[Film] Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Polygon
On Tuesday, Harley Quinn actress Margot Robbie posted a picture of the final script for the movie on her Instagram, revealing the expected “Birds of Prey.” But beneath the straightforward title treatment was a lengthy handwritten parenthetical — and a lipstick kiss.

It could easily be read as a bit of a goof — but The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that this is the full official title. It’s long, but it’s perfectly in character for Harley Quinn.
Alongside the cheerfully disturbed eponymous antiheroine, Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) will star Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Fargo) as the vigilante the Huntress; Jurnee Smollett-Bell (The Great Debaters) as the superheroine Black Canary; and Rosie Perez (Pineapple Express) as Gotham City police detective Renee Montoya.

It was recently announced that Ewan McGregor would take on the antagonist role as the mafia kingpin Black Mask. Newcomer Ella Jay Basco will play Cassandra Cain, the vigilante sometimes known as Batgirl or Orphan. The film is written by Christina Hodson, as seen above (Bumblebee, the upcoming Batgirl), and directed by Cathy Yan (Dead Pigs).
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: [Film] Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn)

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rosie Perez (Pineapple Express)
Pineapple Express? That's what she gets as her reference film?

:snooty:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That gave me pause as well. I guess they just wanted to find something more recent? White Men Can't Jump is the first thing that comes to mind for me. But that was a while ago.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LB, would you have preferred Pitch Perfect 2?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fearless maybe?

On topic, I'm not too deep into Batman or the DC universe (or any comicverse really) but the parenthetical in the title is very cool and I'd see it on that alone.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would've thought they'd go with White Men Can't Jump.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1992 and 1993 films aren't exactly recent in anyone's mind. And even Pineapple Express is 10+ years old now.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

So none of your lives were changed by Do The Right Thing!?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, it helped me do the right thing, obviously.
Covfefe!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm Well, it helped me do the right thing, obviously.
It was at that point you become the man you are now... Dudley's long lost brother Hepcat Do-Right?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:43 pm 1992 and 1993 films aren't exactly recent in anyone's mind. And even Pineapple Express is 10+ years old now.
Robert De Niro (Little Fockers)

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s not a perfect metaphor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There was a preview for it right before It: Chapter Two started and it started with Harley saying something like "I'm done with clowns..."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, I'm guessing I'm going to start something but isn't Black Canary a Caucasian blond? I say this because I've always liked her character and had a certain image of her and now that's totally changed.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, but in the DC movie universe, she's now played by Jurnee Smollett-Bell, the sister of Chicago's least favorite tourist.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That looks like at least 30 percent Joel Schumacher...which is 30 percent too much Joel Schumacher.

Also, why are most of them dressed like strippers? Aren't some of them supposed to have actual costumes beyond those found on a Victoria's Secret discount rack?
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So now they're going all the way back to the 1950s for their song to alter for the trailer. Please stop doing this, Hollywood, and let's focus on what we need more of, like Asian girls with color streaks in their hair.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's like asking Hollywood not to use Fortunate Son in any movie about the Vietnam War.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Or having a Wrangler Jeans commercial where the male spokesman doesn't point as he's having fun with his friend
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:40 pm So now they're going all the way back to the 1950s for their song to alter for the trailer. Please stop doing this, Hollywood, and let's focus on what we need more of, like Asian girls with color streaks in their hair.
There was a lot of 50s aesthetic in the trailer too. Big steel cars, lounge acts, gangsters....Seemed to fit what they were going for.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:22 pm Also, why are most of them dressed like strippers? Aren't some of them supposed to have actual costumes beyond those found on a Victoria's Secret discount rack?
I'm not seeing it. Only Harley is really dressed as a stripper. There is one scene with Black Canary with a split skirt, and one of Huntress in some tight pants, but that's about it. Most of the time they're dressed pretty normally. As to their actual (traditional comics) costumes, left to right (if they're playing who I think they are), are a cop, a fairly practical combat outfit, hot pants and a T-shirt, and fishnets under a leotard with high heels. The one not pictured is high heeled thigh boots with a leotard.

The good: They included Bud and Lou (Harley's hyenas.)

The bad: Cassandra (the Asian woman) smiles too much, which makes me worry for her character (Orphan is one of my favorite Batman Family characters.)

Honest opinion: The trailer didn't make me want to see the film. My love of DC makes me want to, but the trailer didn't get me excited at all.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:22 pm That looks like at least 30 percent Joel Schumacher...which is 30 percent too much Joel Schumacher.

Also, why are most of them dressed like strippers? Aren't some of them supposed to have actual costumes beyond those found on a Victoria's Secret discount rack?
Nevertheless, there will be Gamergate Incel Fanboys complaining about Man-Hating Feminism because this time Harley is wearing pants.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:26 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:22 pm Also, why are most of them dressed like strippers? Aren't some of them supposed to have actual costumes beyond those found on a Victoria's Secret discount rack?
I'm not seeing it.
:think: Not sure what to say. Even the still image on the video above proves my point in my opinion.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The still shows four women. One is dressed like a 'stripper', yes. One is wearing a spaghetti-string bare-midriff top and normal pants (I've seen other pictures, and they're not really even form-fitting.) The other two are wearing jackets. That's one that fits your description, two that don't, and one that, honestly, is showing a little skin, but nothing like a 'Victoria's Secret discount rack.'
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I’m not gonna try to convince you if you don’t see it. That trailer made me think I was watching the one for Hustlers, that J Lo movie about strippers doing a heist or something.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I get what you're saying, I just don't agree that it's as extreme as you suggest. The trailer was about 90% Harley, and they kept the stripper look she sports in the comics for her, for good or ill. The other characters included one bare midriff, one very skimpy top with loose bell bottoms, and two who wore loose fitting jackets like they were from a cold city the whole time.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I think it looks great. On the other hand, Suicide Squad also looked great in its trailer, and that movie was decidedly Not Great.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This may sound silly, but since I had never even heard of Harley Quinn before the release of the Suicide Squad film, is she not a villain? Are we supposed to root for her as some sort of anti-hero or is she just a straight out criminal?

I know that The Joker is a villain, but the new Joker movie looks like it's going to tell the story about how someone (possibly an everyman) could get to that point. Maybe he'll be like Walter White or Michael Corleone in that we were originally on his side, but then he became a total monster. That's very appealing to me.

I have no idea what Harley Quinn or this movie will be about. That's one of several reasons I'm not interested in this film.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think you're supposed to root for her and crew like how you're supposed to root for Thelma and Louise.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:46 am This may sound silly, but since I had never even heard of Harley Quinn before the release of the Suicide Squad film, is she not a villain? Are we supposed to root for her as some sort of anti-hero or is she just a straight out criminal?
Welcome to the age of the anti hero. It started a few decades ago, believe it or not. Bad folks are now good folks because they do what the average joe or judy can't in our society, and the motives of good folks are now always suspect.

Speaking of the new Joker film: I can understand why some are upset about it in our current culture, but I honestly think we've seen this story before countless times in films. Not sure why it's getting singled out in light of that.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Got it. I just wasn't sure if she was a villain or antihero in the comics. I'm guessing that switched as time went on.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not really just comics, to be fair. Walter White, Tony Soprano, Dexter Morgan...the age of the antihero is found everywhere these days.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:09 pm It's not really just comics, to be fair. Walter White, Tony Soprano, Dexter Morgan...the age of the antihero is found everywhere these days.
It's funny though, because a lot of these shows are pretty clear in painting their subject unsympathetically, yet people can't help but root for someone if they're the main character. Breaking Bad in particular makes super clear from the getgo that Walter White is a toxic asshole, but people still root for him (and hate on his wife).
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I never thought Breaking Bad made that clear from the beginning. We thought he was just a guy willing to do something bad to help his family. I didn't realize he was a total sociopath until several seasons in. I held out hope for him.

I would say that we were clear on Tony Soprano from day 1 though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:03 pm Got it. I just wasn't sure if she was a villain or antihero in the comics. I'm guessing that switched as time went on.
She didn't start out as a villain. As always, it's comes back to the story.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Walter White did start as a genuinely good character...from what we were shown. But as time went on, we got to see what was really going on in his head. I suspect he always Heisenberg, he just kept it in check.

Also, fun fact: Harley isn't actually from the comics. She moved there eventually, sure. But she was an invention of the great Batman: The Animated Series.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:45 pm I never thought Breaking Bad made that clear from the beginning. We thought he was just a guy willing to do something bad to help his family. I didn't realize he was a total sociopath until several seasons in. I held out hope for him.

I would say that we were clear on Tony Soprano from day 1 though.
The show is clear from the beginning that Walter's doing what he's doing for pride and for power, and not to help his family. Remember that his former (now fabulously wealthy) partner offers to pay his medical bills, but he turns that down (and doesn't tell his wife about the offer). If it weren't for that you could argue that he started down his path out of a genuine desire to care for his family; with that I think it's clear that it was always about pride for him (he also tells Skyler that pretty explicitly towards the end of the show).

He definitely gets progressively worse over time, but he's an asshole from pretty much the beginning.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Sure, he tells her that at the end of the series, but I'm saying that the show didn't portray him as a bad guy from the start, as was done with Tony Soprano. Walter took pride in his ability to make the best meth around, but we had no idea that he would eventually not care about doing things like stuffing a child into a barrel of acid.

True, his pride and resentment of his former partners made him refuse offers to help. That wasn't really a clue that he was a sociopath though.