[Film] Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Nov 19, 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Nov 19, 2021

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Jason Reitman is carrying on the legacy. The son of the original Ghostbusters helmer, Ivan Reitman, will direct the next Ghostbusters feature for Sony Pictures. Due out summer 2020, the new film will serve as the next chapter following the original story, which was first released in 1984 and starred Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and the late Harold Ramis.

This pic is not associated with the 2016 all-female Paul Feig-directed reboot, which starred Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones. The film received mixed reviews and was considered a failure at the box office because of its high production cost.

Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan co-wrote the screenplay with for the film, which has been kept in secrecy until now. Production begins this summer. No word if anyone from the original cast will be involved.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [Film] Ghostbusters 3 (2020)

Post by hepcat »

I wonder who James Franco will play.
Covfefe!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Mark Wahlberg's younger brother?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could see Wahlberg as the stay puft marshmallow man.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My son was very excited to hear this when the news mentioned it yesterday morning. Ghostbusters is yet another decades-old pop culture relic that I had nothing to do exposing him to, yet somehow (well, I'm certain YouTube is involved) he became a fan. After I broke down and actually rented both movies for him to see (which he did not sit through), his dance class did a routine to the theme song for a Halloween presentation. He still dances that routine - which is funny because he suddenly stops half way though since that's as far as his class took it.

I hope the ghost of Harold Ramis makes an appearance. He could play himself (which is to say, a ghost!)
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The other two are in their late 60s early 70s. Ghostbusters in a nursing home!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am The other two are in their late 60s early 70s. Ghostbusters in a nursing home!
But a haunted nursing home to be sure!
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The teaser trailer already felt more Ghostbustery than the entire 2016 crapfest.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cant wait to see Lady Gaga in this!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am The other two are in their late 60s early 70s. Ghostbusters in a nursing home!
Nursebusters? Oh wait, I think someone has probably already made a movie with that title...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:59 amCant wait to see Lady Gaga in this!!!
Zuul?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

If they can do it, I'd like to see Murray/Aykroyd as teachers to lead a new cast of unknowns (as it should have been), or at the very least, decent actor/comedians. If they want to make everyone happy, have a male and female roster. I think it'd be cool if it was the character's children taking up the family ghostbusting business.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Historically speaking, what are the odds this actually works? I'm not saying that Ghostbusters is sacred ground. I've just never thought that I'd like to see another Ghostbusters movie any more than I'd like to see another Full Metal Jacket movie. I don't need another Solo or Dukes of Hazzard where the movie lives and dies on our need for nostalgia. Hell, even with the same talent, Ghostbusters II was pretty weak.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They can pick up all the Saturday Night Live dead and have them in the movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 pm Historically speaking, what are the odds this actually works? I'm not saying that Ghostbusters is sacred ground. I've just never thought that I'd like to see another Ghostbusters movie any more than I'd like to see another Full Metal Jacket movie. I don't need another Solo or Dukes of Hazzard where the movie lives and dies on our need for nostalgia. Hell, even with the same talent, Ghostbusters II was pretty weak.
Since I can't go to theaters, I'm not the best judge of these thing since A-list movies that bypass Amazon or HBO often are forgotten (by me), but I've been getting the impression of late that these re-fires are quite often surprisingly better than expected. Hopefully in this case, that means they go for something completely different and Akroyd and Murray are relegated to no more than a touching cameo moment kind of like Chevy Chase did in the Vacation refresh. A decent, enjoyable movie is all I really hope for, since I'm sure I'll have to watch it at some point. New talent can certainly help - I don't hold the original so sacred to think that other stories couldn't be told using the same basic concept.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The scuttlebutt (partially from leaks Dan Akroyd has revealed), is that this is a direct sequel to Ghostbusters 2, and involves four teenagers who become the new Ghostbusters under guidance of an older Ray Stantz.

I don't know how much stock I put in the actual plot details, but given Reitman's involvement I can definitely believe it's a true sequel and there's a very strong possibility Dan Akroyd has a major role since he's been jonesing for this for decades.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm The scuttlebutt (partially from leaks Dan Akroyd has revealed), is that this is a direct sequel to Ghostbusters 2, and involves four teenagers who become the new Ghostbusters under guidance of an older Ray Stantz.

I don't know how much stock I put in the actual plot details, but given Reitman's involvement I can definitely believe it's a true sequel and there's a very strong possibility Dan Akroyd has a major role since he's been jonesing for this for decades.
So you're saying optimism unwarranted. Gotcha!
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Now, if they could just leave it at this, I think we'd all want to go see it. Unfortunately, they'll botch it and give us half the plot and drive away half their viewers.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've always felt that the GBs were a good fit for an in-universe franchise. I guess similar to how MiB is now doing it? There's absolutely no reason why they have to stick to it being in NY. I've long had the idea that to shake things up, they could have a franchise set up in New Orleans which IMHO makes more sense than NY ever did due to its long history with the supernatural.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not sure why the pessimism given you've got original cast involved and Jason Reitman directing. That's pretty much best case scenario for a Ghostbusters sequel, short of Harold Ramis rising from the dead.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's almost like you never saw Ghostbusters II. They couldn't pull it off 5 years later, and you think 35 years later will be magic?

The whole '80's style of camp comedy is just that - 80's. I don't know of any successful attempts to recreate this era. I could be wrong, but I don't think either Murray or Akroyd has done this type of comedy in years. Stepping back in to those characters would seem awkward at this point - and accommodating their more evolved style would draw criticism because of the change.

Now, take the focus from them, you have more leeway, less baggage to carry over. A new cast could pull of something that is perhaps a little darker (but still a comedy) as befits the style of now, not 35 years ago. Akroyd and Murray could do pass-the-torch cameos but they certainly shouldn't be driving the thing if it's going to be any good.

Anyway, that's my take from the sidelines a year or more out. We've all been wrong before; we've harangued movies that turned out to be good and pined longingly for others that proved to be a steaming pile of suck. This movie isn't something I am, or ever was, clamoring for. The original was good and likely should have been a one-off. I do not think there is an endless amount of comedy that can be extracted from the premise and GBII kind of proved that point. The last movie I saw that hauled up a bucket of dust from a dry well was last fall's Halloween -- I kind of expect this to be no better and didn't enjoy Halloween one bit.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ghostbusters 2 has been looked upon more kindly in the intervening years compared to its initial release. A lot of GB fans really love that movie, even if it wasn't as good as the first.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:52 pm Ghostbusters 2 has been looked upon more kindly in the intervening years compared to its initial release. A lot of GB fans really love that movie, even if it wasn't as good as the first.
I saw them both a few months ago and neither has aged well. GBII was downright painful to watch.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

GB II was fine (nothing more) for me as a kid. Even then I was not digging that awful Statue of Liberty scene. I guess they just plugged that joystick into the statue's existing 15 pin port. And yes, that was exactly what I was thinking as a kid.

As Jeff said, now you are adding several decades and new actors, plus removing the original director and one of the main stars/writers. Thinking this will be good is extreme optimism. Or maybe many of you like nostalgic throwbacks a lot more than I do. I don't care if a movie brings back childhood nostalgia if the movie sucks. I was a HUGE Star Wars fanboy, but even I recognized that I was watching pure shit when I first saw The Phantom Menace.
Last edited by McNutt on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:52 pm Ghostbusters 2 has been looked upon more kindly in the intervening years compared to its initial release. A lot of GB fans really love that movie, even if it wasn't as good as the first.
I saw them both a few months ago and neither has aged well. GBII was downright painful to watch.
It's got 80's movie making written all over it. Which is...not a compliment.

edit: Sonuva. You pretty much already wrote that. In my defense I was reading the thread backwards, bottom to top and hadn't gotten to this bit yet. We seem to be in agreement.
Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm The whole '80's style of camp comedy is just that - 80's.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Guess you guys aren't the target audience then.

Most Ghostbusters fans I know are hugely excited over this. It's a chance to correct the shit show Paul Feig introduced and give fans what they've been wanting for decades - a true Ghostbusters 3.

Sure, it could wind up being terrible. But it's the best (and probably last) chance we've got at a Ghostbusters sequel not sucking.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I mean, I guess that there are a group of fans that have been wanting Ghostbusters 3 for decades. I'm a huge Godfather fan and I was quite content with Godfather I & II and never really thought about Godfather III. Then I got that. And yet I still am not waiting for someone to come along and make up for that movie.

Here's a serious question for you, YK. I ask because you and I have a different outlook on such a film. Would you rather the time and effort be put into a Ghostbusters 3 movie or would you rather that time and effort be put into a completely new idea for a film? You might get a new franchise of something or you might just get one solid movie that is completely original.

I think you know where I stand, but I'd love to hear the opinion of a fan such as yourself.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Personally I ain't paying for it so what do I care if it gets made or not.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Has anybody played the 2009 game which for a long time was considered to be an official sequel to the movies? I thought it was fairly good as far as scripting goes, but it was more or less borrowed scenes from the first movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

McNutt wrote:Here's a serious question for you, YK. I ask because you and I have a different outlook on such a film. Would you rather the time and effort be put into a Ghostbusters 3 movie or would you rather that time and effort be put into a completely new idea for a film? You might get a new franchise of something or you might just get one solid movie that is completely original.
Ghostbusters 3 all day long and twice on Sunday. I've been wanting it since I was 15 years old. :D

Yes, I'm a total Ghostbusters fanboy. It's been one of my favorite movies since I saw it in the theater at 9 years old. I have Ghostbusters shirts. I have been to cons to meet Ernie Hudson. I've got the action figures hanging on my wall, and a Lego Ecto-1 on my shelf. I went to see the theater re-issues on its anniversary. I've spent time researching how to build a replica proton pack. I'm not as big a fan as some, but it's pretty big compared to a lot of other franchises.

I don't mind '80s nostalgia though. I love pop culture and I watch '80s movies all the time. I also watch original movies all the time. So it's a tough question to answer. I want Hollywood to make Ghostbusters 3 AND some original stuff. And I want to consume all of it. :D

And yeah rumpy, I played that game. It was actually very good.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Leslie Jones went on a Twitter tirade when finding this out:
Leslie Jones wrote:So insulting. Like fuck us. We dint count. It's like something trump would do. (Trump voice) "Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain't ghostbusteeeeers" ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don't give fuck I'm saying something!!
I really wish she'd stop politicizing her movie. People didn't like it because it sucked, not because it had women in it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

"Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I put her in the same league as Bluto.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I would have been more excited for this before the last Ghostbusters film came out. It just seems like this is how you trash an IP. You release a "crappy" update setting up a new series of movies, and then ignore it and go back to the original group of films? No thanks.

And honestly, I thought the "crappy" Ghostbusters film was ok. It wasn't an instant classic, it wasn't great, but I was irritated after watching it because it was already clear the movie wasn't getting any sequels, and I would have liked to have seen more with those actresses.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 am Leslie Jones went on a Twitter tirade when finding this out:
Leslie Jones wrote:So insulting. Like fuck us. We dint count. It's like something trump would do. (Trump voice) "Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain't ghostbusteeeeers" ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don't give fuck I'm saying something!!
I really wish she'd stop politicizing her movie. People didn't like it because it sucked, not because it had women in it.
People did like it. Rotten Tomatoes has it 74% with critics and 51% with the public. While 51% isn't great, for that type of movie, it's not even close to sucking.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 am I really wish she'd stop politicizing her movie. People didn't like it because it sucked, not because it had women in it.
It of course doesn't help that the director was highly condescending and part of the problem. Having a director lose his head and go onto social media to flick people off who've disagreed with him and given the movie any form of criticism is not someone I want to give my money.

I don't blame Jones' ranting especially in light of how she was treated. I understand her frustration and don't begrudge her for feeling that way, but it's not an attitude I would take. I'd be thankful for the experience and thankful to the director for letting me be part of GB franchise and hope to be making a sequel in the future and leave it at that. Sometimes taking the high road is not such a bad thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 am Leslie Jones went on a Twitter tirade when finding this out:
Yeah,I found it unwatchable after 20 minutes. The characters were just unwatchable and unlikeable. Murray‘s Venkman was at least a charming rogue, but all of the 2016 characters were plain awful.

Side note - I am having a tough time thinking of many charming rogue female characters in movies. Maybe Tank Girl?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm
Yeah,I found it unwatchable after 20 minutes. The characters were just unwatchable and unlikeable. Murray‘s Venkman was at least a charming rogue, but all of the 2016 characters were plain awful.

Side note - I am having a tough time thinking of many charming rogue female characters in movies. Maybe Tank Girl?
Monza Murcatto of the book Best Served Cold comes to mind, not so lovable perhaps. Now if only they would make a movie...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

noxiousdog wrote:People did like it. Rotten Tomatoes has it 74% with critics and 51% with the public. While 51% isn't great, for that type of movie, it's not even close to sucking.
I'm just looking at the box office. It didn't even make its budget back in the US. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a well-established franchise movie.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm
noxiousdog wrote:People did like it. Rotten Tomatoes has it 74% with critics and 51% with the public. While 51% isn't great, for that type of movie, it's not even close to sucking.
I'm just looking at the box office. It didn't even make its budget back in the US. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a well-established franchise movie.
I hope we aren't rating movies by their box office take. That seems dangerous.

It does mean they spent too much to make it.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or market it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.