer to watch a movie at home over in a theater. I like being able to pause to go to the bathrooom and not pay a fortune for a drink and/or popcorn.

Plus, AT&T/Warner have invested a LOT in HBO Max. The long wait to get on Amazon and continued wait to get on Roku has hamstrung them. I just can't get mad at a company for giving consumers a choice on how to enjoy their product - even if I am still fuming about their product not being on Roku.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:21 pmThe movie industry is a business. And while I appreciate the art that directors produce and realize that films can have a meaningful impact on public thinking, I also know that the bottom line is making money. I can't fault WB for trying to recoup costs.
This is the crux of the problem. Warners isn't recouping the money. The number one reason many of these directors are upset are the financials. Warners is using the movies as loss leaders for their flagging streaming service.

The directors and producers essentially are having percentage of gross profit stolen out of their pockets in their view. I read some of the big players would rather sit the movies on shelves until cinemas are back online in volume rather than dilute them on a streaming service where their profits will go to die.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:26 pmYes, COVID has changed the picture dramatically but from what I read some would rather sit the movies on shelves until cinemas are back online in volume rather than dilute them on a streaming service where their profits will go to die.
Refusal to embrace a new model while demanding to still operate in the old way of thinking will likely work out great for them.

I can't imagine ever going to a movie again - not just COVID but because I have really grown to hate other people in move theaters. Rarely does the experience of the big screen mitigate people on phones, people coming in late, kids in rated R movies, etc...

I'd happily pay $20 to Amazon to stream WonderWoman'84 on release day and sit on my couch than pay at least double that for a trip to the theater + food and whatever else. But I guess I'm a weirdo according to these directors.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m selfish and love the idea that I’m getting big budget box office movies as part of my hbo Max sub. However, I also understand how WB’s move was kind of a dick move. They never consulted any of the folks behind the movies involved, making essentially a unilateral move under cover of darkness.

As malchior notes, WB is tossing these films onto their streaming service as a loss leader. They’re going to get pirated much faster, and it will result in even lower than expected box office takes for those that were scheduled to be released later next year (when there is a possibility of at least a slight return to normal for theaters).

It also could lead to the death of big budget film franchises for WB. Dune, Godzilla, Suicide Squad....the folks behind them are all pissed and that means a real chance they won’t return. Which means lesser filmmakers and actors/actresses having to sub in when WB (which owns the licenses) films new stuff ...and most likely with drastically reduced budgets as studios like Legendary will refuse to put up any substantial dollars if they’re just going to see their films sent to streaming services.

So yeah, I’m going to gleefully consume these films when they show up. But when I realize the second Dune film is either cancelled, or is being directed by someone without much experience and starring B list talent, while also featuring the sardaukar drinking Diet Coke and wearing Kim Kardashian brand eyewear in order to get more cash, I’ll probably wish things were the same as before and we did have big budget films with top tier talent.

I love low budget films mostly, don’t get me wrong. But those aren’t being affected by this (although some great indie filmmakers may avoid WB if they see this move as duplicitous, or walk in solidarity with their peers who feel betrayed and cheated). But I also love the few epic spectacles I see every year. The superhero movies, the giant monster films, the Golden Girls remake.....
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:26 pmIt also could lead to the death of big budget film franchises for WB. Dune, Godzilla, Suicide Squad....the folks behind them are all pissed and that means a real chance they won’t return. Which means lesser filmmakers and actors/actresses having to sub in when WB (which owns the licenses) films new stuff ...and most likely with drastically reduced budgets as studios like Legendary will refuse to put up any substantial dollars if they’re just going to see their films sent to streaming services.
I almost got into this myself. This year Warners gutted DC as well. That is a good chunk of their creative pipeline for just story ideas thrown by the wayside. In comparison, Disney is mining the hell out of Marvel's prodigious backlog.

And now they pulled this move. It pissed off the business side of the Hollywood ecosystem and others are seeing extreme weakness and lack of a long-term view out of AT&T in particular. Warners is going to have a very tough time post-Covid because they aren't going to get top talent to sign on. And all to save the hinders of executives who bungled HBO Max.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

wait, holl'up, is hbomax not on roku?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jaymon wrote:wait, holl'up, is hbomax not on roku?
Correct, for now...unless you try screen mirroring from a mobile device or PC
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

well bother.
I wall mounted the tv last year. I had thought about getting some hbomax so I could watch the movies.
i was really looking forward to WW84 and Dune,

but I don't want to much about with trying to string another cable up behind the tv and such, so I can run it from my laptop.

that is totally crappy. I guess I will just have to keep waiting. I suppose they will be out on disc after a while anyways.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

If Roku doesn't work out a deal soon I'm going to have to buy a new Fire stick. And I'm out of HDMI ports on my TV and receiver.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think the prefered way to watch HBO Max on Roku is to use Apple Air Play. Of course that means you need an Apple device to stream from. I tried the normal way to stream from my PC to the Roku and while it works I didn't find the PQ acceptable. I have heard it's much better via Air Play. I figured that when Amazon made their deal a Roku deal would follow soon after. I was wrong. I know Amazon gave into letting HBO Max be an app only on their devices but I think Roku is standing firm on that. It sucks. I guess once I am on holidaycation later this week I will see if my old Fire stick works and if my old TV will do HDMI-ARC back to my Roku soundbar. I am pretty pissed there isn't a deal by now. I get Roku standing firm as frankly HBO needs them more than Roku needs HBO but I have plenty of scorn for both companies at this point.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Finally!

Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am personally reponsible for this deal being made. I finally broke down and hooked up my old, slow Fire stick so I could watch HBO. This was in fact a trick because I knew once I did this they would reach a deal. You're welcome, world!

(As an aside, wow is the fire stick slow. It was slow the last time I used it (when it was still a "current" model years ago). Now, it's just brutal. Glad I can relegate it back to the "drawer of old gadgets of emergency backup". Oh and Amazon - your interface still SUCKS.)
Black Lives Matter

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I appreciate you JCC, I thought it was gonna have to be me buying a Fire Stick I didn't want to make this deal happen...because there was NO WAY I was gonna deal with my old first-gen stick on my new TV.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:01 pm I appreciate you JCC, I thought it was gonna have to be me buying a Fire Stick I didn't want to make this deal happen...because there was NO WAY I was gonna deal with my old first-gen stick on my new TV.
Haha! It was even worse than I thought. I am not even sure mine is a first gen. Just awful.
Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I got a Fire Stick a few years back but it was so slow I abandoned it after a few weeks for a Roku.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow this app is terrible on my Roku soundbar. I was browsing movies and it kept getting slower and slower until finally it became completely unresponsive and then rebooted my soundbar. Pathetic.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

To be fair it ran better after said reboot. Maybe it was the Roku.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

And it started lagging again...

Anyway, interesting to browse through their catalog. I can't ever see me paying $15/month for this for more than a month or so at a time but I always thought HBO was a bad value once Netflix came into being. (I get this for free as an AT&T internet customer - I assume for only a year.) Still, some stuff on here I want to watch so I am glad they finally made a deal. Definitely going to be all over Wonder Woman 1984 some time after X-mas.
Black Lives Matter

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

JCC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:49 am And it started lagging again...

Anyway, interesting to browse through their catalog. I can't ever see me paying $15/month for this for more than a month or so at a time but I always thought HBO was a bad value once Netflix came into being. (I get this for free as an AT&T internet customer - I assume for only a year.) Still, some stuff on here I want to watch so I am glad they finally made a deal. Definitely going to be all over Wonder Woman 1984 some time after X-mas.
I actually think it's worth the price of admission for the curated TCM section...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

JCC wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:35 pm I am personally reponsible for this deal being made. I finally broke down and hooked up my old, slow Fire stick so I could watch HBO. This was in fact a trick because I knew once I did this they would reach a deal. You're welcome, world!

(As an aside, wow is the fire stick slow. It was slow the last time I used it (when it was still a "current" model years ago). Now, it's just brutal. Glad I can relegate it back to the "drawer of old gadgets of emergency backup". Oh and Amazon - your interface still SUCKS.)
No, it was me! I finally canceled HBO on my Roku and subbed for Max on the PS4.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Got around to watching a movie on HBO Max today. For all my griping about the laggy interface, there were no issues with watching the movie.
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, I have pulled the trigger on HBO Max. Blame/credit to Wonder Woman.

I've never had HBO before, so this opens up a whole new world! I've heard a lot of good things about a "Sopranos" show. I'm not a big opera fan, but maybe I'll check it out.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 am I've never had HBO before, so this opens up a whole new world! I've heard a lot of good things about a "Sopranos" show. I'm not a big opera fan, but maybe I'll check it out.
Oh my. So much to watch! In rough order, my top 10 favorite HBO series:
1) The Wire
2) Chernobyl
3) True Detective (season 1 and 3)
4) Barry
5) The Sopranos
6) Game of Thrones
7) Watchmen
8) Curb Your Enthusiasm
9) Silicon Valley
10) The Leftovers (especially season 2 and 3).

That should last you through the new year...
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
AWS260 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 am I've never had HBO before, so this opens up a whole new world! I've heard a lot of good things about a "Sopranos" show. I'm not a big opera fan, but maybe I'll check it out.
Oh my. So much to watch! In rough order, my top 10 favorite HBO series:
1) The Wire
2) Chernobyl
3) True Detective (season 1 and 3)
4) Barry
5) The Sopranos
6) Game of Thrones
7) Watchmen
8) Curb Your Enthusiasm
9) Silicon Valley
10) The Leftovers (especially season 2 and 3).

That should last you through the new year...
So there's this little show called Rome...
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:31 pm So there's this little show called Rome...
I liked Rome, especially the first season. But they really had to rush the story in the second (and final) season, which was a shame. If they could've kept up the pace of the first season for three of four seasons, it probably would be in my top 10. But I also tend to view shows set in classical Rome with a more critical eye since I've spent a good bit of time reading and studying that period. It's for that same reason that I was never super fond of Gladiator. Well that and the super quick shots in the battles that made it impossible to figure out what was going on.
Black Lives Matter