2019 Hurricane Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: 2019 Hurricane Season

Post by Holman »

That's awful, especially when you remember that this is a rich man with a solid and specially built hurricane-resistant house. Nevertheless, even his first floor (along with presumably the electrics, plumbing, foundations, etc) is flooded and ruined.

Imagine everyone who lives in low-economy housing. Do they even have a safe place to stand?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When this is all said and done, I think the number of people that died and/or are missing is going to be staggering. It just parked over parts of the Bahamas for 30+ hours. Has to be near total devastation and it won't surprise me if they need to re-write maps.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It’s been a non-event here. A few rain bands moving through, but we get daily afternoon thunderstorms that are worse. Some parts of the coast are harder hit. I’ve seen some low lying areas that have flooded. It’s also a king tide. So water levels were already high before the storm surge.

Hopefully this thing runs up the coast and we can start to return to normal tomorrow. This entire area has been shut down for several days now.

I’m terrified to see what is left of the Bahamas.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm going in for work lock down tomorrow night and will likely be there through Friday. There are still a couple of models showing it could make landfall on top of us, but the general consensus is that it will be a close brush offshore. Even so, we're expecting hurricane force winds in our area Thursday.

This might be the most prepared for a hurricane I've been in my life. Not because I'm scared of it, but because it's moved so slow we had everything done over the weekend thinking it would be here already. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Make sure you take plenty of gaming goodies to keep you sane.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:23 pm This might be the most prepared for a hurricane I've been in my life. Not because I'm scared of it, but because it's moved so slow we had everything done over the weekend thinking it would be here already. :D
I on the other hand faced so much opposition to doing the necessary things to prepare that I just gave up fighting, and was prepared to irresponsibly let us die in place according to the whims of a ninety-three year old. I should be fired, my sister can take my mother. :dance:

I don't think we'll be seeing any "House Hunters International: Bahamas" episodes for a few years. Looks pretty awful. Poor people. :(
Stop funding for NPR
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Before and after satellite images.
The storm hit the island late Sunday as a Category 5 hurricane and then stalled, bringing a storm surge of up to 23 feet above normal levels in some areas. Some parts of the island are expected to get at least 30 inches of rain, according to the National Hurricane Center. The storm's core finally began moving away on Tuesday afternoon.

Dorian is tied with the 1935 Labor Day hurricane as the strongest storm to hit land in the Atlantic.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wrong thread. Whoops.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We made it through just fine. I don't think the winds ever topped 35 or so sustained here since it was just offshore enough. Other than a lot of straw to clean up we were good to go. Only lost power for 45 minutes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Has anyone heard from msduncan?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That made me chuckle.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Bahamas storm damage is 'as though a nuclear bomb was dropped'
Part of the reason it caused so much destruction in the northern Bahamas is that the storm hovered over the region for around 48 hours, moving very slowly.

Officials estimate that around 90 percent of the infrastructure on the Abacos is damaged or destroyed, while the United Nations' World Food Programme has said that around 70,000 people in the Bahamas—population 400,000—are in need of food and shelter.
I also saw there is now a cholera outbreak suspected, which is not surprising. On all accounts this looks to be a humanitarian crisis.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:59 am Bahamas storm damage is 'as though a nuclear bomb was dropped'
Did Trump actually nuke it over the Bahamas?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am That made me chuckle.
Agreed. :mrgreen:

Meanwhile this and the one behind it shoo, shoo, shoo :idea:
Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did our TX contingent find some high and dry land to stand on? Sounds pretty bad down there.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Second 1,000-year storm in two years, they say. This is normal.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My sister is in Houston but didn't get flooded out. Her oldest is a college commuter who couldn't get to classes due to flooding issues, though, and her husband had a flight cancelled. Oddly, her youngest is at Texas A&M and just got back into his dorm room, which was previously flooded due to a water pipe bursting and had nothing to do with storms.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I am on a flight that just left Houston (4 hours late) and it was pretty rough yesterday. I saw a lot of flash flooding first hand out on the roads. I hope the folks who live here are doing ok.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
An area of low pressure over the Bay of Campeche is likely to develop into a tropical or subtropical storm later Thursday, according to the National Hurricane Center. Heavy rainfall, gusty winds and storm-surge flooding are possible along portions of the Gulf Coast by the weekend as the storm is expected to move in that direction.

Tropical storm warnings have been issued from the Mississippi-Alabama border to the Ochlockonee River in Florida’s Big Bend, as well as from Grand Isle, La., to the mouth of the Pearl River, where the land mass juts out into the storm’s projected path. A storm surge watch is also in effect from Indian Pass to Clearwater, Fla., where the National Hurricane Center is forecasting a potential surge of several feet.

Although the system hasn’t technically become a tropical storm, its circulation continues to consolidate and organize. However, the National Hurricane Center calls the setup “a complicated weather situation,” as it is uncertain whether the system — likely to be named Nestor — will be designated a tropical or a subtropical storm. The key wild card is the extent to which it interacts with an area of low pressure approaching from the west.