[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Streaming] Max (né HBO Max)

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
AT&T’s WarnerMedia announced on Tuesday that its new streaming service will be called HBO Max. As the name implies, it includes a lot more than just content from HBO.

HBO Max will include shows and movies from Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and other content providers. It also includes exclusive rights to stream all 236 episodes of the TV show “Friends.”

The service is expected to launch in beta later this year. AT&T has not said how much it will cost. HBO Max will launch publicly in the spring of 2020 and will include 10,000 hours of content, the company said.
Other popular TV shows coming to HBO Max include “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Pretty Little Liars” and “Batwoman.” HBO Max will include original shows created specifically for the new streaming service, in addition to shows that will launch on HBO.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Re: [Streaming] HBO Max

Post by YellowKing »

A friend of mine and I were talking about streaming services just the other day, and I mentioned that I believed we were about to see services start to consolidate. It just makes sense - unless you have the money to produce amazing original content, you're just not going to be able to sustain the subscriber base necessary to survive against the big boys.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thankfully, it looks like DC Universe WON'T be rolled into HBO Max. Although HBO Max (seriously, this is the name they want to go with?) will include some DC Universe content.

If they'd rolled it into the new service and kept all the current/future programming AND the comic library, I'd have been fine with them doing so. But I suspect they would have dropped the comic library.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TechCrunch
“Friends” is getting some new neighbors at HBO Max. The streaming service from AT&T’s WarnerMedia has signed a big deal, reportedly worth over $1 billion, for the exclusive streaming and syndication rights for “The Big Bang Theory” over the next five years.
In the past year over $2.4 billion has been committed to locking down fan favorite comedies like “Friends,” “The Office,” “Seinfeld” and now the record-setting deal for “The Big Bang Theory.”

Yesterday, The Los Angeles Times broke the news that Netflix had acquired the rights to Seinfeld in a deal worth over $500 million. That deal was struck after Netflix lost two of its tentpole streaming properties — “Friends” to WarnerMedia’s HBO Max and “The Office” to NBCUniversal’s new (terribly, terribly, named) streaming service, The Peacock.

All 12 seasons of “The Big Bang Theory” — starring Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, and Kaley Cuoco, will be available to stream in 2020 when HBO Max launches.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HR
Six months after rights-holders Paramount announced a Grease feature film prequel, a live-action TV spinoff based on the John Travolta and Olivia Newton John 1978 musical is in the works. WarnerMedia-backed streamer HBO Max has handed out a straight-to-series order for musical Grease: Rydell High, with its name stemming from the school at the center of the beloved original.

The TV series will be produced by Paramount Television, the studio behind Fox's Emmy-winning 2016 one-off Grease: Live. Erik Feig's Picturestart and Temple Hill (Love, Simon) will exec produce. The new take reimagines the original movie and will feature some characters from it. The series is still set in the 1950s and will feature big musical numbers from the era combined with new original songs. It will explore the peer pressures of high school, the horrors of puberty and life in middle America with a modern sensibility.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Argh - this is not available on either the Roku or Amazon. How very annoying. :evil:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Totally by accident I found out I get this for free with my internet subscription. Called AT&T to get my service transferred for the move and the lady on the line told me about it. Linked it to my account and boom I'm up and running.

Love it so far (especially for free). I'm finally getting to watch the final season of Big Bang Theory I missed, which wasn't available anywhere. Can't wait to crack into the Studio Ghibli stuff, and since I ditched DC Universe it's also nice to be able to get some of their films and series. Big thumbs up on the interface as well.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm Argh - this is not available on either the Roku or Amazon. How very annoying. :evil:
Yeah, that miffed me too. It's available on PS4, so that's probably what I'll do.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It sounds like Roku might be close. I wouldn't have guessed that Doom Patrol would be the big DC Universe crossover show.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:38 pm Totally by accident I found out I get this for free with my internet subscription. Called AT&T to get my service transferred for the move and the lady on the line told me about it. Linked it to my account and boom I'm up and running.
You are my hero.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

YellowKing wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:38 pm Totally by accident I found out I get this for free with my internet subscription. Called AT&T to get my service transferred for the move and the lady on the line told me about it. Linked it to my account and boom I'm up and running.
Thanks for the info. I can get it free too, but see no point in activating it until they get their Roku shit together. Does anyone know if this is a temporary thing (getting it free)?

Edit: I think it's free for a year.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

How's the technical side?

4k?
HDR?
Dolby Vision?
Dolby Atmos?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Everything I’ve seen on it was just HD.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A spokesperson for HBO Max told CNET that "4K HDR, Dolby Vision, HDR10 Plus and Dolby Atmos are on our roadmap" but didn't specify when those advanced audio and video formats would be available.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks they have Doom Patrol from DC Universe streaming. I can’t recommend that enough to anyone who enjoys offbeat superhero stuff. Also, it features Alan Tudyk.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I watched the pilot last night and it was pretty good. I'll likely keep watching, but oddly enough 15 episodes in a season is a bit daunting to me. I've kind of gotten used to 8-10 episodes for a lot of things I watch, particularly from HBO.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At least stick around for the Nazi puppet show. I mean...Nazi puppet show sells itself, don’t you think?
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Puppets always bring a little something to a show. Also a sentient street on another episode adds to the viewing pleasure.

And the writing and acting beats many of the so called serious dramas on network TV.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Danny the Street karaoke scene with Larry (Negative Man) was inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time. It can make the strongest person a little misty eyed.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Has anyone with a Roku HBO subscription tried accessing HBO Now on a device other than the Roku? All my other devices got updated to HBO Max apps and there is no way to download HBO Now. There is a message to stream via hbonow.com, but that leads to a page where when I sign in it says I need to signin at HBO Now...which is what I was doing. I am not pleased.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:39 pm Has anyone with a Roku HBO subscription tried accessing HBO Now on a device other than the Roku? All my other devices got updated to HBO Max apps and there is no way to download HBO Now. There is a message to stream via hbonow.com, but that leads to a page where when I sign in it says I need to signin at HBO Now...which is what I was doing. I am not pleased.
If it makes you feel any better my Samsung Smart TV takes me to HBO Now when I download and login to the HBO Max app.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Moved from the Peacock thread so it will be on topic.
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:09 pm and I get HBOMax for free as an employee (although you should all definitely sign up for it and pay for it).
I want to! Heck, I'm paying for HBONow to use on my Roku. It sounds like that will keep working for the foreseeable future, but it's really annoying that I'm paying the same price and getting less content. Also, it's not 100% clear that HBO won't stop allowing it to work, which would really stink. I pretty much use it to watch John Oliver, so if they don't get it straightened by the time the election is over, I'll probably just cancel.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Here's an interesting article on the issue with HBO Max and Roku (which also exists with Amazon Fire, and Peacock seems to have the same issues with Roku and Amazon). It won't help you solve your Roku/HBO Max issue, but it might be interesting nonetheless.

The article does mention that you can view HBO Max through PlayStation or XBox consoles, so that might be worth looking into if you have one of those.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:54 pm Here's an interesting article on the issue with HBO Max and Roku (which also exists with Amazon Fire, and Peacock seems to have the same issues with Roku and Amazon). It won't help you solve your Roku/HBO Max issue, but it might be interesting nonetheless.

The article does mention that you can view HBO Max through PlayStation or XBox consoles, so that might be worth looking into if you have one of those.
Whoo hoo!!!
Goodbye watching Doom Patrol on my computer monitor!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Raised By Wolves

Trailer for Ridley Scott’s Raised by Wolves is giving us strong Alien vibes
Androids struggle to raise human children on a mysterious planet in the first trailer for Raised by Wolves, a new sci-fi series coming to HBO Max, courtesy of none other than Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien, etc., etc.). Created by Aaron Guzikowski, who also penned the script for the 2013 thriller Prisoners, the ten-episode series was initially a straight-to-series order for TNT but moved to HBO Max last October. Scott even directed the first two episodes, making this his US TV directorial debut.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:54 pm Here's an interesting article on the issue with HBO Max and Roku (which also exists with Amazon Fire, and Peacock seems to have the same issues with Roku and Amazon). It won't help you solve your Roku/HBO Max issue, but it might be interesting nonetheless.

Whoo hoo!!!
Goodbye watching Doom Patrol on my computer monitor!!
\
I just log in with my phone, then cast to the tv. Done.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Class Action Park

Enlarge Image

You may have read tales of this place from Bill Harris and his readers.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:06 pm Class Action Park

Enlarge Image

You may have read tales of this place from Bill Harris and his readers.
I was more of a Six Flags Great Adventure kid vs an Action Park kid. But I loved their commercials growing up.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 pm Close Enough

Enlarge Image
Man, this one came out back in July.

If you ever watched "The Regular Show" on Cartoon Network, this is basically the adult version of that (minus the humanoid animals and sentient gumball machines). I loved "The Regular Show" (which is also on HBOmax), but this doesn't quite match up. I haven't watched all of it yet, and it does have its moments, but it also feels like it's trying too hard at times be the adult version of "The Regular Show".
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anyone watching "Raised by Wolves"? First three episodes were released last week (and I think episode 4 came out today). I've seen the first two and I'm digging it so far. It seems like something that could go bad pretty quickly, but so far so good. I think using the time machine to get a 10 year old Jack White to play one of the kids was an inspired decision.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually posted a negative review after the first episode. But I deleted that initial one after seeing episode two.

My problem was that episode one introduced a Robinson Crusoe story of sorts, then unexpectedly changed its tone in the final 15 minutes or so with what seemed like at the time deus ex machina moments with Mother.

However, the second episode took pains to explain what had happened, and set the story straight for me. Now I enjoy it quite a bit. The religious faction of the show isn't played as totally corrupt or evil, while the atheists (or at least the atheist ideology embodied in the androids and some other characters I won't mention to avoid a spoiler from episode 2) aren't the outright heroes of the show. It's taking pains to establish that they're both just ideas and that they can be corrupt or good, depending on the individuals.

I will say that the sets and costumes seem to be low budget attempts from the school of Zardoz. But I suspect that's by intent. The 70s aesthetic is starting to grow on me.

Question though:
Spoiler:
At first I thought the Necromancers were tools of the Athiests, but now it looks like they were actually part of the Sol worshippers forces. And Mother was just captured (although how is beyond me...those things are pretty much gods) and reprogrammed by athiests. Is that correct? Or do I have that backwards?
Covfefe!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:You may have read tales of this place from Bill Harris and his readers.
Action Park is one of the most insane places I’ve ever been, but only in retrospect. As a teenager in the 80s and early 90s, it’s just where you went in the summer.

I am friends with a number of people who grew up in Vernon and worked at the park and their stories were nuts. F the Tarzan Swing pool.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range